Dilemma

As some of you know, I started a web series called "Fifty Shades of Blue" on my channel www.youtube.com/user/DiSparrowFilms

But, is there a point continuing making web series that you spend 3-4 weeks on one video/episode then get only 500-600 views with 10 forced comments?

I like making "Fifty Shades of Blue" but spending 3-4 weeks on stress on one video just for 600 views and 10 comments is more like wasting time.

For the first time I don't feel motivated at all to continue but I don't want to cancel it either. Dilemma

No support = no motivation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQxp4qZOIdE

:(

I've thought about web series' recently, as I've come up with a story that I feel suits the format much better then a feature film. Trouble is, I don't watch any web series, as they just don't appeal to me. But there are people out there who do watch them. As I thought about it all, I kind-of decided that if I were to ever produce a web series, I would shoot the whole series first, and finish up the majority of post, before ever putting out the first episode - much like any regular tv series does. That way you can set the release dates (even the time, if you wish) and have a new episode out every week. I really don't believe that your audience, no matter how big or small, would be waiting eagerly for episode two if they don't know when it's coming, and at four weeks, they've probably completely forgotten about it.

Not sure if thats how other web series' are produced, but it wouldn't surprise me, as that's the process that would most closely wmulate the production of a tv series.

As for low viewing figures, I'd guess you need to push it a little harder.

Are you making series because you want a lot of views?

I am making web series as I believe if you have "series" on your CV as an actor it shows your comittment to the project and good organization when it comes to production but yes views are the most important if it comes to web series... OF COURSE! no one would make a web seires or even films if no one would watch... numbers count!

I may be a bad choice to make an opinion, but I could only find your "Teaser".

After watching your teaser, Apart from people with hats shooting guns and a missing bill from the fridge, I have no idea what this is about. What are they fighting about? Who are they? Who are they fighting?

People support what they like. People can only like what they know about. This means marketing. How has this been marketed? What's the strategy to get people to watch it?

I think there's something to be said for finishing something. Did you promise people a minimum number of episodes? Could you do just a few more?

I think there's also something to be said for just making movies to challenge yourself, to grow and to learn from each one. As long as you are improving, as a filmmaker, then it is DEFINITELY worth the effort.

You know, there's a heck of a lot of filmmakers who pour a ton of time and energy into projects that get seen by maybe 30-40 people. It's not always just about the views, but is often more about your development.

Are you stuck with the current storyline? If you're not happy with it, is there possibility of shaking things up by REALLY changing the story? I'm just spitballing here, but what if you just went nuts with the story? Introduced a sci-fi element, like maybe one of the gangsters is actually a space-alien in disguise. Or one of them has a long-lost evil twin? You could get soapy, silly, and have fun with it!

I dunno, maybe those specific examples are stupid ideas, maybe they're genius. My point is that if you're not happy with the web series, thus far, maybe the thing to do is to change the web series into something completely different, while still technically continuing and finishing the series.

You need a better trailer that goes more into the story that shows why there is conflict.

Who is the hero or heroes? What do they want? Who or what is stopping them from getting what they want?

Also, consider cross-platform marketing to increase your audience. Have you considered writing short stories to sell to magazine of the same genre?

Have you considered looking into a marketing person?

What makes a hit web series? Others are more qualified to comment than I.

I will say though that youtube must have thousands of web series - how many of those are hits? Just a fraction.

If you decide not to do any more, at least you have more experience behind you and indeed you can put the episodes on your resume if they reflect well.

Study the difference between your trailer and this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQMXNwp8wo

Besides showing a lot of violence, this one introduces not just the heroes, it shows who the villain is and the threat he brings to the heroes.

Re-cut it to be more like this. Hire a VO actor to narrate what is connecting the conflict in your story. A good trailer goes through the first two acts in the screenplay. It introduces the main characters, which is Act One. And, it shows the conflict we will see in Act Two. Act Three is not shown because it is the resolution to the conflict.

But, is there a point continuing making web series that you spend 3-4 weeks on one video/episode then get only 500-600 views with 10 forced comments?

. . .

For the first time I don't feel motivated at all to continue but I don't want to cancel it either. Dilemma

Did you spend at least the same amount of time marketing your series as you spent making it? If not, that's the problem right there. If you're not motivated enough to put this effort into marketing, you'll never get an audience. (Having good content helps.)

Good luck.

you guys talking about "marketing" my series... what do you mean by "marketing" how? where? paying? "marketing" to me sounds like paying someone to watch... =/

As it was pointed out, your trailer shows a lot of senseless violence without rhyme or reason.

For instance if we wanted to introduce the character, Hit Girl in the movie Kick Ass 2, it would be done like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekram9md95k

After looking at the trailer, we known who Hit Girl is in the movie. She is introduced.

Your trailer does not communicate who your characters are or what your story is about.

But you guys can not compare my NO BUDGET web series I have no money on to big Hollywood blockbusters. as I said, it is hard to make a good trailer from 2 4 minutes "episodes". And it is not a cinema but YouTube. I wish I have $100.000.000 for production like this. I do understand what you mean but I filmed 2 episodes and that is where I have to take the footage from.

And trailer is not really needed on YouTube. I was talking about the whole series in general. Not only the trailer... But I do get your points.

If that's all you have from your pilot, the pilot was poorly scripted. It should have been scripted to introduce your heroes and villains and what the conflict in the series will be about.

Then, there would be meat in your footage for a good trailer.

But you guys can not compare my NO BUDGET web series I have no money on to big Hollywood blockbusters

Well... why not?

While the volume of material (from all production sources) is ever-increasing, a person still only has x-amount of hours in a day for recreational tv/film-watching.

The potential viewer has to make decisions based on time. What makes your web-series the more compelling choice for them?

These questions are a little more abstract than what you are asking, but worth addressing.

But you guys can not compare my NO BUDGET web series I have no money on to big Hollywood blockbusters. as I said, it is hard to make a good trailer from 2 4 minutes "episodes". And it is not a cinema but YouTube. I wish I have $100.000.000 for production like this. I do understand what you mean but I filmed 2 episodes and that is where I have to take the footage from.

I don't think people were saying you need big budget effects and names actors. MDM's original point was:

Hire a VO actor to narrate what is connecting the conflict in your story. A good trailer goes through the first two acts in the screenplay. It introduces the main characters, which is Act One. And, it shows the conflict we will see in Act Two. Act Three is not shown because it is the resolution to the conflict.

That's great advice actually.

Your trailer does not communicate who your characters are or what your story is about.

And trailer is not really needed on YouTube. I was talking about the whole series in general. Not only the trailer... But I do get your points.

A trailer isn't needed. But a trailer can help you gather subscribers and views... or not. It depends on how well the trailer is made. If you make a poorly made trailer, nobody is going to want to watch it. If you make a good trailer, people are going to get hooked and click that little red box below the video.

To make a good trailer you have to decide who your target audience is.
Study trailers and films in that genre, and take notes on camera, editing, and story techniques in them.
jqioIUQWIUEGFQQ)(*T$(TH)(QJ#(HR@($TH(H) Get your audience's attention as soon as possible. A creature pops out of the closet, a guy gets shot, etc.
Like MDM said, go through the first 2 acts without revealing much.
End the trailer strong. Leave the audience wondering what is going to happen. Get them curious.
Twitter page, Facebook page, Vimeo page, Youtube page, Instagram page, Website.
Share it with as many people as possible.
COUNTDOWN!!!!
Release the episode/film. Spend a day just going to all of those sites, and sharing it as much as possible. Tweet it, Facebook it. Just get it out there.
The episode should get straight to the point and be aimed at your target audience. Tell an interesting story with a solid concept, funny humor (seems like you're trying to do comedy), and a strong beginning and end.
Repeat.

Fare enough.

Let's compare apples to apples.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=50168

It introduces the two female super heroes and the villains are the male college students in their school. I strongly suspect the film was made by college students with no budget.

And yet, they introduce Supergirl and Batgirl and the villain male students going to school with them.

This is an eight minute pilot for a series.

Last edited:
Back