• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

xh a1 or 7D

I dont care about the price in this question. I need to know overall which one is better and every reasson why. the Canon XH A1 or 7D. Thank you for your time!:)

Having shot with both of your suggestions, and currently with the 5Dmarkii, at the risk of sounding redundant i'll pardon from the position princiciply of a writer, the minute understanding I'd share of the complete aspects involving your choices as to anyway sway your decision.

However, perhaps if i was to meander in the relms of the unknown and proceed in a way of not selling myself short, i would recommend the DSLR option, be it if you are optioning narrative work, and not that of "Documentary".

Last edited:
thanks for all the info. I rented a 7D myself to have a full overview. The 7D films in higher resulotion than the A1 but the A1 still looks sharper and less compressed. I think I rather stay with the A1, I noticed when I rented the 7D that the only bonus for me with it was DOF.

I rented a 7D myself to have a full overview. The 7D films in higher resulotion than the A1 but the A1 still looks sharper and less compressed.

That's really interesting to hear, NH. I shot my most recent feature with the A1 and was very pleased with the look I got (despite the deep focus). But I've been reading about the DSLR and thinking maybe I should've gone that route. Nice to get another perspective.

Back