• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sometimes They Come Loose

Official: Sometimes They Come Loose

Ladies and Gentlemen ... here is my entry for Round 2.

Sometimes They Come Loose

homepagepick.gif

STCLposterfinal.JPG

It's about a man who awakes on the floor of a suburban kitchen groggy and disoriented. Who is he? How did he get there? And what is that he found?

I'd like to pass out a few thanks to my cast and crew.

Thanks to ...

Andy McGee (Goat) for his determination, persistence and good humor.

Ryan C. Crawford for some truly interesting images.

Gabe Chance (sourmonkey) for wonderful music and sound design.

Jeremiah Walker (Flux) for getting our website up and running.

Ryan E. Ferguson for pitching in whenever necessary, no matter how demeaning.

Kelly Louis for putting up with six big smelly guys trashing her apartment.

We've had a lot of fun doing this and I'd like to thank Zensteve for taking the ball on this comp. and running with it (thanks goes to riz as well for the original idea). Also, thanks to Indie for giving us this board and allowing us to have this competition.

Hope everyone enjoys it!

Poke

Last edited:
LOGAN L Productions said:
HOLY CRAP!!! GREAT Job you guys!!! That...was...awesome. I love the orange lighting, the shots, and the whole thing.

Thanks Logan. I'll go into the whole orange thing later after more people have had a chance to view it.

SPaulovich said:
Shoot, all I need is a viewer that handles mp4 format...

The latest free version of Quicktime should support it. I can view it on my home PC with the free QT.

Poke

Will Vincent said:
Hmm.. I can't open it.. getting a "Cannot Find Server" error.. :(

Okay. The server is not down, so there are a few possibilities here as to why the film is not loading for you. If you have broadband it should load in 5 minutes or less. Dial Up of course will take longert to download. When you get the Can Not Find Server message try refreshing the page or right clicking and "save target as".

SPaulovich said:
Shoot, all I need is a viewer that handles mp4 format...

I'm told that Quicktime and Reel Player will play mp4 format.

Poke

Very strange.. for some reason I have no route to that host..

looked up the IP address, and can't even get a ping reply. Will try later I guess

---

PING creativenamefilmgroup.com (205.209.169.160) from 24.118.29.0 : 56(84) bytes of data.

^C

--- creativenamefilmgroup.com ping statistics ---
52 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% loss, time 51017ms

I'm gonna differ that ping thing to Flux. He's more technically advanced than me (I still don't know how to speak fluent computian or internetish).

Poke

Last edited:
I had to use QT too, but no problem, just not true fullscreen :(

I didnt like seeing the puke..thats my only problem with it. Other wise great flick, waiting to see the others.

rizien said:
I didnt like seeing the puke...

This coming from the same guy who loooooved Team America. :hmm: I saw the puke scene from that one, and ours is tame in comparison. :weird:

Interesting fact, there was one point when Goat actually threw up ... se if you can spot it kiddies.

Poke

This was a very interesting film. Very interesting indeed.

The lighting in the kitchen gave it a very early 70's look... which was a bit weird, as the kitchen was much more modern than that. Actually, for some reason it reminded me of lava lamps in particular. I'm not sure why. Regardless, it created an unusual offset against the kitchen. It looked really good.

The attention to sound in this is remarkable. The sinks, the dripping of taps, flushings, hums of appliances, the whatever-the-heck on the vocals... Who did all that?

I know SourMonkey did the music... that was also great. A lot of it sounded like those champagne-glass orchestras... the running of the fingers around the tops of the glasses. I think the sound matched the lighting for sure, to give that certain time-period feel without specifying it.

I'm going to have to watch this again in the morn, before saying more. I *think* I may have discovered the significance of the orange light... but I'd better rec-check my theory when not so late.

Poke, good job getting another one in for the competition. :clap:

The film was very strange kind of Sci-Fi. It did have that other worldly feel to it with the lighting/men in suits.
The film also would seem to just go in a big circle each time you watched it no closure or partical closure. All in all not a bad entry. The vomit did get alittle graphic. :P

King Goldfish said:
reminded me a bit of the movie "thx 1138"

THX 1138 is definitely an inspiration for this one. Originally, I wanted to go with the same look (all white, all dystopian) but it wasn't economically feasible and I ended coming up with a better idea.

florianlinckus.com said:
Hope you'll like my job to... ;)

I did very much. Sorry if I didn't mention it in the Invisible Man thread. I'll make a note to do that.

Zensteve said:
The lighting in the kitchen gave it a very early 70's look... which was a bit weird, as the kitchen was much more modern than that. Actually, for some reason it reminded me of lava lamps in particular. I'm not sure why. Regardless, it created an unusual offset against the kitchen. It looked really good.

The idea of the orange glow effect came from two places: 1) I wanted an otherworldy/unnerving feel to it, and 2) I wanted to give it a color you don't often relate to these types of movies. The story behind it is this -- in the original script everything was supposed to be overblown white (to pay homage to THX 1138 as I said before, although before writing I had already given up on the idea of minimal surroundings like white walls), but one day, when I was scheduled to meet with DP Ryan Crawford, I came across an old Pkg I did (for news) where I had to rely on someone else's video, someone else who shot everything in this really overblown orange. When I met with Ryan that night I showed him the old footage and we set out to give the short it's distinct feel.

Something else I should mention ... when Goat got into the edit bay, the color did not pop as much as I wanted it to, so he actually gave it that unearthly glow.

Zensteve said:
The attention to sound in this is remarkable. The sinks, the dripping of taps, flushings, hums of appliances, the whatever-the-heck on the vocals... Who did all that?

That is a mixture of sourmonkey and Goat (although sourmonkey has full design credit). sourmonkey recorded most of the sound (some of it - including water bottle hitting the floor, puking, guys bursting through door) were recorded on the camera's nat mic and it sounded so good we left it in. Goat ended up having to sync some of the sound (water drip, fridge hum) because we had problems here at our end (me and monkey).

The surveillance voices were done by sourmonkey. I told him I wanted slightly human but distorted/sorta robot voices. He made me sound more awesome than I ever thought possible.

Zensteve said:
I know SourMonkey did the music... that was also great. A lot of it sounded like those champagne-glass orchestras... the running of the fingers around the tops of the glasses. I think the sound matched the lighting for sure, to give that certain time-period feel without specifying it.

Yes, he always comes through on the music. I give the dude an idea and he usually just runs with it. I talked to him a few days before the shoot, and on the day of the shoot he hands me a CD full of ambient tracks he did up for the short. The main track was one of a few he gave me to choose from. I chose it over the others specificly for the sound you mentioned Zen. It just went.

Personally, my favorite is the end credits music - it's so creepy.

HailtotheKing said:
The film also would seem to just go in a big circle each time you watched it no closure or partical closure.

Yeah, I've even thought about stretching it out into a feature someday where this happens over and over again but with different outcomes each time.

HailtotheKing said:
The vomit did get alittle graphic. :P

That was intentional. The word I kept repeating to my crew was "unnerving". That's why some of the shots are unnatural, some of the sound seems overly noticable, and some of the cuts seem jumpy. Seeing a guy vomit so violently is unnerving.

Poke

Last edited:
Yes, Unnerving was the word... It's like.. why is he puking? Was it something he ate? Did he have a party the night before? NO! it was something else...

Good use of the prop and the line.

I liked the mysterious look and feel of this short. I think the soundtrack had a lot to do with the mood too... Top notch job...

Back