Tomato

I'm tempted, but my brain is still grinding away on that pallet movie. Not that I have time to make that either, but there is always at least 2% of my brain dedicated to grinding away. I could of course combine the two.

Ok, I think I've got it.

This kid is from this super poor family, and they are all starving, and the whole family only has a single dollar left. The mother and father argue about whether to spend the last dollar on this or that, and go to bed with the dollar laying on the table.

That night, the kid is over at a friends house, and they are looking through the internet on the friends dad's computer. They're scrolling through Temu and the kid's eyes widen in disbelief as he looks at the ad for this giant pallet for only 1 dollar. He writes down the address for Temu and the ordering number and goes home. That night, while everyone is asleep, he writes a sincere and personable letter to Temu, thanking them for the opportunity to purchase such an amazing thing, and explaining how it will change his whole family's destiny. He walks alone down to the post office in the dead of night, puts the 1 dollar in the envelope, seals it and drops it into the slot in the side of the wall.

The next day his parents are furious. He tries to explain that he has found a way to save the family, buy purchasing a giant crate of unwanted American luxury excess using their last dollar, and they need simply wait until it arrives, and all will be well forever, as they sell off the treasures within.

His parents break down in tears at their child's naiveite, understanding his honest mistake, and trying to make the most of what food they had left as the weeks passed and fall turned into winter.

But then something unexpected happened. On the day when they all thought they would finally starve, having exhausted their remaining food days back, they were shocked to see a large cargo helicopter descending from the sky, with an enormous pallet swinging below it on a chain. They watched in awe as the chopper descended to land right in front of their ramshackle house, as people from the neighborhood crowded about to watch it carefully set down the palate in the front yard, disconnect the chain, and quickly ascend back into the sky.

The three of them stood there, looking at this item the size of a jeep that had been dropped in their front yard, but after a moment, the kid ran up and began frantically tearing away the packaging. A moment later his mom and dad brought out some kitchen knives and helped, curious themselves.

As the crowd stood around watching with baited breath, time stood still for a moment as the kid opened the lid of one of the dozens of identical sized boxes, and pulled out an item, holding it up in the air as the sun gleamed and sparkled on it's plastic bag covering. It was a BLT sandwich, but not at all an average one. It looked to him like the BLT sandwiches that were pictured in the photographs on restaurant menu signs. A perfect specimen, a model sandwich, a BLT for the ages.

The moment was quickly shattered, when a man in the crowd yelled out, "there's no way that's still fresh". Almost defiantly, the starving kid unwrapped the sandwich and took a bite. A hush fell across the crowd and you could actually hear him chew because the crowd was so quiet. A long moment later, he once again thrust the sandwich high above his head and proclaimed loudly "It's great!"

The townsfolk gather around and he hands out free sandwiches as his hungry parents were happily eating.

They spend the rest of the day carrying the heavy boxes inside the house, and decide that night at dinner to open one box a day, laughing and imagining that each box might hold a new surprise, perhaps jewelry to sell, or new clothing.

And the next day, they gathered round the second box, and opened it together. What they saw shocked them. It was another identical box full of BLT sandwiches. They could not hide their disappointment from each other, but they tried, and his father said "we will have plenty to eat today". And so they did.

But later that day, a neighbor came by, and told them that she could not stop thinking about the incredible BLT sandwich they had given her the day before, and offered to buy some if there were any left. They sold her three for ten dollars, and the mom came up with the idea of calling some other neighbors, to see if they wanted any before the sandwiches went bad.

Within just a few hours, they had emptied the box, and made hundreds of dollars.

The next day, the same thing happened, but with more people showing up. Soon the father built a food stand in the front yard, after tiring of people knocking at the door. Business was constant, and they would sell all the sandwiches in a box each day. But it was becoming very strange after a week, when the sandwiches were still exactly as they were on the first day, perfect specimens of a food magazine cover model sandwich.

And they weren't the only ones who realized it. Soon word had spread of these "magic BLT sandwiches" that never went bad, and a team of scientists from a metropolitan university came to examine the sandwiches. They paid the family $5000 dollars for a "research specimen" because it was what the university had told them to offer, and took the sample back to a huge lab.

Several weeks passed, and it was abundantly clear at this point that the sandwiches were indeed immortal. Not one of them had aged a day. The newspaper showed up one morning, and the front page headline was "Scientists Discover the Cure for Aging""

The entire family became celebrities, bought a new home, and got cameo roles in a series of terrible sitcoms before founding a national restaurant chain centering around varieties of food that actually looked like the ones on the menu when you got them, and could be kept forever in refrigerator, shining and glistening like an airbrushed photo of a sandwich from a dream.

The kid of course tried to order more pallets from Temu, but his many letters were never answered. One day, in frustration, he got on a jet and flew to China, walking through the city from the address until he found the location where he had sent the original dollar.

When he arrived, there was nothing there but an old abandoned fortune teller machine, half covered in dirt and pushed up against the wall in an alley a few feet from the pin on the map for the address.

He approached it slowly, and put a single quarter into the slot. He gazed on in horror as the cobwebbed animatronic mannequin inside the box came slowly to life, it's eyes fading up into a yellow glow.

Seeming to look him directly in the eye, it's wooden jaw opened a bit, and he heard a single devastating sentence come from it's dying speaker box. "Money can't buy happiness" it paused for a long moment. "For everything else, there's Mastercard"

Analysis: I'll save you the trouble. It's a satire on how Americans perceive credit cards, with heavily plagiarized elements.

Last edited:

Sorry it's not a little better than this, I could only spare like 30 minutes start to finish, so anyway, there you go.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've got it.
I like it. Although maybe a little . . .cerebral. :).

I'm reminded of a story line in Black Jesus, Where Jesus starts a community garden, and his tomatoes are a huge hit because they are filled with God's Grace (i.e. they get people super fucked-up, lol.)

And I'm imagining a limited tv series, in the mysterious vein of Outer Range, Lost, and The Consultant, called The Palate. A mysterious Palate appears in our protagonist's driveway. He calls around, tries to have it returned, but nobody has any idea where it came from. So, finally, he begins to unpack it. I got nothing else lol.

Last edited:
I like it. Although maybe a little . . .cerebral. :).
Everyone's a critic!!! I pen an award worthy screenplay about a BLT sandwich in barely the time it takes to eat one, and it's "Too Cerebral?" First Jazzercise and the music of The Pointer Sisters, and now this? I've already endured such mental trauma at the hands of an uncaring world! Lol, Jk.
Brilliant! But maybe we could switch genres: BLT: The Final Chapter--a slasher film.
That Winnie the Pooh slasher film they just put out might still be competition in the rental and streaming market. This calls for a spreadsheet. What's the domestic gross for something like that? I'm already forming a plan.

Oh and just as a general note, I use a batch spellchecker for the sake of speed, and it doesn't work that great, and often changes words in ways it shouldn't, so sorry that the story was semi illegible for that reason.

Last edited:
BLT: The Final Chapter
Boy grows a tomato, and, as it matures, he can't bear the thought of harvesting it, and decides to let it live out its natural life, caring for it with loving attention--lots of sun, fertilizer, a measured amount of water (Dasani). Until the antagonist shows up (a nasty sibling, a cracker father, or a crazy neighbor or something) brandishing a serrated blade.

Last edited:
Ha. I amused myself with the idea of an apprentice slasher showing up, to his mentor, for a slashing session, carrying a serrated blade--a bread knife. Aye aye aye. "WTF you gonna do with that?" Anyway.

Plot twist at the end - that wasn't bacon you were eating
True story, I actually knew the guy that originally penned the plot twist you're referring to. His name was Harry, and he was hilarious. He told me once on the phone that he was really star struck to meet Charlton Heston. Different time I guess. He was the author of Deathworld, that book I optioned a decade ago. We met when I invited him to have input on how the film was produced. Unfortunately he died right as we were setting up for pre production. People in the US don't know him any more, but he was telling me that he was still huge in Russia, like basically their version of Steven King.

Last edited:
Go easy on the plot twists - I'm still trying to cope with shift from pallets to palates and back to pallets again. 😵‍💫
Yeah, this is what happens when you try to write a plotline by dictating to a speech to text AI and then use a spell nuker to fix everything instantly.

I had decided to try and set a new record lap time, 30 minutes from concept to trailer, and I missed that mark by about 12 minutes. Then I noticed that it had always registered Pallet as Palette or similar, and I went back and started manually correcting them, then the phone rang, then early dinner, then actual work, and so on.

See, this is why you need 70 people and 200 million dollars to write a decent movie about a guy with a cape and a hammer. That extra cash sorts out all the spelling errors. Also, yeah, it was fairly slapped together to the point that it felt like a Roald Dahl novel, and I tried to do two requested plotlines at once, and now that I've written this explanation I'm actually 16 minutes over my "30 minute mile" trial. An absolute failure. I'm starting to think you need at least an hour to write a film and produce a trailer for it. Lol.

And great job finding a use for that spiral eyes emoji.

Last edited:
Update: Pesto-Chango

Have harvested four of these, and now, it seems, there are two to go. My crop was a little disappointing.

F26D94F7-346B-4EDB-BB69-9A7BCA33D710.jpeg .

However, the tomatos, called Black Krum, an old-world heirloom, have been, so far, unusually good. The first one, indeed, became a BLT. The next few I sliced, generously salted, layered with a good motzerella, adorned with fresh basil leaves, and drizzled with olive oil--a deep, rich, sharable little show-offy salad, worth the effort, but disappointing in its transience. As is, I suppose, everything.

I moved this Basil next to the tomatos,

124784FD-2BFC-4582-8C44-DAD8B3F87B67.jpeg

they became, as Celtic Rambler promised above, good companions,

8AB77BB6-BF83-4A8F-9F9E-89C95CAF7682.jpeg

and he thrived. I watch little bees go from flower to flower (they seem to love the stuff) eating, collecting, pollinating, and I am delighted to share Basil with them.

D60048C4-8CDA-476F-81E9-57C41E03A6FB.jpeg

However, while the tomato's fate is, I'm sure for them, not pleasant, the fate of their Basil friend is downright grisly: his beautiful life-giving leaves torn away and given (along with garlic cloves, pine nuts, fresh-grated Parmesan, and some fancy-bottle olive oil) to an evil little monster, to do with what it would.

C01BB1E0-87B6-4288-95D7-97BFAFEFA38D.jpeg

Mr. Basil, meet Mr. Cuisinart.

(Edit: and just revisited the trailer, BLT: The Movie, based on the on the NN novel of the same name--fun and funny stuff :).)

Last edited:
Back