anyone watching the new Project Greenlight

I was screaming at the TV set...and this is not a word I use freely, but the casting director is a "c-word." If you haven't seen the episode, catch the repeat on Bravo...it will make your skin f-in' crawl.

How this woman works in this business is beyond me.

Does the director have any freakin' balls?

Or the producers for that matter?

I'm livid right now.

How someone didn't lay into her and reduce her to a blubbering mass of snot and tears I do not know...that's what she deserved.

ARGH!!!

She freakin' went behind EVERYONE's back and cast her friend's client in the role!!!

And the actress wasn't even on the list submitted to the studio by the director and producers.

I repeat...how is this "c-word" working?

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:

Because she keeps here friends people working apparently.

I had never seen an episode of Project Greenlight 'til I caught a repeat of the second episode of the season Sunday night.

She did seem blunt in that ep, but the director was wanting to cast his family. Seems like a comedy of errors to me.

Poke

I love this Project Greenlight. The show is so funny that it's definatley more entertaining then the actual movie will probably be. I don't know about that director that they picked.

Agree, the director wanting to cast his family is a joke...but because he's so green, he should be getting some backup from the people around him, instead of getting stabbed in the back.

Just like the DP in season one who ruined a shot on purpose...the casting director should never work again. She thinks she's the damn director.

Even though the director is three times her size, she could whip his ass, which is probably why he didn't scream at her.

Please, please tell me that this isn't another reality show based on the film industry.

Actually, in lots of respects it sounds like the show is just reflecting the vast majority of the industry.

I don't see how any of the stuff mentioned is any different from agents/production companies or distributors who who either don't respond to reels/scripts or who return them unwatched/unread. I don't see how it's any different from producers who pay some people on the set and then persuade others to work for defered payments. I don't see it as any different from directors who get actors to work for them for free, promise them exposure and copies of the film and then never deliver or how it differs from actors who lie on their CV's about either their experience or their skills or who want to become your best friend the second they believe that you may be able to move their careers forwards. I could go on, but life is too short.

The truth is that the industry is full of really, really unpleasant, greedy, stupid and ultimately selfish people who only see the others around them as stepping stones in their own careers. It's a sad truth, because actually the work itself is more important than all the pettyness that defines it.

My own belief is that it is both fear and lack of talent that drives people to act like (insert your own bad word of preference)'s.

clive said:
I don't see how any of the stuff mentioned is any different from agents/production companies or distributors who who either don't respond to reels/scripts or who return them unwatched/unread. I don't see how it's any different from producers who pay some people on the set and then persuade others to work for defered payments. I don't see it as any different from directors who get actors to work for them for free, promise them exposure and copies of the film and then never deliver or how it differs from actors who lie on their CV's about either their experience or their skills or who want to become your best friend the second they believe that you may be able to move their careers forwards.

I actually think it's very different...

Agents who don't respond/read aren't working for the people they don't respond to. Just because you send someone something, that doesn't mean they have to read it. They owe you nothing.

People who work for free AGREE to work for free...that's their choice. I do that all the time. You get what you can for the money you have...some people can afford defered payments, others cannot.

People who lie to move their career forward are no different from a guy lying to a girl to get in her pants.

This casting agent was working for a director/producer, who told her they didn't like this certain actress. They submitted their list of choices to the prod. company. She went behind their backs and submitted the name anyway to the company.

This would be like YOUR own agent not reading your work...then, yeah, fire him.

Of if a producer says NO ONE is getting paid, and you find out you're the ONLY one not getting paid...sure then, quit.

People make their own choices, and have to live with them.

And honestly, I can't believe you haven't heard of Greenlight...it's a wonderful trainwreck of a show. Rent the first season on DVD...a true guilty pleasure...IF you're in this biz.

It's a rule of thumb: whenever there's a leadership vacuum, somebody will step up and take over. I think that's what happened here. Do you think the casting director would have pulled something like that if she was working on a Wes Craven project?

Gulager needs to assert his authority, or else he's never going to get the respect of the crew and he won't be able to get anything done. Part of why this happened was his obvious mis-handling of the casting sessions, and his blind insistance on casting his family for major parts in the film.

I did read an early draft of the script, and I think there's a good chance that it'll make a really fun movie. It's my favorite kind of horror flim, "comedy/horror". I'll go see it when it's released (and principle photography wrapped up in November, so it's likely to be released sometime this summer).

BTW...Gorman, did you hear that FFNH is back on for this year? Someone stepped up and took over the administration. Good news, eh? And check out my blog; we're shooting "Death Knocks" in two weeks!

Bob
www.futuredv.blogspot.com

I respectfully disagree...I think she's a backstabbing c-word, and that's just her way of doing business.

It's not her repsonsibility.

Granted, the director needs a good kick in the ass...but not from her.

I would have destroyed her life, if she was working with me.

:)

As for Film Fest New Haven...we'll see. I'm skeptical. I don't believe they're committed to local (CT) film. They never have been before...

(Sort of like the CT Film Commission.)

Time will tell.

The funny part was, she didn't want him to have who he wanted, what looked like for the sake of the picture, but then she used her own channels to get who she wanted.

That was my thoughts too indie.. personally, if she were part of a production I was on, I'd have fired her after the first week or two. But, yeah, it's just bull sh*t.. He gets so much flack from EVERYONE for wanting to use his people, which in this case was good.. but then she just takes it upon herself to get her friend cast in a role she wants her for. IMHO a casting director should only provide ACCESS to people that might be good for the film, not take control and actually CAST anyone, it's not her place to do so.

She's a lying, scheming, etc... b*tch. and I'm definately keeping her name on file as someone never to work with. ;)

And honestly, I can't believe you haven't heard of Greenlight...it's a wonderful trainwreck of a show.

Er ... I live in the UK and despite popular belief we don't just import every American TV show (Thank God)

Whatever, some people like reality shows and some don't. Vive la diference.

Last edited:
Gorman, thanks for respectfully disagreeing, but I don't think you got the drift of my post. I wasn't saying the casting director was right or justified in what she did, just that the fact that there was a lack of definite leadership that may have led to her taking control of the situation. She made the move because she saw what looked like an opportunity. Was she correct in doing that? No way.

And while she absolutely went way over her authority, I don't think that automatically makes her a "c-word" (but damn, she obviously annoyed you some...LOL). She's just an opportunistic Hollywood up-and-comer. The industry is filled with people like her; who can honestly be surprised by that?

But, had you been director in that situation, I can pretty much guess where she'd be right now...faxing resumes to other studios and filling out an unemployment application. And you'd be perfectly justified in firing her. Hell, I'd do the same thing. Most people would.

I think I'm more frustrated with Gulager's lack of leadership. He's wishy-washy in a funny way, and even when Chris "Psycho Eyes" Moore confronted him, he didn't react much except to be relieved he still has a job. I really want to see him step up and do a great job.

After all...I'm a Mets fan, so I'm used to rooting for the underdog!

Bob
www.futuredv.blogspot.com

clive said:
that "IF"... just as well I'm not paranoid or thin skinned, I might read more into it than was meant, but anytime you want to compare CV's pm me.

Yes, you're paranoid...I meant the show was a guilty pleasure for ANYONE in this biz.

I don't do pissing matches.

Oh yeah, I'm finally a MEMBER! I'm so glad I got rid of that stupid "NEWBIE" tag under my name! I just knew if I kept posting nonsense, it'd have to go away eventually!

Jeez, I've only been a member for a year, too! LOL!

For what it's worth, it should also be noted that this isn't indie filmmaking, it's small scale studio filmmaking.

Bob, yes, I do think I misunderstood...and yes, John has no backbone. I so want to see him EXPLODE! Hit a wall. Curse! Something. (Was that hysterical how he didn't want Chris Moore to use the F word?!?! What the F!)

But yes, she certainly made me blow a fuse. I think I have such an intense hatred for people like that...

I can't even go into it.

My therapist, lawyers and parole officer won't let me.

Such is life.

Project Greenlight

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:
I was screaming at the TV set...and this is not a word I use freely, but the casting director is a "c-word." If you haven't seen the episode, catch the repeat on Bravo...it will make your skin f-in' crawl.

How this woman works in this business is beyond me.

Does the director have any freakin' balls?

Or the producers for that matter?

I'm livid right now.

How someone didn't lay into her and reduce her to a blubbering mass of snot and tears I do not know...that's what she deserved.

ARGH!!!

She freakin' went behind EVERYONE's back and cast her friend's client in the role!!!

And the actress wasn't even on the list submitted to the studio by the director and producers.

Please let me take this opportunity to say that I completely agree with you!
My reaction was EXACTLY the same as your's!
I can't remember the last time that something on TV pissed me off so much!

I am a responsible, considerate adult male, so I am quite glad that my wife, who was also watching this episode, spoke up and said, "if I ever come in contact with that bitch, I'll smack her head off!"

Brothers and Sisters on this board... Let me tell ya something... My wife can and would do it! :yes:

Hey! We may all be crazy to a degree, doing what we do... But, we are the new generation of ARTISTS!
Paint is fine, scultpting is fine, etc... But filmmaking is the true art of the 21st Century!

God Bless Everyone Of Us!

-HAWKEYE

Back