What music do you listen to?

So sometimes I wonder if filmmakers might have something in common for music even if only a small similarity but still greater than the general publics similarity. Now it may or may not be true. But just through down some of your favourite and genres and maybe we might find something.

List of bands/musicians:

Lou Reed
Velvet Underground
Ramones
The Damned
Sex Pistols
The Beatles
The Who
Ennio Morricone
Muse
Bob Dylan
The Band
The Pixies

I've got a lot of favorites. However, my two favorites are so far head-and-shoulders above the rest that they deserve their own category:

Bob Marley and Stevie Wonder.

I tend to stick with R&B, but enjoy other genres.

Nice list, B/N. Agree with pretty much everyone you listed.

However, there is only one real musical performer worth mentioning in the last 20 years.

Springsteen.

-C

American Football, Anamanaguchi, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Animal Collective, Architecture in Helsinki, At the Drive-in, Black Lips, Black Moth Super Rainbow, The Blood Brothers, Boards of Canada, Bright Eyes, CAKE, The Clash, Dirty Projectors, Eagles of Death Metal, El Ten Eleven, Elvis Costello, Gang of Four, Islands, Jaguar Love, Joanna Newsom, Lightspeed Champion, Man Man, The Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Mr. Bungle, Neutral Milk Hotel, Old Crow Medicine Show, Phish, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Ratatat, Shpongle, Shugo Tokumaru, Team Teamwork, Test Icicles, The Unicorns, TISM, Tokyo Police Club, Ween, Weezer (only the Blue Album and Pinkerton, though, ugh), Why?

Plenty of others, but these are my 'staples'.

Come and ask me after 20 years. We'll see if they can still hold their water.

:D

FYI, Charles, ROC only speaks the language of sarcasm.

If we're talking modern pop artists, I think the one that will stand the test of time -- wait for it -- and I'm not joking -- Justin Timberlake.

Let the public ridicule commence. I'm okay with it.

FYI, Charles, ROC only speaks the language of sarcasm.

If we're talking modern pop artists, I think the one that will stand the test of time -- wait for it -- and I'm not joking -- Justin Timberlake.

Let the public ridicule commence. I'm okay with it.

What are you a WOMEN?! You play ball like a girl! haha sorry, just had to say it...even though I don't disagree. :lol:

Justin is a true artist, he constantly reinvents himself and is in it for the love of music, not necessarily the money.

I'm a huge fan of 80's metal; especially the new wave that came out of Great Britain.
smiley_rock.gif

Also a lot of the 70's influences, such as Sabbath & Deep Purple. Throw in a bit of the early goth scene, to round it off.

The older I get, the less exposure to newer material I find. Maybe I just like what I like.

Oh ya, here's an edit: Very NSFW ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA

Last edited:
For my own personal enjoyment I love classic progressive and hard rock - The Who, Deep Purple, Mountain, ELP, Yes, Nektar, Genesis, Strawbs, etc. I am also partial to 80's Punk/New Wave/Alternative (Crowded House, REM, The Police, Dead Kennedys, The Ramones, etc.) and classic R&B/Soul/Funk.

The Beatles are, of course, a whole genre of their own.

Ok ok I'll be real for a minute:

I listen to:

1. Jimmy Eat World
2. The Temper Trap
3. John Mayer
4. Goo Goo Dolls
5. Angels and Airwaves
6. Weezer

Honorable mentions:

- Rascal Flatts_Life is a Highway. One of my favorite songs of all time.
- New Found Glory
- Michael Buble
- Daughtry
- The Killers
- Owl City
- U2
- Vertical Horizon
- The Fray
- Coldplay

Last edited:
Wombat,

CAKE is from my hometown - I know them.

Buddy of mine is in the concert shot in the inside flap of Weezer's Green album.

You and I have very very very similar music interests.

I also forgot to say I like Michael Jackson...

I also bump Seal from time to time. I like that song "Fly like an eagle".

Oh man I forgot about Imogen Heap.

And Papa Roach.

Man the list goes on:

Dave Matthews Band.
Blue Man Group.
Beck.
Blink 182.
All American Rejects.
Our Lady Peace.
Switchfoot.
When in Rome.
Splender.
One Republic.
Lifehouse.
Flickerstick.
Death Cab for Cutie.

Oh, one of my all time favorites is BT.

But, being first and foremost a music engineer, I have learned to like all types of music. Even Jazz..

Last edited:
The Toadies
Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden
Chris Cornell
Audioslave
Alice In Chains
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue
AC DC
Weezer
The Presidents of the United States of America band
Sublime
Green Day
The Smashing Pumpkins
Pearl Jam
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Rage Against The Machine
Beastie Boys
eminem
Offspring
Led Zepplin
Doors
Queens of the Stone Age
Monster Magnet

Last edited:
Also, you can go ahead and thank myself and Liverpool for the Beatles. :P

I'm also still a Vinyl guy, helluh three records for a pound sterling, helluh helluh helluh.

Just saw RUSH last night in Camden NJ (and not for the first time, mind you...). It's really amazing how these guys can still be putting on incredible 3+ hour live shows after so many years...36 since their first album.

if not live then it has to be vinyl or flac:

bonobo
nick drake
mr scuff
ernest ranglin
fink
the dragons

many many more, but youtube any of those and you will find some good tunage!

Well, let's see....

The last CD's I've purchased:

Godsmack
Sevendust
DEFTONES!
Hole - Nobody's Daughter is actually a really good CD regardless of what you think of Courtney Love

I am hoping to go to Rockstar Mayhem this year. That includes Rob Zombie, KoRn, Five Finger Death Punch. Plus one of the local bands that I did a short doc for is going to be performing on the Jagermeister stage in Clarkston.

Otherwise, I am a fan of:

Alice In Chains
Suffocation
Rage Against The Machine
Bad Brains
Black Flag
OZZY
Disturbed
Slipknot/Stone Sour
AC/DC
Pantera
Black Label Society

And what music collection would be complete without TOOL.

As you can see, I don't listen to alot of Pop Music.

-- spinner :cool:
"Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution,"
smiley_rock.gif

Last edited:
Back