Tinalera's April Fool's Freaky Funk Fantastic Film Fest

I have to hurry up and cut my demo... I have a job to apply for as an adjunct professor of video production.

Well don't let this make you feel pressured (unless you like working under pressure) ;).

I would just hate to see a blown job opportunity for the TAFFFFF "Dang it, worked all that time to cut my demo and I missed out on the Job! I'm hunting you down T!" :lol:

Good luck on the job application! :)

Getting closer for me-getting my footage ready to submit to my composer, so she can start some scoring, I can't wait! :D

Tinalera, for the short time I have known you, you diserve nothing but my respect; but God knows that your avatar creeps me the fuck out.

Tinalera, for the short time I have known you, you diserve nothing but my respect; but God knows that your avatar creeps me the fuck out.

First of all, I don't take offense at that at all-it goes with the territory-when you have a passion for masks like I do, some people get unnerved. :)

Second-what creeps you out about it exactly? (I'm genuinely curious-my films shorts seem to have that same effect for some people as well).

And thanks for the respect Jake, you've got mine too-especially for being honest about it :)

I've decided to make a thread about, so as to keep thread about the fest :)

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=171975#post171975

Last edited:
Well, I'm getting a rough edit done now. I'll be sending it to my composer for her take, so she can get some ideas where she wants to go with it.

Just over 3 weeks away-Getting excited here :) And more importantly getting it DONE-a deadline really can make a difference! ;)

Second-what creeps you out about it exactly?

I think there is something unnerving about the static expression and sense of lifelessness in motion that certain mask designs evoke.

We key so much of reading very very subtle movements in the face and eyes in order to interpret the messages we receive from another person, that when those are lacking there is an ambiguity of message that makes us subconsciously nervous.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. ;)

There a great sci-fi series of books where the police forces have helmets with mirror polished face shields so that anyone they are interrogating has to look themselves in the mirror when answering questions. They also seem to all be speaking at once. Anything one of them says comes out from the speakers of all of them who are present. Creepy.

I think there is something unnerving about the static expression and sense of lifelessness in motion that certain mask designs evoke.

We key so much of reading very very subtle movements in the face and eyes in order to interpret the messages we receive from another person, that when those are lacking there is an ambiguity of message that makes us subconsciously nervous.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. ;)

There a great sci-fi series of books where the police forces have helmets with mirror polished face shields so that anyone they are interrogating has to look themselves in the mirror when answering questions. They also seem to all be speaking at once. Anything one of them says comes out from the speakers of all of them who are present. Creepy.

Yea, the thread I started about it seemed to go along those lines, you can't "read" the face as it were. And that's part of what I'm trying to explore with my pics and shorts- trying to get the idea that masks CAN be used in non-horror/thriller type settings, and used as part of a character to tell a story. What's funny(and again this was discussed) is that it's not like I have a gory/hockeymask/scary type of mask that's normally is intended for that-I am just going for an "average everyday" type face.

The Stepford Wives with masks.....Hmmmmmm LOL

Do you remember the name of the series? That's sounds pretty cool with the mirrors! :D

Yea, the thread I started about it seemed to go along those lines, you can't "read" the face as it were. And that's part of what I'm trying to explore with my pics and shorts- trying to get the idea that masks CAN be used in non-horror/thriller type settings, and used as part of a character to tell a story. What's funny(and again this was discussed) is that it's not like I have a gory/hockeymask/scary type of mask that's normally is intended for that-I am just going for an "average everyday" type face.

The Stepford Wives with masks.....Hmmmmmm LOL

Do you remember the name of the series? That's sounds pretty cool with the mirrors! :D

Ayup:

Technically the second written, but the first one I read:

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tyshalle-Matthew-Woodring-Stover/dp/0345421434

First one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11VYFRMN143S0MP5DMDB

This one, more recent, is the only one that really doesn't work as well without having read the others:

http://www.amazon.com/Caine-Black-Knife-Acts/dp/0345455878/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Also, doesn't really feature 'Soapy' (The Social Police) as much as the other books. Aside from 'Black Knife' they can really be read in whatever order.

Ayup:

Technically the second written, but the first one I read:

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tyshalle-Matthew-Woodring-Stover/dp/0345421434

First one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11VYFRMN143S0MP5DMDB

This one, more recent, is the only one that really doesn't work as well without having read the others:

http://www.amazon.com/Caine-Black-Knife-Acts/dp/0345455878/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Also, doesn't really feature 'Soapy' (The Social Police) as much as the other books. Aside from 'Black Knife' they can really be read in whatever order.

Thanks for those links! I'll have to check them out :) Sounds like a neat idea!

Anytime. Probably one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy "worlds."

Tyshalle is probably the best intro to the concept and the world. There's a really great 1st person POV throughout that I like, although others might find cumbersome. Good books for fans of the grappling arts too.

Okay, I promise, no more thread hijacking. ;)

Anytime. Probably one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy "worlds."

Tyshalle is probably the best intro to the concept and the world. There's a really great 1st person POV throughout that I like, although others might find cumbersome. Good books for fans of the grappling arts too.

Okay, I promise, no more thread hijacking. ;)

:lol:

I just discovered I needed to reshoot some footage-nothing like added pressure! :lol:

That's okay about the hi-jacking-I started it by asking :)

Footage has been sent to my composer! I eagerly await to see what is produced.

I want to thank Cracker for starting this thread, and everyone contributing ideas (and hopefully footage ;)) for the Fest idea. This not only got me editing, but got me reworking and redoing shots that just weren't good enough-it got me out of the "Funk" :)

One week to go before the Fest! How is everyone's progress coming?

I should have my musical score after the weekend, and it will just be tinkering-my footage is pretty much done.

IF for some reason I don't have the score (I should) I will post the completed video footage anyway-doesn't look good if a self named film fest doesn't have said person posting! ;)

This looks like a lot of fun!

Still a week to go! Got any projects you have put off for a long time? Old footage hanging around you never got to use? That's pretty much the inspiration when I posted (and CF suggested and carried the ball) about getting out a Funk (no relation to CF ;))

So now any are ecouraged to post something, doesn't have to be total finished, just something that helped to get everyone out of a "funk" :)

Back