SEEKING COMPLETED FEATURE FILMS TO BUY

ATTENTION FILMMAKERS with completed films ready for sale: We have direct access to a buyer who is currently, aggressively seeking HORROR, FAMILY-FRIENDLY, ANIMATION (also family-friendly), and ACTION films. Of those 4 genres, the ONLY genre that requires 'name' 'recognizable' actors is ACTION. For ACTION there must be a 'name' in the film. It can be someone who was a 'name' even decades ago, as long as they were once a 'name,' e.g. Lorenzo Lamas, Gary Busey, etc. (Obviously the bigger the 'name/star' the better though.) ALL OTHER genres other than ACTION can have a cast of unheard of rank and file working actors... not a problem as long as the production value is decent and the script, acting, direction and so forth are also decent. IF you have something that fits or know someone who does, contact me here. PLEASE INCLUDE CELL PHONE CONTACT AND/OR DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS, INCLUDE IN YOUR MESSAGE: GENRE OF FILM, ANY NOTABLE NAMES ATTACHED (CREW or TALENT), THE BUDGET YOU MADE THE FILM ON, AND IF POSSIBLE PLEASE...A LINK TO THE TRAILER OR A CLIP AT LEAST! We will contact you if it sounds like a good fit (and more than likely it WILL BE.)

The buyer is a company that everyone has heard of, NOT a small timer at all. The buyer is seeking to buy immediately!

Because, here at Indietalk, we are bitter people, who, are upset that we haven't "made it" yet in the industry, so anytime someone posts anything here we use our "smarts" (or lack thereof more like) to "outwit" and "make a fool of" other members.

Far from bitter. Call it cautious. Call it experienced. My cynicism kicks in when there is a serious dearth of information. And, when we started to ask questions, instead of supplying more information or posting a website link or other form of contact the OP got defensive.

Here's another thread from someone looking for content:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=54247

They lay out everything on their website, complete with an email address for further information. We don't know if it is legit or not, but my antenna aren't twitching as violently.

I've been in the entertainment industry for over 35 years and there are multitudes of scammers out there looking to take advantage of hopeful artists of all types, and even the agreements/contracts/whatever with many of the "legit" companies are not conducive to high degrees of trust.

Far from bitter. Call it cautious. Call it experienced. My cynicism kicks in when there is a serious dearth of information. And, when we started to ask questions, instead of supplying more information or posting a website link or other form of contact the OP got defensive.

Here's another thread from someone looking for content:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=54247

They lay out everything on their website, complete with an email address for further information. We don't know if it is legit or not, but my antenna aren't twitching as violently.

I've been in the entertainment industry for over 35 years and there are multitudes of scammers out there looking to take advantage of hopeful artists of all types, and even the agreements/contracts/whatever with many of the "legit" companies are not conducive to high degrees of trust.

Exactly.png

if your BS meter is pegged, you need to seriously re-calibrate your BS meter because it will be "pegged" for virtually every serious commercial distributor!

I've had to strengthen the peg on my meter.

--------

Serious commercial distributors are unlikely to open a floodgate of submissions they can't possibly screen by posting in here. Surely with you being an "expert" and all, you'll understand why there are gatekeepers in this business.

On the other hand, a forum filled with desperate filmmakers is ideal for phony fly-by-night "distributors" charging for submissions and other "fees" -- their business model may work even if all the contents submitted are crap.

My cynicism kicks in when there is a serious dearth of information. And, when we started to ask questions, instead of supplying more information or posting a website link or other form of contact the OP got defensive.

Strange, I'm the complete opposite! My cynicism kicks in when there is too much information, when a distributor/agent answers questions publicly and effectively acts as a seller rather than as a buyer. Distributors are of course essentially middle-men, so they are both buyers and sellers. When they have completed content (and the rights to distribute it) they are sellers and of course have websites, trailers and other PR/marketing tools to provide information in order to sell thier content but as far as buying/procuring that content in the first place, they publicly provide virtually no information, certainly as far as the business side is concerned.

Everyone in the industry knows this and would never ask those types of questions. Doing so therefore demonstrates ignorance of the industry which indicates/implies that those asking the questions are probably too ignorant/inexperienced to produce content desirable by the industry in the first place!! If a deal looks like it might be on the table, then of course these questions need to be asked (and satisfactorily answered) but they need to be asked at that stage, by those people and in private.

I didn't see the OP as getting defensive, I saw them as getting indignant... A significant difference! If you go into a Ford dealership to buy a car and instead of showing you the cars, the only questions the salesman asks pertain to whether you are a real buyer or not, you'd probably be indignant too. I certainly would be, I would not answer the questions, walk out and not buy from that dealer on principle!

The OP's indignant response indicated to me (though of course not conclusively) that they are, or at least might be, a legitimate buyer! Those responses lowered my BS meter rather than "pegged" it!

I've had to strengthen the peg on my meter.
On the other hand, a forum filled with desperate filmmakers is ideal for phony fly-by-night "distributors" charging for submissions and other "fees" -- their business model may work even if all the contents submitted are crap.

Good luck with that approach!

It's true that IT is a potentially target rich environment for dodgy aggregators or dodgy providers of various services to aid/facilitate indie filmmakers to essentially self distribute. However, that's not the case here!! Not once did the OP say or even imply that they are some sort of service provider who would charge you for their service, in fact the complete opposite, the OP specifically stated they are buyers! The second they ask for any sort of up-front fee, then my BS meter would be "pegged" too but until then, as a seller, you have to assume they are a legitimate buyer, just as the car salesman does, otherwise you'll alienate them. This is fundamental basics of sales which anyone with half an inkling of how the world works should know!! So, as I said; good luck ever selling a film commercially if your starting position is to alienate potential buyers!

There seems to be here on IT not only only a great deal of ignorance of the very basics of salesmanship but ignorance of product design and ignorance of the marketplace as well. Hardly surprising therefore that few, if any, here ever get any type of distribution deal which even cover their costs, let alone make a decent enough profit to actually constitute being a professional filmmaker.

Just think about the market for a minute: There are more cinema screens worldwide than there has ever been and more TV channels worldwide than there has ever been and therefore there is more demand for content than there has ever been. The problem isn't with the demand side of the supply/demand equation it's with the supply side. There are plenty of distributors/broadcasters/sales agents looking for content, their problem is finding the type of content with the production values which fulfils the requirements of their marketplace at a price which represents a lucrative investment/purchase. The vast majority here do not appear to think in terms of "product", "product design", the marketplace or the requirements of the commercial buyers (distributors/broadcasters). They generally don't appear to even bother to find out what the buyers are really looking for, let alone how to fulfil those demands/requirements. Instead, they just make their own films, for their own reasons, to their own specifications, for their own pleasure/experience and then hope they can find a distributor who by sheer chance just happens to be looking for exactly that type, quality, specifications and price of content. By definition this is amateur filmmaking and by definition they have almost no chance of success. The solution of many appears to be: Spend more time trying to make money self distributing, buy some new camera equipment or improve their photography skills, redefine "success" and, moan about the state of the industry and become cynical, disparaging and alienated from/towards it. Sorry, but that's a petulant child's solution! The only viable solution, if they're serious about professional/commercial success in the industry, is to develop a professional approach to filmmaking, which means thinking in terms of buyer requirements and product design to actually improve their chances of success!

I respect and admire those who dedicate themselves to amateur filmmaking, what I don't respect are those amateurs who aspire to being professional but refuse to try, accept, learn about or develop any sort of professional approach. What I find really offensive though are those amateurs who not only vainly want commercial success only on their own terms but who deliberately alienate and sabotage potential opportunities for those who are attempting a more serious professional approach to filmmaking. If people like this come to totally dominate IndieTalk, it will not be a forum which includes those involved in, serious about or aspire to commercial indie filmmaking, it will become a forum solely for a subset of ignorant, bitter, no hope trolls! It wouldn't be the first time this has happened to an indie film forum and I personally think the moderators (and indietalk owners) should be concerned and more circumspect/active in threads of this type.

G

Last edited:
The OP, "Executive Production", may very well be on the up-and-up. They could be legit, and they could possibly help an indie filmmaker looking to expand the range of their film.

But yeah, I think the skepticism shown here is definitely warranted. The OP says that secrecy/discretion is the norm in these matters, but I don't see that as reflecting reality.

By comparison, Nick Soares, owner/operator of Distribber, has been very upfront about who he is and what his business model entails, and they've had tremendous recent success. If your business is so great, why in the world would you want to hide it?

Not too long ago, I responded to a post similar to this one on IT. Doesn't hurt to show my trailer to somebody, right? They liked the trailer, and asked to see the movie. Great. I sent it to them, and they liked it. They offered what they called a "partnership" -- their marketing skills and established marketing team, partnered with my film. We'd split profits evenly, the logic being that I took a gamble by making the film, and they're taking a gamble by devoting their marketing resources to it. Fine, I'm okay with that logic, I don't need any money up-front.

Except, they wanted me to COMPLETELY sign away the rights to my movie, INDEFINITELY. With no money up-front, they were literally asking me to just give them my movie, with no assurance that they'd actually do anything with it. I respectfully told them that I would need some sort of out-clause, and that was enough for them to forget about me.

I dunno, sounds kinda shady. If you always get the same negative response, do you think it's possible that maybe you're doing things wrong?

They could be legit, and they could possibly help an indie filmmaker looking to expand the range of their film.

It's extremely unlikely they would help an indie filmmaker expand the range of their film as that is NOT what the OP is offering!

Not too long ago, I responded to a post similar to this one on IT. ... They offered what they called a "partnership"...

Interesting anecdote, but what's it got to do with the OP or this thread? The OP is NOT offering a "partnership", they specifically stated they want to buy films.

The OP says that secrecy/discretion is the norm in these matters, but I don't see that as reflecting reality. ... By comparison, Nick Soares, owner/operator of Distribber...

Let me get this straight; you don't think it reflects reality that secrecy/discretion is the norm for film buyers but you do think it reflects reality to compare a seller of a service to indie filmmakers with a buyer of films from indie filmmakers?!!

G

Last edited:
Oh, APE, why must you be so contrarian? My anecdote might be relevant because the posting I responded to was equally lacking in details. I only learned about the "partnership" after much communication with them. The OP in this thread is advertising that they buy films, but that would make them one hell of an anomaly. Very few films are actually purchased these days, and it typically happens at major film festivals. The standard model of success for low-budget films is distribution, not purchase.

So here comes this mystery purchaser of films, advertising to purchase films from members of a very amateur film forum, with very few filmmakers who've made feature films, and even less whose feature films have had any semblance of success in the festival circuit. That doesn't strike you as somewhat insincere?

Oh, APE, why must you be so contrarian?

I'm not being "contrarian", you are! I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt until there is at least a shred of evidence that they are being insincere.

The OP in this thread is advertising that they buy films, but that would make them one hell of an anomaly. Very few films are actually purchased these days, and it typically happens at major film festivals.

Huh? Thousands of films are bought and sold annually and there are many thousands of successful independent production companies making and selling films and the market is worth many billions! The vast majority of films are NOT purchased at major film festivals, only a tiny percentage are.

By stating they have a buyer, the implication is that the OP is a content agent of some sort. They obviously cannot name the buyer (without committing commercial suicide), so we have no idea who the buyer is, or even what area of the industry they're in (theatrical, TV or VOD for example). Without any evidence, you're making the assumption the OP is specifically talking about US theatrical distribution of very low budget films, which is a tiny fraction of the worldwide film/content market!

So here comes this mystery purchaser of films, advertising to purchase films from members of a very amateur film forum, with very few filmmakers who've made feature films, and even less whose feature films have had any semblance of success in the festival circuit. That doesn't strike you as somewhat insincere?

IndieTalk does not present itself as a forum exclusively for amateur filmmakers, it presents itself as a forum for the independent "filmmaking community" in general. It's only after spending time here that it becomes obvious that it's exclusively (or almost exclusively) populated by amateurs.

G

Thank you! Sadly, naive/negative-minded Indietalkers appeared to have ran him off.

You're the only one showing a sense of naivety. And I wouldn't refer to it as "negative-minded" to ask someone for their credentials. If he "ran off" then good. There is not a single reason to seek anonymity if you have nothing to hide

There is not a single reason to seek anonymity if you have nothing to hide ...

What kind of idiot are you? All commercial "middle-men" have something to hide, if they didn't there would be no commercial middle-men, in any industry, let alone the film industry!

If he "ran off" then good. ...

Do you have a completed feature to sell and do you have a shred of evidence (besides your own ignorance of the basics of business) that the OP is not legit? If your answer to these two questions is "no" then you've answered my previous question; the kind of idiot you are is a TROLL and the worst kind of troll because your trolling not only affects the OP but any member of IT who is actually a feature filmmaker!

How you and GuerriillaAngel can continue to post in this thread without any consideration for your fellow IT members and is beyond me. Any decent human being would be ashamed but you actually seem proud that you have helped to "run-off" someone who is potentially extremely useful to some of the IT members. If I were an IT moderator or owner I would ban you both, indefinitely and without hesitation!

G

Being skeptical of offers and asking questions isn't a bad thing. But some of the hostility and condescending attitudes directed toward the OP were unnecessary and rude. OP could have been a conman, or could have been a potentially useful producer trying to reach out to the indie community. Either way, most of the members here judged and attacked based upon 3 short posts, 2 of which were defending the first.

I'm not going to take as extreme of a stance as APE, but some of the reactions in this thread have been really disappointing.

Naw, the OP did not post one single bit of information that we could google and confirm independently in his original post.

I mean, come on, man up and post your company's name and name some of the principals so we can verify that such persons and corporations actually exist and have a actual shot of being legit.

I'm not sheep and I hate being jerked around. This guy expected both from all of us.

Last edited:
Naw, the OP did not post one single bit of information that we could google and confirm independently in his original post. ... I hate being jerked around. This guy expected both from all of us.

Have you got a feature film to sell? Has the OP watched your trailer and is offering you a service or asking for a fee? If not, then how the hell is he "jerking you around"?

The guy expected nothing from you or anyone else here, beyond the basic level of respect the potential buyer of any product would expect! You refused and instead attacked the OP's legitimacy without any evidence, why is that?

There is something called "confidentiality" that precludes me from broadcasting the name of the buyer in a public forum on the internet. This is standard business protocol.

How we choose to do business is up to us.

GA: Which one of these statements do you disagree with and why?

Just as a buyer of any product, the OP is entitled to any degree of confidentiality/anonymity they desire, at least until it comes time to actually negotiate a deal. It's entirely common for a buyer to want to remain anonymous until such time as they find a product they're interested in, and even then they would usually still want to remain anonymous to everyone except that particular seller. What part of these fundamental basics of business/commerce do you not understand? What are the chances of any adult not knowing or appreciating these basics, compared to the chances that you are just being an obnoxious troll, especially considering that you don't even appear to have a horse in this race?

G

I'm with you on this, APE.

Both GA and mussonman have no reason to be so afraid of this guy.
And no reason to be so rude and negative. He asked filmmakers with
finished to see trailers. And they are both proud of themselves for
being rude and condescending – proud that they gave indietalk a bad
reputation. This guy could have been a valued member of our community.
I, too, am honestly disappointed at how he was treated by two members
here. And two members without a finished feature film.

do you have a shred of evidence (besides your own ignorance of the basics of business) that the OP is not legit?

The burden of proof lies upon someone making a claim!! If I were to say I made a feature film, it would be up to me to prove it to someone asking me to do so, not for them to prove that I didn't!

As usual, APE, I am astonished by your ignorance.

And to the others, I apologize if I came off as "negative" but once he started dodging questions then the red flag was beyond up.

There isn't much more to say, I saw something suspicious and I said what needed to be said. I don't need to keep coming back here and defending mine and other people's position, when there is not a valid argument against anyone's skepticism here, (other than He MAY be legit.) There is no reason to seek anonymity, there is no reason not to post a link to these other forums where he supposedly bought features before, and there is no reason to shrug off suspicion. What damage could possibly be done by knowing that a movie distribution company sometimes buys movies?

All of the negativity here is coming from APE and his unwarranted anger at justified skepticism. And it reads as obvious anger, almost like he's offended that anyone else dare to have a separate opinion than his. There is no need to stoop to name-calling and then turn around and point fingers at others for negative behavior.

Do you have a completed feature to sell

......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WskBTJPg8

I'm sure you'll come back for "the last word" and I'll let you have it. I won't read it cuz I don't care anymore, there's nothing new you'll say.

In conclusion,

I deeply apologize for my attempts at looking out for the IT community and hoping to open a naive filmmakers eyes to the possibility that someone out there can and will try to scam them. I'll never do it again.

From now on, I'll live my life like this little fella: http://youtu.be/s3zjRcMnRNY?t=1m9s

Last edited:
Before I continue this conversation, first let me say that I am open to the idea that the OP is legit. And I can honestly say that if it weren't for the fact that my completed feature does not fit into any of their four categories, I would have definitely contacted them by now. Doesn't hurt to show your trailer, right?

That being said, this thread just reeks of bad math. The numbers aren't adding up for me, in many ways. And that just kinda makes it feel shady to me.

The OP states that their buyer does several hundred millions in sales, annually. Really? Cuz that would put them on a pretty short list. By indie standards, Troma is a pretty big name, but even they don't come even close to doing hundreds of millions in sales per year. Who is this magical company that is able to make so much money, buying and selling small films that may or may not have any name actors? They must work with really high quantities.

The OP says that they've grown used to getting negative reactions when they come to websites such as this one. How many websites such as this one exist? Two. That's how many. It's us and dvxuser. That's it (there's a few more out there, but none of them get any traction).

And again, why would a buyer come here? Look, I LOVE indietalk. To this day, I continue to benefit from relationships I've made here, and I often get good advice from people whom I'm never met or had any previous experience with. But let's be honest -- we're a bunch of amateurs. There are only a small handful of IT members who work in the field, professionally, and none of them are producing indie feature films. The small handful of IT members who are actively producing feature films are working with tiny-tiny-budgets, and when I say "handful", I mean that you can count us on one hand. This doesn't seem like the best place for a buyer who allegedly does hundreds of millions of dollars in annual sales to come looking for a film to purchase.

APE, you think that thousands of films are purchased each year? How many feature films do you think are made, annually? The vast majority of feature films go nowhere and do nothing. If thousands are sold, how many more aren't sold but distributed, and how many more do nothing? And no, I never assumed we were talking about US theatrical release. Where are you getting your numbers? It feels like you're pulling them out of someplace brown and stinky.

APE, you chide mussonman for contributing to this thread, even though he's never made a feature film. Where's your feature film? Oh, that's right, you don't have one, because you're not a filmmaker. How much time have you spent researching the viability of selling and/or getting distribution for a tiny-budget feature? I'm going to assume that number is zero hours, because you don't make films. I do make films, and I have done the research, and this thread is fishy as fuck.

Back