I might have a job on another feature film, but...

Yep I got your ideas before. Thanks Walter. I just didn't know what to do with them to make a story with a beginning, and an conclusion. Unless it's suppose to be more of a random series of shots.

Ah!
Finally, a reaction on the content :)

I admit, those ideas are very short ideas without a elaborate building of story and character and without a 'shootout' in the end.
How do you think a 2 or 3 minutes short should start?
Maybe you are overcomplicating things.

The sad girl story can be seen as an exercise in atmosphere.
You just bump right into the story after one beautiful shot without any person in it. The music already starts, maybe even before the fade in (? just making it up as i type) to create the sad atmosphere. While she wonders around real sad (near the sea or a river) you can either show a flashback of a fight or just use audiofragments (just made that up as well) as if she is still hearing that angry voice saying terrible things to her.
As a conclusion you can let her jump in the river (sad ending), walk into the sea/river and let her dissappear (sad ending with a mild magical touch) or you let a passerby (is that a real word?) give her a napkin and tell her it will be alright (a hopeful end). And then show the title (you will have to make it up, depending on the ending, the location, story). You could look at it as if it's a long commercial without selling anything where the title is part of the payoff.
Remember, it has to be short, so there's no need for a complicated plot.
You just want to convey an emotion through action and beautiful shots. (And you want something nice and finished for your portfolio :P )

The rainbow-hunter story can be seen as an exercise in atmosphere, directing and storytelling/introducing a character in a short time span. It's partly storytelling without character and partly with: a great way to learn to think about how you can tell a story without a person in the shot.
It just starts with shots of a dark city waking up: the sky becomes lighter as the sun rises. Traffic starts. People go to do whatever they do. But the main character is different and that is what you tell with a voice-over and by showing he's not moving like the crowd, but does his own thing.
The end of the short, is not really the end of the 'story'. It's more like finishing the introduction as if it's a very short portrait/documentary. You can even end with a short of him gazing around from a hill and the voice over saying: "He's the rainbow hunter." And then show the title.
(Almost like the first part of a movie trailer. After this part the action is shown, but that's not needed here.)

The story about the person with both an unexpected deadline and a date he shouldn't be late for is really a training in making a short story with a person in 'conflict'.
To begin you just start with him working at his office/desk. A co-worker can ask for his plans for that evening (just curious or asking him to join the rest to a bar or something), so the main can say he has a date and wants to o home quickly.
Right after that he gets a load of extra work.
The rest is up to you: will he be in time on his date and how does he try.
The end could be him arriving just in time, but al messed up. Or arriving just too late. Or he's still working when his date walks in angry at him or at his boss. You choose.
Just keep it simple with a few scenes:
- opening: introducing main character, his plan for the night and his problem (too much work to do)
- 2 or 3 short scenes of his struggle (maybe even a violent fantasy of him beating his boss and walking out real cool)
- ending
Again: keep the story simple and straightforward with some humor and absurdity people can relate to.
Everybody knows the feeling of having fun plans and someone making them (almost) impossible.

So.
Take your pick and tell me what problem you ran into with the story :)

PS.
A random serie of shots?
You can't tell a story with that...

Last edited:
I think he should make a vine

Here's a normal person trying to make a movie
::shows a video camera and a slate board::

Here's H44 trying to make a movie
::shows a guy posting away on a message forum::

Well the script I wanted to shoot this fall was only a 2 page short film. I think that's the reason why a lot of actors did not want to do it. It was just too short and maybe they expected something with more of a story or something longer. I can't do the comic book movie, as the artist is just too busy right now.

A couple of actors who live in Vancouver said they wanted to do a trailer of a feature I wrote and showed them. I thought about it but it would be a lot of money, locations, and I would need like 30 actors. I can do it as long as more actors are on board, and I just might spend the money and go there, if they are. They would have to do like a 20 day in a row shoot or something though, and all the locations will have to be available, since I cannot stay that long. Might be a plan.

I am suppose to talk with them again soon. I can pull out the camera and shoot some shots. I got some static shots of downtown and I can throw them together, but they are only static.

Last edited:
Well the script I wanted to shoot this fall was only a 2 page short film. I think that's the reason why a lot of actors did not want to do it. It was just too short and maybe they expected something with more of a story or something longer. I can't do the comic book movie, as the artist is just too busy right now.

A couple of actors who live in Vancouver said they wanted to do a trailer of a feature I wrote and showed them. I thought about it but it would be a lot of money, locations, and I would need like 30 actors. I can do it as long as more actors are on board, and I just might spend the money and go there, if they are. They would have to do like a 20 day in a row shoot or something though, and all the locations will have to be available, since I cannot stay that long. Might be a plan.

I am suppose to talk with them again soon. I can pull out the camera and shoot some shots. I got some static shots of downtown and I can throw them together, but they are only static.

20 days and 30 actors for a trailer?
That's a lot of work for 1 minute of video...

Look, throwing some shots together IS random, unless you have an idea what you want to tell/show.
Go watch Koyaanisquatsi.

Your 2 page script is probably not interesting enough. It's not the length, it's the story or concept that get people on board.
A few years ago I made a fake movie trailer with an easter egg, lightsabers, a female superhero without real powers and a script full of holes. Within 3 weeks I gathered a cast and crew of 15 people, because they also thought (just like me) it would be fun. I admit a few of them I already knew and with some of them I worked before.
And of course, I had a portfolio already, showing them I can at least finish something :P

Why don't you try to make the rainbow-hunter script more complete (or should I write it?) and see if one of those actors would like it.
Or try to find an (wannabe?) actress for the sad girl story.

I keep telling you, do something like this - no cast, no crew, teeny-tiny budget, no locations to secure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTEw_IDh18

Nice one Alcove Audio.

Another idea for H44 is to simply grab some great vid of local locations. Get practice with your camera, len/s, tripod (you do have one now right?), exposure triangle etc. Hell, I'd even capture some audio just for the heck of it.

Then take it into your editing suite, edit, color etc and upload it for us to see.

Nice and simple (like your suggestion too) and it gives him experience.

Just do it H44. And stay off this forum for a bit - it takes up too much of your time.

Lots of great advice from others on this thread too.

Harmonica44 - Please do us all a favor and stop talking about what you want to do if only.... and just DO SOMETHING. Seriously, for the love of God, I've never witnessed such a procrastinator.

The following is basically what EVERYONE on this thread is telling you to do!!!

I shot these 2 years ago when I bought a camera. I went out for a couple hours and just shot shit. It's not hard to do but by reading your posts you make it seem like it's near impossible.

Are these examples good? No, they are tests. Experiments. Trying to figure out tone of a piece. Trying to learn the camera.

http://vimeo.com/20228302

https://vimeo.com/20151232

https://vimeo.com/19882942

Oh you want to see an example of static shots? Yeah, I did that too. I took pictures with my smart phone. Added some music and sound snippets behind them. I did this years ago just to do something instead of talking about doing something.

https://vimeo.com/26230093

https://vimeo.com/26248293

Want to see something really simple? I filmed my lava lamp. I wanted to do a test to see if I could make something feel much larger. The creation of a living thing or something set in space.

https://vimeo.com/24668616

DO SOMETHING!!!

“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone”

Last edited:
That was brilliantly bad... or was it badly brilliant? I dunno...

Thanks for that, Alcove! :lol:

"Action League NOW!" was regular segment on Nickelodeon's "KaBlam!" way back when. I used to watch it with my daughter. My favorite segment was "Prometheus and Bob."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYxIaZtOVY

Harmonica44 - Please do us all a favor and stop talking about what you want to do if only.... and just DO SOMETHING. Seriously, for the love of God, I've never witnessed such a procrastinator.

The following is basically what EVERYONE on this thread is telling you to do!!!

I shot these 2 years ago when I bought a camera. I went out for a couple hours and just shot shit. It's not hard to do but by reading your posts you make it seem like it's near impossible.

Are these examples good? No, they are tests. Experiments. Trying to figure out tone of a piece. Trying to learn the camera.

http://vimeo.com/20228302

https://vimeo.com/20151232

https://vimeo.com/19882942

Oh you want to see an example of static shots? Yeah, I did that too. I took pictures with my smart phone. Added some music and sound snippets behind them. I did this years ago just to do something instead of talking about doing something.

https://vimeo.com/26230093

https://vimeo.com/26248293

Want to see something really simple? I filmed my lava lamp. I wanted to do a test to see if I could make something feel much larger. The creation of a living thing or something set in space.

https://vimeo.com/24668616

DO SOMETHING!!!

“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone”

Well I do tests like that a lot, but when I posted them on here before, everyone just kept saying to stop playing around with the camera and make a short film already. I have plenty of tests and stuff like that. I might be on my way to getting enough people for a short right now. I also will do shots of the city, as recommended and put them together, but I was told to make a story out of it. I have looked at shorts that are shots of the city put together, but I don't see how they are telling stories really. They are just shots put together. I can do that but not sure what story I would be telling.

As for sending out my resume to people, is it wise to put a feature film down on there, I was in, if the feature was not that good? The sound did not turn out well, and the editing is poor from the scenes I shot so far. It might be improved later, but if it isn't should I still include it on the resume along with the director as a reference, if it's edited poor with poor sound?

Last edited:
Well I do tests like that a lot, but when I posted them on here before, everyone just kept saying to stop playing around with the camera and make a short film already.

No. Shooting 5 second clips of you shaking your camera around like it's a found footage film is far different than what OpusFuller is doing.

I might be on my way to getting enough people for a short right now.

YOU ONLY NEED ONE OR TWO PEOPLE!!!!!!!

I also will do shots of the city, as recommended and put them together, but I was told to make a story out of it.

Shoot a city. It doesn't have to be a story. If you want to make it into a story, add a VO or something.

I have looked at shorts that are shots of the city put together, but I don't see how they are telling stories really. They are just shots put together. I can do that but not sure what story I would be telling.

That's why they're called tests and experiments.

As for sending out my resume to people, is it wise to put a feature film down on there, I was in, if the feature was not that good? The sound did not turn out well, and the editing is poor from the scenes I shot so far. It might be improved later, but if it isn't should I still include it on the resume along with the director as a reference, if it's edited poor with poor sound?

Anything is better than nothing.

You make my brain hurt.

Okay thanks. And Yes I know I only need two people, but even that is taking time, trying to find actors interested.

Oh, as far as doing the fake trailer, it really would take 20 or more locations and lots of actors. If you watch trailers of today, they show at least 20 locations from the movie in two minutes. That would be a lot of shoot time, unless I could have all the locations available in just a few days if I go to Vancouver. Not that I am not going to do it. I want to. It will just take a lot of time.

Last edited:
H44, you need to change your mindset - stop putting problems in your way. You always seem to come up with a dozen reasons why you cannot do something. It's why many have stopped responding to your threads - it's all questions, problems, questions, problems and you never (despite 4000+ posts and counting) seem to get any filming done.

The below short was shot in Vancouver using a single location during a single day with minimum crew (I think 2), and it's actually damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du4QtDG4DoY

Note, it's not my work.

Get some confidence and experience. Get out there!!!

Last edited:
But IndiePaul...

H44 needs aerial shots. He needs perfect audio. He can't get actors. He can't get locations. He doesn't have enough crew. Color grading won't be perfect. He can't find a tripod. The sun isn't facing the right way. The houses don't look right for the scene. There's purple fringing in some of the shots. It doesn't look cinematic. He doesn't want to color grade because color grading looks digital and it doesn't look right straight out of the camera so he must cancel the project. He has a job as a boom op. He can't complete that job as a boom op. He starts threads on crew positions his friends want him to do, but he doesn't know about. He can't use his friends as actors. He needs a distribution plan. He's having WB issues. He wants to reassign duties. He wants a 50mm on a go-pro. He wants a DSLR look while shooting go pro. He doesn't like fisheye on the go-pro. He has to spend a week or so debating if he is going to use a go pro. He wants to get into aerial videography. It's too expensive. It's too cloudy. He can't find a place to hold casting calls. The actors don't look right. There's a stressed producer on another project. He has to sell his dead-cat! He doesn't know how he should work out a flashback scene.He has to debate which he needs: A tripod or a de-noiser program. The actors' lips are too pink! HE WANTS TO LIGHT hARD wiTH FLorescents! Actor teeth ned to look more whiter. Hid movi neeed to l00k like Drive. He needs c0L0r filtes f0r DSLRmmpokr. He dodnt no h0w lo0nggg a sh000000000rt f!!!!lm should be. HE NEESD MORE LOCATIONS@! He dododododdony *dodbnt *dodnt *doesnt ))))) 5 no *know if he HEHEHEHEHE should go to f!lm festibals. HE eneeds more grear micro .... JNHtoep budget a action mobiles. how u sh00t in VANS!cover when you hcan;t . & how TOIUCLD YOU! pa,efoei30kt24kt HE NEDEds more grear . THE FOOTAGE IS tooo blie... not it's ogrreeeeenejnejnejnejnejMore graeearaekfmm f Nk8e scenes eaoef i4 flicks o ioIO$*(T =q3primq

ERROR!

ejohoietjhoijojroijhiortjohjriojhiotjiorjhioqef03k2-4y9058junfilmmakingfilmmaking

filmmakingfgrwwgrwgilmmakingfilmmakiohocwefwingfilmmakingfilmmakingfilmmakingfilmmakingfilmmakingwrgwgr
wrrgwgwrgrwgwgrw
filmmaking figwglmmaking filmmaking mofilmmaking filmamking filmmaking filmakmign fimmkiinf filmfin fiflmain o o o o o o oo filmkaing.

peigkirjgoijeojgoj209315i4982u62050u284t06024508205809245042890590259024

11 405983 -2034

ERROR!

All excuses and no filmmaking makes Jack not a filmmaker.

-----

I had to get that out. Carry on.

But IndiePaul...

H44 needs aerial shots. He needs perfect audio. He can't get actors. He can't get locations. He doesn't have enough crew. Color grading won't be perfect. He can't find a tripod. The sun isn't facing the right way. The houses don't look right for the scene. There's purple fringing in some of the shots. It doesn't look cinematic. He doesn't want to color grade because color grading looks digital and it doesn't look right straight out of the camera so he must cancel the project. He has a job as a boom op. He can't complete that job as a boom op. He starts threads on crew positions his friends want him to do, but he doesn't know about. He can't use his friends as actors. He needs a distribution plan. He's having WB issues. He wants to reassign duties. He wants a 50mm on a go-pro. He wants a DSLR look while shooting go pro. He doesn't like fisheye on the go-pro. He has to spend a week or so debating if he is going to use a go pro. He wants to get into aerial videography. It's too expensive. It's too cloudy. He can't find a place to hold casting calls. The actors don't look right. There's a stressed producer on another project. He has to sell his dead-cat! He doesn't know how he should work out a flashback scene.He has to debate which he needs: A tripod or a de-noiser program. The actors' lips are too pink! HE WANTS TO LIGHT hARD wiTH FLorescents! Actor teeth ned to look more whiter. Hid movi neeed to l00k like Drive. He needs c0L0r filtes f0r DSLRmmpokr. He dodnt no h0w lo0nggg a sh000000000rt f!!!!lm should be. HE NEESD MORE LOCATIONS@! He dododododdony *dodbnt *dodnt *doesnt ))))) 5 no *know if he HEHEHEHEHE should go to f!lm festibals. HE eneeds more grear micro .... JNHtoep budget a action mobiles. how u sh00t in VANS!cover when you hcan;t . & how TOIUCLD YOU! pa,efoei30kt24kt HE NEDEds more grear . THE FOOTAGE IS tooo blie... not it's ogrreeeeenejnejnejnejnejMore graeearaekfmm f Nk8e scenes eaoef i4 flicks o ioIO$*(T =q3primq

ERROR!

I had to get that out. Carry on.

Well I ask those questions cause this is a filmmaking forum after all, and I do really appreciate the advice given, and have tried to put it to good use. I felt that I needed to learn how to shoot first.

But I should do more than talk, you are right. Here's a video of city shots by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIHgnJEDog&feature=youtu.be

As far as getting two actors for my short, I have been having trouble find two! I got one but could use another and a PSM, hopefully before the DP and other actor forget about it. I keep looking but still no luck. I will try to gain more confidence, and perhaps find a change of my approach.

I felt that I needed to learn how to shoot first.

You don't learn to play the piano by talking/writing about it, you actually play the piano. You don't learn about filmmaking by talking/writing about it, you actually make films.

I started out knowing nothing about audio post, although I did have a very solid background in live sound and music recording. I learned by doing and asking targeted questions as specific problems cropped up. I didn't ask thousands of questions before I got started. I did the work and had other audio post types critique what I had done.

Back