• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

character Friendo

Been reading screenplays, with an eye on formatting. And noticed that, uniquely, in No Country for Old Men, the Cohens dispense altogether with INTS and EXTS and - days and - nights. They, of course, by now don't have to sell anything to anyone, and know exactly what they are doing, so this means nothing.

But one thing that hit me, on this reading, was the supreme importance of casting. For example I can't read this scene without hearing Javier Bardem as Chigurh and Jene Jones as the proprietor. I typed out the scene in FD, and attached it here, italicizing anything that did't make the film--just a few lines and it is better without them.

It is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Occasionally, when meeting someone, they will ask, making conversation, something like "what do you do?" And the next time, I think I'll say, "What business is it of yours what I do. Friendo." :)

Edit: replaced my link with one to the whole script. The scene is pages 18-24)

and just noticed. In this one the formatting is what it usually is, so my original observation is probably not valid.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I have, many times, done such experiments. Trying out jokes or things I saw in movies. It literally never has the desired outcome. You have the mental frame of reference to understand the joke, but somehow, regardless of how popular the thing you are referencing is, absolutely no one gets it, and they just stand around looking at you like you're the idiot.

So the next time someone says "I just want the truth" at a repair counter or wherever, and you're tempted to yell out "you can't handle the truth", just be prepared for the inevitable scene that will play out. Mothers draw their children closer to them protectively in fear and disgust and panic that a "crazy person has been allowed in public", then a few people will just look at you blankly while their brains try and process the unexpected thing you said.

Soon the police will be called, during the period while you try to explain the joke to the crowd. "You know, A few good men?" you say as you wheel around to face the angry crowd encircling you. As they drag you out of the store in handcuffs, you'll hear them interviewing the crowd. "this man was at the cash register, and that's when the terrorist/bigot (depending on if the accuser is republican or democrat) savagely began screaming his threats at the counter guy. I remember it like it just happened. He said it in this light hearted, joking tone, with a smile on his face, which is a really weird way to threaten a stranger in public. Then he made sexual advances toward the entire crowd, telling us he was interested in "a few good men"" The seven policemen are nodding, and writing it all down. In the parking lot you see a man smash in the window of a car with a tire iron, and begin looting it, but the cops are laser focused on trying to figure out which terrorist group the slogan "you can't handle the truth" originates from.

As you are dragged into the squad car, the last thing you see is a person in the crowd making a joke. The policemen roughly thrust you into the car, and you shout, "don't hit my head on the ceiling" and the crowd member yells "That's what she said", and then as you are driven off for booking, you watch in the rear view mirror as the crowd all laughs and smiles at the comedian, handing him money as the news crews rush over to interview him about how great he is.

Don't quote movie lines to strangers in public. It doesn't matter how famous. You're never more than one "follow the yellow brick road" or "Rosebud" away from a padded cell.

Look if you want to be popular like todays modern thought leaders, just go out into a parking lot and start pushing on the door of your car as hard as you can in an attempt to open it. Soon a crowd of supporters will gather around you, shoving money into your pockets, helping you push on the door, and cheering you on. Eventually, the car will flip over, and the crowd will cheer and begin shouting "we did it". This will be reported as a great victory by a real American, and several corporations will step in to sponsor your worldwide victory tour. Fast forward 20 years, and you'll be in a highly paid political office, making decisions about the lives of others. The picture of your overturned car in the parking lot will be your campaign poster, and the caption will read. "vote for someone who can get it done"

Ha. Good story, Nate :).

Some stuff strikes me as funny and, yes, I assume everyone else will think so too. Last week at the grocery store, standing in the 10 items or less line behind a woman (with whom, walking behind her earlier in an aisle, I had been momentarily smitten, glancing, for a moment, where I probably shouldn't.) She had kind of a full hand-basket, and when she put an item on the counter, I said, "one." Then, "two." She looked at me, pulled out another item. "Three." And I quickly had to apologize and explain, "I'm just kidding. You can have as many items as you want." She looked at me again and I heard, "weirdo." So much for charming.

Re. Back to the Future. Yes, great example, Mara. What a tough decision it must have been, to dump all that work. But, of course, it was the right one, and one that certainly paid off. I heard Scorsese say, I believe, in his Master Class thing, that the most important decisions for him in a film are casting. Surprising, even a little weird when i think about it, compared to all the other million dollar mechanics of film.

And re. No Country for Old Men. Yea, at this point, for Joel and Ethan, there is no question about who is going to direct. There might be a little sucking up to the money dudes, but probably not much.

And, there are a lot of things I love about the movie. First, the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy is so pure and respectful, unlike other films where lesser writers re-write greater ones (like, for example, Blade Runner.) The Cohens did throw in the dog, which wasn't in the novel. I saw them on an old Charlie Rose, with Josh and Javier, and they were a little nervous about it, saying that McCarthy, at a screening, didn't seem to mind. And that scene above is just stunning. I won't bother to explain why; it's pretty transparent. (Another little bit, a line reading, that gets me: the trailer park lady saying, "Did you not hear me? We can't give out no int-formation," standing her ground with Chigurh--a mistake, later we see her feet sticking out, Wicked Witch of the West style, from under the counter, lol.)

And re. Charlie Rose. Don't you hate when some little neurotic imaginary scene, that is virtually impossible, becomes actually impossible? I will never sit with Charlie around that wooden table, talking about my movie. Why oh why oh why did you, Charlie Rose, have to turn out to be such a tremendous bung hole? Oh well.

Last edited:
Ha. Good story, Nate :).

Some stuff strikes me as funny and, yes, I assume everyone else will think so too. Last week at the grocery store, standing in the 10 items or less line behind a woman (with whom, walking behind her earlier in an aisle, I had been momentarily smitten, glancing, for a moment, where I probably shouldn't.) She had kind of a full hand-basket, and when she put an item on the counter, I said, "one." Then, "two." She looked at me, pulled out another item. "Three." And I quickly had to apologize and explain, "I'm just kidding. You can have as many items as you want." She looked at me again and I heard, "weirdo." So much for charming.
Lol, that's what happens every time. One time years ago I was on a boat, and another boat as passing by. There were some attractive girls on the other boat, and my friend who was drunk starts waving and smiling, and the girls on the other boat just kind of scowled and ignored him. He looked a bit crestfallen, so to cheer him up I turned and said, "You're gonna need a bigger boat". I expected him to laugh, but he just sat there looking perplexed. Months later, the guy asks me if I really think he should get a bigger boat. I told him that he should not.

It's from Jaws. Surely I'm not the only person that saw Jaws.

Been reading screenplays, with an eye on formatting. And noticed that, uniquely, in No Country for Old Men, the Cohens dispense altogether with INTS and EXTS and - days and - nights. They, of course, by now don't have to sell anything to anyone, and know exactly what they are doing, so this means nothing.
Are we reading the same script? I see PLENTY of INTs and EXTs in this script along with PLENTY of DAYs and NIGHTs.

What am I missing?

You're saying they dispense with it ALTOGETHER and it is clear as day that they DO NOT. LOL. Again, what am I missing?

I'm being facetious here... The reason you're not seeing this script CONTAMINATED with INTs, EXTs, DAYs, and NIGHTs is because it's NOT necessary when you're using SECONDARY SCENE HEADINGS to direct the reading within the same scene.

Lol, that's what happens every time. One time years ago I was on a boat, and another boat as passing by. There were some attractive girls on the other boat, and my friend who was drunk starts waving and smiling, and the girls on the other boat just kind of scowled and ignored him. He looked a bit crestfallen, so to cheer him up I turned and said, "You're gonna need a bigger boat". I expected him to laugh, but he just sat there looking perplexed. Months later, the guy asks me if I really think he should get a bigger boat. I told him that he should not.

Nate is this you at parties

😄 😄 😄

Last edited:

It's funny how some movies can completely escape the consciousness of some people. This afternoon, a minor incident prompted me to link it to a scene in the movie Amélie. This was the highest grossing movie in France in the year it was released (2001), has a swathe of cover versions of its sound-track on YouTube, stars one of France's best-known actresses (Audrey Tautou)... and my young French colleague has never seen it, never heard of it, and doesn't know the actress. :shocked:

Fair enough, I think, she was only a toddler when it came out ... but then my right-hand-woman (French), same age as me, admitted that she's never seen the movie either, and didn't even recognise the name. :eek:

Obviously my reference to the throwaway line uttered by one of the most minor characters was well lost on my audience. :(

Nate is this you at parties

😄 😄 😄

wish they had the full sketch on youtube

Surprisingly accurate. Though in my defense, I am far to young and vibrant to have any memories of toothpaste based television. I was however unfortunate enough to catch the very end of syndication reruns as a child, and as a result I now know about shows such as The Love Boat, Automan, Manimal, and In Search of. I cannot stress this enough people. Do not tell anyone you have seen an episode of The Love Boat. They immediately start measuring you with a tape measure, and their friend starts singing "Danny Boy" and digging a hole.

When I was 33, a 25 year old told me I was "getting too old to be relevant"

It's funny how some movies can completely escape the consciousness of some people. This afternoon, a minor incident prompted me to link it to a scene in the movie Amélie. This was the highest grossing movie in France in the year it was released (2001), has a swathe of cover versions of its sound-track on YouTube, stars one of France's best-known actresses (Audrey Tautou)... and my young French colleague has never seen it, never heard of it, and doesn't know the actress. :shocked:

Fair enough, I think, she was only a toddler when it came out ... but then my right-hand-woman (French), same age as me, admitted that she's never seen the movie either, and didn't even recognise the name. :eek:

Obviously my reference to the throwaway line uttered by one of the most minor characters was well lost on my audience. :(
You're just talking to the wrong people. Go to a northern California film school and talk to a grad student. Amellie is literally their favorite film. They go on about it at great lengths, buy vespas, book vacations to france, etc. It's legendary. The one with the portrait shot and green background.

Surprisingly accurate. Though in my defense, I am far to young and vibrant to have any memories of toothpaste based television. I was however unfortunate enough to catch the very end of syndication reruns as a child, and as a result I now know about shows such as The Love Boat, Automan, Manimal, and In Search of. I cannot stress this enough people. Do not tell anyone you have seen an episode of The Love Boat. They immediately start measuring you with a tape measure, and their friend starts singing "Danny Boy" and digging a hole.

When I was 33, a 25 year old told me I was "getting too old to be relevant"
Well shit if its that accurate I went ahead and hunted down the official netflix timestamp, cause its a funny as hell sketch

Season 1 Epsiode 3 11:40

I never saw an episode of the love boat, but i did binge watch some happy days and cosby show.

Last edited:
Well shit if its that accurate I went ahead and hunted down the official netflix timestamp, cause its a funny as hell sketch

Season 1 Epsiode 3 11:40

I never saw an episode of the love boat, but i did binge watch some happy days and cosby

"You're soaking in it" :)
Palmolive? LOLOLOL.

I never saw an episode of the love boat, but i did binge watch some happy days and cosby show.
You don't need to see any episodes of the Love Boat. It's just awful. Not that I've seen it. I'm more into Soundgarden. Wait, still too old. I mean I'm into Maroon 5 and the films of John Favreau. Wait, still too old. I don't watch films or listen to music, I just watch tik tok videos of the Wendsday dance. Ok, perfect, I'm now young enough to interact socially with other humans.

Back