Need help with ideas on funding

So my producing partner and I have just started looking for investors for my directorial feature film debut. We are looking to raise anywhere from $500,000 to $2.5 million. It's a romantic thriller (think Match Point meeting The Ice Storm).

So far we have been contacting real estate agents and dentists. We just started three days ago so we hope as we contact more we get a lot of interests. A few real estate agents did say that they will get back to me.

Outside of crowdfunding ( I am just not popular enough) what else can I do? I had my agent submit my script to a production company for me. I have reached out to some stars (one of which actually seems interested). And I have video auditions for all of the roles. What is a good plan of action right now?

I tried to get another producer and line producer on board. But they have kinda flaked on me. But I figure with my producing partner that I don't really need another producer. Maybe a line producer once we get money.

I am probably going to look up some indie film production companies and send over the script as well. We are looking to shoot as early as April.

My last short has been submitted to Sundance, SXSW, Slamdance, and TriBeCa, and it will be submitted to several others. So when it gets into some of these festivals that will surely help.

Any ideas? Anyone interested in coming on board?

And there has been no criticism. Just people trying to knock me into their own reality.

Huh? YOU came here asking how to enter the reality of the commercial film industry and we are telling you, as is the list of directors you listed. No one is trying to knock you into anything!

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, and simple common sense should tell you that if you want the film industry to provide you with commercial film funding, then you have to live by the rules/reality of the commercial film industry. If instead you want to live by own reality, fine, no problem at all, fund the film yourself and live by whatever reality you choose!

What you appear to want is a scenario where someone gives you a million dollars or so (for no other reason than because you asked for it) AND, you get to live in whatever reality you choose as well. The only problem is, this is a scenario you've invented, it doesn't exist in reality!

G

Huh? YOU came here asking how to enter the reality of the commercial film industry and we are telling you, as is the list of directors you listed. No one is trying to knock you into anything!

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, and simple common sense should tell you that if you want the film industry to provide you with commercial film funding, then you have to live by the rules/reality of the commercial film industry. If instead you want to live by own reality, fine, no problem at all, fund the film yourself and live by whatever reality you choose!

What you appear to want is a scenario where someone gives you a million dollars or so (for no other reason than because you asked for it) AND, you get to live in whatever reality you choose as well. The only problem is, this is a scenario you've invented, it doesn't exist in reality!

G

lool

I think here is some miss understanding that if you get some where lot of money 1,2,10 million life suddenly chance. With money you get things, but there comes bigger responsibility.

I think here is not so many people that have experience about funding more than 1 million project, but I believe that many people have worked on project of that size or bigger all over the world. So people have I called it silent information. What comes with experience.

I encourage you to think these answers, but there is not 1 right way to do things so nobody don't force you to do that way what people say. What works for me don't work for everybody and I do most of the time commercials and TV-show in Europe so I don't know so much about funding in US.

I think you should find producer who have lot of contacts, knows legal details making contracts and etc. Then you can just focus on script and help him with running things. I don't know do you have synopsis ready, train you pitch, think how you can tell in 3 sentence what is your movie about. Can you make some material example concept photos or mood trailer? Because when the moment comes that you walk on the street and you see accidentally your potential investor you are ready.

directorik: There are people who are willing to work with little or no pay for sure. But at least with the people I hired they were annoying about it and some flaked due to it. I have worked for very little to no money on a movie as actor. But I don't think anyone knows that.

But why get stuck in "realism" when anything is possible? Just have to believe, send it out to the universe, and put the work in. I think people should be allowed to fail and succeed on their own terms.

Blade: I would put my own money into my feature film. But I'd never get a bank loan. Just doesn't make any sense (not that I could get one anyway).

You don't need to find a stupid investor. You need to find someone who either believes in the project or wants to take a risk.

David: What are you talking about? Who said that I want millions for a short film???

Mogul: I want to hear some positive talk. Not "no you won't do this".

Sweetie: Now you are mixing my words.

Often times people hire people who can get the job done without really worrying about who they are as person. Just thinking that their skills will be enough. Sometimes it is. But a lot of times you realize that it is about the personalities. I never said anyone looks for people who are incompatible and untrustworthy. Quit trying to be cheeky.

It happens a ton on sports teams, major corporations and etc.

Audio: We all choose whatever reality we want to live in.

elemental: Yes money doesn't mean all the issues will go away and perhaps there is more pressure. But pressure is fine. And money eliminates worrying about people who will flake and etc

I went to this networking event and met a producer there. I plan on going to some more.

directorik: There are people who are willing to work with little or no pay for sure. But at least with the people I hired they were annoying about it and some flaked due to it. I have worked for very little to no money on a movie as actor. But I don't think anyone knows that.
Then you hired the wrong people. Don't blame Los Angeles or the people
who live and work here. Find and hire the right people. That is on you.
In my experience the main reason people who are not getting paid their
day rate flake because of the producer and/or director not because of
the money.

But why get stuck in "realism" when anything is possible? Just have to believe, send it out to the universe, and put the work in. I think people should be allowed to fail and succeed on their own terms.
It's perception. YOU think if anyone points out the realities they are trying
to knock you down. YOU think that anyone who doesn't encourage you
and tell you are are doing great is not allowing you to fail or succeed on
your own. Other than two people here everyone else's intent is to help
you, not hurt you. I'm sorry you don't see that. That is on you.

Anything is possible when you know and face the reality. As I said, I think
you're right. This is not the place for you. You want everyone to encourage
you and no one to discuss the harsh realities. You won't find that here.
But I see you're still reading posts here and commenting so there must
be something about indietalk you like.

the money.

dont bother. born after 1984 wants constant coddling but will never do anything anyway. just wants to be told he can haha. victim mentality

the money.
I agree I did hire the wrong people and I learned from that. But there are a ton of superficial and flaky people in L.A. Just got to weed through them.

I don't think people flake just because of the director or the producer. Sometimes it's a power play, sometimes they just don't take themselves seriously.

Let's look at most of the posts. Audio is telling me in a negative way what I cannot do and why I cannot do it. Most replies have been "no you can't do that, no you don't do this". I don't need a cheerleader. But I started this asking for what I can do. I didn't want to be told others limiting beliefs.

Last edited:
I agree I did hire the wrong people and I learned from that. But there are a ton of superficial and flaky people in L.A. Just got to weed through them.

I don't think people flake just because of the director or the producer. Sometimes it's a power play, sometimes they just don't take themselves seriously>
Fair enough. Not my experience. I have "flaked" low/no pay jobs only
when the filmmaker has an attitude I don't like. I have many friends
and colleagues who only leave a no/low pay job when they feel they
are not being treated well. I know far more producers and directors who
play power games and take themselves far too seriously than crew and
actors. I don't know a single person who has left a no/low pay job where
the producer and/or director treated them with dignity, respect and
appreciation.

I have never had anyone "flake" from any of my no/low pay projects.
There are ton of superficial and flaky people everywhere. I have found
the people in L.A. to be dedicated, talented and professional. You and I
have very different experiences. It make me wonder why. You seem to
be the "glass-half-empty" person who sees the negative in everything.

I'm sorry your experiences here in L.A. have been so poor.

Let's look at most of the post. Audio is telling me in a negative way what I cannot do and why I cannot do it. Most replies have been "no you can't do that, no you don't do this". I don't need a cheerleader. But I started this asking for what I can do. I didn't want to be told others limiting beliefs.
I did look at all the posts. YOU see only the negative. I see a lot of excellent
advice that if followed will help you in your quest for funding.

You win. This is not the forum for you. I wish you the best and I hope
you find the forum you need.

Fair enough. Not my experience. I have "flaked" low/no pay jobs only
when the filmmaker has an attitude I don't like. I have many friends
and colleagues who only leave a no/low pay job when they feel they
are not being treated well. I know far more producers and directors who
play power games and take themselves far too seriously than crew and
actors. I don't know a single person who has left a no/low pay job where
the producer and/or director treated them with dignity, respect and
appreciation.

I have never had anyone "flake" from any of my no/low pay projects.
There are ton of superficial and flaky people everywhere. I have found
the people in L.A. to be dedicated, talented and professional. You and I
have very different experiences. It make me wonder why. You seem to
be the "glass-half-empty" person who sees the negative in everything.

I'm sorry your experiences here in L.A. have been so poor.

I have already made a thread a while back explaining what happened. But I had a sound guy say he had a "family emergency" (no big deal the dp had his own sound equipment and we had an extra guy on set). One actress who's life was crashing down due to herself completely flake and another actress claim to have gone to a party and been slipped "something" (though she did show up the second day and was quite lovely).

I am actually a glass half full. I stay positive. But I am just being honest on my experience. Maybe you have just been in better situations than me. Or you can play power games better than me (you seem more experienced than me).

I did look at all the posts. YOU see only the negative. I see a lot of excellent
advice that if followed will help you in your quest for funding.

You win. This is not the forum for you. I wish you the best and I hope
you find the forum you need.

Really? There were tidbits here and there that were good. Maybe I was just so taken back by the tone of Audio's posts. But I only really see naysayers not really saying anything to aide me in where I am trying to go.

Forums are overrated anyway.

Now you are mixing my words.

Often times people hire people who can get the job done without really worrying about who they are as person. Just thinking that their skills will be enough. Sometimes it is. But a lot of times you realize that it is about the personalities. I never said anyone looks for people who are incompatible and untrustworthy. Quit trying to be cheeky.

It happens a ton on sports teams, major corporations and etc.

No mixing. It's what you said. Flat and simple. So now we're back to you discovering the worlds big secret: Hiring people who are compatible and trustworthy...

There are people who are willing to work with little or no pay for sure. But at least with the people I hired they were annoying about it and some flaked due to it. I have worked for very little to no money on a movie as actor. But I don't think anyone knows that.

Find and hire the right people. That is on you.

I don't think people flake just because of the director or the producer. Sometimes it's a power play, sometimes they just don't take themselves seriously.

Just reading this through I'm noticing a pattern. There's a large hole in your decision making abilities. You need to learn to make better decisions. You need to read people better. You need to learn to listen to those around you who are offering advice. You need to take more responsibility for your own decisions and actions if you ever expect anyone to trust you with money to make a film.

Or you can play power games better than me
A put down?

I treat the people who work for me with respect and appreciation. Especially
those who are doing me a favor by working for no/low pay. That to you is
a power game.

I think I understand even better now where you're coming from. I regret
saying anything in this thread.

.....Or you can play power games better than me .....

We clearly have a different view on this, but the fact you actually are playing power games, because you fear someone else will, could be a reason for people to flake. I've never met anyone on set interested in playing power games. Everyone gathers to achieve a common goal. Sometimes there are different opions or desires (often restrained by what is possible), sometimes things are tense (because the pressure can be high), but I never experienced any power play.
Maybe I'm just naieve and don't notice, or maybe I'm made of teflon and it just doesn't stick, or maybe it's just because I and the people I've worked with don't enter the set with the intention of playing such games.
You should learn to deal with insecurities in a different way than power plays and 'intimidation' with your for US standards tall posture.

Since you seem to be into 'the secret' laws of attraction, you must know that the universe often gives you a mirror of your intentions and perspective. If you are afraid of dogs: every dog seems dangerous. If APE's* posts annoy you, you start focussing on all the negative things. If you feel like you need to play power games your 'opponent' will often give you that as a reaction or lose motivation. And you'll interpret anything in the frame of that power play; a suggestion to possibly improve a shot looks like a cloaked daggar to take your power.

I understand you probably do this based on your experiences, but sometimes you must unlearn what you have learnt.

Btw, no matter how you read this post, my previous ones were all about how you can make it easier to get funding and you were giving reasons why that was not possible. (While I already mentioned that you can't show your short now, because of the festivals.)
Give that friend who could edit a trailer that call :)

Btw 2, APE likes to focus on facts and regulations and it often reads as why you can't do something, but if you look closely it's a roadmap that focusses on possible hurdles you'll need to take. It can be used in your advantage.

Audio: We all choose whatever reality we want to live in.

You can't really believe that, surely? Even if you're just serving burgers in McDonald's, you have to meet their criteria to gain employment in the first place and then abide by their rules/reality if you wish to keep that job. You get to choose what reality you live in only on your own dime! To be brutally honest, your response is that of a child with no experience of supporting yourself in the real world.

And money eliminates worrying about people who will flake and etc.

No, it doesn't! It may reduce some of the reasons why people bail on no budget gigs but accidents, injuries, illnesses, family crises and better paying/more prestigious gigs (to name a few examples), are all still issues which affect even very well paid employees and are NOT issues "eliminated" by money. Again, this statement (along with others) indicates a lack of basic knowledge and no real experience of employing or even working alongside professionals.

These two statements contradict each other! Power playing and people who sometimes don't take their work seriously is all part of human nature and paying people to do a job does NOT eliminate human nature! If people "flake" it IS a failure on the part of the Producer or Director; a failure to understand human nature! More specifically, it's a failure to manage the cast and crew or a failure in hiring the right cast/crew in the first place. Demonstrating the experience and skill to hire and manage teams of human beings is one of the criteria which will attract investors, stating that human behaviour will be eliminated by the investor's money will do the exact opposite!

Audio is telling me in a negative way what I cannot do and why I cannot do it.

I am certainly NOT telling you that what (you stated) you want can't be done! I'm just telling you that outside of funding it yourself or getting friends/family (or other "dumb money") to fund it, what you want can't be done how you are trying to do it! This shouldn't come as such a massive shock, as you must obviously be starting to find this out for yourself, because: 1. Your research into how other directors attracted their first commercial funding should have prepared you, AND 2. Otherwise why would you need to come here and ask for ideas on how to fund your film in the first place?

If you're really serious about making a commercially funded feature, then you'll focus on doing what it takes to get commercial funding, IE. Change your approach, to suit those who provide commercial film funding. All your responses so far indicate that you are NOT serious in doing what it takes to make a commercially funded film or rather, that you are far more serious about your own ego than you are about funding and making your film!

You can take this post (and my others) either positively, as far as actually making a commercially funded feature is concerned or negatively, as far as your personal ego is concerned. Which way do you choose to take it?

G

Btw 2, APE likes to focus on facts and regulations and it often reads as why you can't do something, but if you look closely it's a roadmap that focusses on possible hurdles you'll need to take. It can be used in your advantage.

Interesting take on my contributions here! Thinking about it, I can understand why you think I like to focus on facts and regulations, even though in reality I don't believe it's true, at all! In reality, I like to focus on the creativity inherent in my part of the storytelling process. However, that creativity always has to operate within a framework of facts and regulations as, regardless of how good it appeared, I would be judged professionally incompetent if it did not (and the producer would be judged incompetent for creating a film which is not distributable/saleable)! In my everyday work, this framework of facts and regulations is just a given (both by me and by those for whom I work), something that's always there in the back of my mind, while I'm focusing on being creative with the storytelling.

As it is (and always has been) such a given, I'd never thought about it much until I became a member here. Where, for the first time, I interacted with filmmakers for whom it's not a given. And, many don't even know it exists, let alone take it for granted as a fundamental "basic"! So yes, many of my contributions here have had to focus on the framework of facts and regulations, because without that fundamental starting point, no other aspect of filmmaking matters (as far as commercial content is concerned).

G

Sweetie: You are mixing my words and you know it. You are acting like I just discovered that I want to work with people who I like and have chemistry with when I am saying I am less concerned about technical skill now and more concerned about chemistry.

And my decision making is fine. Reading people is a different story, that is something that I've been working on.

Directorik: That isn't a put down. It's a compliment. Treating people with respect and appreciation is for sure a power play. I am not saying that you do this consciously. But that is a power game as you are getting what you want. We all play power games everyday. That's one of the things that makes us different from animals.

Mogul: I will check that out.

Walter: I didn't say that I was playing power games. I prefer not to. But everyone does this. I noticed this a bunch on my set and I actually handled it pretty well.

But you do make a good point about the universe being a mirror of your intentions and perspective. I don't see everything as a power play. But I know full well that people do this all the time, and to be ready to handle them. If I act like no one plays power games I will be crushed.

I remember Kenneth Branagh talking about this and how he wasn't good at this and it ended up hurting a movie he did because some actress was playing power games with him.

You can't really believe that, surely? Even if you're just serving burgers in McDonald's, you have to meet their criteria to gain employment in the first place and then abide by their rules/reality if you wish to keep that job. You get to choose what reality you live in only on your own dime! To be brutally honest, your response is that of a child with no experience of supporting yourself in the real world.
Of course this is true. You create your own reality. You choose what you want to believe and not believe. Your response doesn't even make any sense. I am speaking of your world view and how you life yourself.

And I've been on my own for about two years now (I am 23) so much for being a child with no experience of supporting myself.

No, it doesn't! It may reduce some of the reasons why people bail on no budget gigs but accidents, injuries, illnesses, family crises and better paying/more prestigious gigs (to name a few examples), are all still issues which affect even very well paid employees and are NOT issues "eliminated" by money. Again, this statement (along with others) indicates a lack of basic knowledge and no real experience of employing or even working alongside professionals.
Your opinion.

These two statements contradict each other! Power playing and people who sometimes don't take their work seriously is all part of human nature and paying people to do a job does NOT eliminate human nature! If people "flake" it IS a failure on the part of the Producer or Director; a failure to understand human nature! More specifically, it's a failure to manage the cast and crew or a failure in hiring the right cast/crew in the first place. Demonstrating the experience and skill to hire and manage teams of human beings is one of the criteria which will attract investors, stating that human behaviour will be eliminated by the investor's money will do the exact opposite!
You know that there are people who will show up if they feel that the paycheck is worth it no matter what.

I will say that I did not hire the right cast and crew. I hired very talented people and we made something special. But I didn't hire anyone that I loved to work with. I'm pretty young so I am not sweating that. It was the biggest crew that I've ran as a director and I came out of it okay.

I am certainly NOT telling you that what (you stated) you want can't be done! I'm just telling you that outside of funding it yourself or getting friends/family (or other "dumb money") to fund it, what you want can't be done how you are trying to do it! This shouldn't come as such a massive shock, as you must obviously be starting to find this out for yourself, because: 1. Your research into how other directors attracted their first commercial funding should have prepared you, AND 2. Otherwise why would you need to come here and ask for ideas on how to fund your film in the first place?

If you're really serious about making a commercially funded feature, then you'll focus on doing what it takes to get commercial funding, IE. Change your approach, to suit those who provide commercial film funding. All your responses so far indicate that you are NOT serious in doing what it takes to make a commercially funded film or rather, that you are far more serious about your own ego than you are about funding and making your film!

You can take this post (and my others) either positively, as far as actually making a commercially funded feature is concerned or negatively, as far as your personal ego is concerned. Which way do you choose to take it?

G

Again limiting beliefs. You don't need to have your film fully funded by family (which isn't an option for me) or find "dumb money". A good business plan, good talent attached, and perhaps hiring the actress to also come on as a producer (which is what I am looking to do) to aide with funding can work.

I guess I am just going to do things my way. If I fail, at least I failed on my own terms. And that is better than failing on someone else's terms.

You are acting like I just discovered that I want to work with people who I like and have chemistry with when I am saying I am less concerned about technical skill now and more concerned about chemistry.

This is concerning. If you continue with film making, you'll eventually find out why it's all important.

And my decision making is fine. Reading people is a different story, that is something that I've been working on.

You're having troubles understanding people. It's partially why you're having troubles reading people. It also trails into why your leadership isn't quite working as smoothly as you'd like. With all that being suspect, how can your decision making be fine? You're lacking a big chunk of the information required to make good decisions.

Again limiting beliefs.

I guess I am just going to do things my way. If I fail, at least I failed on my own terms. And that is better than failing on someone else's terms.

Limiting beliefs eh? You're already envisioning you're going to fail. Snap out of it. I prefer option C). Do what it takes to succeed. If that means I need to conform to what investors require to give me money, I'll do it.

Please ditch the limiting beliefs pop psychology crap if you're going to get all downs syndrome with the loser talk, "I'm gonna fail so I'm gonna fail my way" on us.

which is what I am looking to do

WTF? You haven't already done it yet? It's been days? When are you going to get serious and stop being a wannabe???

Back