UCLA, USC, or Chapman?

okay i'm 17 right now senior in high school, getting ready for college. now ever since senior year started all i was thinking about was college. at first i really wanted to go to CSULB but now i'm leaning towards CC and then transfer to either these three colleges, UCLA, USC, or Chapman. my question is which one of these colleges will help me get a job in the industry after graduation. i know it's how much you effort you are willing to put to get into these jobs, but which of these schools will help me more. now i heard USC film program has a lot of alumnis that get a job more quickly though it is really really competitive. , true? i dont think money will be a issue, government payed almost all my 2 sisters/brothers college fees, but i will still be applying for scholarships and such. and i heard that the government won't give me as much financial aid if i go to a school primarily for arts (Chapman), true? anyways i would like to hear your guys opinion about these. you guys could also recommend me other schools close to the LA area. and dropping out is not an option.

I am in the same exact position as you so I have a strong temptation to advise you wrongly so you don't take my spot!

However I won't. USC has the best reputation as a film school. Its also the most expensive, though apparently that is not a problem for you.
UCLA also has an amazing reputation and both schools can prepare you for a career in filmmaking and give you a lot of advantages (industry standard equipment, production based, in Hollywood's backyard, a lot of employment opportunities, etc.)

I personally don't like Chapman. It doesn't have much of a reputation for a film school and I couldn't find appropriate information on their site.

Other good schools for film include: San Francisco State University, UCSD, CSU LA, UCSB. I don't believe UCSD or CSU LA is production based but they are great schools to teach you about filmmaking.

From my knowledge, Chapman has been getting a better rep about their film and tv productions.

That1guyy: Also, San Francisco State U is a good film school?
From what I've heard, it wasn't that reat.

UCLA is a fantastic film school. I know that lots of directors go back to UCLA, their alma matter to get people for their films. Tim Burton gets all of his animators and whatnot straight out of UCLA.

Indeed, USC is the film school with best reputation. If money is not a problem (especially if the government is paying instead of your parents), then this should be your first choice. There's a lot of prestige involved.

UCLA is the most competitive. I believe they only admit 25 students each semester into their film program. Not a whole lot. But still a prestigious school.

Why did you change your mind about CSULB? They also prepare you really well. It is perhaps the best equipped CalState to teach film/video production.

I've been going through exactly the same process!

I dont know if it is possible for you to tour the campuses of these schools, but if you can i HIGHLY recommend it.

I myself was pretty dead set on USC initially. I knew of their prestige and rep in the industry. However I also made sure to tour Chapman, because I had heard good things.

After the campus tours... my opinion and preference has shifted 100%. Chapman basically reached out and hugged me. Everyone was friendly, small student population, gorgeous campus. And the film school was AWESOME. I had a private tour (guess it was a slow day) from a Freshman in the program. He showed me completely through the studios, sound stages, foley room, motion capture studio, editing bays, audio mixing studios, 500 seat preview theater with 3D HD projectors.... the whole 9 yards, everything top of the line. Students can access facilities 24/7. Seriously. Got an idea at 2 in the morning? Keycard into the building and start working. Additionally, alumni have access to equipment, resources, and stage space AFTER they have graduated!! Fill out a schedule form, and you are in! No rental charges, nada. That is seriously cool.

USC.... is definitely a prestigious university. Massive campus, very educated students, but TONS TONS TONS of people. Medium city sized. As for the film school... my impression was that there was SO much money invested into equipment... that they are almost scared to let students near it. From the mouth of my 'tour guide' who actually mainly talked about admission; "Ya, we have awesome facilities! I wish i could show you, but they are behind a lot of locked doors which I don't have keys to." I felt that was very representative of the school. You have to take large numbers of GE classes before you really launch into the film program. Not so at Chapman; you take classes for your film major from freshman year on out, constantly.

Chapman may not have quite the rep that USC does, but they are RAPIDLY coming up in the industry. They have plans laid out for millions of dollars in expansion culminating in a 'film village' with backlot and even more sound stages, and are very aggressive in expansion programs; part of the benefit of all the tuition they charge, I guess. Speaking of tuition... they are several thousand dollars a year cheaper than USC. Not much, but every bit helps.

I've been pouring myself into this research for the last few months, but visiting made all the difference. If you have any questions about campuses or anything just let me know....
Best of luck!

well yeah csulb is back on my mind again, so im considering it haha, that is if i get accepted, if i dont then i will cc-transfer.

@TOCProduction yeah i feel that Chapman's enviroment seems better than USC, and that there are a lot of rich kids :O but the thing about chapman IMO is that it is in Orange county which is like a 30-40 minute ride to LA for internships whether UCLA and/or USC is like a 10-20 minute. of course there are other internships in the OC but idk. so as of right now my choices would be 1) USC 2) Chapman 3) UCLA (considering if i get a a huge finacial aid)

if you have anything you want to add write it :)
thanks for you opinions!

okay ive crossed out UCLA from the list cause im more into private univ. im going to cc and choices are 1) Chapman 2) USC 3) LMU. the thing with USC is that i have to take different classes cause the courses are nontransferable if i take classes for Chapman. And i want to get out of cc as fast as i can. but im still having mixed opinions from chapman and usc.

Hey Ash,

UCLA will be a lot cheaper yanno..and its got a fantastic rep. Oh also, I take back what I said about Chapman up there^ I visited Dodge College and it is very good. They have a lot of resources and goodies that more well known schools do. However, it definitely is smaller than USC's film school.

Another thing I thought I'd share with you is that in the past few months, I have decided against film school. After talking to a lot of film majors, admissions, counselors, and doing some iof my own research, I concluded that film school is not right for me. Sure, if I do go to film school, I would have the time of my life and be very happy. However, I decided to pursue a degree into something that can give me financial stability when I graduate. Film can be a hobby for now, and not my only way of making ends meet and paying offf debt.

Just my two cents and hopefully I didn't ramble.

i'm also 17 and looking at film schools! but on the east coast. i would love to go to USC but i dont have the grades, my dad went there and Stephen Spilberg and George Lucas were teachers of his! Im so jealous haha

how are you guys grade wise?!? because those are crazy hard schools to get into. or are you relying on your portfolio?

Also does anyone know of anything good coming out of SVA in NYC

I'd like to say this,

if film is your passion,

I'd save the $150,000 worth of debt you're about to incur and skip the school.

Many LA Film School grads as well as USC grads continually tell me they would have rather saved the time and money.

Learning on the job is IMHO the best way to go about it..

thanks for responses.
that1guyy: i hope everything works out with that and that youll be happy with what you do in the future.
laurenvictoria: im starting school soon as a transfer so ima work my butt of and hopefully get 3.8 but the thing is ive never really had EC so i gotta build that up.
ROC: government will play 95% of it since of my low income :( but :) . well as a lot of people say, film school would be for the internships/connections.

AH! By all means take it up on 'em. Go for it.

It's not that I think college is bad, but I hate to see the debts people get when they just want to LEARN...

In that case, with the further data you provided, go for USC. Lots of good filmmakers have come out of there.

I wish you the best of luck.

AH! By all means take it up on 'em. Go for it.

It's not that I think college is bad, but I hate to see the debts people get when they just want to LEARN...

In that case, with the further data you provided, go for USC. Lots of good filmmakers have come out of there.

I wish you the best of luck.

thanks man you too

They are all pretty prestigious universities. Just apply to all of them, and only start worrying once you get accepted into more than one.

I don't mean offense by the way, just saying, the competition is fierce.

Back