• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sometimes They Come Loose

CootDog said:
I liked the mysterious look and feel of this short. I think the soundtrack had a lot to do with the mood too... Top notch job...

That's why I enjoy my relationship with both sourmonkey and Goat. They both did monster jobs in making this short what it is. And I can't leave out Ryan Crawford. It was his first project working with us, but he was an excellent addition.

Thanks for the compliments.

Poke

Okies... I read up on some of the spilled beans...

Here is what I was thinking, so tell me if I am really off-base and reading more into this than i thought I was.

I was pretty convinced that water was a metaphor for consumerism. :blush:

Water from the tap, water from the overturned glass, water in the loo, water flushing the sink out, water slowly spreading over the floor... water being the bevarage consumed from the bottle.

There was so much water, that I was thinking that the whole "chip" incident was somehow tied into the old paranoid phrase, "There's something in the water".

I'll not follow up on the rest of the train of thought I had. Sometimes some of my theories make even Art Bell skeptical. But I need to know... did the constant view of water stand for anything?

Good job! Got my vote. Favorite shots were at the start; the half-eaten sandwich and the water pool accumulating around the character passed-out on the floor.

The lighting was great in the kitchen. Did you use a filter? Post-production effect?

Great Job!!!

This short was just plain disturbing, eerie, gross, and captivating.

The vomiting was yucky, but I couldn't turn away (was that some sort of movie voodoo mind trick?) I was going to ask you how you got such realistic vomiting, but you answered that question. Although I hate the site of people vomiting I always groan when I see an actor spit out a mouthful of some lumpy goo, cough a couple of times, and then spit. Nor did you go the other way and use the hidden fire hose of brownish liqued i.e. "but its only wafer thin!!" I must say that was some dedication on the part of your actor. Or perhaps the lumpy goo you were using was FOWL tasting.:lol:

I loved the orange color. Not only did it add to the mood but it was also like I was looking through someone (something??) elses eyes. It gave the whole piece an otherwordly feel.

Great work.

Water and Consumerism -- Let's look at it like this, I want the viewer to take from this short what they will. Ryan Ferguson made a joke on set that the chip the man finds is Marcellus Wallace's soul, but that's not far from the truth. I won't say my reasoning for the constant use of liquid (the substance on the counter and floor was actually milk and not water), I will let all of you draw your own conclusions.

Realistic Vomit -- The first round of vomiting is simply tomato soup with bits of corn, the second roudn is tomato soup, corn, and lot's of blue food coloring. I chose tomato soup for the color, and someone on set put in the corn (I was initially aganist it, but it was a better decision). The reason why Goat ended up actually regurgitating a donut was because he gets so into his actions. If you just listened to the audio of his multiple takes you'd think that someone was dying in there. He just pretended to heave so many times that once he actully did heave.

Poke

dudebro said:
The lighting was great in the kitchen. Did you use a filter? Post-production effect?

Sorry I didn't see this before. We lit for orange, messed wiht the settings in the camera and used a filter in the bathroom, but after all that I still didn't think it was orange enough. Goat came up with the glow effect and that really makes the film for me.

And for those that pay attention to detail, check out the last scene (the kitchen scene redo) and tell me what you see ...

Poke

Mr Goat...

What is your acting history, btw?

check out the last scene (the kitchen scene redo) and tell me what you see ...

Looking hard... best I can tell is the different lighting on the sink tap closeup...

Last edited:
Quite good. I loved the composition, the sound effects, the editing, the pacing, etc... Sorry if I missed the answer earlier, but what was this filmed with, and what compression did you use? Looks very sharp.

Filmed with the Panasonic DVX 100. Compressed --- ??? That would be a question for Goat. I let him answer it.

Zensteve said:
Looking hard... best I can tell is the different lighting on the sink tap closeup...

That's close, when watching it keep an eye on the walls.

Poke

Zensteve said:
Mr Goat...

What is your acting history, btw?

Acting history?...uhhhh....I guess making faces in the mirror.

I've acted in a few student films and the films Poke and I have done. That's about it.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with acting. I like acting during the moment, but when I watch it back, I'm overly critical about my acting and I can't stand to sit with people while they watch the film. I also don't like to be infront of large crowds, so I've never tried theater or anything like that.

stbd1 said:
and what compression did you use?

I imported to Avid Composer at 1:1.

oh my god, this film rocked. Just freakin brilliant. I freakin loved it, i cant stop saying the word freakin in context with this movie. Best freakin short ever.

Back