I'm 17 and just wrapped my first feature

Dude, I have tried to ignore you, explain my take with you and defended myself from you.

He said this, "If you go back through the thread, you'll see a pattern where he doesn't take criticism negatively." The I said Thank You!

But then you say this. "I think he meant to say, "you'll see a pattern where he doesn't take negative criticism." Otherwise, the next thing he says, "I think he is just looking for yes men," would make no sense." If this doesn't make my point I don't know what does.

Quit harassing me please.

The fact is, this young man has created a feature. Taking age into account or not, you have to admit he had to be resourceful and creative to do this with what he had.

You're right. It's an accomplishment to make a feature film. I've congratulated him on this feat already in the thread.

Criticism should be constructive and well received.

In an ideal world, this is true though it's not quite that simple. I personally prefer brutally honest. I get enough "I love this" or "I love that" from local actors who are more concerned with not pissing a director off.

For example: A local director asked if he could show my first film at some showing. I hadn't seen the film in near on a year and remembered I wasn't really happy with the outcome but I agreed anyway. I remember watching it at the showing thinking, "This might not make sense to people who haven't read the script". Most of the actors were saying, "Loved it" etc. etc. One said, "I didn't like it. I didn't get it. It didn't make sense to me." I agree with her opinion and know I can trust her to give honest feedback.

As for the well received. Sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in. Sometimes it takes a while for a person to get to the point where the information even makes sense. It's hard to be graceful when that happens. I've had feedback I didn't understand until a while later.

I believe, he's talented, ***for a 17 year old***.

Yeah ok, that's fine. I know many people who are his age and younger that have boatloads more talent than him. It's a competitive industry and its worldwide and the truth is the audience doesn't care if you're 17 or 50. Your product speaks for itself.

Which is the reason he feels the need to pull the "I'm 17" card, over and over again.

He's pulling the 17 year old card as someone told him it was a good idea and he latched on to like like a dog to a bone. Read back through the thread and you'll see where it happened. He just doesn't see how the rest of the world sees it. It's his choice.

Believe me, I DID go easy on him.

I know. As did I.

SkyCopeland

I think Sky screwed up and assumed you asked for feedback. It's unlike him to do what he did to start with. I don't think he knows the best way out of the hole... or he might not care. The world is a large place.

Big Cookie

Was that what you called your campaign or is this another campaign I should take a look at?

Last edited:
Dude, I have tried to ignore you, explain my take with you and defended myself from you.

He said this, "If you go back through the thread, you'll see a pattern where he doesn't take criticism negatively." The I said Thank You!

But then you say this. "I think he meant to say, "you'll see a pattern where he doesn't take negative criticism." Otherwise, the next thing he says, "I think he is just looking for yes men," would make no sense." If this doesn't make my point I don't know what does.

Quit harassing me please.

Not harrassing you. I gave you criticism initially, which was not meant to offend, and then backed it up with extremely positive criticism, in lieu of a more negative reply, which you were attempting to elicit from me. You actually owe me an apology if ANYONE owes someone an apology here.

I actually think at this point, you are just looking for a fight. I won't give it to you.

Good God! I am weak. I'm trying to ignore it but you guys just won't let up.
This reminds me of the girl that use to kick me everyday in 2nd grade. Turns out she had a crush on me.

I have been nice but if it keeps going I will make it personal. I will try to hurt your feelings like you have done to me and others.

Please just stop.

BIG COOKIE? Was that what you called your campaign or is this another campaign I should take a look at?

So, after SkyCopeland gave me his "advice," numerous times, including trashing every single effort I had made to raise the funds, I decided to dig around a little and do a little comparison analysis as us Software Engineers tend to do. On Kickstarter, to date, I have raised over $7,500 for my films... and SkyCopeland has raised, $10 to make a Big Cookie.

I wish I was kidding... https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1375547326/created

Good God! I am weak. I'm trying to ignore it but you guys just won't let up.
This reminds me of the girl that use to kick me everyday in 2nd grade. Turns out she had a crush on me.

I have been nice but if it keeps going I will make it personal. I will try to hurt your feelings like you have done to me and others.

Please just stop.

Dude, who's trying to hurt your feelings? Seriously? I made good comments about your film which you never thanked me for. Are you just reading negative into everything?

You never apologized for lashing out at me, yet you want me to apologize to SkyCopeland. I'm not getting your logic.

In regards to Sky, I only saw the one comment on the kickstarter thread. I understand there were others in private messages and that other thread, though it's hard to see the context. I try to see the best in people. I just don't always try very hard ;) (See I can try to diffuse some situations).

Just thought I'd remind you of ALL OF THE GOOD THINGS I'VE SAID, to illustrate how focused on the negative you are...

Listen, I understand that criticism sucks, and you hate receiving it, but I assure you, it only gets worse.

You did an okay job. It's definitely a good first work. I've seen footage and scenes that are much worse than this, from first time guys. I think my first work was "meh" personally.

The main thing is, KEEP AT IT.

It just occurred to me that I should probably tell you what I liked about the Teaser...

The kid with the Swastika, looks believable and seemed to have some potential for acting. I liked your shots, especially when the dude goes full BEAST mode and attacks the other kid. Great job there.

Also, the lighting appears to be nicely done. I didn't notice any harsh lighting, and/or overly lit shots.

As for audio, meh, at this level, it's to be expected it's not perfect, but it was better than most.

Okay, hope that works to let you know that I was actually impressed, but I may have not expressed that to you.

Sweetie, Got a pm and apparently this is normal for you.

Russo, I can get nasty and i know you are egging me on so For the fifth time leave me alone. Go away. See if i say anything negative you guys will just use it against me. Good gawd. Whose the adult and who's in High School?

In regards to Sky, I only saw the one comment on the kickstarter thread. I understand there were others in private messages and that other thread, though it's hard to see the context. I try to see the best in people. I just don't always try very hard ;) (See I can try to diffuse some situations).

Oh yeah, for sure. You're one of the few with a head on your shoulders who replied in that thread. Most everyone read everything on face value.

Let's try this again...

It just occurred to me that I should probably tell you what I liked about the Teaser...

The kid with the Swastika, looks believable and seemed to have some potential for acting. I liked your shots, especially when the dude goes full BEAST mode and attacks the other kid. Great job there.

Also, the lighting appears to be nicely done. I didn't notice any harsh lighting, and/or overly lit shots.

As for audio, meh, at this level, it's to be expected it's not perfect, but it was better than most.

Okay, hope that works to let you know that I was actually impressed, but I may have not expressed that to you.

Sweetie, Got a pm and apparently this is normal for you.

Russo, I can get nasty and i know you are egging me on so For the fifth time leave me alone. Go away. See if i say anything negative you guys will just use it against me. Good gawd. Whose the adult and who's in High School?

Hey kiddo, I swear I'm not trying to egg you on. You lashed out at me, and I took it pretty much in stride. You can't truly expect the nastiness you displayed to me earlier to have absolutely NO effect, can you?

All that aside, I don't think I've been nasty to you at all, especially considering your heavy handed reply from earlier.

theconnorwilliams, did you read this message? I'm thinking maybe you missed it.

You did an okay job. It's definitely a good first work. I've seen footage and scenes that are much worse than this, from first time guys. I think my first work was "meh" personally.

The main thing is, KEEP AT IT.

I was being encouraging. Not sure how you got to the point of hating me so quickly, from such little information, but as you can read, I'm not a bad person at all. This was from much earlier.

Back