what video games could make great movies?

Over the years we've seen countless video game based movies that fall flat (or suck balls). Are there any games out there that COULD make a great, enjoyable movie that remains dedicated to the game it was inspired by?

Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising… all pretty much the same thing.
Silent Hill
Dead Space… do we need another ALIEN franchise?
Metal Gear Solid
BioShock
(the ‘in-development’ BioShock movie has apparently been canned…)
Infamous
Uncharted
Heavy Rain

The best though… Gears of War. Just don’t allow wrestlers to play anybody!

Aw, sh!t.
Where to start defiling... ?
Um... ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_of_video_arcade_games

Space Invaders - traditional sci-fi
Centipede - a gore-fest just waiting to happen
Pac-Man - could be a perfect family movie
Galaga - my all time favorite game. (I once spent three hours getting to level 251, had to quit for some other more pressing issue with about 18 lives still left).
Berzerk - I think this is the premise of the Resident Evil series
Tempest - love the movement on this game, could make for some wicked film sequences
Xevious - could put some pu$$y film like ID4 to shame

Never a video game, but... can't wait til the DVD comes out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSPYtlWxmho

Last edited:
Man, I would kill for a proper Zelda movie. Exploring the Ivalice world in a film (Final Fantasy Tactics, XII, etc) could be good too, and way better than the first FF movie. Also, anyone remember the Drakan games? Particularly the first on the PC (with it's fantastically down ending) would make for a great film.

But, for me, hands down Fatal Frame.

Oh, and, yes, mad_hatter, we DO need another ALIEN franchise! As many as possible!

Pit of war would make a intresting movie....

Also not al Movies based on a game are bad....look at Uwe Boll only good movie: Postal!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnB6FEGOhq8

Man, I would kill for a proper Zelda movie. Exploring the Ivalice world in a film (Final Fantasy Tactics, XII, etc) could be good too, and way better than the first FF movie. Also, anyone remember the Drakan games? Particularly the first on the PC (with it's fantastically down ending) would make for a great film.

But, for me, hands down Fatal Frame.

Oh, and, yes, mad_hatter, we DO need another ALIEN franchise! As many as possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCzkz3gHb8

Muahaha

But, for serious, I'm with you! I'm a lifelong Final Fantasy fan, if I had money I'd be doing some Squaresoft Fan Films for sure. Been DYING to do Kingdom Hearts for ages.

A Modern Warfare Trilogy would be pretty cool I think! Never really liked the game, but I like the story definitely!

It'd be something like The Expendables. Only, with stronger writing :D

Half-Life would be a fun movie, and with a more fleshed-out story, Portal/Portal-2 would be freakin' awesome.

Wat about Teteris? 30 people are lockt down in glas cubes. There is a computer in each cube wit Teteris. The game starts and as the game progres, the cubes. are filt with water....If a line is removed, some water drowns away.......only 20survive the first round.....and now its
1vsv1

Would be a darm hot movie. Combination of the cube and Saw.

Surprised it hasn't been said but Red Dead Redemption has a pretty neat, traditional Western storyline...

I would also like to see a good version of Uncharted. Sort of replacing Indiana Jones now that Harrison Ford is in his late 80s.

Would love to see a Fifa '08 film adaptation as well...

Uncharted would be phenomenal. Assassin's Creed as well.

Though, given the history of movies based on videogames and just how bad they are I'd be nervous about any title. Gamers experience games as the protagonist across a story that's usually 8-40 hours or somewhere in between. Shortening that to hours watching the protagonist usually alienates the built-in fans. Non-gamers couldn't give a flip, in fact being based on a game may be a turn-off.

There's also the stuff you run into when they do movies based on cartoons. Stuff in the animated world can get away with murder. You don't actually see Master Chief jump 12 feet, you experience. Seeing it in 3rd person live-action defies the laws of physics your brain wants to accept, making it hard to watch.

But yeah, Uncharted would be great if done right and actually plays sort of like a movie. Just finished the 3rd one and thought the same thing.

The first Mortal Kombat movie was very successful. The characters were flushed out well.

Resident Evil has been successful.

Tekken is in production. I'm hoping it has a good script and a good director.

I'm trying to think of the name of a vampire video game with interesting characters that would make a great movie . . . Soul Reaper! I believe that is the name.

Tekken was finished a while ago.

I know two people that were overseas on the production.

Apparently, it's bad.

Uncharted's being deliberated on, but just got a director shift. Don't trust him either.

Are you kidding me? The characters were flat and uninteresting, and what little plot existed was bland and incoherent.

I think I was like 16 when I watched it and it blew my mind in theaters.

We went home screaming and re-enacting it for a good two or three weeks afterward.

Just watched it recently on Netflix and it's pretty bad, but still fun.

The closest I've seen a video game adaptation hit the mark is SILENT HILL, and that definitely needed some tweaking.

The real issue is this: you experience most video games as the story progresses, being PART of the story. And, most video games with stories are based on movies or something else. Same thing with anime.

Uncharted is a culmination of every other adventure movie that's been there and done that.

That said, though, there are some of us who've been living with controllers in our hands from birth (it was Atari for me, and literally since birth, from then on I've never gone without a video game console in my home) and really get what it's about.

Just need to get into the writer/director's seat and make it happen.

* Deus Ex
* Dragon Age (being done sortof by Felicia Day)
* Halflife (some awesome fan films out there)
* Portal (same as HL)
* Dead Space
* Starcraft
* Crysis

Those are a few on my mind.

As of now, no one has cast Nathan Fillion in Uncharted, and that makes me sad!

I will also mention that I watch, and enjoy, every video game movie I can get my hands on (albeit most of them in Bad Movie Enjoyment Mode). It is a shame about Uwe Boll. Somewhere, at the beginnings, Alone In The Dark could have been a good movie, before the scads of rewrites, addition of car chases, etc, ect, dear god etc.....

In addition to the lack of interaction problem, another major issue with video game adaptations is the fanbase. If it's too much like the game, then only gamers will like it, and that's a much smaller audience than general movie fans. If you change too much, then your core fanbase will hate it. And video gamers (spoken self-depreciatingly) are mostly a contentious lot who love to complain.

Or easily excited fanboys who LOVE EVERYTHING!!! (I think I'm actually in the minority there)

Back