If you could live anywhere?

Where would you live if you could live anywhere? Some factors to consider: the climate, filmmaking opportunities, cost of living, day job salary etc. As soon as I'm done with school, I'm planning on moving somewhere nicer than backwaters of Finland.

Hawaii, particularly Maui and Kauai are pretty special places. Work: not so much.

Bali - stunning, awe inspiring. Cost of living: low. Work: forget it.

New Zealand: stunning. Work: some but in film, little. You'd need a work visa.

Australia: boy the British made a mistake not keeping (they themselves did of course steal it from the indigenous people) this resource rich and amazing country. Sydney: great city and that view across the Harbor Bridge: stunning. Work: plenty and the pay is good. Film work: some but not enough.

Last edited:
The Waimea area of Kauai, Hawaii, but anywhere on Kauai would be fine. My wife and I honeymooned on Kauai and loved it there. #1 on the retirement list.

Waimea-Canyon-949x450-1a-949x450.jpg

#2 is the Poipu area (which is only about 30 minutes away):

poipu_beach.jpg

The cabin. South shore of lake superior. Not another soul for miles. Solar power, wood fire, a composting toilet, and a well, what else do you need?

I'm happy in London, but I'd also be happy in New York or LA. I'm a big city kind of guy, for the most part, and can't imagine living in a smaller city for the foreseeable future.

Have I mentioned that I love Pittsburgh? If not, it's awesome. My first couple years here it was just a place. A couple years after that, I wanted to leave. Now, I've come to love it and it's the best place I could hope to be in.

If I could live anywhere, that would depend on the stage of my life. As I write this, I am thinking of my retirement home, which could be in some Pacific island, Hawaii, or California.

New Zealand or Australia would also be a possibility for my retirement.

But, right now, I'll stay on the West coast.

Back