Dilemma

Firstly, I admire your attitude (in regards to doing it yourself because you can't find opportunities).

I would say though, if acting is your dream, maybe you need to move somewhere where you can make it happen? It might involve starting as an extra, but you have to start somewhere (you might meet someone who believes in you while being an extra). I understand it is difficult being a foreigner, but it is possible (granted, probably incredibly difficult). Personally, I seek foreign actors (I hate how american films only have American characters, British films only British characters - and their foreign characters are horribly misrepresented stereotypes) - but I know I'm in the minority there.

The problem is LDS is that you will not be able to post a narrative video online without any marketing, pushing, famous names, festival accolades and expect 100's of thousands of people (or even thousands) to watch it.

You can complain about how much the UK sucks for making films and how you can't find much of a crew to shoot it with but that just makes you in the same boat as everybody else. I spent years making films just to get into the situation where I could direct with a budget. If you want people to work with you then get involved in local work experience (just look) or look for some cheap local course. Most of the crew which I use for my shorts I got to know through making local promos and music videos. One of the presenters for a promo I shot led me to getting a few grand to direct a short from a production company. Luck I know but it happened none the less.

Otherwise if the promo work you are doing (you say you do those for free) isn't getting you in contact with anyone you could also advertise on websites such as starnow. There you might find some experienced crew wanting to pad out their CV.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to... But I wasn't aware that you were Polish. I can understand that there aren't as many avenues for you to get into acting in the UK, as the majority of lead roles (and those characters) will be English. Why somebody would cast a Brit as a Pole... I don't know. It's not what I'd do. But for the limited roles that may go to a Polish actor, there is going to be stiff competition. I would suggest that being an extra in Eastenders or Holby City would probably be a bigger boost to your CV than acting in your own web series. It would also offer great networking opportunities with actual pros. If it's an option, I'd go for it.

you're very wrong here... I was working on films like, last two Harry Potter films as a double, X Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Rush, to name few as well as TV shows... So I can tell you this... UK is not Hollywood, in the UK once you're an extre... you'll end up as an extra, UNLESS you stay far away from camera and won't put it on your CV. in the US they do take it as a "something", in the UK they take it as "nothing". Being an extra is the least respected part of production. Extra = useless people (watch EXTRAS by Ricky Gervais, you will get the feeling how it is like) casting agents will immidiatelly throw your cv into rubbish with extra credits... But if you have your own web series, it shows your commitment and passion for it, maybe useless but still you're more into making it rather than hanging around in the background as 1000's of others.

The problem is LDS is that you will not be able to post a narrative video online without any marketing, pushing, famous names, festival accolades and expect 100's of thousands of people (or even thousands) to watch it.

You can complain about how much the UK sucks for making films and how you can't find much of a crew to shoot it with but that just makes you in the same boat as everybody else. I spent years making films just to get into the situation where I could direct with a budget. If you want people to work with you then get involved in local work experience (just look) or look for some cheap local course. Most of the crew which I use for my shorts I got to know through making local promos and music videos. One of the presenters for a promo I shot led me to getting a few grand to direct a short from a production company. Luck I know but it happened none the less.

Otherwise if the promo work you are doing (you say you do those for free) isn't getting you in contact with anyone you could also advertise on websites such as starnow. There you might find some experienced crew wanting to pad out their CV.

don;t tell me about starnow... I was looking for unsigned musicians to make music videos for, for FREE to built up my portfolio, and my account got suspended for promoting my "business" - I repeat: I was looking for unsigner musicans to make music videos for, for FREE

don;t tell me about starnow... I was looking for unsigned musicians to make music videos for, for FREE to built up my portfolio, and my account got suspended for promoting my "business" - I repeat: I was looking for unsigner musicans to make music videos for, for FREE

What did you put in the advertisement? I have advertised for Cast and Crew through Starnow for several projects and they have shown up for free with their own equipment. I don't understand how you would have been taken down as there are quite a few adverts for crew such as these ads:

http://www.starnow.co.uk/Casting-Calls/Crew-wanted/Other/crew_needed_for_music_video_london.htm

http://www.starnow.co.uk/Casting-Ca...oot_music_video_part_ownership_of_project.htm

It might be because you were trying to advertise a business instead of a project.

UK is not Hollywood, in the UK once you're an extre... you'll end up as an extra, UNLESS you stay far away from camera and won't put it on your CV. in the US they do take it as a "something", in the UK they take it as "nothing".

Nah, extra work means absolutely nothing here, too. :cool:

What did you put in the advertisement? I have advertised for Cast and Crew through Starnow for several projects and they have shown up for free with their own equipment. I don't understand how you would have been taken down as there are quite a few adverts for crew such as these ads:

http://www.starnow.co.uk/Casting-Calls/Crew-wanted/Other/crew_needed_for_music_video_london.htm

http://www.starnow.co.uk/Casting-Ca...oot_music_video_part_ownership_of_project.htm

It might be because you were trying to advertise a business instead of a project.

because usually musicians have to pay for music videos, I did it for free... dont ask me... ask StarNow people... They're idiots. They thought I am prompting my services.

That's the "marketing" for ya :cool:

Back