Stuff Foster is working on

Who doesn't love a good get rich quick scheme?

The cynic in me wants to say, anyone who understands schemes are designed to make the schemer rich and those stupid enough to get involved left holding the baby water.

"You cannot con an honest man."

But I get what you mean.

Some aren't motivated by money.

It's hard to have faith that a short film could make a lot of money. But there are worse things to believe. If I can get the views, I can monetize them with this short.

Youtube monetization?

It's a new business model.
I remembered the pedophile movie I saw!! It was called Fatal Instinct.

It had the dude who played Alan York in season 1 of 24.
This actor Drew Fuller played the pedophile

MV5BNTA2ODYyOTczMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTQ3NjYwMDE@._V1_UY317_CR52,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

If you want to talk about it, feel free to let me know. I may know some of the pros and cons of the model. There are plenty of models which I have zilch experience with.

Keeping the business plan close to the chest for now. It's hard to believe a short film has the potential the make millions of dollars but I'm trying to believe. It's taking some effort.

This conversation actually just happened. For real o_0

Can't you make a movie about flowers and animals dancing in the forest? Why do you have to come up with such horrendous ideas?

The first thing I ever made was LITERALLY about flowers and animals dancing in the forest.
In 3 years now it has a total of 169 views.

https://vimeo.com/66193779

What are the odds that someone would make this request and I would have exactly what they asked for?

Keeping the business plan close to the chest for now.

Joss Whedon essentially made a short film during the writers strike and made a pretty penny from it. Just saying, it can happen.

lol@flowers and animals.

Drafting up a casting call for couples now.

Are you a young actress? Would you like to be abducted and subjected to psychological torture of a merciless extreme?

Don't worry, I want you to feel safe. I'm going to make your boyfriend do all the torturing.
Btw you will need to get naked on camera too... but we'll make millions!!

It's 6 1/2 really great pages of script.
I promise you will be scared after you read this script!

Last edited:
The wording comes across as odd to me. Too much selling, particularly with the first line.

The "we'll make millions" is likely to come off as bullshit if you don't include why. They'll think good feature films have a hard enough time to turn a profit and this guy thinks a short will make millions. It's a sure fire way to turn a pro into a negative. You're going to exclude any experienced actors who have developed their BS meter.

I'd try to rework something like this:

Leading lady required for a paid role in a 7 page horror short film. [blurb about the character]. Your character will be abducted and subjected to psychological torture to a merciless extreme?

Nudity required. Closed set for appropriate scenes. We will make you feel as safe and comfortable as possible. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call the director on [xxx-xxx] anytime.

Shooting will happen in the Maryland area. [x] shooting days [dates if known].
Paid $800 total. Profit participation on the unlikely event we turn a profit.

It's not quite right yet but I tried to remove the smacks of desperation and tried to add a level of professionalism and information to it. I'm sure you can rewrite it to work better.

A trick I do is to use a female casting director. Sometimes women feel more comfortable talking the issues through with another woman. If they feel more comfortable talking with me, then all fine.

I thought my version was funny as a joke, certainly not an advertisement i would send out.
There were 5 punchlines in there but this is why I don't write comedy :lol:

I like your emphasis on feeling comfortable but there is no "we" or "the director" it's just me.
Still a good emphasis and a nice point about the female casting director.

I can't afford to pay anything up front. It's deferred here.
I had money to spend on Divinity but that's a special long term project.

And I don't have a phone number :lol:
It would be nice to make money from a film, maybe I would have a phone number :D

They'll have to be enticed by the possibility of a financial windfall and a partnership in this project rather than an up front fee.

This is what I came up with

Seeking: Young Actress
For: psychological horror short film

A woman is chained and held hostage, this script is powerful and terrifying!
There is no rape scene, no sex scene, no spanking. this is not smut, it's a horror film.

There is female nudity and kissing, so if you have a boyfriend or someone you're comfortable with I would love to audition the two of you as a couple. If you're single you're still welcome to apply, this is all about finding the right actress.

The scenes are very intense and the dramatic range of her character is the focus of this story. It's a powerful addition to any acting reel, but perhaps more importantly we could take in a good amount of money together.

Pay: Dare to think big, we will both profit. I know how to sell this in a way that hasn't been done before. If you're interested in the role I will reveal the specific business plan with you privately.

Sides: Read the first page and a half here <link>

Still a good emphasis and a nice point about the female casting director.

It's just a resource that I have available to me, so I take advantage of it whenever I can.

As for the pay, just change that line to:
Unpaid. As much as I believe you deserve to be paid, all I can offer is profit participation on the unlikely event we turn a profit.

It must have been another thread where there was that $800. My mistake.

Just so you know, there's a general consensus among actors, at least in my area, that nudity is a general no-go for unpaid projects. Your mileage may differ.

My suggestion is NEVER say deferred for a short film. In my opinion, deferred should never be used. Say unpaid or equity/profit participation. Deferred is putting the risk on the cast and crew without them benefiting from the potential upside. Just my opinion there.

And I don't have a phone number
It would be nice to make money from a film, maybe I would have a phone number

umm.... say what? How much does it cost over there? If I use it very sparingly, I can get a mobile phone prepaid plan for only $15 a year here.

They'll have to be enticed by the possibility of a financial windfall and a partnership in this project rather than an up front fee.

In my opinion, you'll scare more people off with that hope of millions windfall than you would with just looking for "Unpaid" collaborators.

In my opinion, you'll scare more people off with that hope of millions windfall than you would with just looking for "Unpaid" collaborators.

I'd look like a crazy person claiming we'll make millions. But it's just as crazy to think i'll get a girl to be naked on camera as an unpaid collaborator

edit: phones are like $45 a month, idk. certainly not $15 a year but i haven't done much shopping around

Just so you know, there's a general consensus among actors, at least in my area, that nudity is a general no-go for unpaid projects. Your mileage may differ.

Yeah this was my lament a few pages back when my actress said no. That the project is probably dead in the water.

Last edited:
You're probably better off saying, it's unpaid, though there is profit participation on the chance we earn a profit. We have a unique business plan. It's high risk, which also means it could be high reward...

argh.. naah. It still sounds shonky.

A woman is chained and held hostage, this script is powerful and terrifying!
There is no rape scene, no sex scene, no spanking. this is not smut, it's a horror film.

There is female nudity and kissing, so if you have a boyfriend or someone you're comfortable with I would love to audition the two of you as a couple. If you're single you're still welcome to apply, this is all about finding the right actress.

It's out of order. Put the There is no rape line after the nudity line. Where you've put it raises a red flag. Frame their mind, and THEN put their mind at ease.

I think you're getting there. Work on the wordplay more and you should be fine.

edit: phones are like $45 a month, idk. certainly not $15 a year but i haven't done much shopping around

People around here typically pay $70+ per month for a phone + network + usage deals. If you don't hunt, you'll never find.

it's just as crazy to think i'll get a girl to be naked on camera as an unpaid collaborator

Why not change the script so she has clothes on? Or develop another script? It's not that ideas are hard to come across.

Where you've put it raises a red flag.

I'd have thought the red flag comes right after the first line about a girl being abducted and chained lol.
I have other scripts and ideas but the point was to make money for once instead of just spend it.

Back