Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

Out of those blockbusters listed these are the ones I will see at the cinemas: The Hobbit: There and Back Again, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Godzilla as well as Interstellar.

This is honestly hands down the dumbest argument I have ever heard regarding a movie.

Ok... so they didn't really have to pay for any footage for the trailer... except a couple shots of a field. And the VO... at least they could have paid for better titles.

With all Nolan has going on, I won't be surprised if this is a throw away film... ala Signs.

.... a throw away film... ala Signs.

Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion, which may differ to others. And to that end, I wouldn't call Signs a "throw away film". Sure, it's no Sixth Sense, but I found it to be quite a tense sci-fi thriller.

And a good number of critics agree with my opinion.

Plus, I'm sure the studio was pretty happy the millions in profit it made.

Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion, which may differ to others. And to that end, I wouldn't call Signs a "throw away film". Sure, it's no Sixth Sense, but I found it to be quite a tense sci-fi thriller.

And a good number of critics agree with my opinion.

Plus, I'm sure the studio was pretty happy the millions in profit it made.

That's what is awesome about films... we all have our own experiences because we all bring our own experiences to the experience :)

I for one laughed a lot during Signs.

I put zero stock in anything critics say.

But do we equate a good movie with a profitable movie? and therefore a bad movie with an unprofitable movie?

How about a statement? Can a statement be wrong? :hmm::huh::weird::D :cool:

Yes, a statement can be wrong, for example: "The moon is made of cheese"

An opinion cannot, for example: "I think it would be great if the moon were made of cheese."

And, it sure would be great! When the Chinese start moon-mining, world-hunger may no longer be an issue. Instead of starving people in Africa, there will be constipated people in Africa, which is a much easier problem to deal with.

An opinion cannot

yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

More than likely, this trailer wasn't touched or approved by Mr. Nolan. These tend to be studio constructs used by the promotional department to generate buzz before the official marketing begins. They're set to a schedule and as formulaic as most hollywood big studio films.

I agree with Nick, too. I'm not exactly a Nolan fan boy, myself, but it's difficult to believe he would make a throwaway film. He seems far too serious about his craft to do that, if he can help it...especially with the budget it's liable to have.

From the linked blog by Travlis:

The budget for this movie has not yet been released, but with the enthusiastic press release from Paramount Pictures CEO Brad Grey and Christopher Nolan's critical and financial track-record at Warner Bros, we should at least see a budget analogous to Inception's 160 million dollars, if not quite the $250 million dollars allotted for The Dark Knight Rises.

If that's correct, it had better not be a throwaway film. Wow, in that context, it seems to me that what you said about it having to get itself noticed amongst that crowd of giant franchises, Danielassault, makes a lot of sense. Yeah, yikes, the premise of Interstellar sounds almost art house compared to those. So if they need to at least recover 160 mill or more, perhaps they'd better start marketing well ahead. =P

Then again, at least a few of those other potential block busters are doing the same, with trailers or teasers already being shown.

Ah, but I notice they're releasing it in November, not in the heat of the summer season. That might help? Seems like it'd fit right in with the crop we're watching this year in November and December.

My opinion :rolleyes: is that Signs is an excellent film, and the best M. Night has made. Though I haven't seen The Happening or The Last Airbender (and maybe others), so I can't say I'm making that judgment having seen them all. It's better than The Sixth Sense.

....it had better not be a throwaway film.

You can almost guarantee that it won't be. It'll make it's money back. "From the director of THE DARK KNIGHT and INCEPTION" will sell it to most people. I also think this teaser is very understated; I'm expecting vast panoramas of space and sets on par with any sci-fi we've seen before. People will buy in to it.

On another note, one of mine main gripes here is this term "throwaway" film. I can't say I've heard it too much before, certainly not towards a film of this scale (or Signs, for that matter). Why would anybody think that Interstellar would constitute "throwaway" to anybody? What make Signs a "throwaway" film? I can be 100% certain that nobody involved in the production of these movies calls them a "throwaway". It appears to me that, in this context, to call a film "throwaway" is to simply say that you didn't like it. And just cause you didn't like it, that doesn't mean it has no value to anybody else.

Regardless, whether I personally enjoy it, or not, I sure Interstellar will be fine.

Anyone else love the score for the teaser? Good stuff.

Yes!

Like an uplifting version of the Koyaanisquatsi score.

I like the teaser: it may not reveal much (or nothing), but it creates a sense of 'a next big step for mankind' that won't be easy.
With a different ending it could be an inspirational video telling us there is still so much we can accomplish. Or even an commercial for NASA or Virgin Galactic :P (I'm just making this up).

It's a teaser, not a trailer :P

I'm curious :)

Christopher Nolan NEVER talks about his movies and there is about 1 year till the release of Interstellar what did you expected the TEASER would be ? Of course it's not going to reveal anything , it just wants to put the movie out there to people to know about it since right now it's Nolan's fans only who are familiar with Interstellar and cinema enthusiasts .

One thing Nolan seems to be good at is keeping things close to his chest and if he has to reveal something 'show you my right but hit you with my left' is how he will present it. There's a level of secrecy surrounding his projects that is nearly on par with Stanley Kubrick's penchant for weaving a hidden narrative into his films (which I believe in as something he did) and by this I mean that with Nolan and Stanley Kubrick there is always something more going on than meets the eye.

To me, it didn't feel like a Nolan film 'cause Pfister didn't shoot it. But it's just a teaser. The Master didn't feel like PTA due to no Elswit in the intial trailers and different aspect ratio from his usual films, but I saw the movie and it changed my mind.

Back