Can you tell me if this would work as a short?!

Hey again!

So there's this contest that I really want to enter for short films, where the winner of each category (drama, comedy, action, music video, documentary) gets $10,000 and the overall winner gets $50,000. Pretty sweet, right? Well it's pretty much open to make whatever you want, except the piece has to be under 3 minutes. Now, I'm used to writing/directing shorts that are 10+ minutes... so trying to come up with a full arc in under three minutes is seeming pretty difficult, but I came up with this idea yesterday.

IDEA #1: A modern adaptation of the Greek Myth "Narcissus and Echo". It would be an omniscient narrator telling the story of a baby, who's parents found him so repulsive as a child that they removed all mirrors and reflective objects from his home so he would never have to see his own face. His parents die when he is 8, so he vows to keep their wish: for him to never seem himself.

However, as he grows up, he becomes incredibly handsome and is constantly showered with compliments, making him extremely overly confident in himself. Everyday he goes to a Coffee Shop and reads for exactly one hour, and afterward rides his bike to a park, which he walks around four times before leaving. At the coffee shop, girls come up to him every day and ask him out, but every day he rejects them (in really harsh ways).

There is one girl whom has been watching him for over a year, admiring from a distance (borderline stalking). One day she finally builds up the courage to talk to him, she finally does and gives this long, pathetic speech about how much she wants him. He rejects her terribly (Honestly, I would rather die than ever go out with you).

He goes on his normal walk, at which point he is followed by an extremely angry Echo. Echo decides to get back at him and calls his name across the pond at the park from behind bushes. He hears his name, and goes toward the voice. He is stopped when he sees water, at which point he sees his own reflection and falls in love with what he sees (as the narrator says: "Finally, Narcissus had discovered someone who was worthy of his affection." So when he goes to touch, it disappears. So he vows to not try and touch again, but to not go, because he just wants to be next to a being so beautiful. And it ends with him staring at his own reflection in a timelapse.
I think I can cut this under three minutes. When I did a normal speed readthrough of everything, it came out to like, 3:30, so if I cut some of the backstory, it should work.

ANY sort of suggestion/idea to make it better would be fantastic. And if you don't think it would work, by all means let me know! I'm sure I can still come up with another idea.

I think the concept is pretty good.

Watch some music videos with a story, and see how fast they can effectively convey a plot. You could easily do this in 3 minutes, it just takes more work than doing it in 10. People can grab a concept pretty fast. I'd say 10 frames.

I like it as a concept, I think it would need some tight editing and you may well have to compromise by not using every shot you might like, but I think it is definitely doable. Nate's music vid tip is a good one, I'd definitely do that. Also, how much dialogue were you planning on? A less-is-more kind of approach? That could definitely make things easier.

I wrote a short story once with a similarly classical inspiration, and it won a prize :) off topic!

I like it as a concept, I think it would need some tight editing and you may well have to compromise by not using every shot you might like, but I think it is definitely doable. Nate's music vid tip is a good one, I'd definitely do that. Also, how much dialogue were you planning on? A less-is-more kind of approach? That could definitely make things easier.

I wrote a short story once with a similarly classical inspiration, and it won a prize :) off topic!

The whole thing was going to be mostly visual storytelling, with the characters in the story not saying very much of anything (I think the two characters have a total of 4 lines a piece) and the rest of the visuals would be guided by an omniscient narrator

For example:

NARRATOR
Every day he rode his bike to the same cafe, ordered a large hot vanilla chai with skim milk, sat down and read a book for exactly one hour. He then proceeded to a beautiful park, which he walked around by himself four times before leaving. At the cafe, he was constantly approached by beautiful young woman wanting to talk to him. However, these conversations usually didn't end well for the young woman.

GIRL
Can I sit?

NARCISSUS
I don't think that's a good idea.

GIRL
Why?

NARCISSUS
You're not my type.

GIRL
What is your type?

NARCISSUS
Beautiful.

NARRATOR
It turned out that the constant admiration had given Narcissus unreachable expectations. He undoubtably loved the praise that he received but in his eyes no one could ever live up to himself."

That's just an example of the flow. There are two other small breaks such as that in the narration. During the narration, the things being stated would visually be happening. Think of something like this: http://www.vimeo.com/9073623

I hope this can give people a better idea!

The one thing that doesn't work for me in this concept is the idea of someone going through their life without ever seeing a mirror, especially someone who goes into the city and to a coffee shop every day. Try going for a day without seeing yourself reflected in windows, mirrors in shops, restaurants, etc.

It might have worked with Narcissus in the countryside, but for a city-dweller, harder to justify/make realistic.

gelder

The one thing that doesn't work for me in this concept is the idea of someone going through their life without ever seeing a mirror, especially someone who goes into the city and to a coffee shop every day. Try going for a day without seeing yourself reflected in windows, mirrors in shops, restaurants, etc.

It might have worked with Narcissus in the countryside, but for a city-dweller, harder to justify/make realistic.

gelder

Yeah, unfortunately you might be right. I tried to justify it in the narration, saying something like "Sure, he had caught glimpses of himself in windows, but never saw himself clearly enough to know what he looked like". I mean, the whole premise of a guy staying at a pond is pretty absurd now. I don't think the greek myth is predicated on realism. It would more be able the story-telling aspect of it... not trying to make it a Blue Valentine. If I embrace the fact that it is unrealistic, and even emphasis it, do you think it might work?

If you can make me believe it through the actor always turning his head from reflective surfaces, maybe sticking to places that he learns don't have mirrors...but, it's tough. Human nature, I think, would be to want to see whatever drove your parents away - especially if people then started complimenting you. I don't know how it could go on for so long without wanting to view yourself.

But, if you ignore that, like you say, "embrace it" and just lay it down as the facts of the film, especially for a short, you can probably get away with it for the sake of the story you're telling. It's like shooting in one city and saying it's another: show a shot of a busy street and two signs that say "Chicago", and you're in Chicago, in the eyes of the viewer. If you establish your story convincingly, it might work for the three minutes. Dunno.

Good luck with the film!

gelder

You could make him sort of obsessive compulsive, and he has the diner remove the chrome napkin holder from his table, and he always dines there, etc. etc.

Back