Networking with other filmmakers?

What are some good ways to network with other filmmakers and meet possible collaborators?

Not exactly sure where the "land of ice and snow" is, but if you have Kijiji, it's a great way to start. There's communities and events or something. I found a few people by posting on there and also found a local acting workshop that I joined up with, which was also very fruitful for networking. I attend any/all local film festivals I can, any workshops related to filmmaking. I also volunteer at some local theatre events like Fringe. And I found (and now am on the committee for) a local organization promoting media arts in my city.

I would check out local newspapers, museums, libraries and theatres; see if there are any events posted.

CraigL

What are some good ways to network with other filmmakers and meet possible collaborators?

http://ses.fi/en/home/

This might be a good place to start. In a way you are lucky enough to live in a nation with a long and rich history of a nationally supported cinema scene. If you can get past the geography of the situation (maybe you are in a remote area?) there should be a great deal going on up there ... somewhere.

You might have open/closed groups on Facebook, that some local filmmakers may have established.

Haven't looked at facebook groups yet. Thanks for the tip.

If you can get past the geography of the situation (maybe you are in a remote area?)
Yeah, that seams to be the biggest problem. Most people I have met over the internet live across the country so doing any project together would be hard.

Yeah, that seams to be the biggest problem. Most people I have met over the internet live across the country so doing any project together would be hard.

You have to do some deep soul searching. If filmmaking is your dream, are you going to let something as simple as geography stop you?

Photon, I have recently sourced my actors from theater groups, I rarely use any more websites, instead I send email to the local hobby theather email distribution lists and get actors from there.

Then you will have much better change to get actors that actually know how to act and do not have wrong kind of attitudes.

Of course then you as a film maker have to make sure that you are PRO yourself.

Cannot see any reason why this kind of behaviour would not work in another countries as well.

Only problem with people from theater is that they always overact because they are used to do that in theater.

Back