Impromptu horror film competition...

As a way to inspire folks who are not currently producing any projects to do so. I'm announcing a horror film competition for Halloween 2011.

I'll watch them and comment on them and judge them based on 4 categories (if others want to help judge, drop me a PM):

Technical competence - Picture (up to 5 points)
Technical competence - Audio (up to 5 points)
Artistic competence - Creepiness (up to 5 points)
Artistic competence - Story (up to 10 points)

Highest combined points wins bragging rights, respect and woohoos.

Let the smack talk begin!

(this is just me, not a directly Indietalk sanctioned competition - it would be much more cohesive if it were)...

and... ACTION!

< 10 minutes (I'll generally watch each 4-5 times looking for each of the categories by themselves, so each entry will be just shy of an hour of judging time.

For a competition conceived and posted in less than two minutes, this sure has drawn some major attention. We are graced on the judging panel by one of the masters of indie horror cinema. Producer of such terrifying films as "Finger"...

John@Bophe

(You have to imagine the echo after the name, it's hard to replicate in text).

For a competition conceived and posted in less than two minutes, this sure has drawn some major attention. We are graced on the judging panel by one of the masters of indie horror cinema. Producer of such terrifying films as "Finger"...

John@Bophe

(You have to imagine the echo after the name, it's hard to replicate in text).

:lol:

Thanks, I think.

@ Flicker: Perhaps that can be the title of the competition ;) The 2011 MidKnightly Horror Film Competition.

@ JB: I had envisioned that Mike hanging from the ceiling and giving that boxing ring shout out :) -- and I still find "Finger" a really freaky and well told story. Wrong, but well told.

@ Flicker: Perhaps that can be the title of the competition The 2011 MidKnightly Horror Film Competition.

Sure man, run with it! Hopefully I will have time to whip something up. But if not, I'll be looking forward to see who does. :pop:

You rock, Knightly. Wish I was prepared to participate. I hope it goes well. Wouldn't be so bad if it became a Halloween tradition, either? I'm glad you made the rule to link everyone to Youtube or wherever so that we all can see. :)

Impromptu suggestion, can I do the music?
For my entry?
If we had... say... two weeks notice, then suuuurrrre!

But with less than a week A) I'd be surprised if I can pull something off at all since my Fri, Sat, & Sun are blocked (and today ain't lookin' too good neither), and B) with such short notice it'd likely be faster to pull some public domain generic loop off the internet at the last gasping second.

But for next year - it's a date! ;) :yes:

At the screenwriting site I also attend there's a site sanctioned/hosted 8 - 12pg horror script one week challenge every OCT.
We all know it's coming.
Everyone gets all giddy when the announcement date & time are given.
The theme and constraints are announced and people ruminate for the first three or four days, some wise-a$$es enter a couple of half baked entries in the first day or two, pisstakes are (usually) not accepted and published.
Most everyone starts banging out something the day before or of the deadline.
Sometimes they begin writing hours before the deadline.
Then we all spend a week or two reading and critiquing each other's screenplays blind, without knowing the author, vote on best short screenplay, then reveal authors and answer compliments, questions, remarks, and grievances.

We're all pretty sick of reading by then.
38 entries this year = >350 pages of dubiously formatted spec screenplays + umpteen hundred comments. Uggh!

I think the (unsanctioned) MidKnightly Horror Short Competition could be a good thing if constructed with appropriate guidelines.
Unannounced and unplanned, two weeks would have been nice/optimal.
One week if planned ahead with theme and constraints.
One week unannounced but wide open w/o theme or constraints is viable and what we have here.
Even 48film competitions gear up ahead of time to allocate talent, time and resources.
This isn't quite that, but... approaching similar.

I might try it.
Miiiight.
I have several other things going on already.

Last edited:
I'm at uni at the moment so:

a.) No time.
b.) No camera (or, more appropriately, no memory card)
c.) No editing software.

But I'll see if there's something I can do. Where there's a will there's a way, right?

The goal wasn't to have a big structured competition, just to give folks who weren't currently working on something a reason to do so -- even if it is just a short little sketch type of thing. Just a reason to make something.

even if it is just a short little sketch type of thing.

That's what I like about these IndieTalk challenges, I wasn't thinking about making a short clip until (Mid)knightly planted the seed. Putting it together in time is something else entirely, but even if I don't make the deadline I might just do it anyways and post at some point. :) It's all good.

Back