• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

character Friendo

Been reading screenplays, with an eye on formatting. And noticed that, uniquely, in No Country for Old Men, the Cohens dispense altogether with INTS and EXTS and - days and - nights. They, of course, by now don't have to sell anything to anyone, and know exactly what they are doing, so this means nothing.

But one thing that hit me, on this reading, was the supreme importance of casting. For example I can't read this scene without hearing Javier Bardem as Chigurh and Jene Jones as the proprietor. I typed out the scene in FD, and attached it here, italicizing anything that did't make the film--just a few lines and it is better without them.

It is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Occasionally, when meeting someone, they will ask, making conversation, something like "what do you do?" And the next time, I think I'll say, "What business is it of yours what I do. Friendo." :)

Edit: replaced my link with one to the whole script. The scene is pages 18-24)

and just noticed. In this one the formatting is what it usually is, so my original observation is probably not valid.

Last edited:
I ride one of the last Buell XB12R Firebolts made right before they extended the swingarm which I should add... Screwed that line of bike up in my humble opinion.

I can't help but ride American... LOL. But I did have a chance to ride an MV Agusta F4CC and was VERY IMPRESSED.

You don't need to see any episodes of the Love Boat. It's just awful. Not that I've seen it. I'm more into Soundgarden. Wait, still too old. I mean I'm into Maroon 5 and the films of John Favreau. Wait, still too old. I don't watch films or listen to music, I just watch tik tok videos of the Wendsday dance. Ok, perfect, I'm now young enough to interact socially with other humans.
I'm dating a 22 year old out of necessity (nobody my own age will date me) and when I showed her a Mission Impossible film I had to point out which guy was Tom Cruise. fucking tom cruise. the world has definitely changed.

I ride one of the last Buell XB12R Firebolts made right before they extended the swingarm which I should add... Screwed that line of bike up in my humble opinion.

I can't help but ride American... LOL. But I did have a chance to ride an MV Agusta F4CC and was VERY IMPRESSED.
Yeah, that's almost the same bike as the Mille R, spec wise. Not sure why it's so pricey though. You can get a 999s for like 20k used.

Look, there is no such thing as "too much bike" for me, but I do have to say, these bikes are not ideal for a daily driver in a crowded city. Lol.

I have a story about that bike though, and it's one that contributed to my selling it. It was so fantastic that I was unquestionably going to die on it.

So one night, I'm out on the 101 I think, and nobody is out there. It's like 3 am, and I just got the bike a few weeks earlier. I decide to give that 198 mph top speed a "practical test for research", and gradually took it up to about 135. Obviously you're dealing with some wind already at that point, so I'm being careful (my version of it). And it's an empty 4 lane highway, so I don't think I have anything to worry about, so I just decide to go for it, and crank the throttle back, like I was used to doing on my old K75S. It does an unexpected wheelie, starting from like 130mph. Fortunately I'm a veteran rider, but I won't lie, it scared the hell out of me. I let off the throttle and got the wheel back down, praying to god that the moment the front wheel landed wasn't my last memory in life, slowed down to 60, and gave some serious thought to whether discretion really was the better part of valor.

Last edited:
Re. Bikes. Some time ago I joined a local triathalon club at the Y. I got tired of little old ladies, leaning over their aero-bars, cruising past me on my old "comfort" bike. So I bought this weird thing from the E-Bay.

1687289476598.jpeg

The adjustable geometry was cool, and the ride, sitting on that carbon fiber beam, was comfortable, but it's a little heavy. And, it turns out, up to a certain point (that I was well short of) it's not the ride but the rider :)

EDIT: Ah, I see y'all were talking about motorcycles, not bicycles. (As if, in this amusing kind of free-associative thread, relevance is relevant :))

Last edited:
This is what you need.

It's a brand new type of bicycle that's so futuristic that it doesn't have wheels, drive on the ground, require pedaling, etc.

I can only imagine the look of terror from those old ladies if you showed up to the YMCA in this.

Yeah, that's almost the same bike as the Mille R, spec wise. Not sure why it's so pricey though. You can get a 999s for like 20k used.

Look, there is no such thing as "too much bike" for me, but I do have to say, these bikes are not ideal for a daily driver in a crowded city. Lol.

I have a story about that bike though, and it's one that contributed to my selling it. It was so fantastic that I was unquestionably going to die on it.

So one night, I'm out on the 101 I think, and nobody is out there. It's like 3 am, and I just got the bike a few weeks earlier. I decide to give that 198 mph top speed a "practical test for research", and gradually took it up to about 135. Obviously you're dealing with some wind already at that point, so I'm being careful (my version of it). And it's an empty 4 lane highway, so I don't think I have anything to worry about, so I just decide to go for it, and crank the throttle back, like I was used to doing on my old K75S. It does an unexpected wheelie, starting from like 130mph. Fortunately I'm a veteran rider, but I won't lie, it scared the hell out of me. I let off the throttle and got the wheel back down, praying to god that the moment the front wheel landed wasn't my last memory in life, slowed down to 60, and gave some serious thought to whether discretion really was the better part of valor.
I have the race kit in mine with an aftermarket pipe and filter... After a few months, about the best I could ever get out of it was just under 140. Probably 138 but there is definitely no power left to pop a wheelie at 138 but by GOD... It really does own the corners ONCE you actually LEARN how to take it through a corner CORRECTLY. LOL.

The last model Buell however... 1125R? It can definitely still pull a wheelie when you're in the 100s and EBRs newest models? Oh yeah.

*NOTE: Sorry... Couldn't help but talk a little bike talk. I'll stop now.

I have the race kit in mine with an aftermarket pipe and filter... After a few months, about the best I could ever get out of it was just under 140. Probably 138 but there is definitely no power left to pop a wheelie at 138 but by GOD... It really does own the corners ONCE you actually LEARN how to take it through a corner CORRECTLY. LOL.

The last model Buell however... 1125R? It can definitely still pull a wheelie when you're in the 100s and EBRs newest models? Oh yeah.

*NOTE: Sorry... Couldn't help but talk a little bike talk. I'll stop now.
You're not boring me. I always loved bikes, and rode a lot. I spent half of my early 20s just finding abandoned highways with hills and seeing how much vertical I could get. I really terrified a lot of passengers. I always enjoyed the look on their face when they got the helmet off. Like I was the most dangerous person they had ever known. It's in those moments, high above the pavement at 100 mph flying through the air, that time dilates, and one can live a brief eternity in a single moment. So yeah, bikes.

Ah god. Just went to the hardware store to buy a single wood screw, for thirty-three cents. The girl at the register said she liked my shirt--a salvation army-type retro paisley--and on the way out I decided to return and buy some Chuckles. She said she had never had a Chuckle, so I offered her the green one (my least favorite Chuckle.) Pretty suave, I think :)

Last edited:
Back