Deathworld: Application and Move in process (read this)

Is the Power Holster a Phase One requirement?

Probably not a requirement, more like a bonus if we have time, that could enhance one of the other requirements.
The only reason I'm really thinking about throwing this and a bug shoot into phase 1 is that they are very cheap in comparison to a lot of the other things we have to do.

We can test with the Camel spiders for less than 3 grand, and the power holster with fun and mods should be under 3 also. Budget wise, those are actually the two cheapest things in the whole movie.

Probably time for that "Deathworld: Phase 1 Requirements" thread. That's hugely important.

In terms of Wheat's thought on addressing the present. We are going to have a battle on our hands to get into that house. I need to raise 13k in a month to pull this off, and another 8k to get our paperwork in order for rollout.

Hey, I just noticed that house is in the middle of bum-f*** nowhere, 1.5 hours from San Jose, 3 hours from SFC. :eek:

Thus the $40,000 a month mansion for $5,500

I'm not sure how often we'll be able to hit the town after work in this locale, but an 8 person house for 6 grand in town is like a thatch hut with a portajohn.

Haha, the Deathworld Dolly Compound sounds like a winner to me!

On a serious note, though. Living in the middle of nowhere might become an issue if we have to start taking outside jobs to support ourselves.

Haha, the Deathworld Dolly Compound sounds like a winner to me!

On a serious note, though. Living in the middle of nowhere might become an issue if we have to start taking outside jobs to support ourselves.

In that type of scenario, the outside jobs we'd be doing would either come to us (digital content production) or be so far away that the distance to town is irrelevant. Remember you live at a fully equipped content factory now. We can get odd jobs no one person could get. If we send some guys to do an Epic wedding in SF, you're talking about 6-8 grand for a 2 day job. We can mill stock footage and have the marketing interface people uploading a constant stream to 10 sites. It's not a huge percentage hit, but watch that 5 spare minutes video, Multiply that by 20 times a week we could get a scene that rich going, calculate a 1% hit rate for sales per month(because it's unusually good footage), then multiply that by $40 which is our half of the download cost.

We will also have people in the background launching constant indiegogo and kickstarter projects. Simple stuff like my oil paintings, or the worlds greatest skate video, for a few grand a pop.

In addition we may also get sponsorships, and recurring jobs, such as a deal I'm going to propose to my lens rental place, to have us advertise them through Equipment demonstration videos each month.

But keep in mind, that's plan b. What we'll pursue primarily is angel investment for the primary project.

You could get that house from fight club on 1537 Paper Street. Maybe Tyler Durden will let you use it. Although it is in Wilmington, DE.;)

Yeah I know you want Cali and a lot of land too probably.

Last edited:
I'll go out and film it with the Epic tomorrow, but I can't process the footage until Red sends me the SSD reader.
I'm going to make a real effort to get this particular place. Once we get in, the rent is no worse than any cheap apartment around here

Man,

Have a busy weekend and the thread takes a right turn! Let's go in reverse order:

-- Man that place is out there, like way out. Although in terms of a best case, plan A scenario it doesn't strictly matter. Of course in the pre-phase, before the money, there is work to be done phase, well slightly different. Changes the idea of commuting in as well. Hmm.

Power Holster:

Definitely not a requirement, and I agree with Sin in principle: streamlining/trimming certain aspects might be necessary and is, chances are, the smarter approach. :) If anything it is a "nice to have," and not even a priority one at that. OTOH, it's gimmicky and fun a demonstrable object.

Still, here's my sort of train of though.

The holster is, essentially, a physical metaphor for the Pyrran mind. It's not just something they wear, it's part of them. Attached since childhood. It is to them as fore-claws are to cats. It's prehensile tail on a monkey. A cultural adaptation to an immediate problem. It tells a lot about how they approach reality and solve its problems. Bear in mind this is coming from someone with a nasty habit of obsessing over details that aren't always the most relevant. So sprinkle the appropriate amount of salt on this post. ;)

I actually never pictured it's operation (on camera) during the initial hotel room scene. One moment Kerk is standing stone still, the next he is pointing the gun at Jason's dome. There's something about keeping the audience in as much mystery about how that happened as Jason. Something like showing the ramped slow-mo of Jason's draw and cut out to Kerk there, already drawn (a variety of shot options here). Save the gadgets for later as Jason learns about them.

As far as the working design, I think the resources we need are here locally and available to us. I never quite pictured it working with an actual firearm (big time safety issues there), but I don't think it needs to necessarily. If it came down to it, all it needs to be is a working retraction, a build that Jason can be clumsy with for the "Q" moment, and several prop pieces for wider shots and such.

Design wise, it doesn't seem to me that Pyrran's would have sleek, glossy, smooth, curvy .. well anything. Think about the ship description; basically a windowless brick bristling with firepower. I could be off base and definitely speaking "out of department" as it were, but it seems to me that blunt functionality is the order of the day with their designs. I had pictured a simple pair of sturdy 4-links at the top and bottom of the forearm (think top/bottom as though thumb were up, pinky down) which forces the gun to scribe a slight arc from rest to firing position. With a simple prop weight isn't an issue and much of the mechanism could be within the gun body itself.

Of course I could be off in some wrong direction, and based on your other post there's already plenty to work with. Still, I'll end up sketching some stuff and tossing ideas around with a buddy of mine that designs robot limbs while he still has some free time.

I have an idea for the power holster. Imagine a rotary device that attaches at the forearm and elbow using a Rotary Spring as the central pivot point to flip the gun out like a switchblade knife. With the attachment at the elbow, you could adjust the tension on a release mechanism so that the weapon would deploy when the character extends his/her shooting arm straight out and locks the elbow. You could could use fiberglass to make a rigid cover that would act as a forearm shield and brace. Depending on whether you have the gun swing up from underneath or down from the top of the arm, you would mount the unit to the top or bottom of the pistol. I would have it swing up because that would put the pistol directly in hand and you could use the simpler underneath mount (fabricate an attachment that straddles the magazine well). For a pistol, you could use a larger version of something like the Ruger LC9, which is a compact 9mm with a very thin profile.

Last edited:
Gather round, gather round, as I bring you a tale from the far country of Los Banos,

Today, I drove out to see the Deathworld house. I drove through light traffic on a calm and scenic road to a romote town, tucked between the rolling mountains of the california coast. Before going to the house, I scouted the area for life support merchants, and found what amounted to a shopping center just 2 miles from the house itself. There was a Wall mart, a Target, a Lowes home improvement, a Taco bell, a Dennys, a Subway, and many other stores. Turning left down a paved road, I travelled a short distance until I came upon a road lined on both sides with majestic palm trees. I followed the drive up to a circular driveway, featuring a large stone fountain shooting water severalfeet in the air.

Getting out of the car, I walked up the steps and looked up at 26 feet of glass windows, sparkling in the sun. A well groomed man opened the door and invited me in. The lobby of the mansion was huge, with 28 foot ceilings. A dual curved staircase similar to the room in Matrix Reloaded led up to an upper level, an open walkway surrounded by railings voverlooking the downstairs area. Stepping down into the living room, I noted a large 55 inch television and some very nice sofas surrounding an open area with the same high cielings. To the left was an office, complete with 2 workdesks and several wooden cabinets for storing buisiness materials. To the right was a kitchen similar to those seen on shows such as top chef. The kitchen was the size of a small apartment, with 2 ovens and a large brushed metal refrigerator, plus a microwave built into the wall. There was a large marble cooking area in the center of the room, and cabinets circling the entire area. I walked through the kitchen and found another living room, laundry room, maids closet, hidden storage room, extra bathroom, and extra sitting room which opened out into a luxurious pool area inset into a spacious concrete patio.

Outside many trees swayed in the breeze, encircling a sky blue pool which the estate agent informed me was lighted at night from beneath. In the distance, across the houses acres of land, I saw some horses grazing in the field. I asked if we could choose to keep the horses, and if they need3ed to be maintained. The answer was yes, and no. They would maintain the horses free of charge and unobtrusively.

To the right, there was another building. I went in and found a furnished movie theater, A large rec area with pool table and ping pong table, and a second kitchen. There were also 3 bedrooms here each a decent size.

Returning to the house, I was shown several morel rooms downstairs, then climbed one of the 3 staircases to the upper floor.

Last edited:
Insanity. Did you get to take any pictures/video? Are there actually 8 bedrooms? What about landscaping, is that included in the rent? Have you considered the cost for utilities? Heating and air conditioning with 28 foot ceilings could get pricey.

'llo folks, Kami here.

I'll be your in-house tech support guy in my off-hours.

Here's my CV:
http://www.sllabs.com/

At the moment; I'm Nate's current flatmate.
I work at NASA Ames Research Center; so looks like I'll be in for a 90 minute commute into the bay area regularly.

I have a collection of classic game consoles, from the original NES to the Sega CD and original playstation.
Computer-assisted Robotics is my job and hobby.

Insanity. Did you get to take any pictures/video? Are there actually 8 bedrooms? What about landscaping, is that included in the rent? Have you considered the cost for utilities? Heating and air conditioning with 28 foot ceilings could get pricey.

Maid service, laundry pool cleaning, landscaping all included for about 600 a month total. Corporation picks up the tab as soon as it's able. Until then it's about $75 each per month for full service. most of that is landscaping, so we might do that every other month.

During the peak of the summer, central air can run the power bill up to a reported 300 a month. (oh no!, not 3 whole california pennies)

Water is free, and heat is via propane, and is said to cost around 500 per year.

Gather round, gather round, as I bring you a tale from the far country of Los Banos,

Today, I drove out to see the Deathworld house. I drove through light traffic on a calm and scenic road to a romote town, tucked between the rolling mountains of the california coast. Before going to the house, I scouted the area for life support merchants, and found what amounted to a shopping center just 2 miles from the house itself. There was a Wall mart, a Target, a Lowes home improvement, a Taco bell, a Dennys, a Subway, and many other stores. Turning left down a paved road, I travelled a short distance until I came upon a road lined on both sides with majestic palm trees. I followed the drive up to a circular driveway, featuring a large stone fountain shooting water severalfeet in the air.

Getting out of the car, I walked up the steps and looked up at 26 feet of glass windows, sparkling in the sun. A well groomed man opened the door and invited me in. The lobby of the mansion was huge, with 28 foot ceilings. A dual curved staircase similar to the room in Matrix Reloaded led up to an upper level, an open walkway surrounded by railings voverlooking the downstairs area. Stepping down into the living room, I noted a large 55 inch television and some very nice sofas surrounding an open area with the same high cielings. To the left was an office, complete with 2 workdesks and several wooden cabinets for storing buisiness materials. To the right was a kitchen similar to those seen on shows such as top chef. The kitchen was the size of a small apartment, with 2 ovens and a large brushed metal refrigerator, plus a microwave built into the wall. There was a large marble cooking area in the center of the room, and cabinets circling the entire area. I walked through the kitchen and found another living room, laundry room, maids closet, hidden storage room, extra bathroom, and extra sitting room which opened out into a luxurious pool area inset into a spacious concrete patio.

Outside many trees swayed in the breeze, encircling a sky blue pool which the estate agent informed me was lighted at night from beneath. In the distance, across the houses acres of land, I saw some horses grazing in the field. I asked if we could choose to keep the horses, and if they need3ed to be maintained. The answer was yes, and no. They would maintain the horses free of charge and unobtrusively.

To the right, there was another building. I went in and found a furnished movie theater, A large rec area with pool table and ping pong table, and a second kitchen. There were also 3 bedrooms here each a decent size.

Returning to the house, I was shown several morel rooms downstairs, then climbed one of the 3 staircases to the upper floor.

That sounds awesome! For selfish reasons, one thing I'm curious about --

Is it surrounded by enough space that it would enable me to just let the dogs go loose? I've got relatives who live in the country, and they don't have to worry about fences, or any crap like that; they just let their dogs roam wherever they may please. Living in the city, as I do, that is of course unthinkable; they stay in my fenced-yard, unless I take them out on a leash.

Back