• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

film composer for free

Mat, nice work but I have one question. and forgive me if it was already mentioned but how can you charge a 1 or 2 points for commerical films if the music you are creating is copyrighted material? I've heard many of these songs in the past. Unless you are the orriginal composer of "Flight of the bumblebee" (Nikolai Rimsky)?

dear flori

so you see with the eyes of a composer, which one?
No composer is the same flori, to think that they are or that things should be done a certain way and only that way, is a very pompous, arrogant and ignorant accademic attitude.

How many films have you been hired for in the last 6 months?
cause my grand total is 40
including a possible 6 from satire and 3 from sirlao.
there are also 10 computer games for lao's 3 films.
since both john and lao met me in the space of a month that makes 19 feature length scores in a month.

Unless you have been offered this number of feature length scores in one month then go away.

You called me a LIAR without justification, and that is EXTREEMLY disrespectful.

goldfish

Flight of the bumble bee is in the PUBLIC DOMAIN. Anyone can do whatever they want with it. That's why many have.
All the music at mp3.com is free.

What i am charging for is original music (that i and i alone compose, similar to my album "film themes" The company that orders it, owns the track, as is standard practice in the film industry).
Mp3.com does not let copyrighted material on their site as they are liable for broadcasting violations.

flori

there's no point in carrying on this argument since you said yourself that the music was fine, and since this thread is about the music and not about how i respond to people who accuse me of lying, we should just sit back and wait and see what happens.
Both yourself and marino accused me of lying so i had to respond, i hope you understand that

no hard feelings
matt

Sorry but, show me one Composer who can write 19 featured Scores in 9 Month, sorry that is just not possible!
not even JW could do that,

and well if you have 40 featured its fine for you, but i don't believe untill you show that you are not lying to us, ;)

and you mean to write that down isn't arrogant? who cares how much you write for?

I just beat up a line now and end this conversation, do what you want to do, life your "dream" and we all will praise you one day, cause you are the best composer i've ever seen ;)

guy wake up, and that where my last 3 words for you,

right flori

i didn't mean write 19 in a month you, misread that. I meant offered in a month, asked to do.
Those 19 films span over the next 5-10 years.
I can only score one every 2 weeks
that's 60 mins of music at an hour a minute meaning 120 hours of work (cause i try several different pieces before i'm happy) which at 10 hours a day is a little over 12 days.

But, you're right the music's fine so lets leave things at that.

great! :)

and here's the trailer of a film i've just been asked to do, take a look.
www.deeperthany.com
(the music in it isn't mine, but i will be writing the score for it)
It’s a touching and funny documentary about eccentric old people (according to the director)

i am well aware of that flori. My higher budget features are either hiring orchestras, or studios equiped with decent samplers. I myself am planning to apply for a grant to put towards purchasing gigastudio and gigasampler along with samples provided by east west studios (the equipment used in lord of the rings)
The lower budget features have heard worse and are more than happy with what i can provide at the moment. Obviously i am upgrading as time and money allow, theme 10 was what came with my computer, "a film theme" was written with £25 of samples.
Obviously i am upgrading as funding and time allows. but most of my higer calibre clients can afford to hire the appropriate people and equipment.

The main reason why i am hired by the hi flyers is due to my potential

what i am producing with the cheap *rap that came with my computer is pretty good, what i could produce with the proper equipment would be something much much better.
so those companies with music departments or acces to decent equipment are taking a look at me.

the amateur and semi pro films are happy with anything that is reasonably passable.

You said it yourself, my music is alright. and for everyone appart from the oscar comittee, alright is fine for them.

obviously most people in a top end position don't believe that anyone would want me, but i ask you
how many 18 year olds have written playable concertos that require the greatest soloists?
And how many of them are, at the same time , writing music for people ranging from hw professionals to schoolkids?
i am the only person, my age, i have come across doing this.
i mean paul sorensen (a musician with a masters degree in music and an la career) came to me for advice on synthesis and midi equipment so i don't think i'm really too far off the mark

a few thousand dollars should get me the samples and equipment i require
(about $5000 for the stuff used in lotr)

anyway, thanks for the advice.

Matt,

first please domn't call me "flori" its just sound like i am a "kid",

so you are the only one?
Thats not right my friend, here in Germany (The Country of Orchestral Music) i know some younger composers wich write very good for them ages! believe me,
And it gives minimum a hundred young composers and they are much talented as you are,
i can't understand you haven't already just one real orchestra demo ;)
I'm 3 years a composer now and i have done it, for nothing... i had an concert wich was playing my Symphony nr 1, i had concerts with my chamber music but i can't find anything you try to make me believe in the internet, and Matt every orchestra and well musicans have websites,...

I think your Main Problem is that you are to selfish, i mean when i read this text i must give you a good advice, don't be so arrogant,

i had this time, you have it, but i've come down from my higher level and have work very hard for everything i want,... but i don't do it for Money or something, i do it cause i love it.

LotR had Gigastudio and VSL-Samples before it become produced by an orchestra...

I thought you changed a little but Matt i don't tell you the thing to anger you, but please come on a normal level, i looked at the URLs you postes, that St. Mount...... looks more then an unprofessional website, and never i can read your name on that, you must admit it makes sceptical, but i just will believe you, then for myself its not important for me what you do, its important what I do.

I won't answer the next, cause you won't learn, i can't understand that selfish hold...

Last edited:
alright mr linskus, i think i get where this is going, so in any case.

1) it is childish to make peace then immediately declare war when the person you have made peace with, carries on their path into the industry.

2) it is arrogant for you to assume that germany is the capitol of orchestral music particularly where mozart came from the much loved austro hungary, not to mention the fact that beethoven spent a lot of his time there as well along with every other great composer. so with all due respect, i think you will find that vienna is home to orchestral music on this planet.

3)i am the only one "I" have come accross. do read very carefully, words are so important these days, getting them right will keep you out of trouble.

4)why don't i have an orchestral demo? cause i don't have access to an arranger or an orchestra!

5)you think that you are the only person who can offer me good advice? that is very arrogant, especially when i have told you many other composers have told me the same thing.

6) firstly it is mount soledad love story, secondly you should have read the bit about him because calling someone who has studied at vermont, notre dame and several other good universities unprofessional is somewhat childish and frankly wrong.

7) selfish, you think i'm selfish, well that takes the biscuit! mr roach and mr darra are out on business this month so they can't defend my integrity at the moment, although you could read mr roach's lovely reccomendation. When lao gets back he will mention my being given producer credits and the reason for that. i am a helpful person as all my clients will testify.

8)insulting me with your personal attack, is that supposed to make me happy flori?

9)i cannot come down or up to a NORMAL level because i am not a NORMAL person.
how many of those fine talented people worked out the meaning of life?
how many of them are having their philosophy studied by published university professors?
i worked out a possible answer when i was 17 and since then there has been quite a lot of interest.

Life is a chain of events, the meaning of all objects in and including the universe is to carry it out.
Seriously, it is, cause we aint got a choice in the matter, everything we do is part of it.
(by the way my iq sits between 150 and 180)

Ignore the above,
JUST ANSWER THIS
you have no reason to believe me so i would suggest that you go away for a while, and come back in 2008 as i originally asked and we'll see how things have gone with both of us.
that way you can concentrate on your career without a threat like me bothering you with my forever growing list of projects and success.

I will never change flori, neither did beethoven, mozart or bach, so don't expect me to.
I will never lower myself to a level of personal abuse simply because i have had to work hard all my life and cannot handle it when someone scratches his arse and ends up working with a hollywood screenwriter/novelist and is supported by professional musicians.

just leave me alone mr linkus, you said you wanted peace, and i don't have the time or the strength to argue with you, this is childish and pointless so lets just leave it!
I wish you every success with your career, mr linckus
good day

new reflective piano tune made with new stienway samples available in 4 days at the usual adress
will update when released
matt

'sup, good peeps. (meaning both Matt & Florian) :cool:

Stop.

Set it aside.

_______

This thread reads like a trainwreck now.

It serves noone any purpose to continue this; neither at a professional level nor at a personal level.

_______

Matt... start a new thread.

Incorporate as many updates as you see fit, from this one. Have a Mod close this one. It is not going well.

_______

Florian... I see you have started a new thread already.

Don't poop up another composer's thread... especially in the Classifieds Forum.

That's where people show their (relative) worth, and it's not for another boardmember to poop on.
_______

If anyone wants to debate the finer points of musicianship, there is almost certainly a forum on the main boards to do so.

These are Classifieds... "looking for work", basically.

If you have an issue or arguement with a given poster, take it to PMs or e-mail first... not to the boards.

(Though in all fairness, I've brought it to the boards when all other recourse failed)

_______

This thread has been ugly for a while.

The both of you need to walk away from it... there is no fault.

Start anew.

:cool:

But the argument is long over.

A MAJOR independent director called James Wan liked my short film 'lost hope' thus i am worth a heck of a lot more now and my career is jumping gears all the time, the chances of me being a major success by 2008 are greatly increasing all the time, especially with those very nice endorsements.

You doo not run away from your problems, you face them.
Flori is just a NAYSAYER, everyone can see that, you will all have to deal with them in your time, they're usually called harsh critics, better to learn how to deal with them than be a coward by never doing anything to prove them wrong and discredit their career.
I will not allow one small minded person to de-rail my career. When a dog poops on the pavment you do not close the street and build a new one. You get a spade an clean it up. I prefer to leave it as it is cause if i do make it, the little mess will serve as a reminder of his arrogance and ignorrance, it's far more sporting to carry on.
wait a few months for more work to pour in, and wait for my two major concerns to return and re-rail me.
Then we'll see what happens.

You are both excellent musicians- but you need to learn how to relax, calm down, take it easy, and stop throwing insults at each other.

Listen to Zen. Despite your excellent scoring abilities, this thread makes you look very unprofessional. If I was going to hire one of you for large sums of money, I'd think again if I read this, because I wouldn't want to get in any arguements.

I really liked your Voyager theme, by the way. I don't think it's an insult to the original composer- I think it's a wonderful tribute. But maybe I'm thinking of it as a "cover song".

Excellent point, Spatula!

I've been reading this exchange with amusement and puzzlement. I wouldn't be inclined to hire either of these fine composer/musicians after read this thread. Professional disagreement is fine, in fact I have found a respectful, professional disagreement can help finalize an even better final project.

But this has slipped into personal attacks. I wonder if I hired either one of these composers, would they end up insulting ME if we didn't agree on something.

Just letting you both know what an outsider is seeing.

Back