Most Intense Scenes

Interesting list I caught on Rottentomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/taxi_driver/news/1922995/3/the_15_most_intense_movie_moments/

Let's add to it.

Though it's a cool list the first thing that comes to mind for me is that I think this list tends to be on the side of listing scenes that are difficult to watch, often because they're just gruesome or grotesque, or because they end in extreme bloodshed. I think in this respect, they kind of miss the mark.

First of all, it doesn't have to end in blood to be intense; the threat of it can be more than enough. In that respect, how about "Dark Knight".

Maggie Gyllenhaal's character is face-to-face with Joker, and he's doing the whole "Do you wanna know how I got these scars" bit. We've already seen this routine end in death, when Joker killed that gangster
, and Ledgers' performance is enough to make an audience genuinely scared of this character. The haunting score certainly didn't hurt.

Then, there are those scenes that are just emotionally difficult to watch.

In "Forrest Gump", when
Jenny stands on the edge of the bridge, and asks Forrest if he thinks she could fly if she jumped off. Similarly,
in "Shawshank", when
Brooks (the old dude with the bird) takes his life, and then again later, when Red looks like he might do the same.

This article mentions "Bambi", and rightfully-so. I think "The Lion King" is worth mentioning for the same obvious reason. However, if you want to see an intense scene in an animated kids' movie, I don't think anything holds a candle to
the near-death
scene in "Toy Story 3".
Holy Crap my heart was in my throat during that scene, and I saw it as a freaking adult!
:lol:

By the way, if we're going to talk Tarantino, WOW, did this article choose the wrong scene (although, it is a tense scene). But c'mon, are you freaking kidding me?! You're not going to mention the glass of milk scene in "Inglorious Basterds"? And for "Pulp Fiction", they only half got it right, by mentioning the resolution of the craziness in the basement. But they got it half-wrong, by not pointing out the parts that were so intense.
Bruce Willis' character is being stared-down by the gimp, as we hear what horrible-ness is happening in the other room. In a flury, he escapes, but then when he's at the front door, with freedom just a few steps away, his concience gets the better of him, forcing him to start searching for which weapon to yield.
And for "Kill Bill", they mention the Crazy 88's scene. Cool scene, but so over-the-top-gory that it's more silly than intense. You want intense?
"My name is Buck, and I came here to...", but then Beatrix escapes, barely able to move.

How about in "The Professional", when
our heroine returns home from her grocery shopping-trip, to find her family has been gunned-down by a maniacal Gary Oldman?

What about "Million Dollar Baby", when he
reveals the meaning of "moi cushle", just before pulling the plug? If that scene doens't drive you to tears, I simply cannot trust you!
:)

How about "Anchorman", when
Brick kills a man with a trident!
And then, later, we learn that
the network isn't actually concerned about the lack of an old wooden ship.

Okay, that last one was a joke. Talk amongst yourselves.

The final scene in "Requiem for a Dream." Probably the most haunting thing I've seen in a film, as I was struck by the sheer debauchery and gloom of it all -- especially Jennifer Connelly's part. That movie was so, so good... but such a downer. Man. Drugs does bad shit to you.

Maggie Gyllenhaal's character is face-to-face with Joker, and he's doing the whole "Do you wanna know how I got these scars" bit. We've already seen this routine end in death, when Joker killed that gangster, and Ledgers' performance is enough to make an audience genuinely scared of this character. The haunting score certainly didn't hurt.

Yeah, that is a brilliant scene. And speaking of the haunting score, if by that you mean that
kind of humming sound as the camera spins around the two
, then yeah, I've also always thought that was brilliant.

For me, perhaps the benchmark of intense movie scenes has long been the one in The Abyss where in
Bud has to revive Lindsey after she has drowned. I'm not sure I've ever seen one more intense or as moving when he does succeed.

In Michael Haneke's Caché/Hidden when
Majid commits suicide by cutting his own throat
which happens so unexpectedly that I couldn't believe what I just saw.

The ending of "The Doom Generation."
Pretty much all of "The Girl Next Door" (not the high-school comedy one...the other one)
The downward spiral to hell that is "Martyrs."

"Tideland"...just "Tideland". Moreso for how whimsical it is.
"Phenomenon". The pit scene. Intense, and it just keeps going. If you seen it, you know what I mean.
"Hard Revenge Milly". I was expecting action. I was expecting gore. I was not expecting the ending and was absolutely riveted.
"Noriko's Dinner Table" though I couldn't pick a scene. Related, "Suicide Club" wins for the song, I think.
"Inland Empire" the face scared the living hell out of me. Particularly since it was 3 hours into focusing on symbols and abstractions trying to make sense of it.
"Hour of the Wolf" and now, time for silence!

Leaving Las Vegas. Pretty much all of it, but the ending sent me home feeling incredibly depressed and filled with sadness. I don't think I ever want to see that movie again.

Back