How do I start out as a Director?

Okay so I really want to be a director. I want my vision on the screen. BUT where do I get started? How do I direct my first movie? Ask them to if I can direct it for them? I am confused how they pick directors. :huh:

Most people starting off direct their own projects. If you want to become a director then start a project. Get a script and go through the process, starting with pre-production. If it's your own project then you can direct. If people like your work and/or you like directing after your first film then you can continue on! :) It's really simple, just takes time to network and plan.

Your first bit, you need to produce it too. Find a script or write it, find a crew member or two and an actor or two and a camera, mic anda few lights. Keep it super, super simple and 60 seconds long.

Anyone you can't find to fill a position, you'll be doing yourself. Even if they are inexperienced friends you have in front or behind the camera, that's fine at first.

Again, can't stress enough that you need to keep it simple and short.

Good luck!

Most people starting off direct their own projects. If you want to become a director then start a project. Get a script and go through the process, starting with pre-production. If it's your own project then you can direct. If people like your work and/or you like directing after your first film then you can continue on! :) It's really simple, just takes time to network and plan.

Who pays for those initial projects? I'm asking because I've been trying to figure out how to be a producer.

First couple of projects shouldnt really cost you anything.
My suggestive timeline:

1st short - write it. borrow a simple camera. find two friends to be in front of the camera. edit on free editor. You'll see if filmmaking is something that you actually want to do.

2nd short - repeat everything from 1st short.
Start looking for people to collaborate. LOOK FOR PERSON WITH FILMMAKING EXPERIENCE

3rd short - again, write, shoot, edit. Look for people who have good gear (there are bunch of threads on beginner camera and sounds)

With each short you ll be improving.

Last edited:
Okay so I really want to be a director... Ask them to if I can direct it for them? I am confused how they pick directors. :huh:
There is no real them and no they.

Directing is just like any other J O B.
You wanna be a police officer? Goto the police academy.
You wanna be an stock broker? Go get a license.
You wanna be a director? Get a camera and start filming.
A story would be nice.
You got any?
Great, start writing. FREE screenplay writing software >>http://celtx.com/
No? Don't have any stories?
Fine. Buy someone else's.

The closest thing to "they" and "them" are probably producers and studio executives looking for someone with examples or experience organizing materials, labor, budgets, and schedules.
Gotta start with more than a smile.
You need to demonstrate potential.
So, go get a camera and a decent computer.

Who pays for those initial projects? I'm asking because I've been trying to figure out how to be a producer.
How to be a producer:
Know this stuff - http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/27-2012.01
Here's what the government thinks about your interest - http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos093.htm

Here, both you guys wanna see if this is good for you:
"Producers are entrepreneurs who make the business and financial decisions involving a motion picture, television show, or stage production. They select scripts, approve the development of ideas, arrange financing, and determine the size and cost of the endeavor. Producers hire or approve directors, principal cast members, and key production staff members.

Large productions often have associate, assistant, or line producers who share responsibilities. The number of producers and their specific job duties vary with the size and budget of each production; however, all work is done under the overall direction of an executive producer. Together the producers coordinate the activities of writers, directors, managers, and agents to ensure that each project stays on schedule and within budget.

Directors are responsible for the overall creative decisions of a production. They interpret scripts, audition and select cast members, conduct rehearsals, and direct the work of cast and crew. They approve the design elements of a production, including the sets, costumes, choreography, and music. As with producers, large productions often have many levels of directors working on them. Assistant directors cue the performers and technicians, telling them when to make entrances or light, sound, or set changes. All directors must ultimately answer to the executive producer, who has the final say on all factors related to the production."​

Do you know where any business gets it's money from?
Selling product.
What about start-up businesses?
Securing loans.

However, before spending much more than chump change you guys might wanna take a gander at the lovely stats I put together just yesterday.
>> Some ugly numbers >> http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=244440#post244440
There's a no man's land between vacation money and $5M that's pretty much just wasted money.
>> Note Production Budgets" >> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Hh6cHJBMW5aQkZSMzZYR2V3VUxQVUE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Last edited:
As usual, Uncle Bob is going to go against the grain.

Everyone has been giving you the indie film directors track that has emerged over the last two decades. Prior to that you had to work your way up through the system (yes, there were exceptions). You would work as an intern, or a very junior camera assistant or any one of a number of other entry level positions. You got to watch and work with experienced professionals. If you were good at your job you got the opportunity to take on more responsibilities until, if you were good enough, you got to direct on your own.

The industry has radically changed since WWII and the traditional studio system, where most films were cranked out in a month or two and the occasional "mega-budget" project took six months. (I don't want it great, I want it Tuesday! - Samuel Goldwyn) After WWII budgets and the influence of the studios changed, but the system for those wanting to direct remained pretty much in place until relatively recently.

Now I agree that many of these opportunities are not available to most fledgling filmmakers in this day and age. So my advice would be to get involved in other projects; work as a PA or whatever you can get your hands on. You will learn practical skills for your own projects and get to watch other struggling directors at work. You may also start collecting favors you could call in when you do your own project(s).

So go ahead and write your own scripts. But you should also read lots of other scripts. Get a basic camera and begin learning how to use it. But you should study all kinds of films to discover why those films were - or were not - visually effective. You should begin understanding how sound affects an audience, and why it all starts with production sound on the set. And the myriad other aspects of filmmaking - wardrobe, hair & makeup, set design, set dressing, etc., etc., etc. So many of these disciplines are virtually ignored by a very large percentage of todays low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers.

One last thought; being a director, especially at the low/no/mini/micro budget level, is a lot more than having a creative vision; you must also have people skills, technical skills and organizational skills to bring your vision to life. You may be chasing a dream, but everything else about filmmaking is grounded in reality.

Last edited:
Desparadoman, I'll give you my example. I wanted to be a director. I had no idea how. I was living in Los Angeles and I did not know a single actor. That's how out of touch with the film world I was. When I started thinking about directing films, what I did was check out Craigslist. There are filmmakers all the time looking for volunteer Production Assistants or PAs. I volunteered on weekends. I went to those sets early in the morning, hung out all day and held boom poles and carried equipment around for sandwiches. But I watched what they did. That's how I got started.

You say on your profile that you're a writer. I don't know if you've published any books, but how did you become a writer? You picked up a pen. So volunteer first. Then ask as many questions as you want here. Figure out what equipment you need. Buy them, or make friends with people who have equipment (maybe people you volunteer for will volunteer for you). Plan your film. And that's it. :)

Cheers,
Aveek

Says most people living in Los Angeles.

I don't want to rain on this parade, but if you have to ask how to be one, you don't have what it takes.

Am I wrong?
I think you're wrong.

This is a discussion group. People should be encouraged to come
here and ask questions. Asking "BUT where do I get started? How
do I direct my first movie? " is a valid question that many people
ask. It doesn't mean they don't have what it takes. It means they
want advice and opinions from their fellow filmmakers.

Okay so I really want to be a director. I want my vision on the screen. BUT where do I get started? How do I direct my first movie? Ask them to if I can direct it for them? I am confused how they pick directors. :huh:
I'm going to make the assumption by "they" you mean
producers of movies. Or, perhaps you mean how does the
studio pick directors. Am I correct? Are you asking about
a directors firs paid job? Or are you asking about how does
a director who has never directed anything, ever, direct
their first movie?

I think you're wrong.

I could be wrong, but if I liked to gamble, I'd sink a couple hundred into this one.

------

I do understand the part where you're wanting the forum to encourage people to ask questions. But at the same time the forum should reflect reality -- there's far too many filmmakers in the business and even more filmmaker wannabes, so weeding them out is a good thing, for us, the industry and the forum. Already too many films posted in here are rarely watched, because, well gosh, there's so many crappy ones.

Besides, if the OP to succeed in the film directing business, he'll survive my put down. :cool:

You've gotten some good feedback here. Volunteer to work on somebody else's project to learn the process. Go to the library or buy some books on directing. Watch the behind the scenes material on DVDs.

Your profile says you're a writer, so write a simple script with little or no dialogue, storyboard it and then snag anybody you can to be in it. Shoot it with whatever camera you can get your hands on. A cellphone if you have one that shoots decent video if that's all you have. Edit in Imovie or Windows Movie Maker. Most likely it won't be very good, but you will learn. Then do it again, and it will be a little better. So on and so on.

I had one friend who couldn't get a cast and ended up starring in his own short horror film.

Scott

Nice dodge, Guerrilla. Completely change the subject and make your
point on the new subject.

We agree on one part of your new subject; reflecting reality in
answers to questions is essential - no need to coddle new
filmmakers. But you didn’t say that. I wasn’t reacting to that. I
was reacting to your statement that if someone needs to ask this
question they do not have what it takes.

But I disagree with you that there are too many filmmakers in the
business, too many wannabe filmmakers and weeding them out is what
we should be doing here in indietalk. People come here to discuss
filmmaking with their fellow filmmakers. They do not come here to
be weeded out from the garden of filmmakers.

I also don’t think what you said was a put down. I think what you
said was wrong. And I only said that because you asked.

I could be wrong, but if I liked to gamble, I'd sink a couple hundred into this one.
I’ll take that bet.

Let’s ask the directors here - the ones who have directed a short
or feature - if they ever asked anyone “Where do I get started?”
or “How do I direct my first movie?”

I’ll go first: I asked that question. And it turns out I had what
it takes.

You never asked that? Fair enough. Anyone else?

I asked. For sure I asked.

In fact I still ask directing related questions all the time, even when I think I have the answer. Someone else always gives me an angle I hadn't considered before. Same thing happened when I first started out, looking for answers. I do that with writing also. I'll discuss my characters or plot with other writers or anybody with an ear, and they'll say something that will give me an idea.

I think it's counterproductive to look at this field as a zero sum game in which I need to eliminate others to succeed. I'm not sure that it's very useful as a strategy for success. Wrong focus.

I’ll go first: I asked that question. And it turns out I had what
it takes.

Didn't ask. Kinda already knew. Started out working under other people and still climbing. Dunno if I have what it takes, and pretty sure most of us here do not if "what it takes" is defined as a sustainable career with the title Working Director. AKA only directing for a living, or your primary income.

I disagree with Guerilla, though, which means I agree with you. It isn't our job to weed out filmmakers, although reality checks are needed we should not be here to discourage others from doing.

Just because you have a thick skin doesn't mean you do good work, either. Doesn't mean you have what it takes, doesn't mean you're going to grow out of your own rut.

------

I do understand the part where you're wanting the forum to encourage people to ask questions. But at the same time the forum should reflect reality -- there's far too many filmmakers in the business and even more filmmaker wannabes, so weeding them out is a good thing, for us, the industry and the forum. Already too many films posted in here are rarely watched, because, well gosh, there's so many crappy ones.

Besides, if the OP to succeed in the film directing business, he'll survive my put down. :cool:

I'm sure that I've said this before, but you could really use a healthy dose of humility.

I asked. For sure I asked.

I think it's counterproductive to look at this field as a zero sum game in which I need to eliminate others to succeed. I'm not sure that it's very useful as a strategy for success. Wrong focus.

Most people trying to eliminate others are doing it because they're not in a position to be serious competition.

Just because someone can pick up a camera doesn't make them competition, just means a little more chatter to tune out.

Last edited:
"Weeding out the wannabe filmmakers?" That's like trying to clear all the cars off the 405 Freeway in Los Angeles.
Good luck on that! :lol:

------

Gotta remember too, there are people of all ages here. One thing to rip a guy in his 40's a new one (still usually not the best route), but it's another to do it to a 13 year old who's trying to explore some career paths.

You're right. It happened like this: I watched another $12 piece of crap Hollywood and decided I could do better than that and picked up a book.

paul said:
but it's another to do it to a 13 year old who's trying to explore some career paths.

You have a point. But if we have to temper our responses because there are children listening would pretty much dilute the value of the forum.

kohli said:
It isn't our job to weed out filmmakers

If not filmmaking peers, then whose job is it? Do they wait until they've spent all the family-borrowed money on an unwatchable pile of crap that gets 73 film festival rejections in row before it occurs to them they're not filmmakers.

Just because you have a thick skin doesn't mean you do good work

True, but all the talent in the world isn't going to help you unless you have thick skin.

I'm sure that I've said this before, but you could really use a healthy dose of humility.

And you'd be wrong because if one aspect of my personality were to change, I might not have all the tools to survive in the film business and continue making feature films.

-------------

Again, I point at the unwatchable films posted in here that go mostly unwatched by the majority of people here. By not stating the obvious (by being silent), we're enabling mediocrity among filmmakers. Maybe this makes for a "positive" forum, but it also breeds bad filmmakers.

Back