Is this helpful in marketing or fund raising?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOYHRgobEro

This is the extended version of our artistic commentary for the NYTVF. Their version is edited down to one minute. Besides throwing this on a DVD for the cast with the production, do you think this may be useful for crowd funding and to show investors?

Here is the edited down version for the festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZy_18BGC1g

Last edited:
This has a happy ending.

The 22 minute version of the production is sound scored very professionally by a local composer. I'm working to the wire to get the whole package together to hand in by the deadline of this Friday.

The sound score reminds me in some ways of the music in SyFy's Battlestar Galactica. Keep your fingers crossed it wins something at the NYTVF.

Okay, so you've mis-used these words in other threads, too. Great. Not sure what that proves.

There are sound effects, and those are not considered part of the score. Then, your composer can use music in ways that it functions more like a sound effect than regular music, but that is still considered part of the score. And finally, there is just regular ol' music, and that is called the score. Seriously, I don't know what you mean by "sound score".

Okay. Those are two separate things. The musical side is called "score", and the non-musical side is called "sound effects". I'm not making fun of you, dude, you don't need to get defensive. I even apologized for being a nerdy nit-picker. I'm only letting you know that you're making up compound words that aren't really used.

Holy Hell. Not once, never ever, have I seen you admit that you made even the slightest gaffe. You've never thanked anybody for correcting you. You ask questions, and then provide the answers, all the while ignoring the people who are trying to help you (unless they happen to agree with your narrow, pre-approved answers).

Something like using the wrong word is the most insignificant minutia that it really doesn't matter. I casually mention that you're wording things in a weird way, but instead of you spending 30-seconds on google to verify the validity of my clarification, we have to have this ridiculous conversation? WTF?!

Go look on YouTube at the quality of VFX that 16 year old kids are putting out. If you offered them a couple of hundred bucks to do the VFX work on your film, it'd look so much better than it does now. But you're prizing 'experience' way too highly and that's why you've run out of money and have a film that could've looked much more polished.

Might be the best advice I've ever seen anyone give you. Everyone I know in the production world picks reel over experience. You're just starting out, have yet to hit it big, right? Give someone the same opportunity, there are young guys out their dying for footage to practice with who would give you a weeks worth of FX work for $200.

EDIT:
The same goes for every other area of production and post. There are camera ops out there who want to be a DP and will do a better job than what you've gotten for much less money, there are sound designers out there starting their career who will do a good job for much less than an "experienced" person. Granted, experience is nice, but when budget is an issue you can save money and do a good deed by throwing a bone to a newbie.

Last edited:
That's something to consider for the next production, Paul and Nick. The 22 minute production is a wrap.

I am learning new and better techniques as I go along. And, that has value too. CF forgets he's the one who quoted Batman, "Why do people fall? To pick themselves up."

My effects are getting better with trial, error, and practice.

There are a lot of all-in-one-wonders out there who want to do everything. They are more critical than CF, since they seem to want to push everyone else out to take over a production. I have to make too many choices all too often all alone. So, it is what it as the chips fall.

NYTVF has 5 screening copies of the 22 minute version. Let's see where it goes from here.

I am learning new and better techniques as I go along. And, that has value too. CF forgets he's the one who quoted Batman, "Why do people fall? To pick themselves up."

My effects are getting better with trial, error, and practice.

There are a lot of all-in-one-wonders out there who want to do everything. They are more critical than CF, since they seem to want to push everyone else out to take over a production. I have to make too many choices all too often all alone. So, it is what it as the chips fall.

What?! I honestly don't know what you're saying. All I did was let you know that you were using a couple terms incorrectly. I'm putting you on H44 status.

I am responding to more than one party here. I thought that was obvious.

CF, life is too short to nitpick. You're better off sitting back and enjoying the ride instead. As David Caridine said in Kung Fu - The Legend Continues, "Learning comes from the journey and not the destination."

A dramatic interpretation of the conversation we just had --

911 Operator: 911 dispatch, state your emergency.

Caller: I'm need a police doctor.

911 Operator: Wait, do you want a police officer, or a doctor? Or, both?

Caller: Why are you being so critical of me?

911 Operator: I'm not being critical. I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

Caller: Life's too short to nit-pick.

And, what if they do both?

I met the composer on Thursday and she pointed out where she added in sound effects as well as music into the production. My composer did do both, as do quite a few of the digital composers with a keen ear for sound. And, she did a whole mix of all the sound to boot.

So, where does your argument stand now?

So, where does your argument stand now?

His argument still stands - your composer did the score, and the sound design. That still doesn't change it to a 'sound score' - the combination of the score, dialogue and sound effects is the soundtrack. Nobody uses the term 'sound score', and when you use made-up terms like that it only serves to confuse the discussion.

Last edited:
And, what if they do both?

Than you order both the police officer and a doctor.
When the police officer arrives first he can maybe provide first aid. :P

If someone did colorgrading and soundmixing, it doesn't mean you can say he/she did the soundgrade or colormix or grademix or colorsound or soundcolor.
It all get's Babylonian this way. (And synesthetic as well. :P)
"I know what I mean" is not a valid argument in language when you invent your own words.
In professional slang there are fixed defenitions to speed up communication. (And this is what CF tries to tell you.)

BTW, this is a really funny discussion: Brittisch Comedy style confusion :lol:
--

Oh: good to hear the film is finished!

Whatever! It is life the problem I have with the end credits coming up with the right combination for all the hats I wear in a small production.

I looked at it again last night and think of more stuff I could've done with it. But, considering the time constraints. I am happy with the results. It is one of my.better efforts.

Back