Shooting "Guerilla style" w/out getting sued?

I want to shoot some Guerilla style flicks. Because, well, I'm poor and I can't afford sets. I want to do this in a few US cities.

Any tips on doing this without pissing off too many people? I am willing to bend some laws, and I'm willing to adhere to others if they won't cost me boatloads?

I'm big on the action genre, so I would probably have some pretty intense scenes, but still low budget - so no explosions or car chases. Also any ideas on how to write such a film?

I wrote a short based on a (fictional) court case because I *though* I could do that cheaply. Turns out the court needs proof of insurance and a $500 damage disposition fee. I'm still planning on doing the film, but for future reference I want to plan out something I can shoot without the "blessing" of any higher powers. Any suggestions?

A newcomer costing the city tens of thousands of dollars to bring
in the SWAT team might get on the news. And it might cost you more
than a dime if the city chooses to sue you for the costs.

Yep. Where I live some guy recently thought it would be fun to fire off a flare gun from his boat. Another boater sighted the flare and called the Coast Guard who, in accordance with standard procedure, dispatched a Jayhawk helicopter with a rescue swimmer and two motor lifeboats.

The guy was fined $100,000 to cover the costs. Sure hope he had fun.

I agree with Rik a 100 percent. Awful choice that will only probably make people angrier at you. Second off there might not be bad publicity but there is such things as bad consequences from publicity. People may go out of their way just not to get involved with you. Just looking out for your best interest TI.

Yep. Where I live some guy recently thought it would be fun to fire off a flare gun from his boat. Another boater sighted the flare and called the Coast Guard who, in accordance with standard procedure, dispatched a Jayhawk helicopter with a rescue swimmer and two motor lifeboats.

The guy was fined $100,000 to cover the costs. Sure hope he had fun.

That just reminds me of the Heinlein novel Job. Where he and the girl actually were rescued at sea off of the Pacific coast and were charged for the entire thing. Had to go into indentured servitude, etc. But of course this was a Heinlein novel so obviously the character took it in stride. lol

I agree with wheatgrinder. Your attitude is the exact opposite of
passionate and dedicated.

Being willing to go to jail or get shot for your movie doesn’t
show passion and dedication to movie making. It shows a reckless
disregard to others. A cop who believes he is protecting the
community and shoots someone with a gun only to discover it was
someone making a movie will face disciplinary action and terrible
repercussions from the press and the city. Good press for you?
Maybe. But a career breaking possibility for a cop doing his job.
A newcomer costing the city tens of thousands of dollars to bring
in the SWAT team might get on the news. And it might cost you more
than a dime if the city chooses to sue you for the costs. Even if
they don’t sue you, you have cost a city money, fear, concern and
time. All so you can get some publicity or make a movie.

Being reckless, unethical and wrong is not the way to convince
people that you are dedicated to your career nor does it show you
as “unconventional”. All it shows is you are willing to do the
wrong thing if it gets you where you want to get.

What a truly creative filmmaker does is make that “crappy ass”
town look and feel like an amazing location for a surprising
story. Are you good enough to do that?

Again, you're absolutely correct except about one small thing.

It isn't about convincing people that I'm dedicated. It's how I know I'm dedicated. When I posted that, I meant it mostly out of humor, but in all honesty, I would do it. It's COMPLETELY UNETHICAL AND WRONG. And I already knew what the repercussions of such actions could have for other people. But I know that I'm selfish enough that I'd be willing to live with that. I know I shouldn't have to, and I more than likely won't unless it is a last ditch effort, but I'm just being honest. You have to understand that I don't lie about anything. Even the crappy parts of my personality.

Now I know that my previous posts show blatant moral disregard, but I'm actually a pretty good person. I have never done anything like this in my life and I would feel bad if I ever did do it. But when I look myself in the mirror, I know that I would sacrifice others to get myself ahead if I had to. THAT IS WRONG AND INCREDIBLY SELFISH. But it's honest.

And I'd rather be honest than play the good Samaritan when I'm not. I'm dirty, selfish, and unethical. But I'm not fake about it.

Also, in reference to my town, I don't consider it crappy because I believe that rural life is less valuable than urban life, but it's about what I'm accustomed to. I've lived in the city 18 of my 20 years on this would.
I hate living here in a rural area. I think the environment is right for lots of people and I'm sure they define city life as "crappy". But again, I'm just being honest and this place is not for me.

I'm sure I could write and film something that I would be satisfied with in my current setting. But I have no interest in that. I have interest in what I know and love. The city.

I really hope you guys don't hate me for being me. I realize that such poor ethical principals do not reflect the type of person I am well, but I don't want to lie to any of you and I don't want to lie to myself.

Speaking only for myself (of course) I don’t hate you for being
you. Nor do I feel you are not a good person. I’m sure you are a
good person. I have no respect for your beliefs.

Being honest about being unethical is not, in my opinion, anything
that deserves respect. People who are willing to harm others in
the pursuit of their dream and career are people I have nothing
but contempt for.

Speaking only for myself (of course) I don’t hate you for being
you. Nor do I feel you are not a good person. I’m sure you are a
good person. I have no respect for your beliefs.

Being honest about being unethical is not, in my opinion, anything
that deserves respect. People who are willing to harm others in
the pursuit of their dream and career are people I have nothing
but contempt for.

Thank your for your honesty. I don't expect you to respect me for being honest about my ways. It's more of my own moral code that provokes this honesty. I do think I should (ideally) be less egotistical, and less self-centered, but the truth is that I'm not. And to lie to you about it is to lie to myself. I feel a personal need to understand and accept the bad in me. Maybe, that will lead me to avoiding such poor ethical decisions later in life, but for now, I'm just going to accept it and hope that I make a moral decision when the time comes to make it.

I can't tell you for sure that I'd do any one thing in that situation because I'm not in that situation right now. All I can do is guess. And I'd like to be able to tell myself I'd make the morally righteous decision. But my mind and my heart tell me that's a load of crap and that I'd give into the temptation of selfishness. That's just the way it is, ya know?

I'm actually very glad you called me out for this. You have made me realize something about myself and where my ethics lie. Hopefully I can change this someday... I merely realize that I'm too young and naive for that now.

man, some people spend WAY to much time looking at their navels.

Just blame your parents for everything wrong in your life and get on with making a movie...

On a side note:

I spent 4th of July with my Cambodian friend. We were sitting around the little camp fire I built in the back yard, jawing about camping and hiking, he said something along the lines of...

"I don't understand why anyone CHOOSES to hike or go camping? When the Khmer Rouge forced me to "hike" many miles each day, I had to step over the bodies along the way, I had to move them around to find wood for the fire..."

Other similar stories from my friends make me LAUGH with disgust at whinny and complaining fools that talk about how great there selfish ethics are.

but thats just me :)

man, some people spend WAY to much time looking at their navels.

Just blame your parents for everything wrong in your life and get on with making a movie...

On a side note:

I spent 4th of July with my Cambodian friend. We were sitting around the little camp fire I built in the back yard, jawing about camping and hiking, he said something along the lines of...

"I don't understand why anyone CHOOSES to hike or go camping? When the Khmer Rouge forced me to "hike" many miles each day, I had to step over the bodies along the way, I had to move them around to find wood for the fire..."

Other similar stories from my friends make me LAUGH with disgust at whinny and complaining fools that talk about how great there selfish ethics are.

but thats just me :)

That was uncalled for. I'm not whining or complaining I'm stating facts about myself. No one said my selfish ethics were great. Actually, even I look down upon them. All I said is that I won't lie about it.

I may be unethical, but I'm far from being a fool or looking at my navels. I'm smart and my head's up, so get your arguments right.

If you want to put your own life on the line to further your movie-making career, go for it. Knock yourself out. But you're talking about putting the lives and reputations of your cast and crew in danger, not to mention potentially destroying the lives of other people who come to the wrong conclusion.

Sure, shoot without permits, beg and borrow locations, props and equipment; but no film is worth a life. Film-making is a collaborative process, and respect for and faith in each other is crucial - I can't imagine many people would want to work with you having read this thread.

I think directorik sums my thoughts up neatly: "People who are willing to harm others in the pursuit of their dream and career are people I have nothing but contempt for."

If you want to put your own life on the line to further your movie-making career, go for it. Knock yourself out. But you're talking about putting the lives and reputations of your cast and crew in danger, not to mention potentially destroying the lives of other people who come to the wrong conclusion.

Sure, shoot without permits, beg and borrow locations, props and equipment; but no film is worth a life. Film-making is a collaborative process, and respect for and faith in each other is crucial - I can't imagine many people would want to work with you having read this thread.

I think directorik sums my thoughts up neatly: "People who are willing to harm others in the pursuit of their dream and career are people I have nothing but contempt for."

Also you aren't going to be making it anywhere if you choose that route. People don't say "hey that guy ruined an officer's career. Let's hire him."

No that keeps people away.

One man film crew. The only risking physical danger is me.

And it would only "potentially destroy someone's life" if I actually was going to be shot. Otherwise I'm just a dumb kid who caused a little more paperwork to be filed and wasted some taxpayers money. Big deal.

If the police shoot first, then they deserve what they get. That's how thirteen year olds playing with water guns get killed. IF I ever were to do something like this I wouldn't provoke getting shot by doing something stupid like aiming the airsoft gun at them. And even so, they aren't supposed to shoot until they are being shot at. I realize that they deal with "real" criminals and that first shot matters, but it's still in PD ethics.

Are my opinions unethical? Yes, but they are just that, opinions. You're taking this WAAAY out of proportion people. And it was said as a joke... Just because I suspect that I would be immoral enough to do this isn't worth all this backlash. :rolleyes:

One man film crew. The only risking physical danger is me.

And it would only "potentially destroy someone's life" if I actually was going to be shot. Otherwise I'm just a dumb kid who caused a little more paperwork to be filed and wasted some taxpayers money. Big deal.

If the police shoot first, then they deserve what they get. That's how thirteen year olds playing with water guns get killed. IF I ever were to do something like this I wouldn't provoke getting shot by doing something stupid like aiming the airsoft gun at them. And even so, they aren't supposed to shoot until they are being shot at. I realize that they deal with "real" criminals and that first shot matters, but it's still in PD ethics.

So the police should stick to some sort of ethics code but you won't? I'm not entirely sure how you intend to act and shoot (if you'll pardon the pun) at the same time, but if you happen upon someone walking around with a gun drawn it's hardly unreasonable to conclude that they might me planning to use it. People have been shot carrying things that don't even look like a weapon - a table leg, for instance. It might be their fault if they're a little trigger happy, but being able to blame someone doesn't stop people getting hurt.

First, you're completely right.
What I'm about to say is going to sound reckless, unethical, and wrong. Because it is. Don't follow my advice, and I would recommend not agreeing with it either. But it does makes sense.

I sort of wouldn't mind doing some jail time or getting shot (not fatally) for my movies. Why? Because there is no such thing as bad press in the entertainment industry. And while I believe my work should speak for itself as far as drawing in audiences, let's be real. You have to market competitively. A newspaper or newscast ad about a filmmaker bringing in the SWAT team would be great for exposure. And the best thing is that it doesn't cost me a dime. Hell I might even call 911 myself and use the bastards for B-roll :lol:
Only thing I WOULDN'T do with such a plan is put someone other than myself at risk. And hopefully the PD doesn't go for headshots... that would be counterproductive.

I apologize if my poor ethics reflect the forums in a negative way. I'm a little crazy. But that's how dedicated I am to my career. I would kill to save it, and risk dying for it. And I'm no dummy, just a little unconventional in my methods.

Every ounce of me tells me you've never been to jail.

It's just a movie, dude. Cool those nerves.

You have made me realize something about myself and where my ethics lie. Hopefully I can change this someday... I merely realize that I'm too young and naive for that now.

Dr. Joseph has decided to make a housecall. I prescribe that you watch "Ratatouille". If you still feel the same as before, get super-stoned, then watch "Ratatouille".

So the police should stick to some sort of ethics code but you won't? I'm not entirely sure how you intend to act and shoot (if you'll pardon the pun) at the same time, but if you happen upon someone walking around with a gun drawn it's hardly unreasonable to conclude that they might me planning to use it. People have been shot carrying things that don't even look like a weapon - a table leg, for instance. It might be their fault if they're a little trigger happy, but being able to blame someone doesn't stop people getting hurt.

I have an ethical code, it's just not a popular one.

Tripod. Nice pun :lol:

Or Bibles? Or Wallets? Or pumping over 50 rounds at unarmed men for hitting UC cars?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Bell_shooting_incident

Again, it's only me getting physically hurt. People are getting hurt anyways. Watch the news. In case you didn't notice I'm not a fan of law enforcement. Yes, there are good cops, but there are also Cops who are MUCH bigger pieces of shit than me. Like these ones:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...girl-ayana-jones/story-e6frfku0-1225867527764
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/man-fatally-shot-by-police-on-west-side.html
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2009/sep/03/police_kill_church_pastor_in_bot

But hey, I'm the bad guy here, remember? :D
http://www.southphillyreview.com/news/police-report/Deadly-water-gun-battle-92915019.html

Just because you can name a few corrupt cops doesn't make you any less corrupt man. This is getting sad.

You're right. But I don't claim to be a saint. I was just showing why I feel the way I do.

Now I've been asked to keep the thread relevant to it's origins so, back to tips for gurellia filmmaking please people.

- Thanks.

Now I've been asked to keep the thread relevant to it's origins so, back to tips for gurellia filmmaking please people.

- Thanks.
Here's a thought...why not start at the very beginning? Post this short script of yours. We can critique the skeleton and, then, perhaps our more seasoned filmmakers can make shot/scene suggestions which may eliminate the need for shots on the run. There's always a creative answer to an economic conundrum.

Back