Terminator will be baaaccckkk.

salvation was the biggest piece of crap. at no point did we ever seen more than 2 terminators at the same time..

they even laid a trap for john conner.. WITH ONE MACHINE. What the hell kind of a trap is that?? oh man did i hate that film.
it may have made money but I have no respect for the film

It'd be cool if the new movie didn't negate the continuity of the old movies. Since it deals with time travel, they could've just traveled to a period before, or during the first movie, thereby changing the course of the future. So, those events happened, but time travel changes them.

What did you think of Terminator 3 sfoster?

It had some great car chases. With the firetruck, and later through the graveyard. I study chase sequences extensively and appreciated both of those. As a film I can't remember why exactly it wasn't my cup of tea, but I keep electronic ratings so I know I didn't love it.

My Ratings:

Terminator: 4/5
Terminator 2: 5/5
Terminator 3: 2/5
Terminator S: 1/5

http://moviehole.net/201370901you-cant-start-a-terminator-reboot-without-a-clarke#.UqmcG_QW19w - Here's the fourth John Connor.

In Terminator 3 I liked: female terminator (good for a change), chase sequence, Nick Stahl as John Connor (the way he was made to look a bit like Kyle), Dr Silberman's cameo.

I didn't like: talk to the hand, elton john glasses, cg shot of T-850 re-attaching it's head, that John gets killed in the future.

I rank the films in this order - T2 (5/5), T1 (4/5), T:S 4/5), T3 (3/5)

The novelization of Terminator 2 is excellent because it details the scene where they smash the defense grid and enter Skynet to find the T-800 they re-program and send to the future and you find out how they managed to get their hands on it without being slaughtered.

Last edited:
We all know that the ALIEN series should have ended with ALIENS and the TERMINATOR series should have ended with T-2. The stories were nicely wrapped up. But, they didn't end there....

t3.jpg

TERMINATOR 3 had so much going against it. Many of the original people bailed - writer/director James Cameron, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, DP Adam Greenberg, Composer Brad Fiedel, etc, etc.

Now, add to the mix that Nick Stahl was probably not right for John Connor, nor did I feel that Claire Danes fit the role of Kate Brewster (Connor's future wife). This should have been a disaster and yes, many viewers let the casting and changes bother them. However, this is a pretty good pair of actors, even if they were odd choices.

The good:
Arnold comes back looking great for 57 years old! He also donates a large portion of his salary towards making the car/crane chase the great scene that it was.

Kristanna Loken actually does a good job as the TX terminator model (liquid metal, but with weapons). Her mission is to assassinate Connor's lieutenants, as Connor is off the grid. The expression of shock she shows, after unexpectedly sampling John Connor's blood, is perfect! Terminators aren't supposed to emote, but if one was ever surprised, that's what it would look like. Arnold has mastered the nuances of terminator expressions and Ms. Loken does a nice job, also.

4299_2.jpg

Director Jonathan Mostow, who did a bang up job on BREAKDOWN (with Kurt Russell) gives this movie a good effort. The crane chase, the cemetary shootout and chase, and the memorable terminator bathroom fight are well done.

Storywise, we get to see Skynet go online, attacking humans with prototype T-1's and Hunter Killers; and how the terminator saves John by tricking him into the presidential bunker. It was a really good link to how John Connor becomes the future resistance leader, just by being in the command center. Of course, we get to see Judgement Day happen, as missiles launch around the globe.

Knowing how many personnel changes there were, TERMINATOR 3 actually exceeded my expectations! "Talk to the hand!"

hqdefault.jpg

T3 was OK - I loved "talk to the hand!" but the plot was fairly predictable. The essence of a good story, I think, is for it to keep you thinking.

Great review, Scoopicman. Although I'm glad the series did continue.

Unlike you guys, though, I actually loved T3. It's better than OK. It's probably my favorite of the series.

27_zps24e22561.gif

And hey, I totally fell for T2 when it came out. It totally floored me. I was head over heels for it.

But...T3's even more fun. I admit, having more humor than the rest of them, you could say T3's tone is a bit out of step with the series. But, that's okay with me. I really enjoy it. And actually, one of my favorite things about it is Claire Danes. I wouldn't have really thunk it either, I suspect. But she's awesome in it.

=)

The essence of a good story, I think, is for it to keep you thinking.

I agree with this. T3 is definitely more "plot" oriented. (that is, the events that happen as opposed to character growth/learning). Now, with SALVATION, there is more story in the plot. The ironic thing is that it is less to do with John Connor (Christian Bale) and more to do with the Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington) character! He doesn't even know what he is; his journey of self-discovery is interesting.

Great review, Scoopicman. Although I'm glad the series did continue.

Unlike you guys, though, I actually loved T3. It's better than OK. It's probably my favorite of the series.

27_zps24e22561.gif

And hey, I totally fell for T2 when it came out. It totally floored me. I was head over heels for it.

But...T3's even more fun. I admit, having more humor than the rest of them, you could say T3's tone is a bit out of step with the series. But, that's okay with me. I really enjoy it. And actually, one of my favorite things about it is Claire Danes. I wouldn't have really thunk it either, I suspect. But she's awesome in it.

=)

Richy, I wrote the above review (or comments) because T3 gets a lot of hate and it really doesn't deserve it. I like it, an awful lot! My main beef was with John Connor, himself. He doesn't have much of a journey in this one, but rather has to be put back on track, because frankly, he's kind of a loser. :lol: Nick Stahl looks so weird in the older age makeup, for the future flash-forward scenes. He's not a bad actor, but he's no Edward Furlong or Christian Bale, both who I liked in the part.

I really like the Terminatrix scenes, inflating her breasts for the cop and morphing into her fiance, who sticks his, erm... her hand through the cops' chest and grabs the steering wheel in front of him. I really like those scenes and that was in between some spectacular action! I also liked how she creates a virus in the Arnold Terminator and he smashes that truck hood and reboots; just fantastic. His corrupted power cell was cool, too.

Claire Danes is a good actress and I did like when she machine guns the mini H.K. "You remind me of my mother!" She is actually much more appropriate than Stahl. As I said, a good pair of actors.

Though T3 is more plot oriented, it moves better than SALVATION. There is only one part of SALVATION that really gets me going and that is Connor taking off in the helicopter and getting knocked down by the explosion, all in one take. The giant Terminator (with the motorcycles that come out of it) is also good. But, T3 has this kind of action in spades. I'm a sucker for good chases and T3 is in the top two (right behind T2) in this category.

I agree with this. T3 is definitely more "plot" oriented. (that is, the events that happen as opposed to character growth/learning).

Hmm, plot oriented as opposed to character development. Can you tell me more, Scoopicman? I have a sense of what you mean be plot orientation, but, perhaps if you elaborate, I can get my ideas together. :)

All good points, Scoopicman. Yeah, that one-take helicopter opening really is very cool and worth mentioning. They did a great job with that.

And I couldn't agree with you more about the fantastic chase scenes in T3. You might remember, T3 came out the same summer as Matrix Reloaded, and I remember sitting in the theater watching that great chase scene with the crane and thinking to myself, wow, this is so much better than the much talked about highway chase in Reloaded, and I'm really enjoying it so much more. It's so much more fun.

Anyway, it was for me.

By the way, since you love good chases, please tell me that you love the incredible chases, particularly the one, in Ronin (1998). :)

I think what's important for this next film to do is to tie together loose ends and get everything back on track. Horror franchises like A Nightmare on Elm St for example got to a point where every film tried to add something new to the mythos of Freddy Krueger but contradicted what was previously established - I don't want this franchise to get that far out of hand.

Part of this too is that they need to keep the same actors for the roles in each installment of the new trilogy because chopping and changing all the time (fair enough for Linda Hamilton not returning for a third Terminator because James Cameron wasn't the director) just starts to confuse people.

Hmm, plot oriented as opposed to character development. Can you tell me more, Scoopicman? I have a sense of what you mean be plot orientation, but, perhaps if you elaborate, I can get my ideas together. :)

Plot is what happens. Four guys rob a bank, there is a chase, etc.

Story is character arc, discovery and learning. Screenwriters will often say, how far do we want our character to come? In that case, we have to take him/her back, so that person can make their journey. Lucas based Luke Skywalker on what he learned from the book, Hero With 1,000 Faces. It talks about boys becoming men and the right of passage that different cultures use to have these boys make that transition. The more this character can change the world, the bigger his/her story!

Luke Skywalker is a farm boy, who learns the ways of the Jedi, from a teacher, Ben Kenobi. He basically saves the galaxy from the Empire's Death Star.

In THE MATRIX, Neo must learn to use a body he has never used before. He must also master the skills to be "The One." Ultimately, Neo brings peace to machines and mankind.

John Connor must learn to fight and lead a resistance, which will ultimately defeat machines lead by Skynet.

In THE LAST SAMURAI, Tom Cruise's character learns Japanese culture and how to become a samurai warrior. He sees the way of his own culture as wrongly intruding on the Japanese.

DANCES WITH WOLVES and AVATAR feature western protagonists who learn the way of the natives - getting back to nature and simplicity, while upping their skillset and eventually fighting against their own people. The stakes in AVATAR are for the world of Pandora.

These are popular examples of the hero's journey and people eat this stuff up, if it can be presented in a new way. Like Blake Snyder says about the studio heads - "Give me the same thing, but different." Sometimes using a different culture is enough to do that.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. :)

Scoopicman, you discussed quite a bit about character development, but I've done quite a bit of research into that. I'm now looking at plot development, to see what I need - do you have anything else to tell me? :)

By the way, since you love good chases, please tell me that you love the incredible chases, particularly the one, in Ronin (1998). :)

Ronin is the best car chase I've come across.
Just god damn amazing. And if you listen to the commentary for it too, it will blow you away. They were organizing over THREE HUNDRED stunt drivers all at once for the sequence.

Best foot chase is Death sentence with kevin bacon. unfortunately it was a boring movie otherwise :lol:

Last edited:
Back