• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Catwoman Short Film - First Look

Looks like you're putting a lot of work into this project (martial arts training and whatnot..)

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing. :)

Will Vincent said:
Looks like you're putting a lot of work into this project (martial arts training and whatnot..)

Agreed.

Looks cool to me! I'll definitely want to check it out when finished.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the move to the homepage picks Will :lol:

Zensteve - This is going back to a more classic catwoman, it isnt a retelling of her origin or anything, in fact shes never seen out of the costume.

Very good job Colin. :) I can't wait to see more from this. You really made this come off great and look at all the great reviews your getting of it. Way to go! :D

Hmmm...she seem a bit too excited to be wearing skin-tight vinyl, or "bondage gear" as she put it... I guess that's a good thing though. Meooowch!!!!

CBlakeston, mind if I ask what made you decide to do a fan film? I've always thought fan films were a waist of time and effort, no matter how good they are. I just feel there's no real upswing to them. I'd love to hear why someone decided to do one.

Poke

Hi Poke,
Great question. I've been making short films for a while. I made a crazy silly one, I shot a romantic comedy. I've done dark and mysterious. And i wanted to do something a little different with action and a great lead character. I'm just making it because its fun and to make a kick ass catwoman flick the way i see it in my head and hope people enjoy it.

I've a big fan of original work too, this is the first fanfilm I've ever done and I can kind of see the argument for making something similar but original- Obviously this is a no profit film so effectively i'm throwing money away by making it. But i'm having a lot of fun putting this together and for me thats a big factor. I guess it all depends on your motivation.

I'd be interested to hear why you think fanfilms are a waste of time and effort? Surely if I enjoy making it and other people enjoy watching it. It's not such a pointless endeavour?

Last edited:
CBlakeston said:
I'd be interested to hear why you think fanfilms are a waste of time and effort? Surely if I enjoy making it and other people enjoy watching it. It's not such a pointless endeavour?

I have to be honest. This knocked me down a peg or two. I have been focused on the business side of filmmaking lately, planning a feature can do that to ya. You are right, if it is enjoyable to the filmmakers and crew than it is not a "waste of time" as I so dumbassedly put it.

Poke

Plus, for anyone who's seen the fanfilm trailer "Grayson", about Dick Grayson, aka Robin, investigating Batman's murder... that fanfilm got the director an agent and a development deal. (I'm friends with his cousin). So, even though you can't market a fanfilm, it can certainly get you noticed and help break you into the business. It's all in how much time and effort you put into it (and a hefty does of "right place/right time").

I've always loved fanfilms for the simple fact that people do them out of a love and respect of the source material, not to try to make money... They're a really pure form of indie filmmaking, in my humble opinion.

~ Stephen

A fanfilm is exactly what it sounds like... a film created by a fan of some sort of pre-existing property... Some make fanfilms from comic characters, others use films (such as Star Wars or Star Trek) as the basis of their films. The legal implications are simple: it's copyright infringement if you attempt to sell, in any way, your fanfilm. This is because you are using licensed characters without permission from their creator/owner.

So, fanfilms are made for pretty much one of two reasons:
1. Because it's a fun way to pay tribute to a property to grwatly admire.
2. It's a good way to showcase your abilities as a storyteller.

You cannot enter fanfilms into festivals, and you cannot profit from them in any way.

Sometimes the owners of the different properties will hold contests for fanfilms. Lucas did this a while back, showcasing different short Star Wars fanfilms and/or parodies. But most of the time, the owners of the properties don't even acknowledge the fanfilms that are made.

Hope this helps! :)
~ Stephen

indierochester said:
A fanfilm is exactly what it sounds like... a film created by a fan of some sort of pre-existing property... Some make fanfilms from comic characters, others use films (such as Star Wars or Star Trek) as the basis of their films. The legal implications are simple: it's copyright infringement if you attempt to sell, in any way, your fanfilm. This is because you are using licensed characters without permission from their creator/owner.

So, fanfilms are made for pretty much one of two reasons:
1. Because it's a fun way to pay tribute to a property to grwatly admire.
2. It's a good way to showcase your abilities as a storyteller.

You cannot enter fanfilms into festivals, and you cannot profit from them in any way.

Sometimes the owners of the different properties will hold contests for fanfilms. Lucas did this a while back, showcasing different short Star Wars fanfilms and/or parodies. But most of the time, the owners of the properties don't even acknowledge the fanfilms that are made.

Hope this helps! :)
~ Stephen

It's copyright infringement if you don't sell the work. Just because you're not profiting does not mean it's not infringement. If I make Mickey Mouse shirts and give them away that is still copyright infringement. They own the rights and can use them any way they want. You do not have the right to use someone elses work just because you're not profiting from it. Lucas allows this because he knows it's good for his business. He didn't always.

Back