I might have a job on another feature film, but...

Okay thanks I did exactly that and sent it in. However they want to me to send a youtube link or any link to previous work I have done. The feature film I was in, I got nothing to show since it's still being edited and shot by the filmmakers. So I don't really have anything to show them, which is a requirement. I can send them the link to that short I directed, that I acted in as well, but everytime I show another filmmaker that, they never get back to me, but I will show them it, since it's a requirement.

........So I don't really have anything to show them.........

We've been telling you for years now:
make short things.
Make fast, learn fast, improve faster... Be taken seriously faster...

But no.
You had to embark on a big short in an attempt to shortcut to a feature ("within 2 years").
Instead you haven't finished anything, because you are stubbornly waiting for the 'make cool movie-plugin' that will fix your first short in 1 click. It will not happen.
Just finish it. Learn from it.
Look what you could have done differently and look what you will do differently in the future.

All the things that went wrong in your first project: you could have done it wrong in a smaller one as well.
You don't need large projects to fail and learn.
You could have failed with far less effort and learned more, because you could have done more projects in the same time.

Now you can say on your resume:
"I've been busy in filmmaking for over 2 years. Nothing is really finished yet and what I can show you, will scare you away."

Sometimes I think, you can not think and make decisions on your own.
Do you buy your own underwear?
And if you decide it's often a strange decision or a wrong one or based on a black and white perception of the universe.
Think creatively!
There are shades of grey* between all the things you read about filmmaking.
Think creative in everything: in how you find locations (I've used my livingroom as 3 different locations in 1 project), in how you tell stories, in how you can suggest things, in how you can bypass production problems by rewriting, in how you can work within your limitations.
And most of all: learn to use google.
'How to write a resume' is a good way to find information about it. That way you don't have to wait for any of us and you don't look stupid.

Don't forget: try to learn to apply logic.
Logic will get you pretty far.
There is one downside: You need to understand certain things to reason logically.

And now you will reply:
"Ok, thanks... blablabla" and do nothing about it.

*) Far more than 50 :P

I didn't say I wasn't finished the short. Of course I am, and I did learn from it. I am not still making it! And I'm not necessarily wanting to embark on a feature, but a feature is being cast here, so I figured why not take the opportunity. And that feature I was acting in, was not mine, when you say I had to shortcut to a feature. It was produced and directed by others and I acted in it.

I can make more shorts. I would have only me in them to show off my acting, with no one behind the camera though. As long as that pleases people on the resume, sure. It won't impress these people probably because they said they were only hiring actors who have been in films before. By that I assume productions with more than one actor, and an actual crew behind it.

I am also going to cast my next short in a different city with a much larger population, hoping to get enough people to come.

Last edited:
The difference between 'can' and 'do' is action and initiative.

At this moment you say you can make short with only you in it.
Do this once only, because acting is also about interaction with others.
And don't do this for this resume thing, because you need it now. That way you will constantly need to do something 'now', while the 'now' will be over by the time you have it done.
They probably won't wait for you to produce something.

Make a real plan to create some things in the next few months, so you have something to show by then.
If they are still casting by then: send an updated resume.
If they aren't casting anymore: there will be new opportunities. In that case you missed this one, because you didn't do much but filling the IT forum :P

When I did my finals film, I had access to one actor. So I made a story based around one actor.

There was another who didn't have access to any actors. He painted up a wooden peg, put eyes, mouth etc on it. Shot it using really rudimentary stop motion. When it was shown to an audience, they loved it. He found a way to tell an entertaining story with what he had and it worked.

It's easy to find excuses to why you cannot do it.

you would have to be the most un-employable person I have known, unless your job was to ask basic, simplistic questions, to boost a websites google rankings.

Well I sent in the resume and explained to them that the feature I acted in was incomplete yet, and could not show anything. Better than nothing. I just have had writers block right now, and finding it difficult for the past few weeks to write a script without dialogue between at least two people. I will keep thinking.

8salacious9, I think your statement was more than a tad unkind.

Even if it was true of someone, I think it's very unfair to say it. Statements like that can hammer someone's confidence.

And besides he could be very employable in other fields. Just needs a serious kick up the ass regarding film making.

I also need to concentrate more on my own projects now. I helped others make theirs, and this feature is my last one for now I think cause that will give me more time to do my own.

8salacious9, I think your statement was more than a tad unkind.

Even if it was true of someone, I think it's very unfair to say it. Statements like that can hammer someone's confidence.

And besides he could be very employable in other fields. Just needs a serious kick up the ass regarding film making.

i take it back, hes the most employable person i know

H44 wants to be a filmmaker. H44 can become a filmmaker. H44 will probably get into the filmmaking groove after he goes a short or two.

Google can answer your filmmaking questions about resumes and color grading. You have the tools to get a project together. I don't think you're a troll or a jerk, just procrastinating.

You just need a camera. And with that camera you will film something.

Writing?

People say you should write from things you know about. You know about writers block. Write a screenplay about a struggling screenwriter with writer's block. Just an idea.

Pull out a camera and a tripod. Shoot something. Anything.

Edit it together, and color grade it.

That's an idea!
Writing about a writer's block and how he tries everything to find inspiration: crossing a highway on foot, bungee jumping, drinking, drugs, sex with strangers, sitting at a bar watching people, etc...
Or he is thinking about doing everything to overcome it, but he's to lazy/depressed to get out of the room ;)
(That could be a nice twist :P )

Or just go shoot some beautiful shots and make it a nice sequence, just or the fun of it and to get into the filming mood :)

Besides that: I gave you at least 3 ideas for stories you can/may use.
I guess you didn't save them?

(About making something with no persons in it:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=342767
This is something I made with 2 friends when we were students.)

Last edited:
Yep I got your ideas before. Thanks Walter. I just didn't know what to do with them to make a story with a beginning, and an conclusion. Unless it's suppose to be more of a random series of shots.

Writing about a writer's block and how he tries everything to find inspiration: crossing a highway on foot, bungee jumping, drinking, drugs, sex with strangers, sitting at a bar watching people, etc...

Make a short about a guy on a filmmaking forum that trolls a lot.

Here's some ideas:

Pull out a camera and shoot some shots of your city/house/park/garden/front yard.

Put together a short film about an inanimate object showing emotion.

Shoot a cell phone monologue starring yourself.

Experiment with your camera.

Write some scripts.

Film an event. Anything.

Edit together a trailer for a feature film.

Edit together a trailer with everything you already have.

Shoot a short film just using shots of a city + a voiceover.

Shoot anything.

Get a friend, and shoot a 30 second short film with them.

Get a friend, shoot a 5 second film.

Get a friend, shoot a 1 minute short film.

Participate in some Film Riot Monday Challenges.

Shoot a short film about a guy with writers block.

Shoot a short film about a filmmaker who can't come up with any ideas.

Shoot a stop motion film.

Make an animation film using the free program Blender.

Shoot that "comic film" you were speaking about in another post.

Shoot a short film of you doing an everyday task.

Write a script without more than 1 or 2 actors, and without any effects, aerial shots, or anything that requires us to answer questions.

Make a short film about someone who can't write a resume.

Make a short film about a struggling filmmaker.

Make a documentary.

Shoot BTS for a friend's film.

Back