Terminator will be baaaccckkk.

I'm all for a new TV series.

Hopefully, they will learn from the mistakes from the first attempt with too many lead characters in season 2. It threw the plot to the four corners of the Universe.

a reboot should only be done if it can do something better than the original

Does doing better at the box-office than the original count for that something? ;)

...'cos that's the only reason the reboots keep happening. Noone bankrolls a movie anticipating to lose money.

Great news, and the director has a nice resume! I loved every TERMINATOR movie, even the 3rd and 4th movies. (1st and 2nd) are on my top 10 list. I was hoping that SALVATION was the start of a future based trilogy, but I guess it didn't make quite enough at the box office.

I own the two season series and thought that the producers did a nice job. Really cool to see a T-1000 become Connor's supposed protector, at the end of it. I mean, she turned into a urinal, for Pete's sake!

ttscc301-t1000_1221016447.jpg

image_1.jpg

Then the series was prematurely cancelled. Anyways, Sarah Connor (Lena Headey) is doing well in GAME OF THRONES and was a bad-ass villian, "Mama," in DREAD.

Ironic that director, Alan Taylor, directed episodes of THRONES, which Headey stars in!

Last edited:
The time travel aspect of the Terminator films gives them a lot of room to do intersecting stories, alternate timeline stories or changing how events previously played out.

I would still like to see some sort of connection between this new trilogy and the events in Terminator Salvation because I feel that film is underrated. Sure, it doesn't match with how the future sequences were depicted in the first two films but it did give us a gritty future that has obviously been affected by war.

Terminator Salvation had plenty of action sequences that were really well done and were exciting. I hope it's one of those films that years and years later finds a cult following audience because it isn't the worst film ever made.

Getting back to the topic of this forum - I don't know about another TV series. Some franchises just aren't suited to be in the TV series format. But I am up for a new trilogy of films but I would like to still see ties with the other films in some shape or form.

Terminator Salvation is really cool.
The references to the previous movies are nice details too: from 'I'll be back' to 'You could be mine' by Guns N' Roses on the transistor to lure a robot.

There is room for a fifth movie where we see how the first Terminator will be send back in time and how Connor's future dad follows him.

We'll see what happens with the reboot...

Does doing better at the box-office than the original count for that something? ;)

...'cos that's the only reason the reboots keep happening. Noone bankrolls a movie anticipating to lose money.

Good point, Zensteve, but that begs the question as to when a reboot would make money. IOW, why would viewers go to see the reboot when they can see the original? The reason, I think would be when the original was dated and needed to catch up with the times, or if the current storyline had gotten stale.

Terminator Salvation was horrible - it was just an action sequence, with no real storyline, and I could care less about the characters.

I'm very disappointed. That they're not going to take up where Salvation (which is an outstanding film) left off. And if they mean they're actually going to remake the first Terminator, ohckhhh, what a lousy, lousy idea. I gotta say on that one that the Hollywood machine just cannibalizing one already good film after another like this is just getting.....!@#$%^. :mope:

Hollywood really has become, just, uhch, bereft of soul, bereft of heart... There really is a depth...a, I don't know, a creativity in the story department deficit happening. It's no longer just some people whining, anymore, if it ever was only that. It's real.

Oh, I guess if the reason they're doing this is because Salvation performed badly in the box office, then the true culprit is the audience. YOU PEOPLE!

Just kidding. :P

Not really.

I suppose I shouldn't blame them. They are, after all, in the business of trying to give their customers what they want. That's all they've ever wanted.

But wow what a soulless enterprise it can be.

I guess the audience for the "old" films and their narrative just evaporated? Got old, or something?

Oh, I guess if the reason they're doing this is because Salvation performed badly in the box office, then the true culprit is the audience. YOU PEOPLE!

Just kidding. :P

Not really.

I suppose I shouldn't blame them. They are, after all, in the business of trying to give their customers what they want. That's all they've ever wanted.

And yet, SALVATION had worldwide box office grosses of 371 million. That was before after market sales. Is that what they call performing badly? I'd like to think they could make a half-way decent movie for less than 200 million. :rolleyes:

Salvation was the best IMO... Ever since the 2nd movie I couldn't wait for a movie that took place during the war against the Terminators.

And yeah, the blockbuster remakes are getting pretty ridiculous.... Though it's hard to complain when they make a good one. Yesterday I was surprised by the Red Dawn remake, which I thought was better than the original.

And yeah, the blockbuster remakes are getting pretty ridiculous.... Though it's hard to complain when they make a good one. Yesterday I was surprised by the Red Dawn remake, which I thought was better than the original.

I understand the bad guys were North Koreans, as opposed to Soviets in the earlier version. Well, they don't quite cut it as bad guys.

And yet, SALVATION had worldwide box office grosses of 371 million. That was before after market sales. Is that what they call performing badly? I'd like to think they could make a half-way decent movie for less than 200 million. :rolleyes:

The planned trilogy wasn't cut short because it underperformed at the box office - it was because MGM was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for years, but they refused to sell off their individual properties (like terminator and james bond). It basically stalled many big projects out for several years until they finally did go through bankruptcy and get reorganized.

I always thought Arnold should have bought the franchise and used it as his own vehicle, but it's too late now, unless he just wants it as an investment vehicle.

I understand the bad guys were North Koreans, as opposed to Soviets in the earlier version. Well, they don't quite cut it as bad guys.

They also had assistance in it... it was the only way I could believe them as villains.

I think Kim Jong Un saw the movie and said "OH! Dey scarred of us! We should thweaten dem!"

I wonder what Arnie's involvement is going to be in this new trilogy. It has to be said that a cyborg would not appear to be the age that Arnold is in reality so perhaps we will see a similar situation to Salvation except this time with Arnie voicing his younger CG self?

Some food for thought: What if Kyle Reese never died and John had his father growing up, thereby creating a new offshoot from the 1984 timeline?

The planned trilogy wasn't cut short because it underperformed at the box office - it was because MGM was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for years, but they refused to sell off their individual properties (like terminator and james bond). It basically stalled many big projects out for several years until they finally did go through bankruptcy and get reorganized.

That's my fault. I posted the suggestion that it may be because it didn't do well enough at the box office. Really, I could have sworn that one of the above articles mentioned or implied that Salvation had underperformed, thus its fate. Looking at them now, I can't see any such statement. Thanks for clearing it up, IDOM.

But I'm still embittered, embittered, I tell ya! =P

I suppose the new owners naturally want to (re)make all the money it can from their new property. And sure, I suppose that naturally enough means cashing in on a reboot, which is what Hollywood is always looking for: a proven property, a proven earner.

From their website:

About

Annapurna Pictures is a film production and finance company founded with the goal of creating sophisticated, high-quality films that might otherwise be deemed risky by contemporary Hollywood studios. The company, which many consider to be a one-stop shop for filmmakers, has provided the industry with a critical boost of mature, adult dramas in recent years.

Please have a look.

Well, I can't argue with that. I have to like that. Isn't that what I'm always saying I want? Saying to myself, at least.

And in looking Annapurna Pictures up, I also found this nifty fan website: The Terminator Fans .Com

From their site:

We are the original fans, we don't support the reboot but we will cover it for you!

Hey, I think I like these people. =)

Back