Name Actors - How much $?

Hello,
I'm doing post production on my no-budget feature now. I have a unique aspect of the plot - the story opens in the year 2000 and then the rest of the story take place in 2010 with one flashback. This means I can ad a scene with a Name Actor filmed at a different time and place than the rest of the story.

Does anyone know about how much money is needed to put a lower level B-movie actor in your film? I'm looking to get someone who can help us get at least some type of distribution. (Even if we don't get our money back) Anyone done this before?
Thank you in advance,
Joe

No budget won't get you a B lister. You might...might be able to get a D lister for a limited amount. I have a friend in casting that has convinced Soap stars....and recognizable characters from seinfeld to work for $100 SAG ULB. But they are union actors and the part usually has to be fun well written and even produced at top quality.

I have done this and I know each actor will have their own quote.
The quote can range from $1,500 per day to well over $10,000. The
final quote will depend on many different factors so a usable
ballpark figure isn’t really possible.

A name that can actually help with distribution is going to be
closer to the ten large range. The agent will know this is why
you are using their client and charge accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with attempting to talk an actor to do your film for nothing. Likely the one you'll get is sliding off the B-list. If you're a low budget (say under $50,000) and nobody else is SAG, just get him to sign your release and by gosh, get him on tape ASAP!!!

Any issues with SAG will NOT be your problem. You have a valid contract. Any "problems" will be between the actor and SAG, not you.

The SAG may huff and puff (and so will certain members here), but the fact of the matter is that they can't stop you from showing/selling your film. When they discover your budget, they'll walk away -- yes siree, no money to be had here and go bother other film productions having a budget over $500K.

Good luck!

I know someone who got one of the featured stars from the Star Wars series for FREE. I don't want to mention the name, but easily, this was one of the top 4 stars from the whole franchise.

I have done this and I know each actor will have their own quote.
The quote can range from $1,500 per day to well over $10,000.
When actors fall out of favor they REALLY fall from grace. I've heard of actors making much less than that. You also don't want to over pay for some actor who doesn't have any real selling power. Reality TV "stars" for example have no box office / DVD selling power. What they think they're worth and what they're really worth can be vastly different. I know of an actor who still insists that he's a triple SAG scale pay value actor. He hasn't worked on anything major in like over 10 years.

When actors fall out of favor they REALLY fall from grace. I've heard of actors making much less than that. You also don't want to over pay for some actor who doesn't have any real selling power. Reality TV "stars" for example have no box office / DVD selling power. What they think they're worth and what they're really worth can be vastly different. I know of an actor who still insists that he's a triple SAG scale pay value actor. He hasn't worked on anything major in like over 10 years.

Must be Eddie Murphy....

I'm looking to get someone who can help us get at least some type of distribution. (Even if we don't get our money back)

Theater owners won't book from distributors lame films, star or not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Hh6cHJBMW5aQkZSMzZYR2V3VUxQVUE&hl=en_US#gid=0
Check column F with column AB.

IMHO, it ain't worth it to spend money on off-label actors for the purpose of landing a distributor unless the story's premise (not even the execution) is pretty darn titillating.
http://rookery2.worth1000.com/storagev12/727500/727679_d0b0_625x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Theater owners? Humm.. wasn't even thinking about theatrical distribution. There's a pretty slim chance of that these days. 8-)

Theater owners won't book from distributors lame films, star or not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Hh6cHJBMW5aQkZSMzZYR2V3VUxQVUE&hl=en_US#gid=0
Check column F with column AB.

IMHO, it ain't worth it to spend money on off-label actors for the purpose of landing a distributor unless the story's premise (not even the execution) is pretty darn titillating.
http://rookery2.worth1000.com/storagev12/727500/727679_d0b0_625x1000.jpg

Factors to consider:

1. What type of distribution are you looking for? Cinema? TV? DVD? VOD?

2. Your budget range to pay an actor?

3. The actor themselves?

4. The relationship between the actor and the producer can also make a better deal than book value.

5. The Script?

6, Who else is in the production?

7. Conceptual Art and Storyboards? Actors can be more drawn to a production if they can envision themselves in the story with good storyboards and conceptal art.

8, Track record of the producer?

9. Can the actor fit you into their schedule?

10. Genre?

THANKS. Those are EXCELLENT questions to consider! :)

Factors to consider:

1. What type of distribution are you looking for? Cinema? TV? DVD? VOD?

2. Your budget range to pay an actor?

3. The actor themselves?

4. The relationship between the actor and the producer can also make a better deal than book value.

5. The Script?

6, Who else is in the production?

7. Conceptual Art and Storyboards? Actors can be more drawn to a production if they can envision themselves in the story with good storyboards and conceptal art.

8, Track record of the producer?

9. Can the actor fit you into their schedule?

10. Genre?

I'm thinking of doing a series of short films, to build up my experience, and I've been hoping to get some name actor - B list, if not A list - for each one. But I guess $10 K a day would be out of my range.

My $10,000 figure was for a name actor who will interest
distributors - the OP's original criteria. Getting a working
actor for a short won't cost nearly that much. Not A-list
and maybe not even B, but there are many recognizable
actors who will work for scale.

Back