Hijacking a thread!: Let's play What If...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...firstly, I am hijacking a thread. The independant movie industry one is making my head hurt.

...However, I actually got an idea when looking it over...

...In my home town, there are two small independently owned movie theaters. They both only have one screen. Now, of course, there are the 'movieplexes'; GKC and AMC, but these two little theaters are second run houses.

...In the metro Detroit area, there are two independantly owned and operated theaters that are well known for showing independant films, (the Maple and Main Art Theaters).

...I would think that there are little one screen theaters all over the country like these, one screen, showing art, indie or second run films.

...What if these owners could be convinced that there is an audience for indie film (because there is) and also be impressed upon to make some sort of 'commitment to showing indie film? What if they could become maybe a co-op (?), where they decide and agree that okay, we will show 'Primer', we will show 'Murderball', we will show 'Memento', show 'Supersize Me' or whatever indie film is being appreciated.

...since Hollywood wants so much to show 'Dukes of Hazzard', fine. These theaters could commit to showing these small films that people hear just won at Sundance or Cannes or Slamdance or what have you as an alternative to the usual fare.

...maybe, since they know (indie filmmakers can impress this upon them) that indie filmmakers are usually just this side of broke, they can give cut rates to these filmmakers. This way, they have more films to choose from with an almost guaranteed audience of people who want more to watch than yet another car chase and explosion and the indie filmmakers have a place to show.

...since these films are often considered to be 'art' and therefore present a service to the community, maybe they could be advertised on the televised community bulletin boards that tv stations sometimes use to satisfy fcc regulations of community service and therefore would be free advertising.

...maybe an agreement could be made to show, say 'Primer' for about 2 weeks. If it does well (relatively well) give another week. If not, well, it had a 2 week run in a theater which is enough time for people to find the film and like it or not like it. People vote with thier pocketbooks.

...if the film gets discovered by Hollywood the way 'Resevouir Dogs' did, then okay, the film gets picked up, and good luck, but since the indie theaters made the initial committment to a film that was initially ignored by the Big Industry, something is given in exchange for the 'release' of this film to the bigger distributor, like 'This film discovered by Indie Co-op Theaters' or something like that. Something that would make it worth the risk of taking on the film in the first place and to make up for the loss of a film that might have a distribution machine to push it and possibly take it to the level of a blockbuster film.

...it would be nice if the cost of making the film could be lowered also, at least a little, like equipment rental or film transfer, so that people could have real access to services to produce the film. (I personally am tired of hearing people say they charge what the market will bear. People pay this because they have to in order to get their vision made. Not because they are happy to do so. No more, no less).

...this is about as far as I got on this 'idea'. Somebody with more business know how than I might be able to come up with a way to make this work...

--spinner :cool:

WOW!

...I didn't realize that this thread was still going! Some great ideas (I had to re-read this thread) Here are some of my thoughts...

...first, as great an idea this is, guys, get something on paper. You need a proposal of some sort, a really good game plan, and some people to do this even on a small scale. So, before everyone runs to the local theater, remember to be able to answer all the questions they might have. If the theatres are negative, as some have said, then there must have been a reason for them to say no. Be able to counter the 'no' with a better yes...

...as for seed money, which we would need, there are grants....

...I also went over some of the posts that I had yet to read:

...one question was: 'How do you advertise? (paraphrasing) This is where Hollywood kicks ass, months of advertising and some magazines cover this stuff for free". Oh, yeah? Then allow me to retort...

...since this is going to be a HUGE undertaking:
In Detroit, the local indie paper is called the Metro Times, in Chicago, The Reader, in NY the Village Voice, in Toronto, the Eye or Now. Who says its not possible to get the Association of independant Newsweeklies (yes, there is a group and they are online for most large cities) Who says they can't get on board this idea? Free ads for credit in the film (Credit rolls are long anyway) credit in the film and recognition in the theater for their involvement? Spat said he advertised in the Toronto papers. They already kind of do this, maybe step things up alittle. This would make strides in creating a society bigger than just our neighborhoods. There's your advertising...

...maybe this could even be expanded into a 'filmmakers forum' in the indie papers to let people know what is ready to be released or distributed, what is in production, pre-production; who needs help, crew, equipment, actors. I know that this goes away from the film stuff a little, but we have to at least let our dreams extend beyond our immediate reach. Besides, its just an idea right now...

...somewhere I also read that the theatres would have to keep in touch with each other. Unless they are on-board with this idea, that's not going to happen and maybe not even if they are favorable. The footwork and 'heavy lifting' is going to have to be done by us, the filmmakers at least until it begins to show some potential. It will just be another thing we have to do ourselves. Someone will have to get on the phone. This seems like a small thing right up until something has to happen...this isn't negative, just looking at logistics.

...and the most important thing will be...altogether now...reliability of those involved...

...these are great ideas, but something has to be put on paper so that people have something in their hands to look at....

--spinner :cool:

I totally agree with you that this needs to be put on paper. I have been working on a powerpoint presentation for this idea.

If we get the idea down and sound and if Lilith is willing, she can do the plan.

The biggest part in developing this is... Who are the founders? Who is "In"? and who/how will people get paid. We are talking about a business and businesses are supposed to make money. So when money is made, we need to know how to split it all up. AND it should be talked about up front because I don't want anyone to be mad about it later.

I really think this can work, we need make a foundation and build upon that. There are problems, yes, but by everyone looking at this from different angles, it will be more sound when the building blocks begin to lay ontop of a great foundation.

Committment is huge in this. While some may only be able to give a little time and others more, we can all design this idea into a real deal that will work. And I believe it will stand the test of time. I believe that THIS can be the next big thing for Indie Filmmakers. It could evolve into a new era in cinema. Indie filmmakers need an avenue to get their films on the big screen and THIS is it. IndieFlics.com the road to your future.

But now let's get back to creating this foundation.

I need to wait till after the weekend to talk. In pre-prod. on my next short which shoots this coming weekend. Have to paint 2 rooms and have meetings. Let me know when you plan to get together in cyberspace and I will try to be there. :)

Although I'm perfectly willing to share this all with the fine IT folks here, we should move this into chat or some non-public venue until we get the business plan into action and legalized...at this point, we are exposed and risk having our ideas stolen. I may sound paranoid, but it comes from business experience.

Feel free to disagree, I will absolutely be a part of this no matter what, but that's my US$.02

While I agree with you on this, we still need to keep this open, for now, to figure out when the chat can take place and who is interested in formulating this business.

ALSO

I just received favorabale responses from Cinemark and Kerasotes.
Cinemark has one major requirement. The films have to be rated by the MPAA.

So I've been thinking, if we receive shorts, we could put the shorts into a feature length "Pod" and release that. Basically the entire Pod would be rated, if needed, instead of each individual film within.
Anyone have a film rated by the MPAA or have researched it before? If so, please share what you found.

Just to throw this into the mix, I interviewed for a job at my region's largest Art House cinema the other day. I'll hear on Monday whether I was sucessful.

If I was sucessful I'll be able to get a much clearer idea of how to dovetail indie distribution into the existing cinema networks. At least in the UK and the rest of Europe.

knightly said:
Although I'm perfectly willing to share this all with the fine IT folks here, we should move this into chat or some non-public venue until we get the business plan into action and legalized...at this point, we are exposed and risk having our ideas stolen. I may sound paranoid, but it comes from business experience.
How great would it be to have this idea stolen and have dozens of people working on developing venues and screening of indie films?

OK, I agree. I wrote down some things yesterday and I think that we are at a point to take this off the public channel. SO, Will the IT chat room allow us to create a room where only certain individuals are able to join?

I think we should possiblty do a chat this week sometime, in the evening. Let me know the day(s) available and times.

Please send me a PM with all the IM's you are on, AIM, Yahoo, MSN Messenger, etc.. and your availability this week.

CootDog said:
OK, I agree. I wrote down some things yesterday and I think that we are at a point to take this off the public channel. SO, Will the IT chat room allow us to create a room where only certain individuals are able to join?
Yes, you can create a private room. Then, only members you invite from the main chat room can join.

OK Then let's do that.. a chat room here, that make's it easier.. just let me know the times you're all available.
Only those that PM me will be allowed into the chat.

I know that since we're all around the globe that this might be the hardest thing, getting everyone in the room together. I think that whoever want's in with this can have a copy of the chat provided.

IndieTalk, is that a possibility to save the chat? I've never done it before, that's why I ask. [EDIT]Just tested the save function... it works very well![/EDIT] BUT does it save the entire chat? like if it goes on for pages and pages?

Last edited:
I dunno, Coot- I think this should be a public thing- kind of like Open Source code. If by chance someone steals the idea, it's just going to create more venues for indie cinema.

I'd love to participate in the chat though- evenings are no good on my end though- except on weekends.

Well let's all discuss this and decide to keep it open to the public or not.

Weekends work for me too. Saturday night is best for me. I'm in USA GMT-6:00 (Central Time)

Due to a holiday obligation, I may be late to the party. Sorry about that. Daughter/Christmas Play. If I miss it, will you be able to send a file containing the conversation to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back