Do we encourage each other enough to keep trying?

Here are a couple quotes you can use to give you strength. :)

A great artist... must be shaken by the naked truths that will not be comforted. This divine discontent, this disequilibrium, this state of inner tension is the source of artistic energy. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

You've got to take the bitter with the sour. (Samuel Goldwyn)

You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase: make use of suffering. (Henri-Frederic Amiel)

The significant element that is common to Rivera, Siqueros, Picasso, Pollock, Van Gogh and Frida Kahlo is the expression of pain. (Bill Cannon)

Seeing much, suffering much, and studying much, are the three pillars of learning. (Benjamin Disraeli)

I am a great artist and I know it. The reason I am great is because of all the suffering I have done. (Paul Gauguin)

Know how sublime a thing it is / To suffer and be strong. (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

Here are a couple quotes you can use to give you strength. :)

A great artist... must be shaken by the naked truths that will not be comforted. This divine discontent, this disequilibrium, this state of inner tension is the source of artistic energy. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

You've got to take the bitter with the sour. (Samuel Goldwyn)

You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase: make use of suffering. (Henri-Frederic Amiel)

The significant element that is common to Rivera, Siqueros, Picasso, Pollock, Van Gogh and Frida Kahlo is the expression of pain. (Bill Cannon)

Seeing much, suffering much, and studying much, are the three pillars of learning. (Benjamin Disraeli)

I am a great artist and I know it. The reason I am great is because of all the suffering I have done. (Paul Gauguin)

Know how sublime a thing it is / To suffer and be strong. (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

Living on the virge of poverty as a real life version of the Stephan King's Thinner, my true life horrors are all of the suffering an artist needs. I've waited on lines with homeless people returning cans and bottle to put together enoughg money to buy a 2 leiter diet pepsi. You should try it some time. Edgar Allan Poe died a starving artist whose books only got popular after he die.

CF, my high school had over 5,000 students and over 1,000 was in my graduation class.

I know a lot more than 2 or 3 classmates.

I've waited on lines with homeless people returning cans and bottle to put together enoughg money to buy a 2 leiter diet pepsi. You should try it some time.

You have no idea who I am or what I've had to do in my life. Want to know why? Cause I don't get online and whine about it all the time.

To address your statement: Why would you buy a 2 litre of Pepsi, diet no less. :rolleyes: Isnt there something better you could buy? Like beans or rice? You can drink water. The information I've gathered from your many posts about how bad you have it, tell me you have no idea how to prioritise your life, man. If I remember right, you were using your unemployment money to fund your film???? Don't you think it would have been a better use of your time to find a job. And I'm sure as soon as your benefits ran out, you were a victim of this tyrranical government that we are forced to live under. It had nothing to do with you spending your money on making a movie, when you didn't have a job. And don't give me BS about not being able to finds a job. There are always jobs out there. You might not want to work them but they are there.

I'm sorry to seem so calloused to your problems. But at some point you need to get yourself straight. If your life is that screwed up, maybe you should get it right first. Then you can give your attention to these optional things. Or if you've chosen to make it in the movies or starve, that is your choice. Not ours.

Now for my serious response:

Here's the thing - we should all support and respect each others dreams. So, to the Indietalk community and indie filmmakers - I love you guys and wish you well! To the original poster, Mike Cervello, I absolutely wish you completion and success with your new movie. However.................if you or someone posts your work, it's out there for all to react to, good, bad or indifferent. Of course, tactful honesty is the proper response and I think this forum is already good about that.

Beyond the forums, you can't release your work on Youtube, or Netflix and tell the whole world to be nice. Anyone at the level of distribution is going to get both barrels, unless the work is something really good. Of course, viewers want "really good" stuff! They want a story (or reality style doc) that holds their interest, the pace has to be fairly swift and the audio and visuals have to be on a level where people can't be wincing at the screen or constantly adjusting their volume.

At this mostly amateur level, some people will ask for Ray's stick ("give me your brutal honesty") and most others want a general sense of "did you like it?" and "what worked or could be improved upon?" Although, the comments might have hurt at the time, Mike Cervello learned what he needed to do to improve his sound from the first I CREATOR to IC2. From what I've seen from the new clips, there are a lot of improvements (both visuals and sound), so criticism can help those continuing down the road to future productions.

The smart filmmaker will use criticism as motivation. I don't have a reason to pick on people, so I actually take pride in writing up constructive criticism. It means I'm sincerely trying to help.

THE PAT ON THE BACK versus THE REAL AUDIENCE: (or how I thought I made a hit movie, when it was actually IMDB's worst! :lol:)

340x_terrarium2.jpg

Years ago, I released TERRARIUM to the indie community. It was 50's style camp (a nod to FORBIDDEN PLANET). I got a lot of pats on the back, comments like "the bar has been raised," etc. It placed 3rd at Mania-fest, so I was riding high. Lionsgate released it and boy did I get a slap of "reality." The general populace was hating it and I was getting a little defensive, because it got the opposite reaction I was expecting. It holds the distinction as one of the "worst rated movies" on IMDB. IO9 wrote an article on it.

That's okay. I learned that once you accept that "the audience is always right," the better off you'll be. There are ways to champion your work without arguing with people. 2 examples of my approach, including a follow up to the IO9 article:

http://io9.com/5662500/terrarium-the-worst+rated-scifi-movie-on-imdb-is-actually-pretty-good

http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=14513 (bold text intro and first 3 paragraphs)

What's the point? Embrace it all and take the knocks with your head held high. As long as you are evolving and getting better, people realize that everyone starts somewhere. Heck, James Cameron spoke at Ohio State and said his first movie was THE TERMINATOR. Of course, we know his first directing gig was PIRANHA 2 and it was pretty sucky! :) Everyone stumbles, but not everyone admits it. People will appreciate your candor, because it shows you're human.

Last edited:
With all of the negativity in the industry, do we encourage each other enough to keep going and not let set backs, a bad day, a bad production, professional jealousy, and discouraging family members make us want to quit?

In today's economy too, we face tougher times looking for both funding and jobs.

That is probably why so much media is devoted to heroes and hope. We need it as a survival mechinism.

Well I get almost zero support from family and friends, and that's still more then I get from the college! So it's nice to know I can post on here and get 2 pages of hate on top of that! :)

Seriously though, I don't mind. If I didn't love to do it I wouldn't bother. Plus, if a little bit of my work can mess up a few minutes of a persons day, it makes it all worth it to me. :yes:

You have no idea who I am or what I've had to do in my life. Want to know why? Cause I don't get online and whine about it all the time.

To address your statement: Why would you buy a 2 litre of Pepsi, diet no less. :rolleyes: Isnt there something better you could buy? Like beans or rice? You can drink water. The information I've gathered from your many posts about how bad you have it, tell me you have no idea how to prioritise your life, man. If I remember right, you were using your unemployment money to fund your film???? Don't you think it would have been a better use of your time to find a job. And I'm sure as soon as your benefits ran out, you were a victim of this tyrranical government that we are forced to live under. It had nothing to do with you spending your money on making a movie, when you didn't have a job. And don't give me BS about not being able to finds a job. There are always jobs out there. You might not want to work them but they are there.

I'm sorry to seem so calloused to your problems. But at some point you need to get yourself straight. If your life is that screwed up, maybe you should get it right first. Then you can give your attention to these optional things. Or if you've chosen to make it in the movies or starve, that is your choice. Not ours.

Actually, no there isn't. When you can't afford more than kiddy size meals, you are lacking in energy and the cafene in the Pepsi for $1.75 as opposed to $5 to $7 for a jar of coffee is what I can put together. I buy what I can afford rather than what is good for me.

This thread has gone balls-to-the-wall crazy. Murdock -- ain't no good ever come out of talking to a brick wall.

Also, I really want to watch "The Awakening". Scoopic, how do we make that happen?

Back