> VOD Indie Film Distribution Exploration

Alright, with grrrrreat reluctance I'm beginning a new thread with my investigation notes about video-on-demand.
I wanted to just attach it to the other thread as a minor tangent, but this just keeps getting hairier and hairier demanding it's own thread. Sorry :(

Although this first post is a C&P regurgitation of the last info from another thread subsequent posts will highlight boiled down items of interest.
(IOW, there's a big difference between writing copy to fill collumn inches and writing to slam home crude education - which is my preferred approach: "Ten words or less. What?!"

Subsequent posts will examine individual articles begining with that FilmThreat Going Bionic series.

Have fun. :)

Another interesting VOD article:
Dated - Fall 2009 http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/issues/fall2009/industry-beat.php

By all accounts, the most successful VOD films fall into one of a few categories, horror-thrillers (Dark Mirror, Magnolia's Surveillance or The Mutant Chronicles), sexy stuff (like some of IFC's racy French fare) or star-studded comedies (IFC's I Hate Valentine's Day, starring the leads from My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

"The films working on cable VOD are going to be the films that people want to watch with other people, things that are provocative, either from a violence or stylish sense, or a titillating standpoint,"

It appears that if you can skip the dubious expense of a questionable theatrical release, the title and description are intriguing enough, that VOD only distribution may be fairly viable.

Surprisingly some filmmakers are ending up in better fiscal shape by bypassing the theatrical route. Joe Swanberg says the VOD performance for his latest film, Alexander the Last, was similar to his previous Hannah Takes the Stairs. Both were released on IFC with grosses around $250,000. But Alexander may turn out to be significantly more profitable because the higher expenses associated with Hannah's theatrical release ate up all of its VOD proceeds.

And another "more" current article:
Dated - Jun 29, 2010 http://www.filmthreat.com/features/22975/

Finding a way to get your film noticed can be as hard, or harder, than finding the money to make your film in the first place. Of course having certain elements like a notable cast and a “bionic” genre (i.e. action, sci-fi and thriller) will certainly help. But, you should have a clear idea about who your audience is and how you can exploit your product to them through the correct V.O.D. platform.

2) People under the age of 25 buy most of the content sold to cell phones.

Since most contracts with V.O.D. suppliers are non-exclusive, your distributor should exploit your film to multiple suppliers. Let me just clarify that point: Your contract with your distributor is always exclusive, but their contract with V.O.D. suppliers is usually non-exclusive. This means you can have your film available to multiple V.O.D. suppliers if it makes sense to do so.

Cool. There's a series: http://www.filmthreat.com/page/7/?s="going+bionic"

Another informative "definitions of VOD" article:
Dated - Aug 25, 2011 http://www.sellingyourfilm.com/blog/tag/film-distribution-contracts/

Good Lord.
The amount of data to learn on this subject is... deep enough to drown in.
Looks like a chock-load of undated FREE RESOURCES in that first left column block: http://www.filmspecific.com/public/main.cfm

I think this is enough to keep me busy for a week.
(BTW, did I ever tell you guys that the reason I got interested in filmmaking is because I DON'T like reading anymore, especially when a book takes six or more hours to convey what a film can do in under two hours? And what am I doing a sh!t load of now? Yuk yuk yuk. Life is funny).

Last edited:
Well, IT folks, after some more casual searching around it seems I've already dug up pretty much the bell curve bulk of what there is AVAILABLE ONLINE to know about VOD distribution.

I'm still looking for a Holy grail of a dozen indie films and their VOD revenue streams, but I'm not really holding my breath for that li'l nugget.

Short Sweet: Make your film, if you're wise, tailor it to the sweet spots of VOD, keep your budget stamped down, promote it yourself from the planning stages through final cut, upload it to a VOD distributor/supplier, then keep promoting it.

The technical aspects of VOD seem relatively simple:
- There are lots of distributors looking to separate a fool from their money, so be smart and they'll work a straight/fair-as-possible deal with you (go in like distro nube and they'll fleece you).
- You pretty much gotta promote your own film.

At this point, the logical aspect to shift to is simply "How do I promote my film?"

To that end, I'll begin with the following link to a list of what looks like ten decent links in a quasi-article:
http://www.shericandler.com/2011/12/31/top-10-posts-of-2011/

GL everyone! :)
And shoot for center mass!

shooting-fun-1.jpg

Ray

Last edited:
My thoughts on Ray's comment: You pretty much gotta promote your own film.

1) If this was a warning labeled on to every new camcorder, manufacturers would see their dough intake drop 50%.

2) If certain filmmakers addressed this as much as they do with gear questions, they'd be rolling in dough.

3) If you start with that quote in mind before you write your script and/or plan your film, you have a chance at some dough.

4) If you don't plan to spend as much time doing this as you spent during your entire production (script to post) you'll be owing a lot of dough.

My thoughts on Ray's comment: You pretty much gotta promote your own film.

1) If this was a warning labeled on to every new camcorder, manufacturers would see their dough intake drop 50%.

2) If certain filmmakers addressed this as much as they do with gear questions, they'd be rolling in dough.

3) If you start with that quote in mind before you write your script and/or plan your film, you have a chance at some dough.

4) If you don't plan to spend as much time doing this as you spent during your entire production (script to post) you'll be owing a lot of dough.

Your posts never cease to amaze me, and confound me at the same time.

50 percent drop? I guess you were going for dramatic effect...

...sigh..

Your posts never cease to amaze me, and confound me at the same time.

50 percent drop? I guess you were going for dramatic effect...

...sigh..

OK, 45%. :cool:

------

While I don't have any figures in front of me, I do know there are only "X" number of people that'll buy a pro cam because they actually have a job(s) that depend on having one. Others might have casual gigs that may pay for the the camera itself, but not to live on. The rest are sold to people chasing a dream.

There's nothing wrong with chasing dreams, but it is wise to include "marketing" in the dream!

I'd be willing to wager a decent amount of money that it's above 80 percent, if you're talking professional.

Confusing professional with consumer is a common mistake, though. And even then, filmmakers are a measly meager fraction of the number of average non-cinema-centric consumers that purchase the same gear.

I guarantee you that these major corporations would suffer no real loss in profits if "dreamers" Suddenly had a wake up call and didn't buy their cameras.

And, I get that you were just making a point about taking marketing into consideration, so maybe I should stop reacting to that. xD

I'd be willing to wager a decent amount of money that it's above 80 percent, if you're talking professional.

Again, I don't have figures or sources but I do recall reading that filmmakers who end up never making (or completing) films or a film that simply dies when completed is about half the market for pro cameras. This supposedly benefits professionals by driving the cost down.

Obviously we're not talking consumer stuff and I don't really know how much prosumer gear is included in that figure.

It'll be nice to see new numbers though.

As a bet, I'd say its worth $10. ;)

Alright, folks...
Although you are certainly welcome to keep sharing VOD intel, I'm going to punch out and start working on Film Marketing & Promotion.

I just wanna finish up here by re-posting info from my previous post:

"If you wanna build a custom car to drive around town for yourself and friends that's one thing.
But if you wanna build cars to sell across the nation and world you gotta know a helluva lot more than just how to build the cars."

The world in most every respect keeps changing.
What worked for independent filmmakers from the 70s and 80s (can you believe that was... 30, 40 years ago?) is different from what worked when Blair Witch came out in 1999, 13 years ago, and what worked then wouldn't work since the collapse of the financial markets in 2009 and the subsequent effect on employment (AKA unemployment) and the quantitative availability of discretionary spending.

Things change.
A lot.

Independent filmmakers can no longer just write, cast, film, and edit a film (building a car, essentially) while EXPECTING SOMMME random distributor to pick up their product.
You can't even get away with some mickey mouse internet seeding of video leaks and savvy chit chat.

Increasingly, I think with (and especially without) a distributor filmmakers need to know how to make the film (car), market the film (car), and distribute the film (car) all by ourselves without anyone holding our hands.

The whole process has changed - if you want to be an optimally effective filmmaker.

You can't really start out with your own idea that you fabricated in a vacuum all by yourself or with even a tight knit group.
I believe the most effective approach is to become an active (not token) member of multiple discussion boards and blogs intensely related to a project you are INTERESTED in developing even before you have a screenplay fleshed out and written up.

The world changes, and this is just what I'm developing, can't say I've tried a bit of it, it may look better on web paper than in actual practice, but does make for a reasonable argument.

PROMOTION PREP WORK
1 - Join multiple groups, integrate yourself, ping ideas off subject peers,
2 - Ally yourself with the top or second tier dog/power people of each group,
3 - Develop an idea of how the basic premise you have in mind could be integrated with the collective interests of subject peers (cherry pick/buffet style, of course),
4 - Only then begin crafting your screenplay,

PROMOTION of FILM PRODUCTION
5 - Begin seeding that you are in the development process of your film project,
6 - Set up all the social media sites your project requires: web page - linked to - facebook & twitter accounts
7 - Continue to cultivate relationships within and maybe among the groups as you direct interest to the project's sites.
8 - Get your film project shot and chopped ASAP before people get bored with it,
9 - Leak and promote information about any trivial advance, trial & tribulation the project has,
10 - Unabashedly "close the sale" on asking others to promote your film,

PROMOTION of DISTRIBUTION
11 - Consider ONLY festivals immediately relevant to the market niche the film serves,
12 - Stick your film in front of every podunk local paper's entertainment editor where the festivals are going on (even if you're accepted or not!)
13 - Shortly thereafter, load it up on your own DIY distribution platform. http://www.thefilmcollaborative.org/digitaldistribution.html
14 - Pay for internet advertising at all of your group sites and blogs you've been attending all along.

That's the rough plan, subject to plenty of revisions.
Revisions would include some estimation of about how many film viewings would I reasonably expect to sell and budget accordingly before writing (or abandoning) the project.

Don't wait until after you have a film in the proverbial can - AND THEN - start piddling in your pants "What shall I do?! What shall I do?!"

Last edited:
Sorry.

I wonder if our generous host here could part with some non-proprietary germane stats ratios of site visits to clickthroughs.
Maybe some observations on subject material, even.

I'm of the opinion that if internet ads really didn't work then big advertisers wouldn't keep doing it year after year after year, only the little desperate fools blowing their mad money.

Remember: SATISFYING the audience isn't even related to SELLING to the target market.
Sh!tloads of people PAID to go see Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
It sucked the first week.
It sucked the second week.
Yet people kept going back for the suck@ss third week.
WTH, people?!
The director, producer, and distributor didn't get the bad news, go back and "fix" the suck@ss film and re-release it!
So, it sucked for the fourth week.
And it sucked for the sixth, seventh, and eighth week.
T: DotM sucked for fifteen weeks, and will suck in perpetuity on DVD.
B!tch is gonna eventually pull in $2BILLION.

Whatever.

Premise.
Not execution.
Unless... you build a reputation for sucking, then you got a problem.

The biggest hurdle is likely conceiving a product a large enough target market is interested in.
Just guess at what the target market of a $500,000 indie film would be for any of these, in dollars:

Transmission-NicholasCarlton.jpg

20MILES.jpg

FATLOVE.jpg

FLYINGCHAUCERSM.jpg

Last edited:
ray sez: Remember: SATISFYING the audience isn't even related to SELLING to the target market.

This is what I've been trying to tell the gearheads! :)

----

Did you just make up those movie posters on the spot for this thread?

----

Did you just make up those movie posters on the spot for this thread?
No, Ma'am.

I made those for a thread very similar to the IT thread "Let's Play a Game" - but on a different message board forum.
They're from late 2010, I think?

I was just being a flippant turd and throwing those together.

Maybe I'll try some for our thread here, too!
Next week! ;)

Another two more for short screenplays I actually did write: AUTOMATED & THE MANSOUR CIRCLE INCIDENT

AUTOMATED-2.jpg

THEMANSOURCIRCLEINCIDENT.jpg

Last edited:
To add to this discussion I would like to direct you to the article I've been working on for the last couple months. It goes into detail and budget break downs of how to monetize and promote your own film, outside of traditional distribution outlets. Essentially eliminating the middle men in the process.

http://upressplay.com/new_model/

Take a look and let me know what you think. BTW, this thread is great. I will be posting this in my article, if that's cool?

Yes we provide you will all the information on downloads, etc... As far as prices, well thats a question with many variables, depending on the network you choose, and whether or not its a license price such as Netflix, or download price such as iTunes, or an ad split such as Hulu.
Cool!

From DiGi D.'s main page I'm unable to locate films brought to distribution.
Could you provide a link, or is there a page of the top/any downloaded titles, number of downloads, and revenues?
The VOD Holy grail I'm looking for provides data very similar to what box Boxoffice Mogo and The Numbers provides for theatrically released films, except for VOD.

Thank you!

20120309BoxOfficeMojoDataExample.png
20120309TheNumbersDataExample.png

Last edited:
Cool!

From DiGi D.'s main page I'm unable to locate films brought to distribution.

I have it in the main thread I created, here --> http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=38602 that we are in beta testing. We are literally giving indietalk to first look at the company.

The VOD Holy grail I'm looking for provides data very similar to what box Boxoffice Mogo and The Numbers provides for theatrically released films, except for VOD.

Ok, so you want to know what others have brought in from there films? Or you want that "look" on you page with us that shows your profits, for our site it will be, [*not live yet* sales.digidistribution.com/usernamehere]

If yes to the first question, we will not publicly show the producers profits, that will be up to the producer. If yes to the second, we certainly can create that look for the profits page...

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Nick Soares

I have it in the main thread I created... that we are in beta testing. We are literally giving indietalk to first look at the company.
Gotcha.
Beta testing, AKA: Insufficient data available.
Sorry, I'm a little sloww sometimes.

Ok, so you want to know what others have brought in from there films? Or you want that "look" on you page with us that shows your profits, for our site it will be, [*not live yet* sales.digidistribution.com/usernamehere]

If yes to the first question, we will not publicly show the producers profits, that will be up to the producer. If yes to the second, we certainly can create that look for the profits page...

Let me know if you have any other questions...
1. Gotcha. Understood.
2. Pfft. LOL. The look and presentation are irrelevant. I'm only after the data.

"THIS VOD movie was downloaded or watched THIS number of times generating THIS amount of revenue."
That's the VOD Holy grail.
Anyone can find that data from BoxOfficeMojo or The-Numbers fro theatrically released films, even The-Numbers has some DVD sales numbers, but only for wide release films.
There's nothing anywhere I've been able to find for small theatrical release DVD sales, let alone straight to DVD or VOD sales, in volume or revenue numbers.

Thanks just for following up, Nick. :)

Back