Web Series Development

I am about to (finally) begin production on two web series. One of the series is mine and the other is my producer's. I have my location and props for my series and my producer is finalizing things for hers. Thanks to posts on this very forum, I will wait to post any of the episodes until I have 5 to 8 in the can and ready to go. That way I can upload new content on a set schedule and have a little leeway if I have a production setback.

I did some test shots to get a feel for what I was still lacking. My audio is passable for YouTube and my camera settings are fine. The lighting leaves a bit to be desired, so I will tend to that this week. I did notice a wardrobe issue that I have since remedied. I am writing my dialogue and coordinating the other presenters so that I can record multiple episodes worth of each of their segments at a time. Then I will spend a day or so in the studio shooting my coverage. Finally I will edit together the shows and begin uploading them. I would like to stick to the 5 minute mark.

Promo shooting is scheduled for this Sunday.

Good luck! Or break a leg... what is the appropriate well wishing when it comes to film/video production?

I have a 30ish second video that has a 3 and a half minute commercial in front of it. That is ridiculous. Who is going to sit through almost four minutes of commercial to watch a 30 second clip. My current thinking is that I am best served by not having the commercials at all and just pushing my merch.

I've been feeling the same way... I am getting very tired of the commercials, and when it seems like the commercial time exceeds (or is even half) of what I'm attempting to watch, I must admit I just close the window down.

Can you choose which videos are monetized in YouTube? Otherwise, it seems like making a promo channel in addition to the regular one might be useful.

CraigL

I have a 30ish second video that has a 3 and a half minute commercial in front of it. That is ridiculous. Who is going to sit through almost four minutes of commercial to watch a 30 second clip.
Good luck with the series. Am looking forward to seeing it.

I'm not understanding something though. I use youtube a fair amount and the only ads I seem not to be able to skip are for no more than 15 seconds or so. I have never had to sit through a 3 and half min ad.

Obviously as soon as I can skip an ad, I do.

I don't know anything about youtube monetization but if someone has to sit through a 3 and a half min ad for you to get eg 30 seconds of content and you get eg 10 cents then I agree, no one's going to do it.

A youtube monetization question: does someone have to sit through the whole ad in order for the channel owner to get paid? I.e. if you watch the first 15 seconds or so then skip, the channel owner does not get paid?

p.s. I'm sure you have read this (unlike me yet) but just in case...

https://www.youtube.com/yt/playbook/

Last edited:
You are correct, if the viewer does not watch the entire ad, I get nothing. I don't see many people sitting through a 3 1/2 minute ad for any video, much less one of mine. If the ad isn't too long, I will sit through it so that the content provider can get paid.

On the upside, I shot the footage for the first promo last night. Now I just need to find the time to edit and upload it.

I have to reshoot my promo because I referred to a piece of equipment by the wrong name. It is a critical failure. I downloaded a teleprompter app for my iPad and I will script things out from here on.

Well, it is officially time to replace the model. She is having financial troubles and is picking up every extra shift that she can at work. This does not leave her much time to commit to the web show. I understand her difficulties but must have someone that I can rely on. The search is on. My producer has three potential models for me to check out. Too bad the first one was so perfect for the role.

Last edited:
I am about to (finally) begin production on two web series...<snip>

My audio is passable for YouTube ... .

L.H., sounds exciting!

And you might re-think your audio quality. Get the best equipment you can afford, hire a sound recordist with his/her own. Aim for a quality level *above* YouTube. In the future you may want to put your segments on Vimeo, or some other venue, where the sound quality will be more apparent. Sub-par audio can be a real turn-off and you don't want to take your viewers away from watching all your segments.

Best of luck, keep us up to date!

Had a really good interview with a potential replacement for the model. This one is finishing up her degree in Film/Theater Studies and has a very impressive resume. She is a little light on the firearms skills, but she is willing to learn and I happen to be an instructor. Once she finishes her final exams, she should be good to go.

Here is a pic of the replacement. She has a very impressive resume.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 73
The first promo for my web series "Inside The Bunker" is now up on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/nfOvJAb3M6c

I shot it with a Sony Handicam and edited with iMovie. I even used the on camera audio and no sound deadening material in the all concrete block room. You may wonder why I would do that when I have much better equipment and software, it was to show that you can make shorts without a lot of expensive gear and software. As always, constructive criticism is welcome.

I just finished shooting another promo for Inside The Bunker. For this one, I am trying a new audio edit that I hope will give me acceptable results. I have also been getting some advise on sound treatment from the audio gurus and I hope to have the major bugs worked out before I start shooting the full episodes in a week.

Back