Sucker Punch: worst movie of the year, or just not the movie you signed up for?

Sucker Punch was a shallow, and fairy terrible, film.

Having said that, I like it. In particular, the art direction and worldscapes. Probably for the same reasons that I really like the film version of Schumacher's adaptation of Phantom of the Opera. Not a genuine work of art, but man it looked great and had so much potential!

I dunno why Sucker Punch takes so much heat for being "bad", though. Even the soundtrack is decent. It's not like there's any shortage of other terrible movies out there.

Lame...
The movie, even though I've cried a lot...
Well... I said it was the last DECENT movie I've seen.
Not super duper good or anything.
In other words: I've seen a lot of other movies that were even MORE lame.
Tallest midget and all that. ;)

I thought Love and Other Drugs was just terrible... not Sucker Punch terrible but still terrible.
Yeah, well... Maybe in ten years I'll watch it again.
Maybe.

:)

Sucker Punch was a shallow, and fairy terrible, film.

Having said that, I like it. In particular, the art direction and worldscapes. Probably for the same reasons that I really like the film version of Schumacher's adaptation of Phantom of the Opera. Not a genuine work of art, but man it looked great and had so much potential!

I dunno why Sucker Punch takes so much heat for being "bad", though. Even the soundtrack is decent. It's not like there's any shortage of other terrible movies out there.

I feel exactly the same way. The script was a mess, but I'm still a sucker for good visuals. And, for me, anyway, it was never boring.

I actually wish I'd seen the original cut first, though - not the director's cut. The version I saw did feel a bit overlong, and I could have done without the strangely out-of-place Moulin Rouge-esque musical extravaganza.

It's a fine film. It never tries to be anything more than what it is, which is a ridiculously massive fantasy. While it is by no means a good film, it is also definitely not even among the worst.

Did you expect me to buy that?

I could offer you 100 more convincing reasons why Sucker Punch is the cinematic sign of the devil.

I give it a 4/10. But a whole heap of films in 2011 deserved 3's and even 2's (Sanctum, Zookeeper, The Three Musketeers). In fact it's by far the worst decade so far this millenium in my opinion.

I was dragged to see this film with my ex in the theater and it was the wrost two hours of my life. I don't know, maybe it's a girl thing.
Although "the wrost two hours of my life" may be slight hyperbole, let me assure the film's allure does not fall short of only girl-dom.

Like Glamour magazine - it's posturing doesn't hide it's lack of substance.
2012%2009%2018%20Glamour%20Magazine%20Covers_zpsf2cfaeab.png

sucker_punch___wallpaper_by_lainiwakura86-d3d0qsc.jpg

I was dragged to see this film with my ex in the theater and it was the wrost two hours of my life. I don't know, maybe it's a girl thing.

No, it's not a girl thing. It really is one of the all time worst, for me. After having several more months to reflect on it, I still feel the same. I don't give a rat's ass about awesome visuals, when the story is as boring as I found this to be. I would rather watch something along the lines of Bob Clark's DEATHDREAM, or any other cheap indie with some meat to it.

As for a few other mentions, I was at least interested in SANCTUM. The visuals actually added to the drama. ZOO KEEPER was boring, but I still liked it 100 times more than SUCKer. :lol:

Last edited:
Did anybody besides Nick even watch the dang video I posted a link to? I think it'd be pretty difficult to refute his claims. Doesn't make the movie good, but I think it's clear that Snyder was going for more than just eye candy.

Sure, I watched it. I thought his reasoning was definitely a bit of a stretch. :)

Who makes a movie to tell the deliberately attracted audience that they are disgusting for coming to see said movie? :huh:

Did anybody besides Nick even watch the dang video I posted a link to?

I watched both parts:

Part One

Part Two

I agree with the "Pretentious" insert. :yes: While it's nice that the movie had something to say, I could barely stay awake (in two attempts) to appreciate the in your face visuals, let alone be in the right frame of mind to remotely care about the subtext. It was a total disconnect.

Fair enough. And thanks for posting Part 2, Scoopic.

I don't necessarily agree with every assertion this guy makes, but I do think he's correct in pointing out that Snyder had some deeper intentions than what most of us have recognized.

I also watched both parts and thought the entire piece was classic "inch filler for a paycheck", the journalistic equivalent to allowing excessive long cuts in your indie film BECAUSE without them there'd be only 60mins of material.

Back