How do I start out as a Director?

Okay so I really want to be a director. I want my vision on the screen. BUT where do I get started? How do I direct my first movie? Ask them to if I can direct it for them? I am confused how they pick directors. :huh:

Any examples? I actually prefer it that way, for myself... but, I can also see how that can be destructive to someone's progress.

I can just speak for myself. I know that if someone tears my work apart, it affects me emotionally, in the sense that it pisses me off. I think it's a defense mechanism. If it didn't piss me off, and if I didn't mentally decide that the criticism was worthless (even if it's actually correct criticism), I wouldn't me be able to go on. What happens with me is that I'll look at my work, a month later and decide that there are all sorts of things wrong with it. And I will then decide what criticism is justified. Even if it's all praise, I'll still decide what's wrong with my work. So if somebody praises me, I don't think it'll destroy my progress. As long as I'm able to, as you put it in another post, compare my work to the works of others and realize, how far I still have to go. But praise can only get me motivated. I can see how it's not the same for everyone.

Haha thanks, sir. But, pat me when I start making money... the transition from DP to Director has left me pretty broke, and I'm not sure how long I can survive now.

I've got like three dollars to eat with. Wendy's!

So go back to being a DP. I was at a dinner last night with a bunch of filmmakers and some of us showed our work off to each other and some were DPs who showed off their work. I'll tell you something man, a good DP is a rare find. I've worked with a few and I can tell you only one was a true DP. He just instinctively knew what to do. Everybody else is usually pulling something off some tutorial they'd seen, that I also have seen.

I'll tell you this, when I saw your stuff, I got jealous, in a good way, but I got jealous. I felt happy for you, but I was still jealous. I knew I could do some of the stuff, but I knew I couldn't do all of it.

Go back to doing whatever makes you money. For your directorial stuff, just keep planning for something you can pull off on a low budget and still make look like a million bucks. From the look of your stuff, I know you can do it. But you got to keep making money any way you can. Otherwise too much Wendy's is gonna break you. Although right now I'm feeling like some Jack in the Box curly fries :yes:

Good luck!!

Completely agree!!! I read somewhere that casting is 80% of directing. So if the performance is off, the director's abilities has a lot to do with it.

yes and i think even if actors are not grate if they seem to be in the same werld its o.k. but if u see one grate actor and a lot of so terrible actors and u do'nt b-leeve they are talking too each other just saying lines than it is bad.

a directer has to pick an acter and communicate with actors, too so when they talk it sounds like a conversation not simun sezz.... :no:

i havv directed some bad performances :no: but i try to get better and its fun! :yes: i luvv having a good acter and see other actors get even better so much :yes: u need trust and communication and no what werld youre movie takes place in. :yes:

Depends upon the size of the crew.

Director is RESPONSIBLE for everything on the set, in front of and behind the camera.
How he or she chooses to delegate that responsibility is discretionary.

<10 cast & crew - the director can probably do it, depending upon experience of cast, crew, and director.
>10 cast & crew - probably benefit from assistants to stay on top of "departments".

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex....,cf.osb&fp=2303290c933ce3a0&biw=1599&bih=815

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&fp=2303290c933ce3a0&biw=1599&bih=815

Interesting side article: http://www.zenera.com/film_cuban.html

Last edited:
This discussion wandered as they do. My interest is a little
narrower: does asking the question “How do I start out as a
director?” indicate the student does not have what it takes?

Well, not much of a survey but two out of five of us asked the
question and of the other three one went straight to books, one
already knew and one took classes. In a way it’s sad that two of
you either didn’t have anyone to ask or chose not to ask another
person for your own personal reasons. I wonder if people who do
not even ask the question do so out of embarrassment or even fear
that they will be told if they have to ask they don’t have what it
takes?

An argument could be made that finding and reading books about
directing is at the very least similar to asking another person.
And that taking a film class or working under others is in a way
asking the question. But I’ll admit that on this tiny survey of
five people the minioity actually ask the question.

I believe that asking another person questions about your
interests is a good thing. It does not idicate you do not have
what it takes.

I wonder where in out history of social evolution it became a bad
thing to ask a question like this?

I believe that asking another person questions about your
interests is a good thing. It does not idicate you do not have
what it takes.

I wonder where in out history of social evolution it became a bad
thing to ask a question like this?
I totally agree with your first statement above.

The second one assumes that it's inherently "bad" to ask what some of us are... arrogant or self confident enough to pursue without even asking!

Don't ask.
Just do.
I'm not a little kid asking mommy if I can have a cookie or a toy.
Screw that. I'll get my own toys and play with them. Break 'em if I want to. :yes:

If you wanna ask - fine.
If you don't wanna ask, but you're going to do it anyway - also fine. :)
If you don't wanna ask because you're too chicken and are waiting for "permission" - raspberries to you, you big baby. :lol:

"MOMMMMM! Can I jump off the roof onto a moving truck?"
Pfft. As if I'm gonna "ask" something retarded like THAT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwgbZ6OjT8 :lol: Very much like filmmaking. HA!

Last edited:
The second one assumes that it's inherently "bad" to ask what some of us are... arrogant or self confident enough to pursue without even asking!

I'm sorry my comment came off that way.

What I meant was; I wonder why it is a sign of not having what
it takes when one asks, "How?". It seems to me that asking "How?"
is an inherently good thing. I made no comment at all on those who
never asked the "How?" question.

If you feel I think not asking is arrogant then I apologize for giving
you that impression. I do not feel that way at all. I do feel that in a
way it's sad that you did not have anyone to ask. Learning from
another person is quite rewarding in a way learning from a book is
not. However, the path anyone takes is the correct path for them.
If any of you felt no need to ask at all, I have no thoughts on that
one way or the other.
Don't ask.
Just do.
I'm not a little kid asking mommy if I can have a cookie or a toy.
I believe there is a difference between asking permission; "Is it okay
with you if I direct a movie?" and asking how; "How do I start out as
a director?" I am not in any way talking about asking for anyones
permission. I am only talking about asking a more experienced person,
"How?"

@directorik & desperadoman

sorry for contributing to the wandering discussion. But it's been a good one :)

@Ray
He didn't ask for permission though. He's thinking about becoming a director. He's asking for insight into how to become one and how to get a job as a director. "How" is a question anybody should be able to ask.

@guerilla
Yeah, some people lie. And some people don't. Some people lie sometimes about some things not all the time about all things.

Books lie too. What is the accountability factor for a book? I've read plenty of books that lied to me. I've met plenty of people, who've had the best of intentions when advising me.

@desperadoman:
You're not going to get a job as a director unless you're related to Spielberg or someone of that stature. You might, but it's not going to happen tomorrow. It will only happen after you've proved yourself over a number of years or a couple of decades. Is that a fact? I've no idea. I've given up on the idea.

My plan is to spend my own money to direct my own movie and then hope it's good enough that people download and see it. If it gets some sort of buzz, and I direct another movie and then that gets some buzz, then maybe... maybe... maybe somebody will say:

"who was that guy that directed that movie that caught that buzz??? maybe we should hire him for our next project."

The above is my killer strategy for getting a job as a director. Thank you. Thank you very much :)

Edit: looks like Rik already answered my "how" question... and Ray hahahahah... where on earth do you get these videos?

Last edited:
Books lie too. What is the accountability factor for a book? I've read plenty of books that lied to me. I've met plenty of people, who've had the best of intentions when advising me.

Ink is hard to erase while on the other hand, conversations "didn't happen".

Generally good writers will also bring along a reputation and praise. You could meet with George Lucas but if he's wrong about something, he could deny having the conversation.

But, yes, you're right, many books do lie, especially in the new age genre, but heck you have to scrunitize and I do. In fact I reviewed over 100 filmmaking books and some of them are pure crap. You can take a quick glance here to find out:

http://www.lexiecannes.com/id16.html

I've found on the whole, incorrect information is not generally the problem with filmmaking-related books -- usually it's phoned-in writing and filler.

Last edited:
Ink is hard to erase while on the other hand, conversations "didn't happen".

Generally good writers will also bring along a reputation and praise. You could meet with George Lucas but if he's wrong about something, he could deny having the conversation.

But, yes, you're right, many books do lie, especially in the new age genre, but heck you have to scrunitize and I do. In fact I reviewed over 100 filmmaking books and some of them are pure crap. You can take a quick glance here to find out:

http://www.lexiecannes.com/id16.html

I've found on the whole, incorrect information is not generally the problem with filmmaking-related books -- usually it's phoned-in writing and filler.

I just looked at your list. Interesting. A lie can come in many forms. One of the books Rebel without a crew which so many people love, and you seem to have liked also, to me, is a lie. Did I enjoy reading that book? Yes. Did I like Rodriguez' story? Yes. Was I glad he made it? Yes. But it's still a lie, to me. Because his story is not going to be my story. When I bought the book, I thought I was going to learn how to be like him and reproduce his success. He was going to tell me, in his book. After reading the book I realized it wasn't going to happen to me. So when I think about that book, I think of it as a lie. He got me to buy it, and told me that if I tried hard enough I could be like him. He didn't tell me that I would also have to be as lucky as him. He didn't write that on the cover. He didn't put that in the advertisement.

I know I'm being harsh. I'm just pointing out how different people take the same things differently. Why am I doing this? I don't know. I should go to bed. :)
Cheers.
Aveek

1 - I'm sorry my comment came off that way.

2 - What I meant was; I wonder why it is a sign of not having what
it takes when one asks, "How?". It seems to me that asking "How?"
is an inherently good thing. I made no comment at all on those who
never asked the "How?" question.

3 - If you feel I think not asking is arrogant then I apologize for giving
you that impression. I do not feel that way at all. I do feel that in a
way it's sad that you did not have anyone to ask. Learning from
another person is quite rewarding in a way learning from a book is
not. However, the path anyone takes is the correct path for them.
If any of you felt no need to ask at all, I have no thoughts on that
one way or the other.

4 - I believe there is a difference between asking permission; "Is it okay
with you if I direct a movie?" and asking how; "How do I start out as
a director?" I am not in any way talking about asking for anyones
permission. I am only talking about asking a more experienced person,
"How?"
1 - Nah, we're cool. When conversations start drilling down on uber-specifics is often when the utmost clarity from both sides (including my own :) ) sneak in before parties realize.
Your experience contributions far outweigh my theoretical education and observations.

2 - Agreed. Asking "How?" is great. It's wonderful.
I don't see you on here asking "How this n' that?" because you've already been there and done that probably because you've already asked "How?" before and have observed from the trenches.
Mostly I see you asking polite variations of "WTH are you thinking?" :lol:
Which is great. You do a good job of getting people to simply LOOK at something from a different, and always a better, perspective.

I introduced "those that DON'T ask how".
IRL I'm considerably more observant and self reliant than I am verbally communicative.
I just go do research myself without asking anyone much of anything.
I see this same trait in one of my children and extend that principle onto others.
Another family member can't stop asking "Who, what, when, where, why & how?", and rarely ever goes digging for intel on her own.
She's verbal. My daughter and I are visual.
End result is we all three walk away with very similar understanding.

The point was actually supportive of "those that DO ask how" because I can see both learning process, and one does not exclude the other.

3 - Again, nah, you didn't give that impression.
It has been suggested in this (meandering) thread that merely asking "How?" is indicative of... some attribute, good or bad.
Just like in the above supportive statement, perhaps some people expect others to ask "How?", but that doesn't mean that those of us who DON'T ask "How?" or many other questions are not already investigating on our own.
I try to assume very little about WTH is going on in the minds of others because I've experienced too many people poorly trying to figure out my quiet introverted ways.
And I get frequent comments along the lines of "Dude, I can barely tell what you're talking about".
Whatever. ;) :lol:

Ask. Don't ask, but research. Different ways of going about to the same end result.

4 - Agreed.
I broadened the position from the specific question of "How?" to include other questions, including "May I?"
I likely ought not to have done that, but the intent was to show that some questions should or could be investigated by other means - such as using the computer for data searches in addition to just bald-face asking "How?"
Most information is out there somewhere.
One person may need to ask "How?"
Another person may investigate by other means.
One party should not cast aspersions upon the other party simply because their methodology is different. (Lilliputians!)
I perhaps like doing independent research considerably more than blabbing to people.
Being ever time conscious, I visually scan information to pass/fail content quality at a considerably faster rate than the junk filled blather of "organic data bases".

Different tools for different people.
Same outcome.
thumbs_up.gif

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I once asked the question, "How do I become a PA?" Yes, I did all sorts of research, on my own. But I also just asked.

The question of how to become a director is considerably more complicated than how to become a PA. Nothing wrong with asking. :)

I didn't ask because it jus seemed obvious to me. To become something you do it. So how do you become a director?

Well, you go where people direct and work on sets, watch, absorb, watch movies and then apply when the time comes. Ive never read a book on directing, although my girlfriends parents did get me one two xmas' ago. I should read it but maybe after the second feature.

I should also read rebel without a crew one day.

Never asked how do I get my first gig or anything like that. Just assumed that you should go and do a few on your own and then you have a chance at getting paid for it. The assumption worked out for me, I'm getting paid to direct only (although jobs are scarce right now, just starting).

What I did buy books ok a read a lot about growing up was writing or how to write screenplays. Now that topic I had an entire library on and I still suck at it. You really only get better at that by getting produced. At least I think so.

I still agree with Rik that just because you ask doesn't mean you don't have what it takes, and certainly just because you don't ask doesn't mean you're automagically going to be able to sustain only directing.

I understand what you're trying to say here.

I'm only saying it because I think humility helps people grow. And I'm not saying you personally should realize that your work isn't up to that bar, I'm saying that any time any of us feel that we are good, great or better than others we should take a step back and compare our work to some of our own favorites.

It helps to keep the ego in check, because rest assured if you don't then someone better than you will at some point; and it'll probably hurt.

I didn't ask, because I didn't have anyone to ask. So I went to books. But as far as I'm concerned, anyone that goes to books for answers is still asking questions. So there's no difference between that and what the OP has done...

I should also read rebel without a crew one day.

I did read this book, and it's inspiring. It let's you know that you can do things without knowing the "professional" way of doing them. Just figure things out. But I still think if someone else has shown that a certain result can be attained by doing it a certain way, why would I not go down the road that's been traveled?

Last edited:
I did read this book, and it's inspiring. It let's you know that you can do things without knowing the "professional" way of doing them. Just figure things out. But I still think if someone else has shown that a certain result can be attained by doing it a certain way, why would I not go down the road that's been traveled?

Rodriguez is definitely inspiring and the book is a good read for anybody, filmmaker or not. And absolutely we should go down roads that have been traveled. It only makes it easier.

When I was reading that book, I was looking for the road. I was searching for the road. I wanted him to show me the way. I read the book some time ago. But I remember after putting it down, thinking that he did not show me the road. He did not give me a formula that would work for me today. that's all I'm saying.

You can say that I'm asking for too much from a book. And I would agree with you. All I'm saying is that when I picked it up, I thought I'd be shown the road I could follow, and I wasn't.

I didn't ask, because I didn't have anyone to ask. So I went to books. But as far as I'm concerned, anyone that goes to books for answers is still asking questions.

Huh? Surely you're jesting here. You did read more than just a couple of books, did you?

Some 95% of my questions were answered and the rest I figured out on my own. Sure there is always a new tech question that requires answers not found in these resources, but by and large, reading and picking up a camera is about all it takes.

-----------

Aveek, "Rebel" is more of a mold-breaking do-it-yourself inspirational read . But the book is badly dated now. I gave it a B-. The book wasn't entirely correct when it came out, and since then, digital arrived rendering much of the info incorrect.

Kholi, I do believe I've mentioned several films made by others that I wish I made. If someone is able to make an equally entertaining film as mine for the same $$$, I'll most certainly give him/her a tip of my hat, because, after all, I want to be entertained myself -- this is why I got into the business myself. :)

Back