• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Disconnected < Film Release

NickClapper,

I'm glad you saw and understood my point at least.

I was speaking to the people who are in awe wondering how its possible to make a film for 35 dollars.

Like I said, under the certain circumstances it cost him 35 dollars. But for the people getting into film, don't go expecting to make a film for 35 dollars.

Like rab said, he won most of the equipment, knew people for the rest, had connections, etc.

That's not always going to be the case.

Overall, my point was, it cost HIM 35 to make. Doesn't mean it will cost another person. Its not really that impressive of a mystery. The equipment was already owned and the rest was from connections and networking. There you have it. That's why it cost him 35 bucks to make.

Aside from that. Nice job Rab. I enjoyed it for the most part.

You realize we have less than the average filmmaker? The reason we put the budget there is to help inspire people to go out there and ask permission and try new things. We only had one camera, one mic, and one tripod. The standard. And one crew member.

NickClapper,

I'm glad you saw and understood my point at least.

I was speaking to the people who are in awe wondering how its possible to make a film for 35 dollars.

Like I said, under the certain circumstances it cost him 35 dollars. But for the people getting into film, don't go expecting to make a film for 35 dollars.

Like rab said, he won most of the equipment, knew people for the rest, had connections, etc.

That's not always going to be the case.

Overall, my point was, it cost HIM 35 to make. Doesn't mean it will cost another person. Its not really that impressive of a mystery. The equipment was already owned and the rest was from connections and networking. There you have it. That's why it cost him 35 bucks to make.

Aside from that. Nice job Rab. I enjoyed it for the most part.

I think the production budget of this movie is relevant, and I think it goes without saying that $35 is not enough to secure the filmmaking equipment necessary to complete such a project. If some newb makes the mistake of assuming that the figure of $35 somehow includes, i dunno, a camera, that newb is the dumbest person on the face of the Earth, and deserves every ounce of ridicule and misfortune that might come his or her way.

And no, it's not that impressive. Until you've tried doing it. I think you're missing the point -- FCRabbath didn't win the lottery, with all the connections that were necessary to make this movie happen. He made those connections, and made this film happen. Seriously, you sound like you're just saying, "ahh, anybody can do that". Well, sure, anybody can do it, but have you ever tried doing it, yourself? I'm gonna step out on a limb and answer my own question -- no, you have not. Well, having produced a good number of ultra-low budget shorts, myself (and one feature), let me tell you that the simple act of pooling resources is a very difficult one, and the feat that FCRabbath has pulled off is incredible. Simple in theory. Difficult in excecution. And his film serves as inspiring testament to the truth that as daunting as it may seem, it can be done.

Last edited:
Shouldn't have stepped out on a film and answered your own question.

I actually have made a short film from scratch. One the other hand, I didnt own a camera, a computer, audio equipment, lighting, uniforms, locations, etc. I started from absolute zero and used barely any connections. I made the finished film for
600 dollars, roughly. From there it went on to win best in region at the first festival I submitted to. Since then it has been selected and
accepted into others. It just won the new York war is a bitch film screening. So I kind of do know.

Now, I never said his film wasn't impressive. I said a budget wasn't impressive considering he already owned all the equipment. That's all.

Shouldn't have stepped out on a film and answered your own question.

I actually have made a short film from scratch. One the other hand, I didnt own a camera, a computer, audio equipment, lighting, uniforms, locations, etc. I started from absolute zero and used barely any connections. I made the finished film for
600 dollars, roughly. From there it went on to win best in region at the first festival I submitted to. Since then it has been selected and
accepted into others. It just won the new York war is a bitch film screening. So I kind of do know.

Now, I never said his film wasn't impressive. I said a budget wasn't impressive considering he already owned all the equipment. That's all.

$600 is considerably more than $35. I just checked "Germanity" out. It's cool. You deserve the accolades you won. But it's scope just isn't quite as far reaching as "Disconnected", as far as production is concerned. I don't want to play some silly game of which movie is better, or more impressive, cuz that would be a dumb argument to even have. But I don't think you're giving credit where it's due, and frankly, I think I was right when I answered my own question -- I see no evidence that you've every tried to do what Rabbath has done (insofar as the grand scale of his ultra-low-budget shoot). I'm not trying to start a silly flame war. Congrats to you on your solid film, and the positive reception it's gotten. And kudos to Rabbath for making a whole lot out of nothing but gumption.

He got a radio station to record a fake radio show.
He got a network television station to record a fake news show.
He coordinated a whole lot of extras, in different locations.
And I mean A LOT of extras, considering the budget.
He got an actual police officer to act, in uniform.
And, he secured a good number of solid locations.

I don't know how you're not impressed by that.

Last edited:
I think were having a disconnect here. I'm not unimpressed with his film. That's not even what I'm talking about. I'm merely talking about the budget. Making the statement that the budget cost only 35 bucks isnt anything special to me.

I think were having a disconnect here.

Bah-dom-bom! :lol: Well, at least we can keep a good humor. So much better than some other debates I've been involved in.

But I am talking about the budget. Doing all those things I listed above, on a nothing budget -- lots went into that.

Anyway, I'm about to completely derail this conversation -- Rabbath, you need to take it down, in my opinion. You've got 1800+ hits, in how many days? And you're complaining about lack of traffic? Dude, traffic ain't necessarily a good thing. I'm a rookie to the festival circuit, so I could be completely wrong, but my impression is that most festivals (at least the big ones, which you should be submitting to) do not look kindly on a film that has been seen by the whole world on Youtube. Why would they want to screen a movie that everybody has alread seen? You've created a buzz. Now, take it away. Leave it for the festivals. The whole world can have it for free, on Youtube, later.

Just to clarify my point. I hope Monsieur Rabbath does not think that i was undermining his acheivement. As i've said before, the film was awesome.

What i ill say is that the production value of the film is much higher than $35.

Even if a total newb came onto this forum and saw that that film cost 35 dollars to make, i would expect them to realise that that is not including paying for camera, crew, extras or editing equipment.

All i'm saying is that if someone who doesn't understand the process of filmmaking has a script like 'Disconnected' and goes out a buys a camera and mic, ropes in some friends to help out...etc they shouldn't see this thread and assume that to make a film of 'Disconnected' quality will only cost the $35. FCRabbath has got by it seems on a combination of luck, contacts and talent and has managed to keep his costs from skyrocketing by getting everything for free.

But, normally, a starting film maker wouldn't be able to get all those things from free (i'm not even talking about the camera equipment, crew and actors). So to say that the production cost were only $35 dollars is a little misleading.

That said i don't reckon you need to draw attention to the fact. Let the movie speak for itself and then if anyone asks how much it cost you can blow their tiny little minds.... ooooooo

But, normally, a starting film maker wouldn't be able to get all those things from free (i'm not even talking about the camera equipment, crew and actors). So to say that the production cost were only $35 dollars is a little misleading.

That said i don't reckon you need to draw attention to the fact. Let the movie speak for itself and then if anyone asks how much it cost you can blow their tiny little minds.... ooooooo

With all due respect, I think you need to take into consideration the definition of the word "misleading". It's not misleading if it's the truth. The actual production costs were actually $35. That's rad.

This is relevant for exactly the reasons you mention -- because most people think it can't be done. But here's a movie that says's, "yes, it can be done". Most ultra-low-budget indie filmmakers limit themselves to scripts that take place in one or two locations, with a maximum of a small amount of actors, and nothing complicated going on. "Disconnected" proves that it's not necessary to limit yourselves in these manners. Sure, it's easier to limit yourselves like that, but not necessary.

Obviously, I can't speak for Rabbath, so I can't tell you his motivation for announcing the production cost. But in speaking for myself, I can tell you why I'm glad he did -- because it's fucking inspirational.

I don't have the time to watch the whole thing right now, but I just saw the first couple of minutes and am really impressed. I wish you guys good luck for the festival(s).

I do want to stress that this project was one big experiment. And glad Cracker Funk got that and saw why we did mention the dollar amount.
ALSO we don't really have connections, we only go and try to get locations on the spot and see if it's possible. Most of the time it's not. Sometimes it is!
The point of this project was to show that good solid projects were not impossible production value wise. The whole time we knew people wouldn't believe us but hey we got it done with budget and the film seems to be getting a descent response. *Outside of the writing* Which suffered greatly due to how many CHANGES we had to go through due to the lack of what we had and people schedules and the limiting time we had for the film. But overall it really was a small experiment that grew and grew. We didn't think it would work to be honest haha. THank for watching.

Last edited:
So, I am really curious who "we" are.

You have a bunch of short films, a couple childrens books, products being made in china... all happening really fast!

You also keep saying "we" and actors repeat in a lot of your films.

Is F.C.Rabbath really just a cover name for a group of people working on various projects and marketing under one name? Just curious.

((also kind of curious why an earlier trailer you say the project cost only $20 dollars to make, I have a feeling the cost is just a marketing thing to get it more attention. It was a good short! But if everyone thinks you made it for 20-35$ you probably figure they will just attribute anything that is weaker to "oh, but that is just because the budget was low"))

Things seem kind of fishy...

Last edited:
So, I am really curious who "we" are.

You have a bunch of short films, a couple childrens books, products being made in china... all happening really fast!

You also keep saying "we" and actors repeat in a lot of your films.

Is F.C.Rabbath really just a cover name for a group of people working on various projects and marketing under one name? Just curious.

((also kind of curious why an earlier trailer you say the project cost only $20 dollars to make, I have a feeling the cost is just a marketing thing to get it more attention. It was a good short! But if everyone thinks you made it for 20-35$ you probably figure they will just attribute anything that is weaker to "oh, but that is just because the budget was low"))

Things seem kind of fishy...

I think you're gettin ahead of yourself. FCRabbath is, indeed, one person. But filmmaking is a collaborative process. I don't know about you, Ivory, but when I talk about my films, I try to use inclusive words, like "we", to emphasize the collaborative nature of the process.

I think you're gettin ahead of yourself. FCRabbath is, indeed, one person. But filmmaking is a collaborative process. I don't know about you, Ivory, but when I talk about my films, I try to use inclusive words, like "we", to emphasize the collaborative nature of the process.

Hehe I'm a suspicious person >.<

I guess it isn't so out of the question for him to do all those things (and you can't "fake" directing or actually producing the movie, so he is good!). So he might not be multiple people, just a robot :P

Ivory : I'm one person who is behind on everything actually! Haha. If only my professors could hear you now. (last year in school) But i promise i'm one person. I just said we, as Cracker Funk mentions, because it's a group thing. I didn't make this movie alone. I just helped weave together what was already there - which is something most filmmakers need to understand about this project. Everything shown was UNEXPECTED. We really just adapt well. Connections are limited. Sometimes just going out and asking right then and there is better than organizing to film at locations or with people. You can make a movie with what's out there by just being out there at the right time.

Back