The most in demand skill?

The most valuable skill in terms of supply and demand?

What do you guys think is the most valuable skill in indie filmmaking in terms of supply and demand? For example do you think it is acting or cinematography?

Last edited:
No skill is the most valuable. Every skill - like cinematography
or acting - is essential. And they are all in demand. A good
Props person can save valuable time in indie filmmaking yet
few indie filmmakers use one - so not much demand. Good
corrective make up is valuable skill especially now with HD
cameras. Every person with a DSLR thinks they are a
cinematographer - few indie filmmakers even consider the
importance and value of a make-up artist.

However, if I were to chose just one most valuable skill in indie
filmmaking in terms of supply and demand I would say marketing.
There are thousands of indie films made every month that are
never seen but for a few people because the filmmaker does
not have good marketing. Marketing is the most valuable/important
skill in terms of supply and demand.

So if you are looking for a skill to excel in, becoming great at
marketing films for indie filmmakers would be a very valuable, in
demand skill. High demand - very little supply.

Talent.

Not a skill, I know, but there are too many out there who think they're the next (fill in great directors name) and are just kidding themselves.

No skill is more valuable.

In as much as a skill where there's more demand than there is supply - locally, at least, you'd be looking at soundies and Hair/MUA's.

Every person with a DSLR thinks they are a
cinematographer
That's pretty much the reason I was asking this. Some of the fields have so much supply that getting any jobs is next to impossible, at least around here. I want to quit being a one man band and focus on improving in one or two fields. A better question could have been which fields have too much supply.

Last edited:
I feel like it depends on how good you want to be. There are a lot of camera assistants and DPs around. I get work because I'm good at what I do, and have a lot of experience doing what I do.

Conversely, people I work with seem to have trouble finding Production Designers, and sometimes Producers and 1st ADs and so are much more willing to try out someone new who doesn't necessarily have experience.

Just because a lot of people buy a DSLR and call themselves cinematographers doesn't mean they're necessarily any good, and it seems like some people are starting to wake up to that - so an over-supply of labour in a certain profession, it doesn't necessarily equate to an over-supply of people who are any good, or who get work.
This can depend what sort of work you're looking to do, however, as this tends to be more true of the narrative film/television world, rather than the corporate or wedding/events world.

What do you guys think is the most valuable skill in indie filmmaking in terms of supply and demand? For example do you think it is acting or cinematography?

Depends on the budget level of your project, location, etc.

For example, finding strong actors can be very difficult if you're shooting a low budget project in a locale that doesn't have a film industry. Conversely, in LA or NY, you can find a ton of amazing actors.

Same goes with most positions. There's a lot of folks who call themselves cinematographers who aren't all that great, but there's also a ton who are amazingly talented too.

From experience, I would say the hardest positions to fill are:

Producer
1st AD

The reason why is these are the thankless jobs that every production needs but few really want to do. Especially 1st AD - your job is to run the set and keep it disciplined. You are to keep the director on track, yet the director is the boss on set (so you are managing your boss, which is never an easy task). You need to know how to be firm without angering everyone (and sometimes you will aggravate people, so you're skirting on the edge).

All the talent in the world on set (camera, acting, directing, prod design, etc) is useless if there's no one to keep things on schedule and on budget.

Same with marketing/publicity. These jobs (producing, 1st AD, publicity/marketing) aren't really artistic or technical positions, but administrative, and often the least attractive (which makes them the most in demand because comparatively fewer people want to do it compared to acting, directing, writing, camera, editing, music/sound, etc).

valuable skill in indie filmmaking in terms of supply and demand?

I'm going to presume you mean role.

I suspect it does somewhat depend on your area, but here, 1st/2nd AD's, decent producers, good location scouts, sound guys and gaffers with their own equipment.

The easiest roles to fill are Actors and camera owners who want to be DP's.

The trick though is to be good at what you do, be able to work with others and be reliable, more than what specific duty you're doing. If you have a skill that is in high demand can though help you break in easier. I broke in through the First AD role, but First AD was very similar to my previous job for over a decade. You should work towards your strengths and your passions and work towards developing solid relationships instead of considering an area that isn't going fulfill you and may make you miserable in the long run.

Last edited:
The question's kinda like asking which major body organ is THE most valuable.

I mean, obviously, it's the brain, so... shall I remove your entire integumentary system?
How about your skeletal system?
The brain is in the most demand, so how about we ixne the old circulatory or respiratory...

See?
It's a group effort, all the way down from marketing to craft services.

Animated-gif-body-partsr-picture-moving.gif

Last edited:
I feel like it depends on how good you want to be.
I want to be good enough to work on large indies. I feel that i can't achieve that unless i specialize. I'll probably quit directing and looking for jobs in the camera department for a while and try to focus more on writing and producing. How's the demand for writers compared to the other fields?

Marketing. The actual movie is only secondary. Seriously.

Good luck.
Well, this thread was sort of meant as market research into the indie job market. Maybe I should partner up with some of my buddies who are studying marketing.

No single department. Here are the most in demand skills, in the order of importance as I have found them in my experience freelancing.

#1 Interpersonal communication - how does your personality influence the set? Does it make it a more or less enjoyable place to be. Can you roll with the punches or are you a constant source of stress and negativity. Do you treat people with respect? Etc.

#2 Thinking/multitasking on the fly while under duress - you've got to be able to resolve multiple issues quickly, sometimes simultaneously, while under performing in front of others (yes, crafts people are performing their craft in front of the crew so this is a broader definition of performing that includes crew as well as actors) on a very tight schedule. And you've got to be able to do this without loosing your cool and breaking #1 above. This part, and #1 in general, tend to be the most difficult for me.

#3 Understanding of storytelling. Do you "grok" what the Director (or Producer) is trying to accomplish, and can you apply your skillset in service of that goal? Does your contribution serve to enhance the storytelling in every possible way, or are you unable to gel with the Director's vision resulting in your work fighting against the film?

#4 Technical proficiency. Are you a master of what you do?

I could make the most beautiful images anyone has ever seen in their life, but if I cannot do #1-#3 no one is going to care about #4 and therefore not hire me, ever. Period.

Last edited:
Back