It's Time Again... MidKnightly 2013!

tumblr_inline_mhb79gcEcX1qz4rgp.gif

Whoa, cool! :D

Again, the point of the competition is to get folks to make something.

Knightly, thanks for providing the impetus to create these films. There's nothing like having a deadline to get the wheels turning and the cameras rolling.

More cowbell indeed. :yes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the great feedback, Knightly! I agree completely with the issues you pointed out. I admit, I spent most of my time on the cinematography and set design, and very little on the story. And indeed, I got carried away and abused the audio effects.

Really appreciate your critique. Very helpful.

Why wait a whole year? Make a short for November! :yes:

Well, I did plan on finishing off the found footage that I started shooting on Halloween. But if somebody would like to run a competition every month, I'd do my best to join in. In fact, Wheatgrinder used to run monthly competitions. They seemed to go quite well for the first few months. Might be worth another go.

That would be great. April Fool's Day

One band I was in many, many moons ago, was a notorious party band; our motto was "Any excuse for a party!" We bought a calendar (this is in the mid 1980's - no internet) that had every imaginable holiday, and many you could not imagine. So, ostensibly, every day was a holiday and an excuse for a party. For instance, today, November 3, is Cliché' Day. March 12 is Girl Scout Day, "so find a Girl Scout and check out her cookies."

Sorry for rambling.......

One band I was in many, many moons ago, was a notorious party band; our motto was "Any excuse for a party!" We bought a calendar (this is in the mid 1980's - no internet) that had every imaginable holiday, and many you could not imagine. So, ostensibly, every day was a holiday and an excuse for a party. For instance, today, November 3, is Cliché' Day. March 12 is Girl Scout Day, "so find a Girl Scout and check out her cookies."

Sorry for rambling.......

No problem Alcove! It's very interesting listening to your stories. Very interesting.

Fine then, with the changing of the seasons being such a huge difference over the next month as we rapidly go from summer temperatures to winter ones, grass to glare ice and rain to sleet to snow… the theme for november is CHANGES.

Dig in everybody.

Knightly, you beat me to it! Was going to add/suggest something along those lines.

Since we're approaching the holiday season, people are giving thanks and getting together with family and friends...

make a short film that is:

PG rated / family friendly (something you'd feel OK showing your grandparents or nieces)
keep it under 10:00 minutes, although shorter is better (this includes titles and credits, so save them all for the end?)
try to include a diverse cast: age, gender, and/or ethnicity
deadline November 28th (Thanksgiving) noon.
no posting or screening your film until then :)
no formal judging or prizes; just join in to stay busy and make something you can be proud of
** or per Alcove's suggestion, maybe call it the "November Premiere Member Challenge" ??

I'm aware not every member celebrates USA's Thanksgiving holiday, so this isn't a Thanksgiving challenge per se, but it is far enough away (3+ weeks) so it seemed like a fitting deadline.

Just riffing here... :rolleyes:

What say ye? We gonna do this again?

I'd like to think I can pop off a short by the end of the month, but if not, I'm down for helping out to mobilize the IT troops.

Haven't seen Knightly on here much lately. What does Dear Leader think?

I could probably knock something very brief up...

Hopefully a few others might get involved if we keep this bumped to the top.

Back