Shooting "Guerilla style" w/out getting sued?

I want to shoot some Guerilla style flicks. Because, well, I'm poor and I can't afford sets. I want to do this in a few US cities.

Any tips on doing this without pissing off too many people? I am willing to bend some laws, and I'm willing to adhere to others if they won't cost me boatloads?

I'm big on the action genre, so I would probably have some pretty intense scenes, but still low budget - so no explosions or car chases. Also any ideas on how to write such a film?

I wrote a short based on a (fictional) court case because I *though* I could do that cheaply. Turns out the court needs proof of insurance and a $500 damage disposition fee. I'm still planning on doing the film, but for future reference I want to plan out something I can shoot without the "blessing" of any higher powers. Any suggestions?

It would behoove you to ask the higher powers for their blessing.

No, seriously. Put on your best necktie and go ask.

I've shot many movies in many interesting locations (abandoned jail, high school auditorium, hospital, cemetery, police station, disused piano warehouse, countless restaurants, and even Judge Randy Klambaugh's 27th Disctrict Courtroom) and have never had to pay or provide insurance.

All because we laid out our plans professionally and asked nicely.

A lot of people love movies. A lot of people are interested in how they are made. A lot of people would find it fun to have their location be a part of the movies. You won't know unless you ask.

I'm sure the $500 courtroom isn't the only one around. Seek out others.

Alternatively, you've no doubt seen the typical courtrooms of Matlock, Perry Mason and Ironside. But you've also seen the courtrooms on Dateline NBC and Court TV. Courtrooms come in all shapes and sizes. My point being, have you ever asked yourself what kind of room could easily stand in for a courtroom?

I bet you could you make a realistic looking courtroom out of a large public library's conference/meeting room or a college lecture hall.

As for locations, you'll never know unless you ask. Worst case scenario, they'll say no or it will be cost-prohibitive. Best case scenario, you'll get to shoot in some awesome locations.

It would behoove you to ask the higher powers for their blessing.

No, seriously. Put on your best necktie and go ask.

I've shot many movies in many interesting locations (abandoned jail, high school auditorium, hospital, cemetery, police station, disused piano warehouse, countless restaurants, and even Judge Randy Klambaugh's 27th Disctrict Courtroom) and have never had to pay or provide insurance.

All because we laid out our plans professionally and asked nicely.

A lot of people love movies. A lot of people are interested in how they are made. A lot of people would find it fun to have their location be a part of the movies. You won't know unless you ask.

I'm sure the $500 courtroom isn't the only one around. Seek out others.

Alternatively, you've no doubt seen the typical courtrooms of Matlock, Perry Mason and Ironside. But you've also seen the courtrooms on Dateline NBC and Court TV. Courtrooms come in all shapes and sizes. My point being, have you ever asked yourself what kind of room could easily stand in for a courtroom?

I bet you could you make a realistic looking courtroom out of a large public library's conference/meeting room or a college lecture hall.

As for locations, you'll never know unless you ask. Worst case scenario, they'll say no or it will be cost-prohibitive. Best case scenario, you'll get to shoot in some awesome locations.

THANK YOU! I had been trying to think of ways to "fake" a courtroom for a very long while and kept coming up with nothing. Your ideas gave me some awesome perspective.

Also, I guess you're right about asking for permission as well. I never looked at it that way either.

Does anyone know about shooting guerilla with public places? Like a city block or a subway station?

Does anyone know about shooting guerilla with public places? Like a city block or a subway station?

I think you can get away with it if you don't shoot any locations that are particularly distinguishable. I don't think the city is interested in suing you. If you can wrap the shoot, without getting a ticket or whatever, you're probably in the clear.

Disclaimer: I'm really just speculating on that one.

Of course be careful with any weapon brandishing scenes in public, you don’t need one of those going south on you.

-Thanks-

That's no joke. lol I'm considering gurellia gunplay, but I'm not stupid enough to do it in the wrong places. I'm an American, so I definitely could see the long list of ways that could end up with somebody getting killed. If not the Cops, then the gangs, mafia, or 2nd Amendmenters.

Does your city require shooting permits? Many do not. If not, just do as Uranium said and communicate your needs with the powers-that-be. As long as you're not blocking traffic or putting anyone at risk I don't know why there'd be a problem. My experience is that most people want to help. (Almost) everybody loves movies.

That's no joke. lol I'm considering gurellia gunplay, but I'm not stupid enough to do it in the wrong places. I'm an American, so I definitely could see the long list of ways that could end up with somebody getting killed. If not the Cops, then the gangs, mafia, or 2nd Amendmenters.

I wouldn't play with guns anywhere other than on private property that you have permission to shoot on.

Check your town's website and see if they have a filming section, it might have a list of places that you can shoot at. I dont know if a lot of towns do this but mine does.

Does your city require shooting permits? Many do not. If not, just do as Uranium said and communicate your needs with the powers-that-be. As long as you're not blocking traffic or putting anyone at risk I don't know why there'd be a problem. My experience is that most people want to help. (Almost) everybody loves movies.

I wouldn't play with guns anywhere other than on private property that you have permission to shoot on.

Check your town's website and see if they have a filming section, it might have a list of places that you can shoot at. I dont know if a lot of towns do this but mine does.

No idea. I'm not in the city I want to film in at the moment. (Kansas City. I live about 2 hours away in a crappy ass lake area town called Laurie.)

Well again, I'm broke, so I more than likely wouldn't have enough money for any real guns anyways. Which makes it less of a safety concern which is a positive. They'll likely just be airsoft and I'll add in muzzle flares and such in post. Still, they'll be painted black and "look" like real guns so IF I do something I'll be cautious.

I'll look, but I doubt it in KC. That's a BIG city.

- Thanks

wouldn't have enough money for any real guns anyways. Which makes it less of a safety concern which is a positive.

Just 'cos you know the guns aren't real doesn't make it any less of a possible threat to local law enforcement.

There's at least two forum members who've been arrested for filming outdoors with airsoft guns (charges dropped... heh, one even posted the scan of the newspaper article, later), and just last month Spinner posted a video from a legitimate shoot in Chicago where the production actually had the permits & notifications and still got a SWAT response. (Poor communications all 'round)

Can never be careful enough, when handling something that others could perceive as dangerous. :)

In other news - you'll be surprised at what you can get away with, or arrange, if you just ask. Good luck.

Just 'cos you know the guns aren't real doesn't make it any less of a possible threat to local law enforcement.

There's at least two forum members who've been arrested for filming outdoors with airsoft guns (charges dropped... heh, one even posted the scan of the newspaper article, later), and just last month Spinner posted a video from a legitimate shoot in Chicago where the production actually had the permits & notifications and still got a SWAT response. (Poor communications all 'round)

Can never be careful enough, when handling something that others could perceive as dangerous. :)

In other news - you'll be surprised at what you can get away with, or arrange, if you just ask. Good luck.

First, you're completely right.
What I'm about to say is going to sound reckless, unethical, and wrong. Because it is. Don't follow my advice, and I would recommend not agreeing with it either. But it does makes sense.

I sort of wouldn't mind doing some jail time or getting shot (not fatally) for my movies. Why? Because there is no such thing as bad press in the entertainment industry. And while I believe my work should speak for itself as far as drawing in audiences, let's be real. You have to market competitively. A newspaper or newscast ad about a filmmaker bringing in the SWAT team would be great for exposure. And the best thing is that it doesn't cost me a dime. Hell I might even call 911 myself and use the bastards for B-roll :lol:
Only thing I WOULDN'T do with such a plan is put someone other than myself at risk. And hopefully the PD doesn't go for headshots... that would be counterproductive.

I apologize if my poor ethics reflect the forums in a negative way. I'm a little crazy. But that's how dedicated I am to my career. I would kill to save it, and risk dying for it. And I'm no dummy, just a little unconventional in my methods.

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/parksandrec/documents/adacct/filmshootpermit.pdf

Hope this helps, It seems to be a KC film permit, you just fill in whereyou want to shoot at and shit. It seems like it might help. Wouldn't call it guerilla though since you are getting good permission.

Thanks. I doubt I'll be able to use this because I doubt I'll be able to afford insurance (thus the need for a gurellia shoot in the first place...) but I appreciate it anyways. I'd love to be legal and moral, but when it cost money I have to be a realist first.

Thanks. I doubt I'll be able to use this because I doubt I'll be able to afford insurance (thus the need for a gurellia shoot in the first place...) but I appreciate it anyways. I'd love to be legal and moral, but when it cost money I have to be a realist first.

Very understandable, just don't go too guerilla though. Might get yourself in trouble.

change your attitude towards your "crappy ass lake area town ...." as they are NOT the big city, they might actually think its "neat" that you want to make a movie there rather than see it as a revenue generating opportunity. Lose some ego, don't go into city hall as a "professional" "independent filmmaker" be a guy who "loves movies and wants to make one and needs your help" kinda vibe. Dress nice, wear a tie, show respect.

As for alternatives, you might consider writing a funny bit into your script.. "court house close for asbestos remediation" or something like that.. resulting in "court will be held on Thursday in the back room of Julies Steak House"

I agree with wheatgrinder. Your attitude is the exact opposite of
passionate and dedicated.

Being willing to go to jail or get shot for your movie doesn’t
show passion and dedication to movie making. It shows a reckless
disregard to others. A cop who believes he is protecting the
community and shoots someone with a gun only to discover it was
someone making a movie will face disciplinary action and terrible
repercussions from the press and the city. Good press for you?
Maybe. But a career breaking possibility for a cop doing his job.
A newcomer costing the city tens of thousands of dollars to bring
in the SWAT team might get on the news. And it might cost you more
than a dime if the city chooses to sue you for the costs. Even if
they don’t sue you, you have cost a city money, fear, concern and
time. All so you can get some publicity or make a movie.

Being reckless, unethical and wrong is not the way to convince
people that you are dedicated to your career nor does it show you
as “unconventional”. All it shows is you are willing to do the
wrong thing if it gets you where you want to get.

What a truly creative filmmaker does is make that “crappy ass”
town look and feel like an amazing location for a surprising
story. Are you good enough to do that?

Back