Help Me Help You! Looking for film(s) to distribute! Success Guaranteed.

Moderator Note: This is the discussion portion of this thread... there is also a classifieds portion... please keep the discussion of this business strategy here and leave the classified post for inquiries about the distribution offer.

Hello all, this is my first post as you can all see. First and foremost I'd like to say that you guys have a great community here. To the admin, nice site!

I'll get straight to the point. First and foremost my bold claim in the title "Success Guaranteed". Reason being I'm currently looking for an indie filmmaker whom I can purchase a license from to sell your film as 4,000 units.

I'm looking for HD material only. Preferably a movie, but a great documentary could sway otherwise. The film would be put onto blu-ray and again our license from you would be to sell 4k units only.

-the title would have to be over 1 hr in length
-HD quality
-special features etc a plus
-Quality, quality... quality.

You can post youtube trailers in this thread or PM me them. If interested we can discuss further.

Do you have a film that is good/great and you just want to get it OUT THERE! Haven't had the finances of getting it pressed up NICELY? We're interested in checking it out! We have promotional tools already in place and the movie we choose will sell!

Perhaps this is THE opportunity for you. And as I'm not accustomed to the quality of films this community is representative of perhaps it could open the door for more ventures with more filmmakers as if the first is as successful as we plan then we'd be looking to continue to work with more filmmakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get straight to the point. First and foremost my bold claim in the title "Success Guaranteed". Reason being I'm currently looking for an indie filmmaker whom I can purchase a license from to sell your film as 4,000 units.

I don't care about "Success Guaranteed" I want to know how much up-front cash you'll be putting up. And I mean CASH, as in 20s wrapped up in rubber bands.

So, what's the minimum up-front cash amount, hmm?

I don't care about "Success Guaranteed" I want to know how much up-front cash you'll be putting up. And I mean CASH, as in 20s wrapped up in rubber bands.

So, what's the minimum up-front cash amount, hmm?

I dont believe its of the filmmakers concern of how much money we are putting up in regards to the entire project. It is however of the filmmakers concern that they aren't having to put up any money and that we are paying them up front if their film is chosen and if we can come to a mutual agreement that fits our budget.

Evidence of success is also appreciated....

This is our first time pressing up a film and selling to our consumer base. So we may not have proven success on our end, but the filmmaker has success in regards to 1) getting paid and 2) getting their film promoted and "out there". So we are taking on the risk ...

I smell either a troll or an agent salesman.

Well there's a thin line between a troll, sales agent, or a legitimate deal.

Do you own a company? Wouldn't it be a good idea to begin with who you are and what you've done?

Yes, we own a company. I have no idea of the quality of films the members of this forum have and thus I didnt feel it wise to discuss and plug everything it is that we are trying to accomplish if in the end we didn't find anything of merit here. We're not looking to take on multiple projects at once ... we're looking to work with one filmmaker first as its a big financial risk on our behalf and if the project is successful then try to repeat. That being said, the filmmaker chosen will not be left in the dark on the project details by any means but its not in our best interest to go posting publicly about our entire business model.

Once we can narrow down the choosing of the films, then we can negotiate the price. We aren't a movie studio so its not like we have some huge budget, but our offer is very real and rewarding. We already have the customers, we just need the content. Everything we do is 100% legal and abides by all tax laws.

Interested parties can submit any and all trailers ... received none thus far. ;)

Last edited:
If the company is new... how have you established your customer base who will be purchasing the finished product? What is the company? What is the demographic of the customer base? How much are you offering the filmmakers for their works?

Have you made other successful business ventures in the past that you could provide as a business prospectus for potential content developers?

You've met the response you have here because some of our community members have horror stories of business dealings gone horribly wrong. Your offer is bold, sudden and seems to good to be true - which these types of things often are. So we're just asking for proof of previous successes from your company.

For the record; you've given the best response to the trolling question thus far.

If the company is new... how have you established your customer base who will be purchasing the finished product? What is the company? What is the demographic of the customer base? How much are you offering the filmmakers for their works?

We own/operate a movie community website. It has flourished well over the years. While we've always made money, we became an official company last year. (So yes we are a new business with limited funding; but we are a profitable business and always have been ) We have a very passionate movie collector community and we know how to market towards our community. We have a successful site and thus I have contacts with most major movie studios world wide. Major movie studios want to do huge runs in regards to qty and while we are successful... trying to move like 50k is just not feasible yet. We are good at what we do ... but we dont make films, alas that is why I'm here. We're looking to press up 4k in a special edition blu-ray to sell on our site. Major movie studios have been a hurdle to say the least in regards to a qty so low. Additionally, we have far better connections with movie studios abroad but that doesnt help us in regards to us being located in the USA and needing licensing through the USA studio. However if we work with a filmmaker and the filmmaker owns the content then we can skip the charade of the big studio and get things moving.

Have you made other successful business ventures in the past that you could provide as a business prospectus for potential content developers?

Yes, we own 3 movie sites in our web-ring with 2 being very well respected in the industry. Anyone who submits a trailer that piques our interest will learn more of our operation and our sites etc. I'm not purposely trying to leave everyone in the dark but in all honesty as I'm new to this site I do not even know if this is going to be a place that we'll be able to find the talent/content or a wasted opportunity. Obviously I'm hoping for the best and hoping to be surprised and hoping to help out an up and coming film maker as well. I personally feel like it a great opportunity for the film maker as its only been the hurdles that we've faced that has brought us here. If the major studios were playing ball then we honestly wouldnt be going to these measures. In regards to affiliate commissions alone we've soldout titles of 4k qty in less than a week at pre-order. We've done that for 6 different titles. Granted these are films with either critical acclaim or blockbusters. I dont feel that happening with any Indy film but I do have strong faith in us being able to move 1k. Hopefully the 4k but I feel more confident of the 1k ... But again all this depends on the content/film to which hopefully we are very moved and passionate about........

You've met the response you have here because some of our community members have horror stories of business dealings gone horribly wrong. Your offer is bold, sudden and seems to good to be true - which these types of things often are. So we're just asking for proof of previous successes from your company.

I understand that ... and I understand that most people especially new people who come around posting something as bold as I have must sound exactly that .... too good to be true. However its been our struggles from our business which is at the other end of the spectrum that has brought us here. You guys are the filmmakers and we move product. We dont do any digital distribution which I see many people coming here and offering that. We're talking about us seeing a trailer that is good enough for us to want to see the film and then decide if we want to make the filmmaker an offer to allow us to sell only 4k qty max. In a sense this offer is too good to be true because you have the power to decline the offer ... simply as. But that's the truth of it.

It's an expensive project for us, but its something we want to accomplish in 2013. This is not a get rich scheme for any of us ... but if successful we'd like to wash/rinse/repeat.

The success of our run depends on the quality of the film so obviously we'd be very picky.

For the record; you've given the best response to the trolling question thus far.

Thx. :D

List your websites,

If you don't then...

1. Your the worse salesman iv seen this year
2. your trolling for some weird reason

You need not post anything other than your websites to start gaining back the trust of indietalk members

So I quote "link, or it didn't happen"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll talk with my partners and see if they want that out there ... I'm sure at some point it would get out there anyways. But from one developer to another (the owner of this site) its not exactly the most polite thing to start whoring links. Which is why I never started with a link, and again I didnt know of the quality of talent/content that filmmakers here might have. I received one trailer and it had great editing and looked interesting so that does make me feel better of this.

I do however find it a bit funny that an open call for people to post there work is quickly lashed out at .... I mean don't filmmakers want to get their films noticed and get paid for it? A simple posting or PM of your trailers isnt hurting anyone ... You guys should always be in promote mode about your projects eh?

Think what you want ...but each person who has PMed me and submitted a trailer has received links to our websites. If a moderator or admin PMs and wants them as well then they can get them too.

I appreciate your warm welcome!

You've posted in the classified ads section, it's your right to post a link.

Being the Internet we're also often in ready-for-troll mode, as when someone posts on a forum for the first time they could be anyone. Ted enough examples of first time posters who are either out right lying in their post, or being misleading.

I shouldn't have to do all the work (ie pm you). Evidence of success is a must when it is advertised

I don't find anything untoward with the user's links they've provided me for research... the names match in the whois lookups on the domains to posted information both here and on linkedin.com for this user. The other folks looking at the linkedin profile match statements made here.

The statements made to me in the PM match the information garnered from their sites. Other than my natural paranoia (well documented on this site), I don't see any reason not to contact them initially to gauge interest.

All that's left is to see what kind of terms are being offered and the biggie; rights and ownership after the purchase.

edit: I am not doing anything other than stating that their claims seem true. And it's me personally, not IndieTalk.

Last edited:
I do however find it a bit funny that an open call for people to post there work is quickly lashed out at .... I mean don't filmmakers want to get their films noticed and get paid for it? A simple posting or PM of your trailers isnt hurting anyone ... You guys should always be in promote mode about your projects eh?

There's often a divide between distributors and filmmakers. There are a lot of distributors that have no intention to do anything more than take a filmmakers work and profit from it. At least (From what I know) you're not asking for up front money from the filmmaker.

As for the promotion, there's a fine line between promoting your own work and being exploited by someone else... especially for profit. While you're right, filmmakers should be looking for opportunities to promote their work, locking yourself into a bad distribution deal is the death for films. That'll accomplish the opposite to what promotion is supposed to accomplish.

The lack of details is what makes your initial post look like a scam or a shoddy distributor. I believe (my own personal opinion) that you'll need testimonials from people we know, samples of your success or at a dead minimum, a list of what you're chasing and what you'll do for a filmmaker and what a filmmaker could expect in return.

There's a growing tally of people trying to scam new filmmakers. If you're legit, you need to find a way to rise above that. If you're not aware of the current state of affairs, then you're poorly suited for the job. If you're selling your own services in a half assed way, why do you feel we should we expect you to do a top notch job of selling a filmmakers baby?

I'm still calling BS. They dodged my up front cash question. Chances are it's zip!

Secondly, if they're legit, there are better ways to find that great film they need without trolling in here. There are hundreds of films that were on the 2012 film festival circuit still without distribution -- many of them even great. These films mostly passed muster with festival screeners, audiences (if they won awards) and the filmmakers forked up bucks for chance to get selected for these festivals.

By opening the door here, they're gonna get buried under quite a few unwatchable films since many of these films will not be prescreened or vetted before they obtained them.

I suppose one could argue one has nothing to lose but time (and your dignity).

Carry on.

There's often a divide between distributors and filmmakers. There are a lot of distributors that have no intention to do anything more than take a filmmakers work and profit from it. At least (From what I know) you're not asking for up front money from the filmmaker.

As for the promotion, there's a fine line between promoting your own work and being exploited by someone else... especially for profit. While you're right, filmmakers should be looking for opportunities to promote their work, locking yourself into a bad distribution deal is the death for films. That'll accomplish the opposite to what promotion is supposed to accomplish.

The lack of details is what makes your initial post look like a scam or a shoddy distributor. I believe (my own personal opinion) that you'll need testimonials from people we know, samples of your success or at a dead minimum, a list of what you're chasing and what you'll do for a filmmaker and what a filmmaker could expect in return.

There's a growing tally of people trying to scam new filmmakers. If you're legit, you need to find a way to rise above that. If you're not aware of the current state of affairs, then you're poorly suited for the job. If you're selling your own services in a half assed way, why do you feel we should we expect you to do a top notch job of selling a filmmakers baby?

No offense but it seems that people only read little of what they want to read. We arent buying a person's film. We are buying a license from the film maker to sell up to 4k qty only. Why would we be up to current affairs in regards to filmmakers and distributors? That is not our expertise and if it were then we wouldnt be here would we? We're looking for a one time deal an clearly stated we represent a passionate movie community site. We clearly said we were new to this, and simply said if we like your trailer/film then we'd make the filmmaker an offer for the one-time license. You're free to sell your film to whom ever else .... Last time I checked Best Buy didnt own The Dark Knight Trilogy ...that's WB. We are simply seeking a license to sell X amount of qty on our own website and our promotion would only be on our own site as that's all we need to sell.

I'm still calling BS. They dodged my up front cash question. Chances are it's zip!

Secondly, if they're legit, there are better ways to find that great film they need without trolling in here. There are hundreds of films that were on the 2012 film festival circuit still without distribution -- many of them even great. These films mostly passed muster with festival screeners, audiences (if they won awards) and the filmmakers forked up bucks for chance to get selected for these festivals.

By opening the door here, they're gonna get buried under quite a few unwatchable films since many of these films will not be prescreened or vetted before they obtained them.

I suppose one could argue one has nothing to lose but time (and your dignity).

Carry on.

Your first reply didnt even seem serious ... You want us to tell you how much money we have? It's none of your business lol .... Why would a business man discuss all the financials openly? Financials are discussed with the film maker chosen not every Joe Schmo on the forum...

The filmmaker pays $0 ... like I also stated that we were paying for everything. At least in my eyes, that's success guaranteed. But to each his own .... Would have loved that deal back in my aspiring music days haha.

Good luck to everyone here with your projects, and you made a great impression Guerrilla. I'm sure you and many others will find many more opportunities of someone willing to pay for everything up front and take on all of the financial risk.

2 Cents!

Last edited:
I don't find anything untoward with the user's links they've provided me for research... the names match in the whois lookups on the domains to posted information both here and on linkedin.com for this user. The other folks looking at the linkedin profile match statements made here.

The statements made to me in the PM match the information garnered from their sites. Other than my natural paranoia (well documented on this site), I don't see any reason not to contact them initially to gauge interest.

All that's left is to see what kind of terms are being offered and the biggie; rights and ownership after the purchase.

edit: I am not doing anything other than stating that their claims seem true. And it's me personally, not IndieTalk.

While I am definitely overwhelmed in this thread I would still like to state that you performed an intelligent amount of research. As a forum admin, I commend you for being a good representation as a mod for indietalk.

Back