Oh CRAP!

I was chatting with a TV producer friend of mine earlier tonight and happened to mention the faux reality show idea that I plan to shoot the first (and maybe only) episode of later this year. She asked me a bunch of questions and said "Sounds great! Give me a treatment or 20 minutes of video and I'll get it in front of the networks next month." WHAT? I just came up with the idea for this thing last week, I am nowhere near ready to shoot any footage. Does anybody have any really good links to how to do a treatment and pitch that work? Since I am new to this part of the industry, I'm really looking for a paint by numbers sort of format here.

@Sweetie, The TV people that are running me ragged seem to think that the story is worth making. The show developer is the one talking to the producer (from Thailand) and he isn't terribly good at communicating what he needs from me. Of course, nobody has ever made a show like this before so, he might not know what he needs from me anymore than I do.

@movingon, Thank-you for your kind words. I have no objection to you plugging your daughter as a possible cast member for the show, she has an impressive resume. You do realize that this show will be filmed in rural Louisiana, right? As for whether she could be cast as the show's lead female character (I know that I haven't posted any specifics about the show), the female lead is 19 years old. I would have to get with the costume designer and see if she thinks that Nadia could pull off the look we are going for. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Just a quick update. The show is stuck in development limbo at the moment. The network types have realized that, because this is a new type of TV show, nobody has ever had success with it before. We are trying to get them to come over to the glass half full side of the street and realize that it also means that this type of show has never failed before either. It seems that networks aren't really interested in original thoughts or forging new inroads of entertainment. At this point all I can do is wait to see if the developer, who has decided to forego payment on this project in an attempt to get it sold, can convince the money guys to loosen their collective grip on the purse strings. If anything shakes loose, I will post it here.

My producer spoke with a former student of hers that is a retired (at 23) development executive from NBC. He recommended that I pull a bait and switch by writing a traditional script as if was a sit-com or other non-reality TV staple. He said that once he has that, we can pitch it as a scripted reality series then change it once it's in production.

The District 9 connection is a good angle. I'm still going to give them what they're asking for by writing a fully scripted pilot and see how that shakes out. If I end up having to shoot the pilot myself, my producer has an investor that may fund it, she is waiting until there is no possibility of the network paying to shoot the pilot until she pitches it to him though. This whole hurry up and wait thing is really irksome.

I hope that it gets made and we do a version IN Australia!

Here is the latest, the studio wants a fully scripted pilot. I am currently working on completely changing the way I envisioned this project (welcome to the entertainment industry). The studio guy is now scheduled to be in town the first week of March. My developer says that he wants to have dinner with me to discuss the project before the formal pitch. That sounds nice. Having never written for television, I have no idea if my pacing and arc breaks are even in the ballpark. Oh yeah, I'm also horribly behind on my writing up to this point because I hadn't intended to script the dialoge. Add to that the documentary that I'm in short window pre-production on, my feature film that I haven't finished and am being asked for the screenplay, and that I'm in the middle of buying a house, not to mention my regular 12 hour a day job, and I'm a tad bit stretched on time.

I will finish this pilot script and I will pitch this sucker like it's the only thing that I've ever cared about. If it doesn't sell, no big deal, I'll make it on my own at some point in the future. Meanwhile, I will be working on my other projects and promoting each of them as if it was the only thing that I ever cared about. Wish me luck.

john-turner-g-luckyhorseshoe.jpg

Luck!

Well, it has been awhile since I had anything to share on this project. The pitch meeting is set for March 8th. My producer has another pre-pitch meeting on the 4th. Hopefully they won't change their minds on what they want and how it should be presented yet again. I have finally managed to finish putting words into my characters' mouths. I just have to tweak the order of some of the scenes for continuity and flow purposes.

The script doctor had the following to say after reading the completed manuscript.
"I really love ********. It's special. Lots of shows and books imagine the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, but only ******** answers the 'what happens' question with bureaucratic tedium and reality TV."

Obviously, I removed the name of the show. My producer doesn't want me to reveal that yet.

Go figure, the pitch has been postponed. Again. At this point, I'm really getting tired of this whole process. Let this be a lesson to anyone who is planning to or going through this ordeal, your patience WILL be tested. I just got a cryptic message about "an NBC option." ???

The NBC option is that my producer friend is connected to a big wig at NBC. He asked for a copy of the pilot screenplay. Tomorrow morning he will have it. He offered to sign a non-disclosure agreement. I decided against. I mention this because there has been a bit of discussion on if someone should ask for one or not. I hope telling him that I don't need one will convey that I trust him and, hopefully, garner some good will from him. Besides, the manuscript is registered and I have provable delivery of the show goods to him. I figure that I'm covered.

I guess I can say that the other network that has expressed interest in the show is A&E. I was originally supposed to formally pitch this thing to them back in September of last year. I have become very tired of all of the delays from A&E. I will still pitch to them if they come through, but I'm not holding out for them any more.

I got the preliminary feedback from the guy at NBC today. Although he loves the idea of the show and thinks that it will be a hit for whichever network picks it up, he does not see NBC as the network for this particular show. He sent along a list of contact info for people at various networks that he thinks would be better suited for this project. One of his critiques was that he could not figure out if the show is a dramatic comedy or a comedic drama. I'm not sure how to answer him on that one. It's a fake reality show, so I guess it would be a comedic drama. He did say that he was only able to give it a cursory read through and will be making a much more in depth read this week.

Here's a cut/paste from the message I got from my producer on the subject.

He was VERY complimentary about your concept, plotting, timing and dialogue. He's going to read it again and make more specific notes. He had some suggestions of whom to contact. It's probably not right for old-fashioned network TV, but he really does think it's a winner.

As always, we shall see.

Lucky, are you repped? If not, I really think you ought to consider looking for an agent. If you're getting feedback like that from a major network, I think you might be able to drum up some interest. An agent would help keep things moving faster -- it's part of what they do.

Just a suggestion. Good luck!

I don't have an agent. My producer has been doing all of the leg work on my projects so far. The NBC guy did ask if I would be willing to stay on as head writer/show runner. It may well be time to consider an agent, I just hadn't given it any thought.

The thing to remember here is that I originally conceived of this as a one shot deal 22 minute short film to boost my reel. I never envisioned it as a recurring series, let alone an hour long one. Okay, that last part isn't entirely accurate. I figured that I would shoot the original concept over a long weekend for around $5k and upload it to YouTube and Vimeo. I only vaguely considered the possibility that it might catch on and possibly lead to something. Once I started sharing the idea with a few people, it took on a life of it's own.

well, really, I see only talk and no life. Are you being stalled while someone else develops your idea? Id execute your original plan get the pilot made, and start building that following you know will come. There are several reasons why someone might lead you on and few of them have anything to do with making you money!

I hear what you're saying, wheat. Everything is registered with the WGA and we have an e-mail/message trail with everyone who has been given the source material. At this point, I trust my producer because what is good for me is also good for her. I do wish that I could get a simple yes or no answer as to if they are seriously interested in the show. In all fairness, the NBC guy only first saw the package a little over a week ago. Plus, NBC is most likely a tad too stodgy to air a show of this type.

I first came up with the idea for this project at the end of August last year. Since then, I have changed this thing so much to meet what the various studio and network people have been telling me that they want that I would have to just about start over from scratch to go back to what I first had in mind. I don't mind doing that but I recently bought a new house and am in the process of renovating it, so my funds are a tad tight at the moment. I figure that I'll let this thing run it's course and see what happens. I really don't see NBC throwing a sack full of cash at me and A&E looks to be out of the picture at this point. The NBC guy hasn't said that they aren't interested, but he did forward a list of contacts that he thinks would want the show. It has been 7 1/2 months so far and I'm getting tired of waiting. If I still had the liquid funds available, I would just reset to 1 and follow my initial plan. I put my Roadrunner on the back burner so, when the renovation on the house is complete and I've gotten a few more paychecks, if nobody has purchased the show before I recoup the cash to do it myself, I will start over with the original concept.

As always, we shall see.

Back