Need help with ideas on funding

So my producing partner and I have just started looking for investors for my directorial feature film debut. We are looking to raise anywhere from $500,000 to $2.5 million. It's a romantic thriller (think Match Point meeting The Ice Storm).

So far we have been contacting real estate agents and dentists. We just started three days ago so we hope as we contact more we get a lot of interests. A few real estate agents did say that they will get back to me.

Outside of crowdfunding ( I am just not popular enough) what else can I do? I had my agent submit my script to a production company for me. I have reached out to some stars (one of which actually seems interested). And I have video auditions for all of the roles. What is a good plan of action right now?

I tried to get another producer and line producer on board. But they have kinda flaked on me. But I figure with my producing partner that I don't really need another producer. Maybe a line producer once we get money.

I am probably going to look up some indie film production companies and send over the script as well. We are looking to shoot as early as April.

My last short has been submitted to Sundance, SXSW, Slamdance, and TriBeCa, and it will be submitted to several others. So when it gets into some of these festivals that will surely help.

Any ideas? Anyone interested in coming on board?

I am speaking more in the long run with DVD/blu ray sales. Scott Pilgrim v.s the world (a huge studio film) bombed on it's initial release. But since then it's made plenty of any with DVD and blu ray sales.

You MUST dream big. It may sound delusional to others. But those people I mentioned thought it was possible to get $1 million or $2 million to make their film and they did just that. Your example is 100% irrelevant. I am talking about going after what you want in life.

That's why you go and find someone who wants to roll the dice. It happens.

There is nothing wrong going in a little ill prepared. I'm doing my research, learning, watching videos about this, reading about this. You see it as a recipe for disaster. I see it as jumping in and making shit happen.

Yes Nolan did make his first film for $8,000 and has made a hell of a career out of it. I can't argue with that. But I am sure he tried to get as high of a budget for that film that he could. But that was all that he could muster. If anything I'll say I shouldn't be so hard pressed on the budget and being willing and able to make it for a lot cheaper if I have to. But that's only if I have to.

I am not into Tony Robbins. But I am into the the laws of attraction and visualization. It's already worked in my life as far as getting jobs (acting and not acting) and even getting my last short done.

I am not saying that I am going to sit here and wait for it to happen. I am taking action and everyday getting closer to making this film happen. But having any limitations will be the death of it.

At the end of the day I will go for the goal amount. And in the end if I get only $100,000 then I will find a way to make a great film with that.

I just don't want to work with ultra low budgets. It is extremely stressful. The budget will allow us to make this film comfortably, get some bigger names attached, take the time we need without worrying about people flaking due to not having their usual rate (I had to wait nearly two months to do my last short due to DPs going to work on projects with bigger budgets).

It's just not fun and I haven't found anyone that I can trust.

yeah it is stressful i'm doing it now. but thats what it takes when you are no one. I mean you live in LA you could be asking people with success but you dont want real answers . You want the easy way out

See Sfoster has it right haha.

Moon: It sounds like you have found some good people to work with. I kinda had a bad experience doing my short. The Dp that I got was a pain in the ass. Everyone (mostly the DP, AC, and Grip) were so concerned with money. I am pretty sure that one of my actresses would not have flaked out on me on the first day if I was paying her $200 a day instead of a fraction of the cost. I am not sure where you live, but from what I can tell from L.A is that people are so motivated by money here instead of doing it for the art.

Gorilla: I wanted to have a trailer made. But my editor jipped (another issue with low budget films if I was able to pay him $100 an hour I am sure that he wouldn't have done that). I cannot have my short viewable on public sites as that will disqualify me from TriBeCa and certain festivals. The response that I've gotten from the people who have seen it has been positive though. I am very proud of it.

David: You are acting like I can up to Harvey Weinstein and pick his brain. It isn't that easy. People with a lot of success are not that accessible and will not talk to you if they feel that you are not on their level. Yeah I have IMDB pro and can (and have and ) contact big, successful people. But you very rarely get through to them.

I don't know what you mean by wanting the easy way out though. There is nothing easy about this.

The only thing I'm going to add (at least for now...) is that in my experience the stress-inducing issues only grow and evolve, they never go away.

I've completed 2 features - each had a budget under $1 million. I've learned to be very careful when I hire cast and crew, to be sure that there is compatibility and reliability as well as talent - but even then, there can be surprises.

I WILL add that you need to find a way to have a trailer. I don't know what that way will be, but you're going to have to figure it out because that's the a necessity to promote your short.

David: How do you know that I haven't earned it? After my last short film I looked of the quality and reflected back at the job I did and said to myself "I am ready". I know what I would do with a $2.5 million budget. I know I could make it look like a $50 million film (my short cost only $1,000 but you wouldn't even know it).

I was just trying to get ideas from everywhere. I am attending a few meetups about getting your film financed in L.A, I actually don't know too many producers out here as I have self financed my shorts. But I guess it was a bad idea to come on here.
It was. You've embarassed yourself thinking your worth millions because you made a pos short film too dumb. Not worth antime. Earning it means yrs of real successes and failures. Doyy

Mles: I am regardless of the budget I end up with going to be making sure that I get people that I really compatible with and that I can trust that is for sure.

I practically begged the editor to do a trailer. But he said "I don't have time". I am kinda shit out of luck on that one.

Morrs: Thanks for the site, I just listened to one of those podcasts. Good stuff.

David: Okay now you are trolling because what you said has no basis. At least with Audio it appeared on his end that he was saying something honestly (just very negative). You are just straight up trolling now.

But I said it was a mistake to come on here because whenever you seem enthusiastic about something or have high ambitions, people try to beat you down in their own way. Maybe it's just an American thing. But it's just me being myself.

Last edited:
I watched this interview that Olivia Wilde did promoting meadowland. She co produced that one too. It was interesting for her to talk about getting funding for that film. She was that she was surprised with the amount of pessimism that she got. That was interesting to hear seeing as she is a big actress. But I guess that comes on all levels.

But it was cool to see how involved she was in making that film. She helped bring on funding and cast members (great cast). I am going to have to find an actress like that who can really help me.

Last edited:
regardless of the budget I end up with going to be making sure that I get people that I really compatible with and that I can trust that is for sure.

One thing that is bugging me. You're making this out to sound like some sort of revelation.... Like you've found the secret to good film making. Most of us call it common sense.

Keep listening to those pod casts, consider reading/listening to more of her and seriously consider becoming a subscriber. You really need it. Put some serious thought to doing a few of their courses. A producers incubator if they're still running it etc. It'll help open up your eyes to the reality of film finance and distribution and hopefully start pointing you in the right direction to being ready for financing.

Olivia Wilde / I am going to have to find an actress like that who can really help me.

If you can get someone like that who can help you gain financing, that's a great idea. A real step in the right direction. Do it. Your best idea yet.

You believe in dreaming big and trusting you can do it, but at the same time you trust almost nobody. I'm not saying you should be gullable, but this could be blocking you to a certain degree.

I know you can't show your short yet.
I just said that as long as you can't show it, you can't really show potential investors what you are capable of. And thus it will be less easy to get the funding you need now, but it might get easier when you have it.

If I would be an investor, I'd have a sort of checklist:
- is the idea any good?
- is this a dreamer? (In other words: can he/she deliver what is said, or did that prson never finish a minite of video?)
- is the previous work any good/promising?
- does he/she know how to handle money? Is there a solid foundation for the budget?
- is the script worth it?

So if someone has an incredible idea, but no experience at all to show for, I'd be weary of investing.
That's why I said it will be tough without your best work to show. You really need a trailer. You'll need it for the festivals as well.

Having said that: you can still do the ground work: make contacts, get info, etcetera.
You now maybe have time to get popular enough to do some crowdfunding ;)

PS.
Maybe someone on IT would like to help you out with cutting a trailer?
I don't have the time for it (at least not in 2015).

Last edited:
At least with Audio it appeared on his end that he was saying something honestly (just very negative).

I want to make it clear to anyone else reading this thread that I was NOT being negative (or very negative). I have stated a few basic facts about how the industry works. Facts are facts, they are neither positive nor negative, only how we choose to view them is!

In this particular case, it appears the OP is ignorant of the facts and/or misrepresenting them, in order to support his assumptions and personal desires. He therefore views facts which contradict those misrepresentations/assumptions and increase the difficulty of fulfilling his desires as being "very negative" or of being the product of someone who is!

G

Sweetie: No that is not common sense at all. That is why any sports organizations, big businesses, and etc fire people all the time. A lot of the time people hire other people just due to their skills and in this case equipment. You don't have to get along to get something done. It's just ideal as life is too short to dread going to work ya know.

Walter: I can't show my short publicly like on this site, youtube, facebook and etc. I have shown it to managers, agents, and a few investors.

I have a buddy of mine who might be able to do me a solid and cut a trailer for me. I'll have to get in contact with him.

Audio: Any way that you slice your responses had a very negative condescending tone to them.

Mles: I am regardless of the budget I end up with going to be making sure that I get people that I really compatible with and that I can trust that is for sure.

I practically begged the editor to do a trailer. But he said "I don't have time". I am kinda shit out of luck on that one.

Morrs: Thanks for the site, I just listened to one of those podcasts. Good stuff.

David: Okay now you are trolling because what you said has no basis. At least with Audio it appeared on his end that he was saying something honestly (just very negative). You are just straight up trolling now.

But I said it was a mistake to come on here because whenever you seem enthusiastic about something or have high ambitions, people try to beat you down in their own way. Maybe it's just an American thing. But it's just me being myself.

well it goes to show you how honest i'm being because i'm canadian. you are really out of your depth.

Forget the trailer, that's not important. No investor, especially if they are shelling out $500,000 dollars, cares about a trailer, they are going to want to see the whole short film. Upload it to Vimeo on a private password protected link (if you haven't already).

On the other hand, if you're trying to promote your short a film to the public to generate buzz, just make a teaser... grab some of the most striking imagery and make a 45 second video with no dialogue or sound, just a song or part of the score from your film. You don't have to be an experienced editor to do that yourself.

Post the teaser on a nicely made simple website, with some info about the short. Make it looks professional and appealing. Send the website, along with your password protected link to EXPERIENCED PRODUCERS WHO HAVE PRODUCED SUCCESSFUL INDIE FILMS, target producers who have had 1 film at Sundance or SXSW. Any more than 1 film and they are probably too busy/successful for you at this point in your career.

Once you land a great producer, let him or her plan your financing strategy. Until then, stay off the forums until you can learn to take criticism at face value and not personally.

Gorilla: I wanted to have a trailer made. But my editor jipped (another issue with low budget films if I was able to pay him $100 an hour I am sure that he wouldn't have done that). I cannot have my short viewable on public sites as that will disqualify me from TriBeCa and certain festivals. The response that I've gotten from the people who have seen it has been positive though. I am very proud of it.

Then put the previous short on.

David: That doesn't even make any sense.

Moon: If my buddy can't come through with a trailer that could work.

And there has been no criticism. Just people trying to knock me into their own reality. If there was criticism I would listen to it critically. But I've just seen limiting beliefs (like only targeting producers with one film that got into a big festival. Makes sense, but you never know who might like what you do).

Gorilla: My last short actually just played at the Visonara film festival in Italty and got into a few others. I actually got it on a site (I hardly make money off of it though), so I am pretty sure that I can't share it for free. But when I clear these festivals with my last short I'll probably post both. To be perfectly honest I don't really like showing my films around for free unless I really feel like I am going to get something out of it (money, constructive criticism, exposure, etc).

Last edited:
I am not sure where you live, but from what I can tell from L.A is that people are so motivated by money here instead of doing it for the art.
This is not my experience at all. I live and work in Los Angeles and I have
found that many people are willing to work for very low pay (and even for
no pay) for the right person on the right project. You've been in the
business for three years. Perhaps you haven't built a reputation as someone
willing to help others. You clearly haven't had the time to build large group
of connections. I help on a LOT of projects for no pay and for very low pay.
Those people are then willing to help me. But then I've been in the business
for a bit longer than 2012.

But I said it was a mistake to come on here because whenever you seem enthusiastic about something or have high ambitions, people try to beat you down in their own way.
I think you're right. This forum is not a "you can do it!" type of place where
people show unlimited enthusiasm. People who are regulars here tend to
lean to realism based on their experience. YOU see that as negative. Yes,
there are a few very negative people here but a lot of the conversation here
isn't negative nor intended to beat you down. Yes, it's not enthusiastically
positive - that's what friends and family are for - but it's realistic.

I noticed that you ignored those who said something positive in order to
engage with those you feel are being negative.

I'm sorry you feel it was a mistake to come on here. I hope you find a forum
more suited to your needs.

Yeah I know a lot of people who spent their last dime or remortgaged their house to shoot a movie.

LA is expensive. Indie movie LOSE money -- LOTS of money. So making decent money working on a movie is like trying to squeeze blood out of a rock.

How to get funding for a movie? Find a really stupid person with money. Smart investors are not going to invest in an indie film. That's the sobering reality.

David: That doesn't even make any sense.

Moon: If my buddy can't come through with a trailer that could work.

And there has been no criticism. Just people trying to knock me into their own reality. If there was criticism I would listen to it critically. But I've just seen limiting beliefs (like only targeting producers with one film that got into a big festival. Makes sense, but you never know who might like what you do).

Gorilla: My last short actually just played at the Visonara film festival in Italty and got into a few others. I actually got it on a site (I hardly make money off of it though), so I am pretty sure that I can't share it for free. But when I clear these festivals with my last short I'll probably post both. To be perfectly honest I don't really like showing my films around for free unless I really feel like I am going to get something out of it (money, constructive criticism, exposure, etc).

here's some reality buddy. i thought you were talking a bout a real film. are you serious ?? a short. millions for a short . I'm making a real film for 40000. You are ridiculous. my reality is obviously being capable . you are deluded. no ones giving a cent for a short. WOWOWOWO

I can't believe that negative talk on this forum. I know filmmaking is hard. But we got to stay positive and supportive. Too many limiting beliefs.

I haven't really been following this thread, but this forum has been a very encouraging experience for me. Without the encouragement of Directorik, Mussonman, Sweetie, and so many others, I would not have been able to keep plugging away at my dream.

If you want only flattery, without a sense of the difficulties ahead, then, yes, you are getting a lot of negativity. But do you want to hear only good things and not the truth?

regardless of the budget I end up with going to be making sure that I get people that I really compatible with and that I can trust that is for sure.

One thing that is bugging me. You're making this out to sound like some sort of revelation.... Like you've found the secret to good film making. Most of us call it common sense.

No that is not common sense at all. That is why any sports organizations, big businesses, and etc fire people all the time. A lot of the time people hire other people just due to their skills and in this case equipment. You don't have to get along to get something done. It's just ideal as life is too short to dread going to work ya know.

So to clarify, you're saying that it's not common sense to use people who are compatible with you and those who are trustworthy? Does that mean that you're saying it's common sense to use people who are incompatible and untrustworthy? That makes no sense to me.

To me, the position you're taking sounds more like poor leadership. Might be worth considering working on those skills.

Organizations may fire people who they find out are incompatible. I've never come across an organization who actively look for incompatible and untrustworthy people.

Find a really stupid person with money.

aka. Dumb money.

Back