There will be no screening of Wayward Traveler--The show is over.

@ murdock could you please go through my comments and repost where i asked anyone for money? Ive never asked for handout in my life. Yes, you are callous.All I did was post my story and ask for people to repost it. that is not handout. Thanks for making my day 100 times worse by being the person who has to rub salt in the fresh wounds

Sure I'm callous. Here's another story for you, I'll make it short: My wife had three fingers cut off in a work accident. They weren't able to replace them. Guess who was working alongside me in the dog food plant. Tha's right, my wife, missing three fingers and 8 months pregnent. You think I'm someone who doesn't know suffering. Truth is, you really know nothing about me. I could go on but I wouldn't want to waste my time on you.

Last edited:
Man, I hate it when people don't know all the facts:

more info:

When I started this project we were sponsored by Hilton International, the hotel chain. We began filming. We were waiting on a $100,000 check from Hilton. Angie, my contact at Hilton, and an old high school friend called me while we were filming in Death Valley to tell me that the Tsunami in Japan happened. Hilton had 268 displaced employees over there. There withdrew all external sponsorships. At thgis point our credit cards were all maxed out. The sponsorship is still there. They are going to restore funds when the crisis in Japan abates.

So, no I didn't just jump intot his as an unknown person. In fact I was signed to Atalantic Record in the late 90's and part of my income is ASCAP royalty payments. Of course I am not using my real name right now like everyone else in hollywood. I was voted best guitasrist in ohio in 1998 and i have a proven track record for putting out quality art work.

I used to own a silkscreening company in ohio that is still in business. I have to distributors on the east and west coast who have agreed to handle my merch.

Even though this is my first project pertaining to film I have been doing soundtrack work for years.

So, I've a;ready had the rug pulled on me once during this and we kept plugging away

Then three weeks ago a random crazy person attacked me in a gas station in San francisco. She left permanent scars on my face and the police arrested me and charged me with a felony. Then they questioned me for 4 hours trying to get me to admit I did something I didn't. I had to pawn my camera to hire an attorney. The attorney got the video from the gas station, proved the girl was lying, and that the police acted inappropriately. The charges were dropped and the girl is now in jail facing felony assault charges. In the end the situation worked out but I still had to borrow a thoussand to get my camera back and to rent this car to finish the show

then we waled into dollar rent a car

please stop accusing me of being the root of all of this. Ive done everything i could to try to make things happen. It is literally not my fault the tsunami happened to effect my funbing, and it's not my fault--according to my attorney--that Dollar breached our verbal contract

man I just wanted someon e to talk to. Ive been through alot. fuck. I'm sorry for being human.,

Why did you start filming before you had the money?

I do feel for the misfortune you've had. I've been there. You can't sit and mope man. You have to keep moving, no matter what. You will think there is no way. And it will be dark for a time, but you have to keep going. No other way to put it.

You probably should have told us that stuff before. Still, the shoot could have also waited until after you got the funding from Hilton International.

And even if you are well known in other areas, putting all of your money into a project in an area of media that you've not worked in is dangerous. Actors only get away with it because they're well-known in the media (Brad Pitt, David Schwimmer, Ben Stiller, etcetera.) - the people that make soundtracks, not so much. Actors also have experience on-set - soundtrack work does not entail that, as far as I know.

You're still an independent film maker. To put all of your money into it was reckless. You should have waited until they funded you again.

@ uranium city for the record. I dont want pity. I dont want money. I was simply posting an update to my story. I don't like being attacked and I'm not attcking anyne. Please dont close this thread. I have had enough doors slammed in my face

Then three weeks ago a random crazy person attacked me in a gas station in San francisco. She left permanent scars on my face and the police arrested me and charged me with a felony. Then they questioned me for 4 hours trying to get me to admit I did something I didn't. I had to pawn my camera to hire an attorney. The attorney got the video from the gas station, proved the girl was lying, and that the police acted inappropriately. The charges were dropped and the girl is now in jail facing felony assault charges. In the end the situation worked out but I still had to borrow a thoussand to get my camera back and to rent this car to finish the show

then we waled into dollar rent a car

I'm telling you, this is a direct cinema GOLDMINE! Tell THIS story on film...it's a hard story of the nasty turns that this project took. Much like the Wilco movie started as a long-form music video and turned into an awesome rock doc, your travelogue film can turn into a different kind of story. It's right in front of you. I hope you guys can get on your feet and make it. Your post listing all the facts for us was insanely interesting. I think you should tell THAT story. On film.

@ murdock... I'm sorry your wife wqent through that. I hope that when she was in recovery you didnt treat her ther same way you are treating me.

I did make her do her physical therapy when she didn't want to.:) But hey. I bet someone made you do yours when you didn't want to.:)

So I'm done. I'll leave you alone. And I wish you the best of luck.

I'm telling you, this is a direct cinema GOLDMINE! Tell THIS story on film...it's a hard story of the nasty turns that this project took. Much like the Wilco movie started as a long-form music video and turned into an awesome rock doc, your travelogue film can turn into a different kind of story. It's right in front of you. I hope you guys can get on your feet and make it. Your post listing all the facts for us was insanely interesting. I think you should tell THAT story. On film.

This is a pretty good idea. Could be like a Requiem for a Movie.:)

we can all go back and say i should have done this or I should have done that. But in reality everything that has happened has happened. I am trying to deal with it right now. All I was hoping fopr when i came in here was some moral support from my peers. I am a survivor not a victim. As for why I didnt say all this before? I did, it's in another post about a month ago.

what I did was get a green light on funding and went ahead with the project, just like when you apply for a student loan you have to pay for the first semester yourself and then they send you the money. It was my mistake but I had assurances that the money was coming.

@ murdock... I dont want enemies. Right now the only thing I need is friends and I am really really sorry for what happened to your wife, That is awful. I lost the use of my fingers for two years after being an award winning guitarist. I cant image what its like to not have them permanently.

but please know that when i relearned how to walk and all of that I had no one. My wife walked away with my kids. My family wasnt there. I picked myself up again and did it myself with no ones help. I'm not a winer and in spite of being in excruciating pain every day and taking no medication for it i still get up and climb mountains to get beautiful shots.

please can we start over

btw, I am driving the car to the news station in detroit right now and dropping it off in thier parking lot

uranium city And here we are, I don't have the footage foir any of thisd. I dont know how to make a documentary in this way. I'm still learning. Anyone want to make a movie?

What about my idea? You have a classic documentary on your hands. Tell the story of how your project started, the roadblocks you faced, the run-ins with the law, the evil car company, homeless in Denver (or Detroit?), etc.

This is one filmmaker to another. What do you think of this idea? Might be a place to focus your anger. Turn it into something positive.

I don't have the footage foir any of this

You don't necessarily need footage...you can tell the story onscreen in interviews, or in voice over if you go back and shoot exteriors of the locations. There will be a police record on file for the felony charges...you can voice over the story on top of macro shots of the documents.

Check out anything by Errol Morris (The Thin Blue Line) for inspiration. That movie is almost all interviews and re-creations.

Yea let's star over.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, right now? Are you trying to get back home? Stay where you are? What's the plan?

OK. This is just a question:

Would it be wrong for me to not want to capitalize on my own suffering? I'm ready to just forget all of this happened and keep going. Maybe I have my moments of weakness but i am stronger than an ox. I really dont want to be know as the guy who couldnt make a film because the fates decided to not allow him to.

My cameraman is telling me it's already been done anyway.

I don't care about money. I've had money. I don't care about fame, I've done the almost famous thing.

I know this may sound silly but I am intensely private. It took alot for me to even be abale to share the limited things I have been able to share.

This is where we are at:

I am taking my hvx 200, driving to the news station, talking to the news room and asking them to go with us to return the car. Then, who knows. I'll have to go take a job until I can get enopugh money to get back on the road. And let me tell you about how hard it is to get a job when you have been unemployed and on disbility and traveling for 8 years. They dont care about my degree from Berklee, or the U of A, they dont car about me being a filmmaker. They care about stbility, and since this project tanked all I got out of this was the appearance of more instability even thoug I've worked 20 hours a day for the last 6 months straight

the conseqwuences of taking a risk are always there, now i have to deal with them. However, I will never forget that Dollar Rent-A-Car was allowed to to stomp on someone with no recourse.

If I have to call my next procution company: dollar rent a car will screw you productions I will. I am never going away when it comes to them. I will spend the rest of my life going after those sick fucks

If anything I think that story would be somewhat inspirational (as long as it turns out well) and educational for others. The story of how you spent your entire life savings, to then have it backfire completely, and instead of crying in a corner you just made a movie out of that is great. The other day, last months edition of Empire magazine arrived, and one of my favourite parts in it was the section talking about Ben Affleck's fall from grace as an actor and his rise again as a director. People love to hear that kind of stuff.

Would it be wrong for me to not want to capitalize on my own suffering?

It's not wrong for you to want or not want to do anything you want or don't want to do. It just sounds to me like you have a gangbusters story on your hand that's obviously worth telling to us...so why not tell it to a larger audience via your chosen medium? Capitalism has nothing to do with it. You can just be a storyteller.

What good does suffering do if you can't profit by it? Remember Ghandi. He was a professional sufferer. So yea if you can make a buck from your suffering, so much the better. It doesn't mean you have to give up your dignity.

So, you want to find a job. So I'm guessing you plan to stay in Denver awhile. Once you return ther car, do you have any form of transportation? Is there public trans. where you are? Do you get a disability check? If so, is it direct deposit? What's within walking distance of your apt.

Back