There will be no screening of Wayward Traveler--The show is over.

Other than video blogs on a webcam this is the first real piece of film I have ever done. We used a Panasonic HVX 200, Adobe Premeire, and Sonar Producer 8. This is a "trailer" for the show. The show itself is a first person travel show which has a running narrative--directors commentary style--over it with elements of drama and humor. I am trying to show people what i see when i am traveling. We are almost done with the pilot episode. I am looking for objective critcism of the editing, and color correction. While i have no experienc in filmmaking I have been working with audio all the way from reels to Pro Tools for 15 years. I am also an award winning graphic artist.

I'm just wondering if everything I am working for is working...

Any advice would be appreciated as well. I've cleared the first hurdle. I have a working show that i feel is up to broadcast standards, what next?

http://www.youtube.com/user/avidmoviefan

Last edited:
Those are parts pf the show literally sped up. It's a teaser trailer. Something to establish intent that i burned onto a disk to secure my copyright and trademark intent. I guess without actually seeing the show it is kind of hard to understand what is going on in the trailer. But the purpose of this is just to make people want to watch more. I have had a couple responses saying it leaves them wondering what the show is about which is leading them to want to watch it. It seems to be working so far. As far as the length goes I am secure enough as an artists to intentionally break some rules.

Sorry, I'm new at this. I am used to the audio industry term "broadcast standard" which would refer to the overall technical quality of the product, clarity. I am making a second "trailer" right now with a narrative over it. I see a lot of views i was hoping for more criticism and participation.

In fairness you put "trailer" in ""marks. This isn't really a trailer. It doesn't tell us anything about the show. It could be about practical costuming techniques, Foley sound, or any number of things. Also, trailers generally have music of some type to hype us up.

The color is weird. Is it suppose to be "night vision"? If it isn't, I don't understand what the desires effect is.

Well I loved it, everyone has their different styles. That is a common, indie, kinda 1990's style trailer. You dont want to give too much away in a trailer. I liked the imagery and it got me wanting more, but you did need some sort of info. I understand what it is about, you traveled around in an RV i take it, but not sure. It looked cool and interesting. Nice job for your first time.

As a trailer, I think it needs to give a little more hint to what the movie/show is about. Even just a title at the end that gives some hint would help. Or titles over the parts where it's not just driving, giving some indication of what's going on.

Honestly, it seems more like a (short) music video than a trailer. I like it. It's got a distinct style and it held my interest. I was just kind of left with the feeling of "what just happened?" when it was all over.

Wayward Traveler Mini-Docu: Nevada Train/Semi Collision 6.26.2011

I posted the trailer here before. Here is a mini-docu introduction to the show. The pilot episode is almost done. This piece was written, edited, filmed, and scored in 36 hours. I've heard about something called a "48 hour" film project. If I qualify I guess this would be my submission. lol

http://youtu.be/g1Hpo2LfCE0

Probably a very good idea to clean up the audio in the opening shots, especially seeing as the music plays over it the majority of the time - the wind sounds just aren't needed.

The narrator seems unnecessarily bored and disattached from the thing's he's saying, making it feel like he's reading a script.

The shots were nice though, I guess, even if they were of just about nothing for the majority of it. Did you just put the train/semi collision in AFTER coming across it? Just wondering.

Not entirely sure what I was watching though. From the trailer before it pretty much showed the thing was about Big Foot - but the mini-documentary has him travelling by car and then filming the collision of a train for a bit. I'm just confused, if anything.

Not all art has to have a point. The narrator is not bored I assure you of that :) He lives on the road 365 days a year traveling the world.

I live in the RV in the video, recording audio in an RV is not the best place for sound quality or silent rooms. The wind is to let people know it is windy, I guess.

As far as the bigfoot thing... It's a commercial meant to make people want to see more. I got 500 views in ten days on the trailer with no marketing. This one has 50 views in the first 3 hours and other than here no one knows about it.

I guess everyone should know that this is just how I live my life. Whether i was filming or not I would have been in reno to see that wreck. So whether or not this show takes off or ever goes anywhere has no real consequnce for me. I have nothing to lose. I set as goal of making a show. I made one. Lot's of people can start shows or projects but what seperates the men from the boys is actually finishing a project. I still have 20 more episodes to go before I am done filming. I have about 5 episodes ready to go right now.

Honestly I am just trying to make art. That's it. If I get to see the world in the process...

I meant the audio in the first few shots, where they're on the hill and not in the RV. The quality of sound in the RV was fine. And sure, the wind to let them know there's wind makes sense, if there was loud music overshadowing those shots anyway making the wind just seem inappropriate to leave in.

So, this actually is a documentary, as opposed to a scripted show? Okay, that makes more sense. Adding something into the trailer as big as Big Foot without actually delivering on it is a very bad marketing strategy though - people would want to watch it for Big Foot, and not to see a guy driving across the country. You're going to attract the completely wrong audience for it, and you'd have done much better if you'd just marketed it in the trailer as being about your life on the road instead. As it is, the trailer has literally nothing to do with the show, and that's a very bad thing.

I've watched your trailer, and I've watched this, and I still don't know what your show is about. It seems like it almost maybe could be interesting, but the production values seem to be pretty low and I'm not convinced I'd waste my time watching it for an hour.

OK... Bigfoot is in the first episode. That is the shot from the episode minus quite a bit of production that has been done to to it since then. So, if people watch my show they will get bigfoot. We actually went to a place where there have been quite a few bigfoot sightings. That is where we got the costume. So, yeah without revealing my whole show I assure you all of my videos tie in together accurately.

As far as the production value goes it's low because we are completely independant and i am legally disabled. I literally live in the RV in the shots. The first five episodes cost about $10,000 to make. Beleive me i have struggled in ways i can't even explain here to do this.

Attracting a sponsor or an executive producer would help raise the production quality. I never looked at it as low budget. It looks as good as any other discovery channel show. I guess I don't get the "if it's not big budget don't watch it" thing.

Also, this is the first real show and video i have ever made. I did my best.

Oh okay, it's a mockumentary then? I'll keep an eye on it then, it's just the tone switched completely from the trailer to this mini-episode and I was confused as to what was actually happening. Good to know you intend to take the episodes somewhere beyond "guy in an RV".

We need your help... Distress Call.

This is not some crazy attempt at a viral video. n We are literally about to made homeless by a car rental company. I made this video to try to get their attention so we can resolve this issue before we end up out on the street.

Please set aside film for a second and help a fellow filmmaker if you are so inclined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GItedhAd8I

If I can get enough views to intimidate these dicks...

The pricing should be on the contract you signed.

Back