Deathworld: Application and Move in process (read this)

+1 what she said.. but I need to finish the book to see how it "feels" ... FYI: I LIVE in the coastal range RAIN FOREST .. I can do some test shots walking 300 yards out my back door!

For Phase One (as I read it anyway) the outdoor jungle shots will be taken in the "back yard" of the "Deathworld Compound" as I shall now christen it. :)

Question: Just to be clear, the "demo" is to be in the form of a trailer?

The reason I ask is because I see a lot more success coming from films that started as shorts, then turned into features. Is there any thought (or pre-existing plan) of doing a short story, one that would mostly not involve any heavy SFX, but would tease the larger story?

Obviously, it would be necessary to also show the impressive SFX and bigger set-pieces, so what about combining the two? A short story, one that builds to a cliff-hanger climax, and gives us some glimpses of the bigger world. And then, at the end of the cliff-hanger, now it turns into a rapid-fire trailer that shows quick glimpses of the bigger, more impressive-looking world?

I like the idea, there is no reason not to have a STORY inside what amounts to a technological and capabilities proof for investors.

How bout this though.. lets SET it in the detahworld universe and on the planet, but not use any of the characters from deathworld story? Perhaps we can beg the great Mr. Harrison to pen a short story concept that we can develop into the short film? Maybe some interesting back story that he wasn't able to include in the original books?

Have you read the book, Wheat? I think in order for it to work, the characters need to be off-worlders, new to the planet. The book mentions in passing a group of six scientists who had come to the planet to study it; only one made it out alive. Fleshing that out could make for a nice short.

We have been talking about this for a few months now, really trying to nail down what would be most effective. Firstly, we'll call it a "teaser trailer" or equivalent so as not to confuse. A real trailer is cut from the finished film, so our current thinking is that we need to sidestep the impression that that's what they're seeing.

Right now the way we have it is, the teaser trailer is Kirk and Jason's conversation in the diner. Starts around "Just how much do you know about Pyrrus?" As Kerk describes the Deathworld Pyrrus, we flash forward to specific scenes that show off various abilities and carry the story, and wrap with Jason saying "I'm going with you" Orchestra hits, quick flashes of the most intense scenes from phase 1, fade to black, Incredible CGI deathworld logo.

That's it!

Last edited:
Right now the way we have it is, the teaser trailer is Kirk and Jason's conversation in the diner. As Kerk describes the Deathworld Pyrrus, we flash forward to specific scenes that show off various abilities and carry the story, and wrap with Jason saying "I'm going with you" Orchestra hits, quick flashes of the most intense scenes from phase 1, fade to black, Incredible CGI deathworld logo.

That's it!

Sounds awesome! I have to finish the book, before I can comment meaninfully (but don't be surprised if I try to convince you that perhaps there should be a bit of a story, before they meet in the diner). Again, though, my comments are almost meaningless, without having read the dang thing!

While I like the look, it doesn't really feel alien enough. Of course some of that could be fixed in post...

That's where the bulk of the work in this movie is. Many of us say that Pyrrus itself is the star of the show. The concept of this world could be extrapolated into the most visually alien thing ever seen. We aren't going to just go film in the rainforest. That footage is for compositing maps, which will then be used in conjunction with cg and layering effects to create a very photo-real, but very alien environment. Trust Your art department!

Right now the way we have it is, the teaser trailer is Kirk and Jason's conversation in the diner. Starts around "Just how much do you know about Pyrrus?" As Kerk describes the Deathworld Pyrrus, we flash forward to specific scenes that show off various abilities and carry the story, and wrap with Jason saying "I'm going with you" Orchestra hits, quick flashes of the most intense scenes from phase 1, fade to black, Incredible CGI deathworld logo.

I like it.

For the jungle scenes, have you considered any of the temperate rain forests in North America? There's one on Mount Hood, another up in British Columbia (Wells Gray Provincial Park looks especially cool), the redwood forests in Northern California, Vancouver Island, and even part of the Appalachians. Based on the images in the PDF, I think they might work, at least for the demo phase. It would also really cut back on things like insurance costs (liability's a whole lot lower working in the US/Canada than somewhere like South America) and travel/lodging.

This is an image from Wells Gray.

Personally, I always think temperate rain forests look cooler than tropical and sub-tropical ones. Mostly because there's tons of moss and we're less used to seeing them on film.

ETA: Also, I think I could have gone my entire life without seeing a "toe biter" and not felt the least bit deprived. Now I will never know for sure...

This is a good, interesting, and possibly cost saving solution. I think this might be a good option for the demo phase, but in the final film we need to hang stedicams from the 7 miles of zip lines that fly above the Costa rican canopies.

Zensteve has also complained about my bugs. Frankly I don't like them either. But that's the point. I thought, how is the audience going to be terrified of footage of something, if it doesn't even scare me in real life?

That's where the bulk of the work in this movie is. Many of us say that Pyrrus itself is the star of the show. The concept of this world could be extrapolated into the most visually alien thing ever seen. We aren't going to just go film in the rainforest. That footage is for compositing maps, which will then be used in conjunction with cg and layering effects to create a very photo-real, but very alien environment. Trust Your art department!

Haha, I have no doubts that you've thought about this extensively. I'm very excited to see Pyrrus come to life.

What worries me is the 3rd act. The hero solves the mystery of the planet based on the observation that animals do not attack each other while fleeing from a fire or earthquake. That seems too trivial to me (of course they don't attack each other, they have something more urgent to do). A sophisticated modern audience will expect something more complex than that. I hope this bit has been changed in the script.

There are a few scenes throughout the book that we've felt needed clarification. In each instance, we discovered that how the scene was laid out could make a concept come through more clearly. Another example is the scene where Jason gets this huge reaction from Kerk and Meta, over the of obvious reality of the shrinking population. We fixed that one by simply bringing a more intense emotion to the conversation.

Last edited:
For Phase One (as I read it anyway) the outdoor jungle shots will be taken in the "back yard" of the "Deathworld Compound" as I shall now christen it. :)

Awesome,

free location scout!

When we do the forest scene in the demo, we have to actually take giant greenscreens out there and some large rented lighting rigs and generators. I wouldn't make you roto a rainforest swaying in the wind at night Wheat, You're a human bieng for god's sake.:lol:

Wow, Nate, this sounds like a great project and a wonderful opportunity for all of us to see your diary of the production. Thanks much!

also.....
Kinda sounds like a reality show. Put a bunch of filmmakers in a house and force them to make a movie.

Could be a hit.
...I think Dready has a wise idea here. If channels like TLC, etc, is willing to program reality shows dealing with peeps building fish tanks and peeps dealing with 'monster in laws', then why not this situation? I think it'd be worth a pitch. I mean, you're journaling this in a public forum anyway, so perhaps you can get additional monies for post production stuff.

Kinda sounds like a reality show. Put a bunch of filmmakers in a house and force them to make a movie.

Could be a hit.

It's funny that you mention this, because we've been discussing it for a couple weeks now. For some of the same reasons bird mentioned.

No matter what, there will be some behind the scenes videos broadcasted, but we're not sure on doing the half hour format yet. I personally don't care for reality TV shows, but if it paid for the whole crew and advertised the project to millions, I doubt I'd turn that down. We could actually do an unusually good one I think. Who better to fill screen time than a house full of filmmakers?

Also it really feeds into the transparency concept.

Back